Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I think barring ko Porter has won this fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

KidDynamite posted:

I think barring ko Porter has won this fight.

Agreed. Garcia probably has this round but imo it was a 7-4 fight before this round and I feel like judges, valuing activity, will give him the nod.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I think Porter won by a couple rounds, but there were a number of close rounds, so who knows what the decision will be

e: there needs to be rematch regardless of the outcome

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The SituAsian posted:

Agreed. Garcia probably has this round but imo it was a 7-4 fight before this round and I feel like judges, valuing activity, will give him the nod.

:smuggo:

Excellent fight though for real. Porter just kept Garcia off kilter enough so he could never get that big left hook he was waiting for all fight. A rematch would be nice but I think the fight goes like that more often than not. Want to see him against Spence or a rematch with Thurman.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
Watching the esrrada & orucuta fight and this is totally experience vs youth handoff fight. Great fighting estrada but his age is showing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just watching the Porter-Garcia fight now. What I'm most impressed by is PBC managing to get every one of their fighters to show up

E: lol

https://twitter.com/Claressashields/status/1038826497396670465

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 9, 2018

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Just watching the Porter-Garcia fight now. What I'm most impressed by is PBC managing to get every one of their fighters to show up

I wish Keith still fought :smith:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I probably helps if they're all drunk as poo poo. Spence definitely was

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1038644395002736640

Then he spoke some mess as the post-fight press conference , which I thought was only for fighters on that card but whatever and Bud clapped back

https://twitter.com/budcrawford402/status/1038796158209060864

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

I probably helps if they're all drunk as poo poo. Spence definitely was

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/1038644395002736640

Then he spoke some mess as the post-fight press conference , which I thought was only for fighters on that card but whatever and Bud clapped back

https://twitter.com/budcrawford402/status/1038796158209060864

It probably won't happen for another 5 years or something (if at all), but Crawford vs Spence would be such a great fight. I know Spence would probably dwarf him in size, but I feel like Crawford is such a talented/versatile fighter on top of being a straight up mean motherfucker that it would really make it interesting.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I cannot imagine Crawford doesn't want that fight. In fact I'm sure that he's pushing for it to happen and we'll get it in a year or so. Spence is probably going to fight Porter next, after that he'll be looking at Garcia or Thurman if Thurman's back (Or maybe Mikey loving Garcia I guess?) but both of these guys are competitive and they know that they pose the biggest threat to each other.

In the mean time who does Crawford have to fight that isn't PBC? Pacquiao? I can't see that happening. Jessie Vargas? He'll need to cross the promotional line at some point if he wants a good fight, and if he's doing that he might as well go for the top dog.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I cannot imagine Crawford doesn't want that fight. In fact I'm sure that he's pushing for it to happen and we'll get it in a year or so. Spence is probably going to fight Porter next, after that he'll be looking at Garcia or Thurman if Thurman's back (Or maybe Mikey loving Garcia I guess?) but both of these guys are competitive and they know that they pose the biggest threat to each other.

In the mean time who does Crawford have to fight that isn't PBC? Pacquiao? I can't see that happening. Jessie Vargas? He'll need to cross the promotional line at some point if he wants a good fight, and if he's doing that he might as well go for the top dog.

I don't think either guy is scared, I just don't know that either of Haymon or Arum are hyped to make it happen.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Well, Martin enters the Kevin Johnson phase of his career now. That was quick. Hope he bought a house with his Joshua cheque. Kownacki isn't much, I don't see him sticking around at the top 10 of the division for long.

And there wasn't much to choose from in the Porter/Garcia fight. Porter edged him, but they're still in the same tier, which is below Spence and Crawford tier of fighters at welterweight.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I'm glad a hammered Errol Spence shares my views on Crawford's resume

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Tangentially related to Bud, Manny is suing Top Rank claiming he never got paid US distribution fees for the Matthysse fight from them.

Basically every major fighter leaves Top Rank and sues Bob Arum and I suspect it will end up no different for Crawford and quite possibly Lomachenko down the road

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/9/10/17841318/manny-pacquiao-initiating-legal-proceedings-against-top-rank

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Errol Spence doesn't exactly have Manny Pacquiao's resume either. Other than Kell Brook (a B+/A- talent), there's not much there. Crawford hasn't fought any superstars, but that's because there weren't any in his domain, and Yuriorkis Gamboa, Ricky Burns, Viktor Postol, and Julius Indongo are all good names. He's also a 3 weight champ and totally unified the 140 pound division, all while barely losing a round in his career, which all counts.

Anyway, they should fight each-other soon. Crawford turns 31 this month and realistically only has 1-2 years of pure prime left. Spence is almost 29 himself, hopefully he doesn't waste too much time fighting Mikey Garcia and other gimmick fights (Amir Khan/Manny Pacquiao). Shawn Porter is the worst fighter I want to see Spence in with. Anything below Porter is a complete waste of time. Crawford post-Benavidez also needs to step it up.

Crawford/Spence not happening by the end of 2019 would be a major disappointment.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Who wants to do the thread for the GGG fight?

mewse
May 2, 2006

GGG/Canelo is $85 USD for a loving web stream?!

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

mewse posted:

I'm just going to pay the 20 and see it at the theater

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

mewse posted:

weird that anyone would pay that for it when there's a subreddit called boxingstreams that will post links to hd streams that are free of charge, imo

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ozymandius1024 posted:

I'm just going to pay the 20 and see it at the theater

that's likely my plan, that or go to a nearby Dave and Buster's after I'm done refereeing hockey as they're screening it

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I guess I can do a thread. Quality won't be much to write home about but you get what you pay for I suppose. Will try to have it up by tomorrow afternoon.

Speaking of things that might be disappointing Usyk-Bellew was made official for November 10th in Manchester

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/9/14/17860936/usyk-vs-bellew-official-for-november-10

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’ve been tapping away for a while. Got a good undercard write review written

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This Ramirez-Orozco fight was loving fantastic.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

sportsgenius86 posted:

This Ramirez-Orozco fight was loving fantastic.

:agreed: I thought Orozco was done after each knockdown but full credit to him. Probably doesnt erase how he's squandered his potential but if he can be an action star that's just as well . There really isn't anything he does that Ramirez doesn't do many times more. I suppose Ramirez willwait now for the winner of Maurice Hooker-Alex Saucedo though he has to get in with the wbss winner or maybe finals loser.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's not dead

https://twitter.com/TonyBellew/status/1040718933236625409
https://twitter.com/Michael_Buffer/status/1040733246990868480

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Floyd is saying he's coming back next year to fight Pac again

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnvdWOphIoe/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=kkdk6h03vixp

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My only question would be whether he knows it's nothing more than a cash grab for two has beens or if he thinks people would actually rate the fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean I would watch it. Maybe I'm the only person who would, but I would.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

floyd doing us all a service by trying to secure the khan - brook fight is it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fight thread

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I heard he's going to get paid 500mil for this and that it's happening in Macau.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Floyd fought an undefeated monster in his last fight, so it seems fair to me that he gets a tune up match after retiring twenty times.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
EDIT: Though my drunken food choices must be of paramount importance to all I meant to post in the fight thread.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 15, 2018

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean I would watch it. Maybe I'm the only person who would, but I would.

Tons of chumps will buy it because they're chumps. I'll be one of them.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i can readily believe that someone is willing to pay floyd 500million to tool up a fighter who is not quite as good as jeff horn

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Beat his rear end Roman

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We got a fight thread

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Marching Powder posted:

i can readily believe that someone is willing to pay floyd 500million to tool up a fighter who is not quite as good as jeff horn

Mayweather is ducking Horn.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Skimming through the Canelo/GGG thread and seeing that most people consider giving this fight to Canelo as some sort of absolute robbery, which is of course insane. I didn't score the fight, but it was very close, could easily have gone either way, and should have probably been a draw at 6-6. An extremely close majority decision for Canelo is well within the spectrum of acceptable scores/outcomes. It was much more dubious to have the first fight a draw, which GGG clearly won 8-4ish.

I said before the fight that I couldn't see a scenario where Canelo wins without GGG getting old, and I think that's what happened here to an extent. The first 2/3rds of the fight had Canelo stalking GGG, while GGG was breathing heavy, backing up, and generally not looking himself. Canelo looked like the crisper, stronger fighter through the first half. As Canelo slowed down, GGG started having more success, and especially the 10th round he seemed to have turned the tide when he actually hurt Canelo, but overall he did not look nearly as good as he did in the first fight a year ago, where he was the aggressor and the crisper and more effective boxer throughout the fight.

I don't think there's any need for a third fight, as at this point GGG is just getting older, 37 by the next time he fights, while Canelo is in his prime. It's unfortunate that GGG wasn't awarded the fight fight, which he deserved, but he was a diminished fighter here tonight and he will only be more diminished in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Skimming through the Canelo/GGG thread and seeing that most people consider giving this fight to Canelo as some sort of absolute robbery, which is of course insane. I didn't score the fight, but it was very close, could easily have gone either way, and should have probably been a draw at 6-6. An extremely close majority decision for Canelo is well within the spectrum of acceptable scores/outcomes. It was much more dubious to have the first fight a draw, which GGG clearly won 8-4ish.

I said before the fight that I couldn't see a scenario where Canelo wins without GGG getting old, and I think that's what happened here to an extent. The first 2/3rds of the fight had Canelo stalking GGG, while GGG was breathing heavy, backing up, and generally not looking himself. Canelo looked like the crisper, stronger fighter through the first half. As Canelo slowed down, GGG started having more success, and especially the 10th round he seemed to have turned the tide when he actually hurt Canelo, but overall he did not look nearly as good as he did in the first fight a year ago, where he was the aggressor and the crisper and more effective boxer throughout the fight.

I don't think there's any need for a third fight, as at this point GGG is just getting older, 37 by the next time he fights, while Canelo is in his prime. It's unfortunate that GGG wasn't awarded the fight fight, which he deserved, but he was a diminished fighter here tonight and he will only be more diminished in 2019.

I knew if it went to a decision they were giving it to Canelo so it's hard to be upset about it