Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

corn in the bible posted:

Don't forget the fact that Irving didn't forget, he just didn't mention it because he didn't think it was important

This owns, actually

Yes I know the story of this game is ridiculous, that's why I dig it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

cheetah7071 posted:

As much as I'm in love with it I'm perfectly willing to describe FF8 as my favorite bad game

When I was playing it i used the phrase "fantastic despite being terrible"

Deadly Premonition my old friend.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Deadly Premonition my old friend.
yeah but the opposite, because ff8 is actually fun to play but the story is dumb

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My hottest FF take isn't "8 good" it's "7 aggressively mediocre"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

*materializes behind u w/glowing red eyes*

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
cheetah is correct

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I judge FFs 100% based on what mechanics are provided to build up characters, and Materia Is Boring. but still better than the FFs that have no such mechanics

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF7 was great because it was at the tail end of mainstream video game advertising with 'tude

Also looking forward to it costing $1200 on the Switch

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF7 was probably mind blowing if it was your first video game aimed at teenagers instead of children I'll grant

My main problem with it is the middle third is so meandering and purposeless. Like why are we even in the gold saucer besides "it was the only location on the world map we could access"?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I'm pretty excited about Isabelle being in smash

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1040762250800361472

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

FF7 is video gaming's equivalent of Metallica's Black Album. A massive hit beyond anyone's wildest dreams, but the creators choked on their own success, abandoning the fundamentals to chase another mainstream megahit and never rising above mediocrity thereafter

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Nah, X-2 came out

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Also Lightning Returns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Like IDK not the best role models.
At least two FF leads are thieves and one is an eco-terrorist mercenary who handed the fate of the world to the bad guy on a silver plate because he was lying to himself and everyone around him. I'm not sure where the role model idea comes from.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ceyton posted:

FF7 is video gaming's equivalent of Metallica's Black Album. A massive hit beyond anyone's wildest dreams, but the creators choked on their own success, abandoning the fundamentals to chase another mainstream megahit and never rising above mediocrity thereafter

i don't really love ff that much but ff9 had some really strong writing and ffx had some really cool arcs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like FFX a lot. It's no 8 but it's better than 7

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imo it's weird to say people only like ffvii cause it was their first game like that cause while that's definitely a big part, even having playing a bunch of jrpgs i still found the tone of ffvii and a lot of the character writing in it pretty cool and a lot of its setting and art direction is actually pretty unique. it could use a better translation but ffvii still has a really strong sense of style in spite of its age and it's a genuinely really funny game when it wants to be

it's a game that "suffers" from people putting it on a way higher pedestal than it deserves but, lots of pretty cool games "suffer" from that so i don't really care

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 15, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway, if you say tales of symphonia is the best tales game you need to GET OUT of my way because i will disagree with that opinion

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tales of symphonia is the best tales game on the gamecube

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

Tales of symphonia is the best tales game on the gamecube

you'll be wrong, when bandai namco finally releases tales of rebirth in english, as a gamecube exclusive

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i think it's cool when people talk about what they like about ff8 cause i've always seen such an overwhelmingly negative view of that game from so many people that it's kind of more interesting/refreshing to hear what people do like about it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9akMUoqW9U

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I got my VR headset and my racing wheel to play nice and holy poo poo I loving eat rear end at Dirt Rally but hot drat I can’t get enough of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FF8 has extremely strong fashion and the draw and junction systems are the seeds of interesting ideas that would be difficult to bring to their full potential.

Also your uncledad boss gives you a magic lamp with Satan in it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 15, 2018

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

The Colonel posted:

anyway i think it's cool when people talk about what they like about ff8 cause i've always seen such an overwhelmingly negative view of that game from so many people that it's kind of more interesting/refreshing to hear what people do like about it

I don't think it's anywhere near my favorite Final Fantasy but there's still a good number of things I like about that game a whole bunch especially the music, I like the characters, doing that R trigger thing to do more damage with Squall is cool, and I'm a big fan of Angelo Cannon. I had a good time playing it but it isn't something I'd go back to unlike 9 .

I'm also real into how loving weird that game gets like you fly your goddamn high school around as an airship.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9yLGoIxBw

a wonderful jam with serious Beach Boys vibes and a singer who sounds like Japanese Paul McCartney

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

anyway, if you say tales of symphonia is the best tales game you need to GET OUT of my way because i will disagree with that opinion
*cracks knuckles* star ocean is the best tales game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

We got a real Edge Maverick here.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like the Laguna segments in ff8 a lot even if it's poorly explained why what's-her-name made you experience them

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

publishko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9yLGoIxBw

a wonderful jam with serious Beach Boys vibes and a singer who sounds like Japanese Paul McCartney

this is hot

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

homeless snail posted:

tales of symphonia is the best star ocean game

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Suikoden 2 is the best JRPG.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Suikoden 2 is the best JRPG.

:yeah:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tomorrow i'm gonna beat okami

i'm right outside the ark

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bark in that ark.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
In celebration of the Capcom Beat em Up pack coming out I played through Battle Circuit. It’s a bizarre game played mostly straight and full of interesting designs, but there’s a lot of the same 4 enemy types through 7 stages. Each character has an unique move list to deal with them, immediately giving the game more variety than most of genre. Still the only game on the market where you can play as, among others, a girl riding an ostrich or a sapient plant creature.

Ceyton posted:

What does that make Dirge of Cerberus?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love the ending to battle circuit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
what a bitch

• Locked thread