Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Magic posted:

I enjoyed this episode and the one before.

My theory is that Dennis requested the Escape Room done in his apartment so that he could take notes on how to lock people in and survey them in the interim.

That video was the most uncomfortable I've ever felt about Dennis's character. Reminded me of the Toy Box Killer with his "this is your life now" recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Brawnfire posted:

I'm confused by the escape room being Dennis's apartment, actually. Does this business go to people's homes and businesses, set up props and cameras, install digital locks, then take it all out when it's done?

I've done something similar in a hotel's conference room. An escape room company came in a set everything up. But never in an apartment and never with locks on the actual doors. You had a bunch of props and stuff staged around the room but the end goal was to unlock a box and solve a riddle, not get out of the room.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I missed the part where they said that the escape room would be built into one of their apartments. Since I never pay attention to what the apartments look like (except for Frank's and Charlie's hovel), it took a while to realize that they weren't in an actual escape room. Once it dawned on me that they were in Dennis's apartment, my suspension of disbelief was ruined, which is a pretty amazing considering I know about where this show sits on the reality spectrum. It just didn't make any sense at all. None. Then the whole Dennis's Room thing happened, and I realized why they set it in his apartment: it was a massive contrivance for a gag, one that didn't really require this kind of huge contrivance.

Hell, "Dee Escapes from Dennis's Room" could even be its own episode.

Now, I still thought parts of this episode were funny, especially the part where Dee had to escape from Dennis's room while Dennis's pre-recorded message gently informed her that she was in for a rough night. The whole thing with Mac shoving the gum in his mouth like a kid was funny, too. But the setup, on the whole, felt lazy. Hell, I can think of a way where they could have done the escape room story in--crazy as it may sound--an escape room, and still have Dee stuck in Dennis's room.

Put me down as one of the ones who thinks this season feels off. I'm still having fun watching the show, but the quality of the writing has dipped noticeably, in my opinion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brawnfire posted:

That video was the most uncomfortable I've ever felt about Dennis's character. Reminded me of the Toy Box Killer with his "this is your life now" recording.

I really wish I didn't look up who that is.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

chaosbreather posted:

agreed. I felt it was a real return to form.

excuse the quality, i tried my best!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
I've liked both episodes so far, actually.

The way I interpreted this episode is that it was a take on toxic masculinity:
locking Dee away because "how could she possibly help" despite that she is the most experienced and best for the job
dumbass man rules "he who chews the gum is the pack leader"
Charlie trusting Mac because Mac "has his head up confidently" or whatever
not even being able compromise and just work together
banging the table like idiots when making group decisions
when they finally start looking for more clues they don't do it smartly but just smash every loving thing in their own apartment (a la "breaking my own coffee machine to own the libs")
in the gang's logic Dee actually did end up being the one to win the game
more details into Dennis' trapping women for sex

That's all I can remember from just one viewing. Now that I think about it, between Dee winning the game and Cindy being a very effective replacement for Dennis' ringleader role ladies are two for two this season.

Speaking of the last point above, Dennis' personal escape room was an awesome touch, including his prerecorded message on the laptop.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

One thing I have noticed in the last few seasons is how Frank tends to be in the background a lot more, either a writing decision or Danny taking it easy? Who knows... maybe I'm a jebroni who is imagining it all

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I would watch 7 seasons of nothing but The Gang's summits.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ratjaculation posted:

excuse the quality, i tried my best!

You tried, and that's what counts :unsmith: but fat mac instead

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

why doesnt this thread have any custom smileys

all the other dumb threads have smileys

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
someone make a SHUT UP BIRD smilie

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

pahuyuth posted:

We could have used one of those in the Archer thread this past season.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I really wish I didn't look up who that is.

Oh yeah, a note to others: if you don't know who that is, get off your computer and have a cup of coffee. Walk around the block until you forget my post. Never look it up. Die one day in relative peace.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
People are complaining about the unrealistic portrayal of having the escape room in their apartment but still probably think the Chicken Steak and Airmiles scheme is perfectly plausible and a great episode, or any number of other things the gang has done that are obviously unrealistic like kidnap and rob multiple groups of people, blow up multiple vehicles or buildings, burn down the apartment and then reconstruct it perfectly etc.

Once the episode got going I thought it was hitting the mark really well, moreso than the 1st episode. Sunny has had a slower start to the season the past few years but still has some great quality episodes despite the same comments coming with every premier.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 14, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess they kind of had to have the escape room be in Dennis' apartment to show off his own escape room. After all, he mentioned that he's familiar with escape rooms and that they are very sexual.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Scorps posted:

People are complaining about the unrealistic portrayal of having the escape room in their apartment but still probably think the Chicken Steak and Airmiles scheme is perfectly plausible and a great episode, or any number of other things the gang has done that are obviously unrealistic like kidnap and rob multiple groups of people, blow up multiple vehicles or buildings, burn down the apartment and then reconstruct it perfectly etc.

Idk I just felt disappointed because there's been a couple other shows that have done escape room episodes and they were always in some special setting, not just a dressed-up apartment. I didn't realize until I asked that there's variants like that, so at first I thought they just expected me to buy that this redressed apartment set was someplace else, which is TV so whatever. But then they locked Dee out and I'm like oh, it is the apartment, so that took a little adjustment on my part and just caused me to question the choice. And i guess doing that is also TV but more obviously TV than a redress.

Overall I enjoyed the episode but I'd actually have loved to see them locked into an escape room with maybe another couple or small group to freak out instead of the director lady.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pahuyuth posted:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's just that it really limited an interesting premise. The gang wreaks havoc at an established business by doing their own thing is funnier than the gang smashing crap in their own apartment.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's just that it really limited an interesting premise. The gang wreaks havoc at an established business by doing their own thing is funnier than the gang smashing crap in their own apartment.

It wasn't their stuff

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

goddamnit it was sherlock holmes stuff

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I was a little confused by the fact that they were in their own apartment too but it only lasted for like a second and then I kept enjoying the episode

how would they have finagled Dee "winning" anyway without it being in their own apartment with the Dennis trap setup? if they had gone to an actual escape room, they could have used some other device to have Dee save the day but I liked seeing Dee snap to the realization that her brother is a monster and she would need to resort to drastic measures to escape.

this episode is basically peak Gang and people are upset over the smallest little inconvenient plot device. get a grip

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Charlie's "Speaker" speech really turned how I felt about the episode around. Just laughing like crazy during the round table.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Every time Charlie tries to speak like a smart person is hilarious.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

ShoogaSlim posted:

how would they have finagled Dee "winning" anyway without it being in their own apartment with the Dennis trap setup?

Closer to the end Dee says something like "goddamnit I know how to solve this one because I've done it before!" and the escape room employee says "why would you pick one that you've already done before?" I've never done an escape room but looked into it when my employees wanted to go for a team building event (I polled them on what they wanted but we didn't have the budget). It seems like a lot of it is solving riddles and puzzles so if she knows the solutions then she has a massive edge. When the guys of the gang open up the lock (which was clearly easy to do in general) there was a riddle or something.

ShoogaSlim posted:

this episode is basically peak Gang and people are upset over the smallest little inconvenient plot device. get a grip

:same:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I liked this episode better when it was called “The Gang Dines Out”

:colbert:

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
For what it’s worth, there are in fact companies that will set up an escape room in your house or whatever. Or at least there’s one company like that, because awhile back my boss was telling me that her cousin or something did that for a living.

If they were gonna go that way, though, they really should have taken ten seconds beforehand to explain that that’s how this company worked.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I was a little confused by the fact that they were in their own apartment too but it only lasted for like a second and then I kept enjoying the episode

how would they have finagled Dee "winning" anyway without it being in their own apartment with the Dennis trap setup? if they had gone to an actual escape room, they could have used some other device to have Dee save the day but I liked seeing Dee snap to the realization that her brother is a monster and she would need to resort to drastic measures to escape.

I'm willing to give them the chicken airmiles scam because it's something ridiculous that the Gang would come up with themselves, in-universe. The escape room apartment felt so forced specifically because it was so obviously contrived by the writers, out-of-universe, so they could tie the two plots together. It's a small distinction I guess, but it constantly took me out of the show.

And yeah, they might have had to come up with another way for Dee to "win", but... yeah, that's kinda the point. The plot didn't work without this giant asspull, so they needed to come up with a better plot to finish up the escape room episode. The "Dee's Escape" scenes had some good bits, but it felt like it should have been part of a different episode altogether, there are tons of easy setups for Dee to get locked in there without having to transport an entire escape room into the apartment.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol just lol if you're not watching this show after chugging a beer sniffing glue and eating cat food and instead get caught up in plot minutiae. i feel bad for you jabronis

shut up birds

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

pahuyuth posted:

lol just lol if you're not watching this show after chugging a beer sniffing glue and eating cat food and instead get caught up in plot minutiae. i feel bad for you jabronis

shut up birds

It's TVIV.

Every show has to be surgically dissected second by second and completely insignificant stuff has to be read into waaaayyyyyy to much.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phenotype posted:

I'm willing to give them the chicken airmiles scam because it's something ridiculous that the Gang would come up with themselves, in-universe. The escape room apartment felt so forced specifically because it was so obviously contrived by the writers, out-of-universe, so they could tie the two plots together. It's a small distinction I guess, but it constantly took me out of the show.

And yeah, they might have had to come up with another way for Dee to "win", but... yeah, that's kinda the point. The plot didn't work without this giant asspull, so they needed to come up with a better plot to finish up the escape room episode. The "Dee's Escape" scenes had some good bits, but it felt like it should have been part of a different episode altogether, there are tons of easy setups for Dee to get locked in there without having to transport an entire escape room into the apartment.

I agree with you, it would have been more interesting to have a new situation instead of basically using props from older episodes as a crutch. Also the retconning of Dennis into an ever more cartoonishly version of himself is just detracting from his character. Things like the Dennis system and the Implication were funny because of how disturbingly realistic they were. Some dumb SAW-lite setup has none of the original character's subtlety, and is just unfunny and lazy. Also Dennis' whole thing was that he knew he tried hard to conceal his psychopathy from his victims, he didn't brag about it on a video tape.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed this episode, especially the guys getting impressed by each other's negotiations/"art of the deal" stuff. The ending was about as wholesome and sweet/good natured as this show is capable of being, and the fact it involved potentially ruining somebody's business as well as Dee being laid up in hospital as a result of it just added to the humor for me.

Charlie as The Speaker was wonderful.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I really enjoyed this episode, especially the guys getting impressed by each other's negotiations/"art of the deal" stuff. The ending was about as wholesome and sweet/good natured as this show is capable of being, and the fact it involved potentially ruining somebody's business as well as Dee being laid up in hospital as a result of it just added to the humor for me.

Charlie as The Speaker was wonderful.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ratjaculation posted:

One thing I have noticed in the last few seasons is how Frank tends to be in the background a lot more, either a writing decision or Danny taking it easy? Who knows... maybe I'm a jebroni who is imagining it all

Danny is like fourteen thousand years old, I'm sure he just wants to take it easy

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Aw man, I just found out The Mick was canceled... That's kind of lame, I really wish it lasted a few more seasons.

Oh well, new It's Always Sunny tonight, so that's good.

What the gently caress.

I was literally just re-watching most of the show a few days ago.

Brawnfire posted:

I remember it every couple of weeks and get sad

This will be me soon, I guess.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

ultramiraculous posted:

What the gently caress.

I was literally just re-watching most of the show a few days ago.

the mick was a great show and gently caress you fox for canceling it and instead bringing back the terrible tim allen husband and wife generic right wingers domestic sitcom

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Also, why did Mac's room have stuff in it but Dennis' didn't? It's dumb to tear apart a sitcom, but the premise of this episode was so dumb that I have to. At least it was funny.

We don't know this... There were like 30 more clues

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, the ending of this episode was loving weird. is this the first time the gang has ever just straight up given Dee the W in a situation without reservations? it feels like they're just trying to check off "stuff we haven't done yet" boxes.

She was just about to sue them and she immediately dropped the whole thing to eat a steak. Dee being easy to manipulate is like table steaks for an Always Sunny episode.

i am the bird posted:

Art of the deal, art of the deal

I honestly really liked this part. It got really close to being too much, but wound up being perfect Philly-trash vibes.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 15, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ultramiraculous posted:

We don't know this... There were like 30 more clues

Look at Dennis' room. None of the escape room stuff is in it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a bitchin jetski posted:

It's TVIV.

Every show has to be surgically dissected second by second and completely insignificant stuff has to be read into waaaayyyyyy to much.
I thought that was what YouTube Analysis videos were for.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This season is funny so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ultramiraculous posted:

She was just about to sue them and she immediately dropped the whole thing to eat a steak. Dee being easy to manipulate is like table steaks for an Always Sunny episode.

that's not why she dropped it. she dropped it because she realized she had genuinely won the Gang's admiration for injuring herself. she doesn't care about the steak, it's seeing the Gang barge in the room showering her in praise and adulation that makes her 180. also I don't think the Gang knew she was about to sue them anyways.

to be fair, this is also in character for Dee since being adored and loved is like the #1 thing she's wanted for the entire series. it's just really weird for the Gang to actually give that to her without any caveats beyond her getting injured (which is, in fact, precisely why they give her the W).