Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Brittish Digimon Fandom is left wondering that short played over here (Angela Anaconda aired on CN over here, you see)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

The Digimon fandom will never forgive that show for existing

I liked that show and liked Digimon and hated the Digimon movie short.

Weird show had its moments. Like the kids building their treehouse higher and higher to peek on their teacher and her husband playing nude volleyball and instantly regretting it.

The best part of kids shows is frequently the adults that they have be weird in relatable ways, like the middle aged man who can't get over not being 25 anymore.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X57LrcA_TDs

Thanks guys, of the many things my mind scrubbed from itself during the nineties, I really didn't need to remember that this happened.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
We've been working on an official Hilda board game at work to tie in to the show, so I'm excited!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

The Digimon fandom will never forgive that show for existing

Nor should they!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The majority of the work that they actually do is invisible to creators and fans, the idea that they're just a bunch of incompetent busybodies is mostly confirmation bias from them being blamed when things go poorly and creators mouthing off when they don't get their way. Like Hirsch might have complained about not being allowed to have a same-sex kiss because the network was afraid of pissing off fundies or getting notes on a man beating up a fish being too violent but he also talked about how the one time he strongarmed the network to airing a new episode on a day of his choosing instead of the schedule they had devised it got way worse ratings than usual and how they were general very supporting and helpful in getting the show made when he was in over his head as a new showrunner.

Like I thought the entire takeaway from the glut of crowdfunded failures and disappointments was that when left to their own devices most creatives are actually pretty terrible at managing projects and creating an end product that isn't self-indulgent trash because there was nobody to tell them no or left unfinished due to running out of interest and flitting along to whatever new thing catches their interest.

There are definitely creators who do need the sort of leash that Network Execs stereotypically exercise and there are some that don't. My go to example of this is Andrew Hussie who seems to thrive with constraints and become a mess when given total freedom. See: Problem Sleuth vs. Homestuck.

It's basically akin to a boss or manager and managing people working on projects. Just like how it's nominally the manager/supervisor's fault if a project goes south, it's internally the network exec fault if a show does poorly. By that token, it's also them getting the praise if it does well (again, internally). Externally, it's a completely different story since the metric of success in that regard is totally different. To an exec and their company, it doesn't have to be good in their eyes, or to anyone else's for that matter (but it obviously helps), as long as it meets the project goals assigned to it. Beyond that, the creator is given the latitude to create as desired within whatever bounds the people above them decide. Crowdfunding basically lets people be their own managers, and there's a LOT of people who just cannot be trusted to self-manage while making sure something is done on time, within budget, and will still have a group of people working under them before the project is done.

What an exec sees as leading to success and what fans see are different though since execs are going to fall back on their own metrics while fans fall back on theirs. Fans yelling about a show's scheduling and proclaiming that they'll never watch again doesn't really mean much unless actual ratings and viewership numbers go down reflecting that or toy sales tank. Otherwise, it's just hearsay in that regard and meaningless to execs.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ramos posted:

Thanks guys, of the many things my mind scrubbed from itself during the nineties, I really didn't need to remember that this happened.

What the hell is this? :psyduck:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also, holy poo poo, haven't heard of Angela Anaconda since I was in high school.

Man, that is one UGLY little girl..

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole 'stuck up rich girl in high school' thing is a bit of an odd archetype, especially since it's prone to ludicrous exaggeration and hasn't managed to die yet despite the American education system in particular being pretty good about segregating by class.

That said, it feels more realistic in shows like Daria where it's merely a stuck-up well-off girl (who isn't even necessarily the richest person in school), and I get the feeling them being literal billionaires or whatever is a result of exaggerating childhood experiences with people a step or two up the class ladder from the middle-class writers themselves. Like, the girl who has new clothes all the time or the weird snotty kid people tolerate because he has a Nintendo AND a Sega.

A bit funny in shows like Star Vs (also another case for executive meddling, though I think we discussed that above) where there's a stock stuck-up cheer squad captain but the main character is from a far richer family and also more genuinely likeable and popular. (and well, has magic powers) And other shows, I think this is a common anime thing but shows up elsewhere, where one of the protagonist's circle of friends is ridiculously rich and still casually hangs with middle-class people and goes to the same school, but acts as a plot device when necessary.

Of course, in shows that DON'T have school be the centre and meaning of the universe, it easily feels more organic. (even in Star Vs above, Marco's rival in mall karate is a snotty rich younger kid whose parents basically keep the dojo afloat through conspicuous spending) Steven Universe has the local spoiled rich kid be an infrequently appearing jerk neighbour in a popular holiday/weekend spot, and the new DuckTales has an episode where Louie (an aspirational spoiled rich kid) specifically seeks out a spoiled rich kid to have fun with. Might be more based on a younger generation of writers' true to life experiences.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Miraculous has a fun twist on the stock situation where the really rich kid in class is genuinely nice and one of the show's heroes, while the horrible 'popular' girl can only dream of being that wealthy.

Speaking of Miraculous, holy poo poo, another episode slipped out! At this rate they might manage to finish the second season (which started airing last October) by the end of the year. Maybe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, that and most TV writing is imitations of imitations of exaggerations or outright parodies, so obviously there's a distinct detachment from reality after a while.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At least the general trope of "popular kids who are somehow popular for no given reason despite being assholes to everyone in school" has somewhat died down.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
My name is Angela hey hi hello!
Welcome to my very own show
I'll introduce myself friends to you
Oh no it's Ninny poo

Still stuck in my head after all these years.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole 'stuck up rich girl in high school' thing is a bit of an odd archetype, especially since it's prone to ludicrous exaggeration and hasn't managed to die yet despite the American education system in particular being pretty good about segregating by class.

That said, it feels more realistic in shows like Daria where it's merely a stuck-up well-off girl (who isn't even necessarily the richest person in school), and I get the feeling them being literal billionaires or whatever is a result of exaggerating childhood experiences with people a step or two up the class ladder from the middle-class writers themselves. Like, the girl who has new clothes all the time or the weird snotty kid people tolerate because he has a Nintendo AND a Sega.

A bit funny in shows like Star Vs (also another case for executive meddling, though I think we discussed that above) where there's a stock stuck-up cheer squad captain but the main character is from a far richer family and also more genuinely likeable and popular. (and well, has magic powers) And other shows, I think this is a common anime thing but shows up elsewhere, where one of the protagonist's circle of friends is ridiculously rich and still casually hangs with middle-class people and goes to the same school, but acts as a plot device when necessary.

If I remember, the rich girl rival in Star Vs. was originally something forced in

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Payndz posted:

Miraculous has a fun twist on the stock situation where the really rich kid in class is genuinely nice and one of the show's heroes, while the horrible 'popular' girl can only dream of being that wealthy.

Also the actual popular kid is the friendly protagonist, while the villainous kid is only popular in her own mind.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

Speaking of Miraculous, holy poo poo, another episode slipped out! At this rate they might manage to finish the second season (which started airing last October) by the end of the year. Maybe.
And Sandman is slated to air Sept. 24th. (the ep that just aired is called Anansi for those looking)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The important part of the latest episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEG95lYDMI

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xelkelvos posted:

If I remember, the rich girl rival in Star Vs. was originally something forced in

Wasn't that basically the case for almost every Earth cast member besides Marco and his family, hence why most of them become almost completely irrelevant after Season 1

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

drrockso20 posted:

Wasn't that basically the case for almost every Earth cast member besides Marco and his family, hence why most of them become almost completely irrelevant after Season 1

Pretty sure the only characters that were actually mandated were Ferguson and Alfonso, on the basis that otherwise Marco wouldn't have had any male friends (Or any friends at all, really).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Senerio posted:

I swear, Rise of the TMNT gets weirder every time I see it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the subject of the Evil Rich Girl, I always liked Libby from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, because she wasn't the archetype for no reason - she was a bitch because her mom was a bitch and taught her bad habits, and she is a cheerleader because it puts her in a position to exclude others. She had moments outside of her own niche, like when the was turned into a stereotypical geek for an episode, and started effectively turning them into her new cronies, starting to attempt to exclude people from science clubs because they weren't geeky enough, that sort of thing. She has influence because she is good at being manipulative, regardless of what she is doing. She has power because she strokes the headmaster's ego, so he gives her free reign.

Also I remember enjoying her performance in general. She had good reactions to certain moments, like in the pilot where Sabrina makes her gently caress up her makeup and she starts panicking, or when she and the rest of the school got infected with Sabrina's fear and her insecurities hit overdrive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's possibly a lesson there in that toxic people are toxic people no matter what group they're in.

I think Libby was one of the iconic examples, which imitators just took the 'rich', 'bitch' and 'cheerleader' parts from.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Senerio posted:

Nino is SO BAD at the secret identity thing lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm in a minority with that show, because I don't hate the later seasons - Harvey's return is great because while he is no longer a love interest for a bit due to breaking up with Sabrina for 4 seasons before they make up, he is reintroduced dating her roommate. Because memory charms no longer work properly on him, he is privy to her secret which gives him so much more to do and he becomes a greatly funny character with some cool moments, like when Sabrina is cursed by her twin, Harvey notices immediately and takes her straight to her aunts because he is a Responsible Adult.

Also he owned completely in A Birthday Witch (season 6, just looked up the character involved) as he went head to head with the Spellman Matriarch Aunt Irma, who wanted to test his loyalty because she was displeased that the secret was out.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
At least his best friend is the dumbest boy in the world.

I'd say dumbest person, but Marinette is very close competition for him.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Senerio posted:

At least his best friend is the dumbest boy in the world.

I'd say dumbest person, but Marinette is very close competition for him.

Change it to 'most oblivious' and I'm right there with you.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, holy poo poo, haven't heard of Angela Anaconda since I was in high school.

Man, that is one UGLY little girl..

I once had a class taught by the showrunner. He kept asking the students to lend him money and died shortly after the semester ended, strange guy. It was around that time I started giving up on having a career in Canadian animation.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

Nino is SO BAD at the secret identity thing lol
Yeah, Alya clocks him instantly. (Unless they backtrack on it with a "no, my boyfriend can't possibly be Paris's latest superhero because hurr durr reasons!" copout, which would be both annoying and entirely in keeping with her inability to notice that her blue-haired best friend always disappears just before Ladybug shows up.)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
The Dragon Prince is alright so far. It looks better than the trailer showed.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Gaunab posted:

The Dragon Prince is alright so far. It looks better than the trailer showed.

Oh poo poo, it's out now? drat, got this and Bojack on my plate this weekend :ohdear:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Not gonna lie though, it's going to be a really hard show to watch and enjoy cause the animation really, really sucks. Woulda been nice if Netflix switched the budget of this show with say, Voltron..

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ramos posted:

I can see why people would hate this, the comment on the video sums it up pretty well:

quote:

I can't even imagine how pissed off fans were.

"YOU CAN'T JUST CALL YOURSELF A DIGIMON, THAT MAKES NO SENSE"

That short was made by someone who had never seen Digimon in their entire life and had only seen a single character from the show

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Hah, I remember thinking the Digimon movie was kind of a trainwreck as a kid, but I chalked it up to me not having watched much of the anime and never played the games (whereas I was a huge pokemon fan). So I read up on it and I see that the Digimon movie is an edit of three short Digimon films that weren't connected at all.

quote:

As the three films were respectively 20, 40, and 60 minutes long, footage was condensed to fit 85 minutes.

No wonder it sucked so much.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Pakled posted:

Hah, I remember thinking the Digimon movie was kind of a trainwreck as a kid, but I chalked it up to me not having watched much of the anime and never played the games (whereas I was a huge pokemon fan). So I read up on it and I see that the Digimon movie is an edit of three short Digimon films that weren't connected at all.

Trust me, the movie that was condensed the most also sucked anyway, so it's no real major loss there.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I remember liking angela anaconda. I remember an episode where she apparently forgot to wear green on st Patrick's day and spent the whole day avoiding getting pinched or something.
I never seen a cartoon like that either.

It tickeled my little boy soul.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hihohe posted:

I remember liking angela anaconda. I remember an episode where she apparently forgot to wear green on st Patrick's day and spent the whole day avoiding getting pinched or something.
I never seen a cartoon like that either.

It tickeled my little boy soul.

There were a few gags that I liked, like the times Nanette screwed up her french. At one point there is an exchange student from paris who happens to look identical to her and she thinks Nanette actually speaks french, when she really doesn't. She spends the whole day getting lucky just responding to every question with "Oui..." Then there was a moment where she gets stuck on a word after Angela's grandma leaves. "You're grandma is so... gauche. Which is french for *flips through dictionary, realises her screwup* left... as in I'm so glad she finally left!"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Not gonna lie though, it's going to be a really hard show to watch and enjoy cause the animation really, really sucks. Woulda been nice if Netflix switched the budget of this show with say, Voltron..

I finished it a while ago and once you get used to it the animation isn't that bad just different. It's above something like Berserk.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

There were a few gags that I liked, like the times Nanette screwed up her french. At one point there is an exchange student from paris who happens to look identical to her and she thinks Nanette actually speaks french, when she really doesn't. She spends the whole day getting lucky just responding to every question with "Oui..." Then there was a moment where she gets stuck on a word after Angela's grandma leaves. "You're grandma is so... gauche. Which is french for *flips through dictionary, realises her screwup* left... as in I'm so glad she finally left!"

I swear I watched a ton of that show and I remember the St Patrick's Day episode and the one with the guy's greaser dad (or was it uncle) freaking out over getting old but not much else. It had its moments when it was less about the annoying tics and more about the amusing quirks. And Nanette was an interesting case of being the Libby type but really just a slightly more well-off narcissist who's a teacher's pet. (because the teacher is also a narcissist) And the one where Angela got pink eye and decided to make the most of it by wearing an eyepatch and talking like a pirate.

Manipulating authority figures is one of the most important lessons of childhood.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pakled posted:

Funny thing is that if they had waited till the next year it could have turned out a lot better as they could have used Movie 4 instead of Movie 3 for the last part of the movie and it would have made a hell of a lot more sense(indeed I would love to see an edit of The Movie that replaces the Hurricane Touchdown parts with the dub for Revenge of Diablomon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It was basically the equivalent of Direct to Video/DVD movies being stitched together and heavily edited into a hasty response to the Pokemon movie, I figured.