Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I was all "drat, I am a sexual God"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sludge Tank posted:

i need help. i dont know what the gently caress is wrong with me.
i had a whinge last week about my failed deadlift attempt but today we had strongman training again, which after a bit of loving around (car carry) we did the finisher and i could barely complete a 10 rep clean and jerk of fuckint 132lbs. like i bailed after one rep, then tried again and barely got they ten reps. 132lbs is nothing for me but today i struggled to even get it off the ground for one rep.

what the gently caress is going on?! my eating is solid. im getting my calories, im getting plenty of rest. if anything my rest days are happening more now because im so hosed all the time for some unknown reason. i have no energy. no explosiveness. no drive. no sex drive. nothing. im just completely empty. im definitely NOT over training. im eating enough (calorie tracking) im sleeping more than enough. i cant even get out of bed some days. i dont drink or do drugs. what the gently caress is happening? im going backwards fast. my motivation and energy is plumetting and all these failed reps and lovely training days are enormously demotivating.

im about to start my first steroid cycle and the last thing i want to do is use it as a way to lift me out of this funk that i never anticipated... but what the gently caress?!

Seriously stop lifting for 2-3 weeks

Like go walk in the park or do yoga, your Central nervous system is probably super hosed, when was the last time you took a full on break

Or alternatively go buy this book read it and then rest 2 weeks anyway

https://renaissanceperiodization.com/shop/recovering-from-training/

The sleep study probably isn’t a bad idea

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I bought a decently good mountain bike like a year ago and its my favorite weekend cardio. Did 32 miles a few weeks ago on mostly flat paved ground. Urban biking owns.

Plus u can be a big strong showoff and throw your bike on your shoulder and run up stairs and poo poo. (then bomb down them) :D

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Sludge Tank posted:

im about to start my first steroid cycle and the last thing i want to do is use it as a way to lift me out of this funk that i never anticipated... but what the gently caress?!

If your system is already beaten to the point of performance going rapidly down, last thing you need is roids. I'd take at least one week completely off and then do minimum one week of only active recovery work, get a proper massage etc.
Or keep going and wait for the inevitable break down. Sounds like you're heading to proper over exhaustion and that means months of nothing more intense than light walking.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Could probably help to get some blood work done as well, if I'm not stating the blindingly obvious

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Sludge Tank posted:

im about to start my first steroid cycle

Found your problem

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgjdOWynwe8

I finally did it, friends! Honestly going from 315-405 took less time than hitting 315. Maybe something like that will happen for 500. I remember thinking I'd finally be strong when I could deadlift 315. Then I did it and I was like no, no you need 4 plates. And now I need 500 lbs and then i'll finally be strong.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Certainly sounds like some sort of hormonal crash so obviously you should take steroids to just completely annihilate your hormones and ascend to the next dimension

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm not sure how true it is, may be bullshit, but once you take steroids for a certain amount of time, can't it completely gently caress up your natural production making it so you need TRT for the rest of your life? I know there are post cycle therapy deals that can mitigate that. Maybe it just depends on how crazy you are going with your cycles/blasts/cruises/whatever lingo. I dunno. I'm just on regular TRT and I sort of worry that if I ever have to go off of it it's going to gently caress me up really bad, or maybe I'll just drop down to my normal pre TRT levels and it be like before, who knows. I should ask the doctor about that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yea

Especially if you're young and you have no idea what you're doing and you take steroids- it can permanently gently caress up your system in many ways

Every time you take steroids you gotta also do a post-steroid cycle of drugs to mitigate the fuckery the steroids did on your natural system

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Or use SARMs and turn your body into the worst sort of Resident Evil science experiment.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Or use SARMs and turn your body into the worst sort of Resident Evil science experiment.

Pyramid Torso

e: goddamnit, that's silent hill. and really an inverted pyramid torso.

this wasn't a successful post

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Confirmed that back squats gently caress up my shoulder issue like nothing else. Bar must be compressing something when it's on my back. Or it's how tight and narrow I have my grip.

Been back training ohp and jerks for a while now and while they don't feel great I've not had issues where my wrist feels like it's swollen up and my hand goes numb afterwards.

Except when I do thrusters and directly bang up my wrists because I haven't got the technique right.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I finally did it, friends! Honestly going from 315-405 took less time than hitting 315. Maybe something like that will happen for 500. I remember thinking I'd finally be strong when I could deadlift 315. Then I did it and I was like no, no you need 4 plates. And now I need 500 lbs and then i'll finally be strong.

High five. Does the inverted grip not completely gently caress up your shoulder and chest? I switched to dual overhand because even at my weak baby weight, it was messing up my inverted hand shoulder.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Don't think so. I do have a shoulder that tends to have less ROM than the other, but that shoulder is my left one which is the hand I use regular grip. I pretty rarely swap them. I do a good bit of mobility and batter my chest/shoulders/back with lax balls anytime I suspect something is trying to get tight. I also do shoulder dislocates with a stick and the handcuff things, wall slides, etc.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Nice to see someone continually making progress.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

effortless, awesome lift

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

pacerhimself posted:

High five. Does the inverted grip not completely gently caress up your shoulder and chest? I switched to dual overhand because even at my weak baby weight, it was messing up my inverted hand shoulder.

ive been pulling for like 3 years solely with inverted grip, dual overhand doesn't even feel natural to me anymore. I can't see how anatomically itd mess you up, the loads still being evenly distributed between both sides of your body just some muscles are in different positions

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gym fail of the day...

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fallows posted:

ive been pulling for like 3 years solely with inverted grip, dual overhand doesn't even feel natural to me anymore. I can't see how anatomically itd mess you up, the loads still being evenly distributed between both sides of your body just some muscles are in different positions

I like to alternate between my left and my right being the supinated one - maybe that's just me being kinda ocd though...

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Fallows posted:

I think Cumpster once said that he heard CWS say that using a lot of mixed grip with the same hands isn't a big deal but I could be completely making this up in my head.

Also thanks for the support guys, now if my knee will behave enough to start squatting again...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Fallows posted:

You guys ever seen videos of biceps exploding during a deadlift

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Dum Cumpster says that doesn't happen to natty lifters really

Personally I'm obviously biased because my shoulders are total garbage and I've literally had my pec minor sugically detached and my bicep attachment moved on one side

But I don't see why a recreational lifter would ever pull mixed instead of hook or straps

However minor the induced shoulder asymmetry might be, I'm way more invested in my shoulder health than I am in my thumbs, or my ego about possibly lifting a few more pounds

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I hate mixed grip. Feels so unbalanced to me. I've been working a little on hook grip but I don't have any confidence in it yet. My double overhand is only 30 lbs behind my pr (445/475) at this point. Otherwise, straps 4 lyfe.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

feelix posted:

Dum Cumpster says that doesn't happen to natty lifters really

Personally I'm obviously biased because my shoulders are total garbage and I've literally had my pec minor sugically detached and my bicep attachment moved on one side

But I don't see why a recreational lifter would ever pull mixed instead of hook or straps

However minor the induced shoulder asymmetry might be, I'm way more invested in my shoulder health than I am in my thumbs, or my ego about possibly lifting a few more pounds

I can't make hook grip work for me. It's not the pain, it's just outright not stronger than even double overhand for whatever reason, and I don't want to use straps - I enjoy lifting the most when it's just me and the weight.

I doubt I have to worry about bicep tears with the weights I'm lifting though, and my shoulders are healthy. This is honestly the first I've heard about mixed grip causing shoulder problems.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I forget, do most powerlifting feds allow straps? I'd like to one day do some powerlifting meets. And since mixed isn't giving me any issues, I'll continue to use it. Although I do double overhand until it gets slippery, then I hook sometimes, but anything really that is reps over 315 I need to use mixed. If my shoulders or something gives me some issue then I'll get some straps or something.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I forget, do most powerlifting feds allow straps? I'd like to one day do some powerlifting meets. And since mixed isn't giving me any issues, I'll continue to use it. Although I do double overhand until it gets slippery, then I hook sometimes, but anything really that is reps over 315 I need to use mixed. If my shoulders or something gives me some issue then I'll get some straps or something.

No way are straps allowed in any meets

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah the only thing you might compete in that allows straps is a strongman comp

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5en4IMcZos

I have now... ow

What i've taken away from every mixed grip discussion is yeah you can tear a bicep with mixed grip where otherwise double overhand you wouldnt but its really uncommon and not something to worry about

Fallows fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 16, 2018

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Fallows posted:

No way are straps allowed in any meets

Then I shall continue with mixed, but I'll work on hook as well. If grip ever limits my progression though I'll get some straps and then train grip on the side, but my mixed grip at least seems to be keeping up with my deadlifts. Although I do have a confession, that bar I'm using is slightly thinner than the other ones which makes gripping easier. But the other ones suck, one is bent and the knurling is basically wore off the other. I might use the worn knurling one sometimes anyway just as a way to help with grip and do holds with it sometimes.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yeah, do mixed if you ever plan on doing a powerlifting meet and can't do hook grip for whatever reason. Use straps or a trap bar or just bench and curl if you're not. But if you're natty tear a bicep you hosed something up or you lost some genetic lottery.

And yeah Juggernaut Chad said in a seminar not to bother switching mixed grip if your goal is to deadlift the most you can.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Does the bicep thing just happen without warning or wouldn't you start getting some tendon pain as a warning first? I just try to let me arms be straight and in general my elbow feels pretty good after a deadlift. I did piss it off arm wrestling a while back and the only thing that's ever seemed to bother it is heavy pull ups and that's not even been a real issue for a while.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

And yeah Juggernaut Chad said in a seminar not to bother switching mixed grip if your goal is to deadlift the most you can.

What do you mean don't change which side you do underhand with?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I imagine you'd feel something building up but I've never felt any tension in mine while pulling. Some of those massive dudes look like they can barely straighten their arms so it's not surprising they're putting stress on their biceps.

Fallows posted:

What do you mean don't change which side you do underhand with?

Yeah. Unfortunately I don't remember the details of what he said anymore. You could probably ask him on IG.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

I imagine you'd feel something building up but I've never felt any tension in mine while pulling. Some of those massive dudes look like they can barely straighten their arms so it's not surprising they're putting stress on their biceps.

Yeah. Unfortunately I don't remember the details of what he said anymore. You could probably ask him on IG.

Oh well that's easy, I've tried to switch and i couldn't, it felt really awkard. So im stuck with one way lol

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I use double overhand, because I feel mixed grip creates this tiny but notable torque which feels nasty. My lower back is slightly hosed up in the left side, so I'm kind of sensitive to it. DOH (just made that up) feels more balanced.

The guys who tear their biceps are usually roiders with unnaturally large muscles, but it does happen to others too. That one guy from Mark Bells youtube channel tore his (Smokey?) and while I'm not saying he's definitely natty, he's not a mass monster.
His arm felt weird during a session, but he kept going heavier and it finally snapped.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
if you insist on using mixed grip regularly, make sure you alternate your grip. (as in, train with a different hand facing up each week)

mixed grip doesnt really do much at all for your actual grip strength. nothing near what actual grip work will do.

youre much better off using straps (or hook grip if youre gay) and then using mixed grip for your top set, if you insist on going strapless for your top sets for ego.

you'll get better grip work by going double overhand as much as you can and then straps when your grip fails. do separate grip work like farmers walks and bar hangs.

dont be like me and use mixed grip forever one way only and create an imbalance in your lats and biceps.
mixed grip causes your body to twist slightly on the way up with the differing retraction of your lats on tbe way up.

double overhand till failure, then straps.

mixed grip for comps or 1rms so you csn get s good full breath whilst standing up, in my opinion

for context i use straps pretty much for everything over 440lbs atm.
i use double overhand for all my warmups.
my record so far is 440lbs double overhand for 6 reps until my grip failed. all my grip work is done with heavy rear end farmers walks and weighted pullups. i used to have an ego hang up about using straps but stopped caring when i realised what a bad imbalance id got from mixed grip.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 16, 2018

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
It also becomes a hand care thing at some point. You'll keep ripping up your hands if you pull without straps. Using straps and doing actual grip work, as you suggest, with weights your skin can handle is the way to go. Last time I was strong I was using straps for all heavy sets (also past about 440) with reps but I block pulled 700 without once to test my grip.

Did you take a break and get your poo poo sorted out? It sounds like you were just briefly overtrained. Or whatever phrase you find the least offensive.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Sludge Tank posted:

if you insist on using mixed grip regularly, make sure you alternate your grip. (as in, train with a different hand facing up each week)

mixed grip doesnt really do much at all for your actual grip strength. nothing near what actual grip work will do.

youre much better off using straps (or hook grip if youre gay) and then using mixed grip for your top set, if you insist on going strapless for your top sets for ego.

you'll get better grip work by going double overhand as much as you can and then straps when your grip fails. do separate grip work like farmers walks and bar hangs.

dont be like me and use mixed grip forever one way only and create an imbalance in your lats and biceps.
mixed grip causes your body to twist slightly on the way up with the differing retraction of your lats on tbe way up.

double overhand till failure, then straps.

mixed grip for comps or 1rms so you csn get s good full breath whilst standing up, in my opinion

for context i use straps pretty much for everything over 440lbs atm.
i use double overhand for all my warmups.
my record so far is 440lbs double overhand for 6 reps until my grip failed. all my grip work is done with heavy rear end farmers walks and weighted pullups. i used to have an ego hang up about using straps but stopped caring when i realised what a bad imbalance id got from mixed grip.

Nice lies but i have proof in this very thread that you can’t lift over 150lbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I'm just getting back into working out. I got my weight set and my bench. I have a barbell and two dumbbells and not enough plates. On upper body day, I do bench, overhead press, and bent over rows. On lower body day, I'm doing zercher squats and deadlift. Once I have some proper squat stands, I'll be adding back squats. Are there any "do this you dummy" exercises I'm missing out on? I basically just alternate exercises about every other day, maxing out at lifting four days a week. I usually don't lift on Sunday but I let myself be lazy yesterday so I had to do it this morning. I figure I can alternate the bench from week to week with incline and decline once I get further into it