Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

augias
Apr 7, 2009

selec posted:

imagine how thoroughly dehumanized you are and/or bereft of any human sentiment or connection with your oppressors to do something like that. i wonder if it’s borne entirely from the level of cruelty visited upon them by the oppressor class as much as it’s just the accepted rules of engagement for both sides? Haitian revolution also had many examples like this; my gut says it’s the level of disparity that drives it; to see them living so well while you are so low, and you knowing that this is what they expect of you anyway.

an interesting counter example is the lack of similar examples in American slaveholding states. there were constant rumors and even panics over slave revolts, which were almost unheard of in reality. and I haven’t heard of really any stories of slave revenge against the former master about the US either.

If anything this makes it seem that the account above and the accounts of the haitian revolution were fabrications to dehumanize the rebellious serfs or freedom fighting haitians. Im figuring in the antebellum south there were similar stories about the slave rebellions too to garner support for perpetuating the system. But IANAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Nevermind

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Flag code doesn't apply to pennants and symbolic representations of American flags

None of those examples are actually American flags by the standard of the code

what does the flag code say about gold fringes

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Shear Modulus posted:

what does the flag code say about gold fringes

"If it ain't penetration it ain't illegal dog"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

augias posted:

Im figuring in the antebellum south there were similar stories about the slave rebellions too to garner support for perpetuating the system. But IANAH

oh no I think the worries and anxieties over rumors of slave rebellions were very real. I read one account of one for a class years ago, and have tried to find it again on JSTOR since then, that was a story about an antebellum community seized in a panic on Christmas Eve over a rumor of a slave revolt. so based on very sketchy rumors, all the white people ran out to the woods, built barricades, and shivered the night away while the slaves were not in fact revolting but apparently having a nicer-than-usual Christmas since all the racist owners ran away for some reason. so a bunch of paranoid white people became so freaked out due to the delusional reaction to bad information that formed as a result of a real, instinctively-understood injustice they were perpetrating that they ruined their own Christmas. it was an amazing account, I wish I could find it again.

I mean, look at how serious conservatives on twitter, just ordinary folk, take poo poo like krangtnelson’s Antifa Supersoldier poo poo. that even ended up in some kind of federal law enforcement doc I think. people can be real dumb and default to accepting any even hint of a threat as a big deal. anxiety like this probably made sense to our prehistoric ancestors when being hypersensitive to signs of predators helped survival, but it has really had some wide-ranging and I think under appreciated affects on modern human societies.

selec has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Sep 14, 2018

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Yes. And a quick google search turned up a jstor article about how authors embellished the haitian revolutions level of cruelty and violence. And for late medeival france, i would be even less surprised.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

In the obama years this thread woulda been called "Post conservatives fantisizing about how theyre going to die under Obama here."

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dreddout posted:

Flag code doesn't apply to pennants and symbolic representations of American flags

Except for the first one where is the fart from the 90s is wearing a full flag around his neck.

But it could be worse like trucks and motorcycles flying real flags and it's just ripped to tatters.

What was even better was the flag a rolling coal truck was flying and the flag was just scummed up with the best burning hydrocarbons

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dreddout posted:

i mean technically it doesn't apply to anything bc it's all grossly unconstitutional and legally unenforceable. but:

The words "flag, standard, colors, or ensign", as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah idk why anyone would think that "symbolic representations of the flag" is anything other than some kinda dodge

that's transparently nonsense

no no you see it's just symbolic representations of muhammad you're not allowed to get mad

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i really like this exerpt

Hey, I just finished that book yesterday! Tuchman is good poo poo, nice and epic, no need for footnotes. Her chapter on the plague is metal as gently caress.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

:hmbol: imagine thinking a oceanic hot spot volcano has explosive eruptions

There were some lava bombs this time around, probably what they were thinking of. But yeah she's a gusher.

As for Harry R. Truman, gently caress that guy. Read about David Johnston instead, dude helped save a ton of lives and then died way too young in an admittedly insanely cool way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I Stand For the National Anthem (But I Sit On the Flag) cool song title

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I liked the derail about the lovely idiot old man who got owned Pompei style.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÂŒÂŒÂ° Â“ŒÂŻŒÂ–ŒÂĞŒÂıŒÂŻŒÂ¤A’‰mÂŒÂşŒÂİ Â‡ŒÂĴAŒÂĦŒÂŒÂžŒÂ ÂšÂ‰ŒÂħŒÂĞ KŒÂĥeÂ“gÂ.ŒÂ•ŒÂğŒÂħŒÂލ–ŒÂıŒÂŸ
Propagandhi - Stick the fuckin flag up your rear end you goddam sonova bitch (128kbps full song).mp3

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slĉgt skal fĝlge slĉgters gang

Propagandhi - Stick the fuckin flag up your rear end you goddam sonova bitch (128kbps full song).mp3

smh if you dont have the pennywise cover

160kbps naturally

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dreddout posted:

:catstare:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Sep 15, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Astrochicken posted:

I Stand For the National Anthem (But I Sit On the Flag) cool song title

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sometimes i think "ugh the racists are coopting the danish flag, now i cant flag" but then i remember that i dont flag because its weird as hell to do so

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Krankenstyle posted:

sometimes i think "ugh the racists are coopting the danish flag, now i cant flag" but then i remember that i dont flag because its weird as hell to do so

The DANISH flag? Why?!

Or is the answer something that just going to make me want to kill myself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Samovar posted:

The DANISH flag? Why?!

Or is the answer something that just going to make me want to kill myself.

i dont want you to kill yourself but yes i am from that country

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Krankenstyle posted:

i dont want you to kill yourself but yes i am from that country

Too late, I'm posting from beyond the grave.

Whooo-OOOOO-ooooo!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

in denmark ghosts say ċċċċċċċċ

cnut
May 3, 2016

Krankenstyle posted:

in denmark ghosts say åååååååå

How is that pronounced? And please don't say "åååååååå". Thank you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cnut posted:

How is that pronounced? And please don't say "ċċċċċċċċ". Thank you.

/ɔ/

( the “ough” in “thought )

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

selec posted:

imagine how thoroughly dehumanized you are and/or bereft of any human sentiment or connection with your oppressors to do something like that. i wonder if it’s borne entirely from the level of cruelty visited upon them by the oppressor class as much as it’s just the accepted rules of engagement for both sides? Haitian revolution also had many examples like this; my gut says it’s the level of disparity that drives it; to see them living so well while you are so low, and you knowing that this is what they expect of you anyway.

Imagine how woke you must be.

cnut
May 3, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

/ɔ/

Tak :respek:

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

selec posted:

an interesting comparison is the lack of similar examples in American slaveholding states. there were constant rumors and even panics over slave revolts, which were almost unheard of in reality. and I haven’t heard of really any stories of slave revenge against the former master about the US either.

There was the Nat Turner rebellion, where they killed slave owners and those who would inherit slaves, including children. There was also an attempted revolt in Charleston, I think, where the plan was allegedly to kill every white person in town except for certain anti-slavery foreigners.

And of course, let us not forget the the Obama presidency and its white genocide agenda

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

/ɔ/

I don’t think that’s right. Isn’t it more of a straight “oh” sound? Or is that just Norwegian bokmċl?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Think about it like a posh English person saying "more".

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DKD posted:

There was the Nat Turner rebellion, where they killed slave owners and those who would inherit slaves, including children. There was also an attempted revolt in Charleston, I think, where the plan was allegedly to kill every white person in town except for certain anti-slavery foreigners.

And of course, let us not forget the the Obama presidency and its white genocide agenda

in Richmond, Gabriel Prosser had plans to seize the state militia armory, kill the governor and as many slave holders as possible immediately, then use the arms to foment a general insurrection throughout the south

he doesn't get enough recognition because of some controversy over interpreting his motivations due to a general lack of extant evidence but imo people who claim he was a disorganized planner of a series of murders rather than a potential insurrectionist with plans are basically racist, iirc he was a skilled laborer who interacted with poor white workers regularly and may have been literate, he had plan

oh ok
Oct 11, 2004

Alternate... universe... Shauna... fails... BECHAMEL TEST.

(Passim)

DKD posted:

There was also an attempted revolt in Charleston, I think, where the plan was allegedly to kill every white person in town except for certain anti-slavery foreigners.

That was Denmark Vesey.

quote:

Denmark Vesey (also Telemaque) (ca. 1767 – July 2, 1822) was a literate, skilled carpenter and leader among African Americans in Charleston, South Carolina. He was accused and convicted of being the ringleader of "the rising," a major potential slave revolt planned for the city in June 1822; he was executed. Likely born into slavery in St. Thomas, he served a master in Bermuda for some time before being brought to Charleston, where he gained his freedom.

Vesey won a lottery and purchased his freedom around the age of 32. He had a good business and a family, but was unable to buy his first wife Beck and their children out of slavery. Vesey became active in the Second Presbyterian Church; in 1818 he was among the founders of an independent African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church in the city, which had the support of white clergy. It rapidly attracted 1,848 members, making this the second-largest AME congregation in the nation after Mother Bethel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

In 1822 Vesey was alleged to be the ringleader of a planned slave revolt. Vesey and his followers were said to be planning to kill slaveholders in Charleston, liberate the slaves, and sail to the black republic of Haiti for refuge. By some accounts, it would have involved thousands of slaves in the city and others on plantations miles away. City officials had a militia arrest the plot's leaders and many suspected followers in June before the rising could begin. Not one white person was killed or injured.

Vesey and five slaves were among the first group of men rapidly judged guilty by the secret proceedings of a city-appointed Court and condemned to death; they were executed by hanging on July 2, 1822. Vesey was about 55 years old. In later proceedings, some 30 additional followers were executed. His son was also judged guilty of conspiracy and was deported from the United States, along with many others. The church was destroyed and its minister expelled from the city.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

(me irl: "finally, a use for my geology degree")

:hfive:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Krankenstyle posted:

in denmark ghosts say ċċċċċċċċ "Hamlet, my son, avenge my death!"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Imagine how woke you must be.

the what now

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

DKD posted:

there's also this rare historical footage from the era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmDpEhAp48&t=155s

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DKD posted:

during the ‘08 campaign a friend of mine’s italian family was sure that obama was gonna round up all the racists and put them in concentration camps

louisiana has a p large italian population and they tend to be racist as fuuuuuuuck

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

during the ‘08 campaign a friend of mine’s italian family was sure that obama was gonna round up all the racists and put them in concentration camps

drat, if only

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

yeah we were laughing about it because he was all “bye mom i’ll make sure to visit”