Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Borderlands 2! You all know it. It's sold millions of copies! But in case you don't know it, I can give you a very quick rundown.

Borderlands 2 is a first person shooter set on the shithole planet Pandora overrun by psychos, mad robots, and wildlife that all want to kill you. There's some kind of story going on where the CEO of an evil corporation is trying to awaken a mystical beast to destroy the planet but that's not really that important. Here's what is important:

- you can play as a handful of different characters who all have unique abilties
- the main draw of the game is the piles and piles of sweet loot and better guns you can find
- Panzer and I have played this game way too drat much!

Seriously there was a period of about two solid years where we repeatedly played through the Borderlands games. We love them, and we've wanted to LP them for a while, but every time we tried it just never felt right. For us the comfort in Borderlands was just a way for us to shoot the poo poo while we shoot the poo poo. So we figured the best way to retain this casual approach would be to stream it!

For the past several weeks Panzer and I have been streaming Borderlands 2 on my Twitch channel. If you care to catch us live, we usually play on Sundays at 3PM PST. If you can't be around for them or the streaming thing just isn't your scene, then this thread is for you! Please enjoy this easily paused and rewound format to watch at your own pace. If you wish to experience our Twitch chat along with the video, simply enable Closed Captions on the video! If you don't care for chat, don't sweat-- just leave that sucker off! Panzer and I do our best to explicitly mention if we're speaking to or answering questions from chat so you shouldn't find us saying random things out of context.

Due to the casual stream format, videos will typically be around 25-45 minutes long. Currently going for two uploads a week but may bump up to three if we start rocketing ahead of our backlog. Also, fair warning to the Borderlands purists out there... we cheat our asses off. Where's the fun in the game if we aren't getting sick guns all the time? General commentary/video/audio quality might be a little all over the place as we go on due to me not editing this by hand, but the moment we actually start to care about that stuff is when we lose track of why we like to play Borderlands in the first place. Our playthrough is going to be chill as gently caress, yo.

We don't have a game spoiler policy, but all we ask is if you've seen our streams to not explicitly tell people what we do in future videos!

Panzer will be playing as Gaige; the first DLC character released for the game. Gaige's action skill is to summon a useful robot friend who punches things. Aside from that she has a special ability where the more bullets she shoots without manually reloading the more powerful she gets. The downside to this is she becomes more and more inaccurate as this goes on. Typically if you hear us talking about "stacks", this is what we're referring to.

If you want to learn more about Gaige's skill trees, you can find it here. Panzer primarily focuses on the right tree with a little bit of the left.

I will be playing as Krieg; the second and last DLC character released for the game. Krieg's action skill is to become enraged, increasing his movement speed and melee damage by ridiculous amounts. Aside from that he also has an ability where he becomes the only character in the game who opens himself up to friendly fire damage which is incredible synergy with the girl who literally can't aim and I definitely won't get fed up about this down the road.

If you want to learn more about Krieg's skill trees, you can find it here. I primarily focus on the middle tree but will likely bounce around.

Episode #01: Warming Up in a Tundra
Episode #02: Moist Claptrap
Episode #03: I Love CheatEngine
Episode #04: Unstuck in Time
Episode #05: Lilith Did Everything Wrong
Episode #06: High Level Shirtless Men
Episode #07: Mikey Neumann Appreciation Station
Episode #08: Too Dumb for Puzzles
Episode #09: oh no, it's wilhelm
Episode #10: Soup.
Episode #11: Butts and Booby
Episode #12: Ultimate Gub
Episode #13: Ultimate Realization
Episode #14: The One Where I Finally Snap About Low-Level Krieg Sucking
Episode #15: An Extremely Jacked Small Child
Episode #16: Three Deaths
Episode #17: An Hour of Lynchwood
Episode #18: Badasses Don't Look at Explosions
Episode #19: Skeleton Keys
Episode #20: A Different Perspective
Episode #21: Lava's Rising
Episode #22: Bringer of Death
Episode #23: Open Concept Dumpster
Episode #24: You'll Remember
Episode #25: Midnight Star
Episode #26: Oh, Worm?
Episode #27: Krieg, Motivational Speaker
Episode #28: Torgue's Big Beat-off
Episode #29: My Very Close Quarters Exploding rear end
Episode #30: A Bang and a Whimper
Episode #31: The Hungry Games
Episode #32: Hammerlock's Uncomfortably Racist Jerk-off Session
Episode #33: Rock Hard Monster Skeleton
Episode #34: Jack in the Box
Episode #35: The Good DLC
Episode #36: Four Kings
Episode #37: TAFY
Episode #38: Lightning Bolt
Episode #39: Never-ending Battle
Episode #40: Unicorn Poop
Episode #41: Funday Sunday Gunday
Episode #42: Raid Night
Episode #43: From Hero to Zero
Episode #44: Raid on Digistruct Peak
Episode #45: The Hardest Boss of All
Episode #46: Commander Lilith and the Free DLC
Episode #47: The Sponge Returns
Episode #48: Space Cowboy
Episode #49: In Memoriam
Episode #50: Bloodshart Rampots
Episode #51: Zed's Nightmare
Episode #52: Death of a Talesman
Episode #53: ugh

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have attempted to replay this game 3 times after my first clear and I could not get past this slow rear end opening. Godspeed y'all. Enjoy.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, friendly fire in the game about shooting all the things :smugdog:

Well you do tend to soak decent amounts of damage regardless, so it depends I guess.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I remember really liking Borderlands for ages and buying 2 and playing the poo poo out of it until right before the first DLC hit, when I suddenly and violently didn't like it anymore. I don't know whether I stopped liking it or if I never liked it and merely stopped deluding myself, but one day I loving loved Borderlands and the next I never wanted to play it again.

I still dig its look though and I got no problems with people who do still earnestly love it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I started out with B2, and found it boring until Gibbed put out his save editor, allowing me to play with my favourite guns and items all through the game, and holy poo poo it became super fun. No more comparing weapons, no more wondering about builds, just shooting baddies all day erryday :allears:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I think I gave up on this one like 3/4 of the way through the main game. Playing Borderlands single-player will do that, I think. Still not gonna stop me from reinstalling and playing along.

CommissarMega posted:

I started out with B2, and found it boring until Gibbed put out his save editor, allowing me to play with my favourite guns and items all through the game, and holy poo poo it became super fun. No more comparing weapons, no more wondering about builds, just shooting baddies all day erryday :allears:
I might have to look this up.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

This game owns and has one of the single best DLCs of all time with Tina's D&D adventure.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Tina's DLC is p. good (and the ending's surprisingly emotional, especially for Borderlands) but the best DLC in this game, indeed any game ever made, is MR. TORGUE'S DLC SQUEEDLYDEEDLYMOOOOW! :torgue:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't be surprised if Borderlands 3 releases sometime during this LP because Kaubocks is making people remember this franchise existed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gaige is terrible until you get stacks and then when you get stacks she just yells when do you literally anything and its great. Also she can kill anything in like 2 hits, that's good too I guess.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, Gaige is definitely the best player character in the game (sorry, Krieg). I remember I had 400 Anarchy once, fired my shotgun at a trash pile right in front of me, missed and stillkilled some monster I wasn't even aware of behind me :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Staring at and firing into the ground with :torgue: shotgun while jumping around blindly has never been so fun!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks for doing this LP Kaubocks. I tried to beat the game myself once upon a time but a combination of a bad TV, bad eyes, not being sure when I'm doing as much damage as I should be at this point, and being alone and not on Xbox Live meant I was constantly getting owned by all the hostile pinpoint snipers that double as standard enemies of Pandora.

Since you two are a couple of experts I'm sure you'll make way more progress than I did.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, Gaige is definitely the best player character in the game (sorry, Krieg).

Yeah, last time I played Gaige I used the same build Panzer is working towards. It really is a blast once you build up enough steam.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
God drat this game. I ended up missing a session with my friends and ended up severely underleveled which made the game unfun as hell. Either I couldn't do poo poo except die on one hit in their game or they would rush forward in my game and one-shot everything themselves. That quickly killed the humor and other things for me. Only beat the first two DLCs before I realized playing this game solo was stupid. That and the drops giving me nothing.

Godspeed with this LP. It's like a time-capsule of 2011 memes.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alavaria posted:

Yeah, friendly fire in the game about shooting all the things :smugdog:

Well you do tend to soak decent amounts of damage regardless, so it depends I guess.

the amount of damage i can normally take will mean nothing when one of the people that can hit me gets a 700% damage boost (admittedly i only take a fraction of that but jesus christ gaige)

CommissarMega posted:

yeah! cheat your rear end off! it's the only way to play!!

Crabtree posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Borderlands 3 releases sometime during this LP because Kaubocks is making people remember this franchise existed.

lol panzer and i get more and more disappointed with every passing E3 that bl3 doesn't get announced.

when the gently caress is borderlands 3 !!!!!!!!!!

RareAcumen posted:

you two are a couple of experts

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I stopped playing for a long time after a certain mission with Tiny Tina that actually made me think "Jesus Christ I'm a loving war criminal" I'm surprised to hear her DLC is good, I hate the character and voice actor. Did manage to finish it but not the Pre-Sequel.

Looking forward to see the many friendly fire deaths. I only regret there's not an autogyro for you to slam sideways into a building with. You know, like an expert?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Quicksilver6 posted:

I stopped playing for a long time after a certain mission with Tiny Tina that actually made me think "Jesus Christ I'm a loving war criminal"

To be fair, everyone on Pandora has done some hosed up poo poo. Which mission are you talking about here?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fedule posted:

I remember really liking Borderlands for ages and buying 2 and playing the poo poo out of it until right before the first DLC hit, when I suddenly and violently didn't like it anymore. I don't know whether I stopped liking it or if I never liked it and merely stopped deluding myself, but one day I loving loved Borderlands and the next I never wanted to play it again.

I still dig its look though and I got no problems with people who do still earnestly love it.

Same but the last dlc where the endless hp bars finally did me in. I still liked the game though, it and RE6 got me through living out of a hotel for six months

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

To be fair, everyone on Pandora has done some hosed up poo poo. Which mission are you talking about here?

The one in which you guard a cave while she gleefully tortures a man who killed her parents until the man dies screaming. I know this game isn't serious but for some reason that rubbed me the wrong way. This was years ago, so who knows, maybe I was just burnt out on the game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Quicksilver6 posted:

The one in which you guard a cave while she gleefully tortures a man who killed her parents until the man dies screaming.

I dunno, I thought the humourous-yet-psychopathic tone was no different from the rest of the game. Maybe if such a scene was in Skyrim or something, I might get squicked too, but on Pandora that poo poo is just a regular Tuesday. That said, I'm not calling you a coward or anything; it's completely understandable to get squicked out by that; there's stuff I can't handle in other games too.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I dunno, I thought the humourous-yet-psychopathic tone was no different from the rest of the game. Maybe if such a scene was in Skyrim or something, I might get squicked too, but on Pandora that poo poo is just a regular Tuesday. That said, I'm not calling you a coward or anything; it's completely understandable to get squicked out by that; there's stuff I can't handle in other games too.

Somehow it's less horrific when the people dying screaming are armed, unrestrained and also insulting me before their gruesome death. I know, it's weird. It's cool though, I think I was just burning out on the game at the time. I'm glad I came back to get through the game, and of course, the TORGUE DLC BABY YEAHHHHHHHH

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tiny Tina is the Worst

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I honestly didn't find Tiny Tina all that annoying, though I do watch a lot of anime, so maybe I'm just inured to screechy little girls by now :v:

EDIT: Goddamn I've made a lot of posts. As crazy as it may sound, I don't think I realized how much I like this game :psyduck:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Also Kaubocks I just remembered I actually made a gun write up post in the old Tales from the Borderlands thread if you just want me to copy/paste it so you don't have to explain them.

RBA Starblade posted:

Tiny Tina is the Worst

You shut your drat mouth, I love Tina. She and Torgue are the best characters in this game (because Loader Bot isn't in it)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Quicksilver6 posted:

I stopped playing for a long time after a certain mission with Tiny Tina that actually made me think "Jesus Christ I'm a loving war criminal" I'm surprised to hear her DLC is good, I hate the character and voice actor. Did manage to finish it but not the Pre-Sequel.

Looking forward to see the many friendly fire deaths. I only regret there's not an autogyro for you to slam sideways into a building with. You know, like an expert?

I found Tina hard to like as a ten year old demolitions expert who is "crazy". I found Tina much easier to like as a ten year old Dungeon Master who just makes up poo poo on the fly and did literally no prep work. Maybe that's because at her age I was a Dungeon Master who made poo poo up on the fly and did literally no prep work.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Seriously there was a period of about two solid years where we repeatedly played through the Borderlands games. We love them, and we've wanted to LP them for a while, but every time we tried it just never felt right.

You certainly know better about the game than I do!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaubocks posted:

Borderlands 3: Homeworld 3: Deserts of Kharak 2

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I like Tiny Tina but I think part of that is because I didn't play through her DLC. v:v:v

Really looking forward to the rest of this LP, Borderlands is one of those weird series that I have a ton of trouble getting into but once I'm in I have equally as much trouble getting back out. Can't wait to see what kinds of ridiculous guns you two end up with as a result of your cheatengine shenanigans!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kaubocks posted:

lol panzer and i get more and more disappointed with every passing E3 that bl3 doesn't get announced.

I mean, the only card Gearbox seems to have up its sleeve at this point is the supposed rush to Borderlands 3 they had back in 2016 when Battleborn died a pathetic death and being the publisher for We Happy Few and apparently Fortnite? Like, they were supposed to have BL3, a hypothetical "new" Duke Nukem game and a Brothers in Arms. Is Randy now too scared to release anything these days or what?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Why is Borderlands 2 installed on my computer again help

Also, what are you using for your cheat engine settings? I'd like to make weapons spawns more interesting than "Every gun is legendary" but not sure what to set the spawns to.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I played with 100, 100, 40, 30, 20, 10, 5 (values ordered most common to legendary). For reference, the original values were 200,100, 10, 5, 1, 0.1, 0.01 (thought I think the last patch raised the rates a bit). For those who don't remember, the original, the chance to find a legendary was something like 1:10,000 before weighting of other rarities. You had better luck finding several shiny Pokemon*. This rate also applied to Boss drops.

The stuff about cheat engine only kicking in after Bewm Bewm is only because that fight unlocks the last equipment type and all rarities are allowed to drop. The only exception is The Hornet could drop from Knuckle Dragger

In a normal play-though, I would wait until TVM and UVM to turn Cheat Engine on.

*Prior to Gen IV-V mechanics

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

RickVoid posted:

Why is Borderlands 2 installed on my computer again help

Also, what are you using for your cheat engine settings? I'd like to make weapons spawns more interesting than "Every gun is legendary" but not sure what to set the spawns to.

kaubocks hid this cool image in the op

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Borderlands 3 chat: I hope Gaige returns, and I hope she finally built that third arm just for high fives.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Panzer Skank posted:

kaubocks hid this cool image in the op

poo poo. I think I just assumed that link was to cheat engine or something. Oops. Thanks for pointing it out Panzer.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Cheat Engine modding the drop rates is pretty much the only way I found this workable.

I still nurse hopes of one day doing a series MEGA-LP with three other random folks even though I don't have that much experience with this game because hey screwing around is fun too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only orange item that wasn't a level 5 shield or whatever I found in two playthroughs spawned off the final boss. It fell on it so we couldn't loot it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

God everytime I want to roll a new character in BL2 to get to that sweet kickass mid-game sweet point I remember how long the game takes for it to get rolling.
Why they make you suffer the grind to level 5 to get your action skill, then to 20 so you can actually start getting a skill loadout that matters I honestly cannot understand.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Why they make you suffer the grind to level 5 to get your action skill, then to 20 so you can actually start getting a skill loadout that matters I honestly cannot understand.

Does Cheat Engining your skills to max work in MP? 'Cos that's how I made my SP Borderlands 2 game fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Borderlands 2 is a well made game that absolutely does not break if you look at it funny.

Episode #02: Moist Claptrap