Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just as an aside i will me immensely disappointed if, for the next time you need a "please hold the line" intermission song, you don't use the right Mainframe song version

the one it was always meant to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Just as an aside i will me immensely disappointed if, for the next time you need a "please hold the line" intermission song, you don't use the right Mainframe song version

the one it was always meant to be

:swoon:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Today in that hot hot Borderlands 2 action, Panzer and I revisit the area we just came from due to how much it kicks rear end!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also because of like sidequests or something idk

Episode #08: Too Dumb for Puzzles

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did you even feel anything as you cut down all those Loader Bots?

You monster.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

GlaDOS posted:

Did you even feel anything as you cut down all those innocent Loader Bots?

You monster.

Fixed

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Why must the universe punish the good?

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
Enemies respawning for half of forever is this game's worst feature, and I swear it's like half as much worse in the Pre-Sequel.

Very not fun fact: Constructors are immune to slag, as are most bosses and some random enemies. This sucks all the fun oxygen from Ultimate Vault Hunter modes.

Less fun fact: Shotgun 1340 is only the third least annoying gun in the game.

Who cares fact: The Runner's missile turret can fire a seeking missile burst with the alt-fire. Enabling PhysX breaks this.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Today's Borderlands 2 video proves two things:
1) wilhelm is unstoppable, invincible, immortal
2) i can't use OBS properly
One of these is a lie. Can you guess which?

Episode #09: oh no, it's wilhelm

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wilhelm is a weird boss since if you stick with Tina a tiny little bit more and do her (very easy and quick) quests you get exactly what you need to dissolve him (and the next 30 mins of game) a new rear end in a top hat.

Not that he isnt incredibly easy in the first place.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 5, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's me, I'm the weirdo who genuinely enjoys Tiny Tina's dumb dialogue.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, the dialogue you can take or leave (I can see what they were going for, but I can slso see why people might not like it so much), but I do have a soft spot for Tiny Tina the character. I can't really say why yet, since it has more to do with her personal quest, but... She's refreshing, in a way, a lot like someone else we'll meet later, in that she doesn't really try and waste time trying to be "likable" or defending her actions for some great and higher purpose. She's here to blow poo poo up, and I can respect that, and if there were more characters like that, I might have a different opinion about the game.

But this is the game we have, and it keeps trying to tell us we're feeling things I don't actually feel. Wilhelm is a good example, someone whom the game keeps trying to sell as this insurmountable badassed threat but whom I completely loving forgot about until you mentioned him in the title. He had that little impact on me. Meanwhile, I remember the No Hard Feelings quest and the TMNR quest last episode quite favorably, because they were moments that came, were funny, and didn't overstay their damned welcome.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally I think Tiny Tina works as a character who isn’t always pleasant to be around, which is the point as she’s the best example in game of how Pandora destroys everyone.

She’s a happy little girl who lives alone in a wasteland and blows things up for fun, the implications of how this happened are awful enough, her quests where you learn the truth are much worse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When I first played I thought Wilhelm was meant to be a joke boss where they hype him up and then you slaughter him.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I don't find Tina or Claptrap annoying. I think I'm broken.

You can change the drop rates of grenade mods : weapons : player skins in cheat engine, but I've never messed with those settings before.

You missed a lot of loot points by skipping all those Varkid poops.

Varkids are annoying. Like the Goliaths, they can level up into badasses, eventually spawning "Vermivorous the Invincible". People used to farm this boss for drops. Varkids only seem to show up here and, I think, one other area we haven't been to yet, but my memory is a bit hazy.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

So first of all, I love Tiny Tina but yeah her intro is awkward as hell.

Second of all, Wilhelm. Wilhelm is a boring character but BL2 also kind of hosed up a little with his presentation. Everyone in the game builds up how rad he is and then he goes down like a chump - the game wants to question why that is, but most people write it off as the game just being stupid and poorly written. Because they didn't give you enough hints to make you think that wasn't the case due to shoddy design.

If you don't kill Wilhelm fast enough (and unfortunately everyone does because he's a little bitch) then you can hear some pretty weird lines from him. The implication Gearbox wanted to make was that Jack set Wilhelm up for a fall - infected him with a computer virus/poisoned his human body - and then sent him out to die to the Vault Hunters. Why? Because the game has spent the whole time building him up as this huge badass so whatever he's guarding must be super important and something Jack doesn't want you to have. Basically Jack is sacrificing Wilhelm to make players trust the power core they got and not suspect it's a trap. Unfortunately, Gearbox didn't write this well enough and the game never revisits this after Wilhelm is dead and the trap is sprung. So all you get is "Wilhelm is the biggest badass in all the land!" "Oh you killed him, great, take his poo poo" and then you probably get distracted with side quests and by the time you plug in the power core and it all goes to hell for Sanctuary, it's too late. You've already forgotten everything about Wilhelm because he just doesn't matter.

If Gearbox was smart, they would have had you fight Wilhelm earlier in the game and just get absolutely loving dunked on. That way when you come back later and beat his rear end, you actually know something's wrong. Instead, you've only had people tell you Wilhelm was powerful and it just feels like the game was lying to you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

So first of all, I love Tiny Tina but yeah her intro is awkward as hell.

Second of all, Wilhelm. Wilhelm is a boring character but BL2 also kind of hosed up a little with his presentation. Everyone in the game builds up how rad he is and then he goes down like a chump - the game wants to question why that is, but most people write it off as the game just being stupid and poorly written. Because they didn't give you enough hints to make you think that wasn't the case due to shoddy design.

If you don't kill Wilhelm fast enough (and unfortunately everyone does because he's a little bitch) then you can hear some pretty weird lines from him. The implication Gearbox wanted to make was that Jack set Wilhelm up for a fall - infected him with a computer virus/poisoned his human body - and then sent him out to die to the Vault Hunters. Why? Because the game has spent the whole time building him up as this huge badass so whatever he's guarding must be super important and something Jack doesn't want you to have. Basically Jack is sacrificing Wilhelm to make players trust the power core they got and not suspect it's a trap. Unfortunately, Gearbox didn't write this well enough and the game never revisits this after Wilhelm is dead and the trap is sprung. So all you get is "Wilhelm is the biggest badass in all the land!" "Oh you killed him, great, take his poo poo" and then you probably get distracted with side quests and by the time you plug in the power core and it all goes to hell for Sanctuary, it's too late. You've already forgotten everything about Wilhelm because he just doesn't matter.

If Gearbox was smart, they would have had you fight Wilhelm earlier in the game and just get absolutely loving dunked on. That way when you come back later and beat his rear end, you actually know something's wrong. Instead, you've only had people tell you Wilhelm was powerful and it just feels like the game was lying to you.

You say that but I just got the impression that everyone sucks the second you're not controlling them and these new vault hunters are incredible because you're playing as one, as is usually the case.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Sure, but the game still wanted to imply Jack sabotaged Wilhelm and the game does such a poor job of getting this across that I wanted to point it out because nearly everyone misses it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Sure, but the game still wanted to imply Jack sabotaged Wilhelm and the game does such a poor job of getting this across that I wanted to point it out because nearly everyone misses it.

Oh yeah, that's totally a fair read, but my thing was 'Wow, that guy was a tin shack instead of brick shithouse like I'd expect a robot that can throw a traincar at me to be. Wait, what the gently caress? No, don't plug any part of this idiot into Sanctuary, are you crazy?! You might as well open the fusebox and throw a bucket of water on it and save some time!'

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:torgue: PLOT CONTRIVANCE :torgue:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yo legitimate thanks for typing this out because it says what i generally wanted to post at some point but have been far, far too lazy to do

Rigged Death Trap posted:

:torgue: PLOT CONTRIVANCE :torgue:

:hmmyes:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

You know what would have been a good way to do it, instead of the stupid construction robot when saving Roland have it be Wilhelm and he's always ridiculously high level there, and Roland will make you run away after surviving for say, 60 seconds.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Or you need to find a way to rescue Roland without being able to just brute force Wilhelm to death.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

god lilith is so loving cool

Episode #10: Soup.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Having watched the Tales from the Borderlands LP now it's really upsetting watching all these loader-bots get torn to shreds.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Night10194 posted:

Having watched the Tales from the Borderlands LP now it's really upsetting watching all these loader-bots get torn to shreds.

But they have 5 critical spots

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think you mean "Rakknarok", not "Rakkpocalypse", Panzer. :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As annoying as EXP Loaders are HOT Loaders are my nemesis.

Also very impressed by your Homer levels of parking accuracy

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Now, now. Loader Bot was great because he was always there for the Tales protags when they needed him. Who are these Loader Bots here for? Handsome Jack! So basically, gently caress them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's ok folks, we're going to take a break from slaughtering all the loader bots by taking a trip to the mystical farts zone

Episode #11: Butts and Booby

(apologies for my audio being louder than panzer/game for next handful of episodes-- around that time i got in the habit of streaming like every day with a bunch of games with different audio levels and it turns out i'm bad at remembering to balance things out ahead of time)

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kaubocks posted:

it's ok folks, we're going to take a break from slaughtering all the loader bots by taking a trip to the mystical farts zone

Episode #11: Butts and Booby

(apologies for my audio being louder than panzer/game for next handful of episodes-- around that time i got in the habit of streaming like every day with a bunch of games with different audio levels and it turns out i'm bad at remembering to balance things out ahead of time)

Caustic caverns is bad and you should feel bad, ain’t nothin there but farts and liquid farts

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I like the Caustic Caverns and am now worried about what that might say about my subconscious

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

friends, i don't even know where to begin with this one

Episode #12: Ultimate Gub

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I don't really know where you wanted to begin, but I'll throw something in there: Gearbox should really, really be thankful for Dameon Clarke, because it is only by virtue of his voice acting that Handsome Jack works as a villain at all. I remembered that these games aren't exactly the pinnacle of good writing, but man... in order to make a proper bad guy, you have to make a personal connection, a reason to want to fight them. And since the characters used for this game are blank slates with one (at most) piece of characterization for them (and that only if you bother with finding all the items with their backstories on them) and are completely unconnected from the last game by nature... the only trick they have for establishing villainy is continued escalation. Which, given that the characters all have a... loose at best grip of ethics, means it just balloons past all points of believability and into parody. Clarke actually gets that and plays Jack as such, so he himself works, but it looks like the entire rest of the writing crew missed that memo because he keeps being treated as this deadly serious threat to be taken seriously. Nothing in BL1 is anywhere near as serious, so I actually remember that game somewhat fondly. This... is a mess.

I suppose there was an attempt at pathos here with the players who played Mortdecai last time, but... I didn't really play Mortdecai, and the heroes of last game are even more interchangeable than this one. Maybe it works for them a little better?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
handsome jack has absolutely no consistency in his personality and it didn't even make him fun to hate

one of tales from the borderlands' greatest achievements is that it refined him into something resembling an actual character

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The extent to which Tales manages to make Borderlands into an actual story and put characters in it is nothing short of amazing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I fuckin love the conference call. Filling an entire zone with nothing but bullets.

Also rip bloodwing I guess :geno: I guess she is probably the most effective character skill of BL1, from what I remember anyways.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Phasewalk and Scorpio Turret were better.
One let you get out of a sticky situation and recharge shields, the other tanked a bit and did some acceptable damage.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Here's a tip to prevent selling unequipped guns and gear you want to keep. Star them in the inventory. Click the star icon on the right and if it's set, it won't let you sell it when randomly dumping trash to the vendors.

I missed the intro to stalkers and crystalisks. Crystalisks are barely an issue in the game if i remember correctly, but all you need to do is attack their shins and they die. Stalkers only suck if you don't have any electric weapons on hand. They are fast, and badasses will hunt you down and kill you until they're dead in higher difficulties.

Raks aren't worth fighting for the most part. If you ignore them, they ignore you.

Again, you really should be shooting the poo poo piles. They can drop guns and gear just like chests.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

mastersord posted:

Here's a tip to prevent selling unequipped guns and gear you want to keep. Star them in the inventory. Click the star icon on the right and if it's set, it won't let you sell it when randomly dumping trash to the vendors.

I missed the intro to stalkers and crystalisks. Crystalisks are barely an issue in the game if i remember correctly, but all you need to do is attack their shins and they die. Stalkers only suck if you don't have any electric weapons on hand. They are fast, and badasses will hunt you down and kill you until they're dead in higher difficulties.

Raks aren't worth fighting for the most part. If you ignore them, they ignore you.

Again, you really should be shooting the poo poo piles. They can drop guns and gear just like chests.

my man i am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that all your posts including this one have been words of advice for people new to the series since we don't get really in depth with mechanics in this LSP but i need to point out two things:

1) the game absolutely does not prevent you from selling items you favorited. the only thing favoriting does is make it so if you bulk sell trash it'll sell everything not favorited.

2) we're not going to slow down to punch every pile of poop that sounds really boring to watch and entirely unnecessary when we can just go to sanctuary and open all the boxes/chests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I compulsively loot everything i can possibly loot, including poo poo piles, but i assure you it's super not worth it. Even with cheat engine on, they never have anything of value.

Edit - Honestly cheat engine really removes the need to do a lot of obsessive looting. If you're not playing with cheat engine, you could be running around with lovely guns for a lot longer and you'll be frustrated enough to try to loot absolutely everything you can. With it on, you've probably got pretty good guns and any upgrades you need will come naturally while playing.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 15, 2018