Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Wait til the Labor National conference votes not to disembowel themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

The libs response to Shortens question re: why they have a nationals quota but not a quota for women, will be them dropping the nats quota.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

hambeet posted:

The libs response to Shortens question re: why they have a nationals quota but not a quota for women, will be them dropping the nats quota.

Everybody wins

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

hambeet posted:

That would be the most amazing self own.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
If Labor get in power and they spend the entirety of the next three years blaming everything on the coalition, I'm going to guillotine 'em myself.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They're just going to high five and backslap until the libs win again after a couple of elections.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Starshark posted:

If Labor get in power and they spend the entirety of the next three years blaming everything on the coalition, I'm going to guillotine 'em myself.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JBP posted:

They're just going to high five and backslap until the libs win the next election.

Fixed.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Rats abandoning the ship

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/8db7d058-da43-42d5-bec3-ae49b0d32211?ocid=Social-9NewsB&__twitter_impression=true

quote:

The Prime Minister is set to suffer another blow with Liberal MP Ann Sudmalis set to announce she won't re-contest her seat at the next election.

It was only four months ago, she stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Scott Morrison in her electorate as she battled to hang on in a pre-selection fight.

The now-Prime Minister backed her then, saying publicly "I think it would be a bad thing for the Government if Ann Sudmalis was replaced by any other candidate."

The south-coast electorate of Gilmore is marginal, Ms Sudmalis holding it by just 0.7 percent at the 2016 election.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I've never seen rats run away from a Toyota Yaris so fast

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

hambeet posted:

iajanus posted:

Everybody wins
legit this, the liberals will always hate women but at least there was a tiny victory

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i love it

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Something tells me the coming election isn't going to be the normal sort of cycle.

Something something landslide - anyone but the libs

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Labor win the election 65 to 35%. In 2 years time Shorten is knifed when the polls drop to 60-40 and Libs win the following election.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

this is kinda whats happening to the house republicans before the midterms

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm really sorry everyone, I tried my best but I've just had setback after setback and all the meds, psych appointments and psychology appts just aren't having an effect. You've all been great and I really love you but I'm going to listen to the latest episode of Helen Razer's Knackers and Vadge. Please don't try to track me down - you can't stop me.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Starshark posted:

I'm really sorry everyone, I tried my best but I've just had setback after setback and all the meds, psych appointments and psychology appts just aren't having an effect. You've all been great and I really love you but I'm going to listen to the latest episode of Helen Razer's Knackers and Vadge. Please don't try to track me down - you can't stop me.

Ahhh, she's self-loathing... I can feel the sweet darkness closing in...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You'll be buried in unsanctified ground for this.

Basically anywhere in QLD.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I really didn't want to read that first sentence this time of night.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I would never have guessed that a Four Corners episode would provoke a Royal Commission before it was shown on tv:

quote:

PM calls royal commission into aged care after inexcusable 'failures'

The Morrison government will establish a royal commission into Australia’s aged-care sector following a string of horrific revelations of elderly abuse and neglect that have shattered public faith in the system.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison will announce the dramatic measure on Sunday, as figures show complaints about the sector have skyrocketed and authorities have forcibly closed one aged-care service a month since a crackdown triggered by the Oakden nursing home scandal.

“Our aged-care sector in Australia provides some of the best care in the world ... However incidences of older people being hurt by failures of care simply cannot be explained or excused,” Mr Morrison said in a statement.

“Australians must be able to trust that their loved ones will be cared for appropriately and the community should have confidence in the system.”

In mid-2017, the emergence of critical care failures at Oakden, a state government-run nursing home for dementia patients in Adelaide, fuelled claims that the aged-care sector was in crisis.

Among the failings, which spanned a decade, were allegations that a 70-year-old resident was bashed to death by another patient, and a 99-year-old female resident was indecently assaulted by a male carer.

Another patient allegedly received 10 times the prescribed amount of antipsychotic medication, and was later hospitalised for significant unexplained bruising, a chest infection and extreme dehydration.

Officials later declared that a “toxic” culture of cover-ups had allowed abuse to go undetected.

The sweeping probe will investigate residential, home and community aged care, which includes home support packages and services such as social support and meal delivery. About 1.3 million Australians access these services each year, including 240,000 people in residential care.

The commission will also examine the preparedness of the system to cope with an ageing population and increasing cases of dementia, and care provided to younger Australians with disabilities living in residential aged care. It will not specifically investigate retirement villages, despite revelations of exploitation of the elderly in those settings, however it will cover the Commonwealth services received by those residents. The terms of reference and timetable are yet to be finalised.

In recent years, countless disturbing claims of elder abuse have been levelled at nursing homes. A Senate inquiry into the aged-care sector in February found evidence of “systemic issues that negatively impact the quality of aged care services” throughout Australia.

A two-part investigation due to air on the ABC’s Four Corners program from Monday will examine the treatment of the elderly in aged-care homes. The programs will include accounts of overworked staff and neglected residents.

Mr Morrison said his government was “committed to providing older Australians with access to care that supports their dignity and recognises the contribution that they have made to society”.

He said funding for aged care was at record levels and Australia was a leader in the aged-care field.

“There are thousands of extraordinary operators, facilities, care providers, nursing and other clinical staff, volunteers, cleaners, cooks, therapists out there improving the lives of senior Australians every day,” he said.

“But the best teams will always want to do better, and will always want to be honest about the performance of the sector as a whole.”

When the Oakden scandal was made public, Aged Care Minister Ken Wyatt commissioned a review into the sector and requested more inspection and compliance work.

As a result, the Department of Health has closed almost one aged-care service a month in the past year, Mr Morrison said. Official figures show a further 17 aged-care facilities currently have sanctions imposed.

The data also reveals that complaints to the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner about residential aged care reached 4300 last financial year, up from 3200 two years prior. Complaints about home and community care rose from about 3900 to 5780 in the same period.

The Oakden scandal prompted calls for a royal commission into aged care. Labor leader Bill Shorten in June stopped short of committing to the measure but said quality standards and inspection systems were not working.

“Aged care, be it the treatment of the staff, be it the funding model, be it the inspection standards, be it the interface, with having properly trained people, be it making sure there’s just enough money ... I think it’s the tip of the iceberg,” he said on ABC’s Q&A program.

The Combined Pensioners and Superannuants Association had been calling for a royal commission, saying in June there was a “national crisis” caused by ineffective quality standards and staffing ratios.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/pm-calls-royal-commission-into-aged-care-after-inexcusable-failures-20180915-p5040n.html

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah it would get a royal commission when the coalition is desperate to court votes from anyone boomers worried about who is going to look after them when they go to their immortal crypts to slumber.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JeremyPoxon/status/1040426463541944320

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Knobb Manwich posted:

Yeah it would get a royal commission when the coalition is desperate to court votes from anyone boomers worried about who is going to look after them when they go to their immortal crypts to slumber.

It'll be a triple whammy. It will show boomers what it's currently like in aged care, it'll scare the pants off anybody who is close to going into it right now which will mean those people will depend more on their children than before (if they have any) and a royal commission may well drag up a whole bunch of boomers who just want their parents money already so they can retire comfortably themselves.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

This saving the furniture stuff is getting pretty funny.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Prime Minister Sharks to give boomers the ability to purchase other people's Super so they can comfortably retire.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

Prime Minister Sharks to give boomers the ability to take their children’s Super so they can comfortably retire.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
40% of the party room voted no on abbotts nomination
38.40% voted no on gay marriage

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
theres a rumour that a few fed libs on the senate ticket are dropping out to run for local council/state elections instead

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Reclines Obesily posted:

40% of the party room voted no on abbotts nomination
38.40% voted no on gay marriage

Where did you get the numbers? the article I read yesterday said they refused to share them but that abbott looked "shaken"

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...915-p503y6.html

quote:

The meeting erupted when officials refused to read out the numbers from the secret ballot. Members were heard shouting "disgrace", "transparency is dead", and "release the results". One figure suggested at least 30 of the 90 members present at the meeting voted against Mr Abbott's renomination, but speculated the actual result could have been as high as 36.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Victorian Government is doing public consultation to develop regional plans for bushfire management.

The first question asks respondents to rate the value of human life from 1 to 10 stars

I am keenly interested in this data. :allears:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

quote:

Fairfax Media has been told by three sources that 46 votes were cast for Mr Abbott, 38 were cast against, and a further nine votes were informal - bringing the total number of members present to 93.

Under party rules, a majority of 50 per cent plus one is required to successfully endorse a candidate. If Mr Abbott did receive just 46 votes, he may have fallen narrowly short of the majority technically required.

Now Fairfax is saying he may have fallen short but got endorsed anyway?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Anidav posted:

jesus christ

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

haha, guess the local members have decided they loving hate him.

I would dearly dearly love for him to have fallen short of nomination - especially if there was no other contenders.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I would never have guessed that a Four Corners episode would provoke a Royal Commission before it was shown on tv:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/pm-calls-royal-commission-into-aged-care-after-inexcusable-failures-20180915-p5040n.html

Considering the shitshow I had to go through with my dad and getting him into a home that best suited his dementia needs, not only do nursing homes need a proper look at, but also aged care support outside of homes.

The home care that dad got while he was still at home was poor at best, which left him emaciated. Neither the home care nor the first aged care home he went to seemed interested in getting dad the proper medical attention for his dementia, making it worse for him, to the point he was physically assaulting staff because he was so confused and scared as a by product of his dementia. Yet nearly every support person I dealt with was "oh, that's just what happens" and hand waved it off.

It was only after the third home refused dad that I had to finally really unleashed on the aged care support staff to get him into a place that could treat his dementia and calm down his temper. Of course this lead to a huge mental breakdown for me that I still suffer from to this day.

My dad now spends his days in a bed, he is no longer able to eat, shower or walk around by himself, nor does he really recognise me. If the aged care support did what they were supposed to do at the start, I wouldn't be in this place.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah when my Grandfather was near the end all the staff kinda did was park him in front of the TV and feed him Yogurt. I'm not sure if he could feel boredom at that point but from my perspective it looked like a shoestring budget.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That said, the current place dad is at is great, they tend to his needs pretty quickly and keep me up to date on any health issues he has. Each week when I see him his room doesn't stink of poo poo, nor does it have the over bearing bleach or antiseptic smell.

Aged care should be handled like most other public health - run by the government, not for profit. I don't mind paying an extra surcharge as long as I don't get put into a poo poo joint that washes their residents in methylated spirits

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
scomo reminds me of nobody so much as martin bormann

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bill Shorten posted:

The last politician to worry about Newspoll is probably watching this interview on iView from New York so I think it has done me good to ignore preferred prime minister and the polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/p_hannam/status/1041106038559129600

Phelps was one the reasons the Liberals are spooked about Wentworth.

• Locked thread