Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I need a multiplayer base builder game, a la Factorio. Anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Stardew Valley is MP now.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good strategy/tactics/RTS games?

I am thinking of Battletech, Frostpunk, Into the breach.

Any suggestions? As long as its on PC.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Looking for a single player vehicular combat game, a la Twisted Metal, Interstate 76, Carmageddon that isn't Twisted Metal, Interstate 76 or Carmageddon because I've played them to death! Also, bonus points if it was made in like the last five years. This genre is either dead or is strictly multiplayer.

In the interest in reducing redundant suggestions, but also for those who may want to explore the genre, here are similar games I've already played:

Road Redemption
Mad Max

Well poo poo I thought I could come up with more.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Hard Truck: Apocalypse?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Ulio posted:

I'm enjoying Prismata atm

It's like if MTG was an RTS, it's pretty neat

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ulio posted:

Here is what I have:

8 bit games
Command and Conquer series
Starcraft II Liberty
Northgard
Offworld Trading Company
Rise of Nations
Total War Warhammer
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War (but not the third one)
Empyrion
Rimworld
Subnautica

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how is subnautica a RTS? Is there something later because I got it, picked up some rocks and fish, then stopped because it felt like every other open world crafting survival game except underwater

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I got machinarium on a whim and spent the whole afternoon solving it with my girlfriend. It was really cute and fun to tackle as a team. I'm out of the loop on contemporary point and click adventure games, can anyone recommend any more for us to play together? I don't own any consoles but collectively we have PCs, an android tablet and an iPad.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riatsala posted:

I got machinarium on a whim and spent the whole afternoon solving it with my girlfriend. It was really cute and fun to tackle as a team. I'm out of the loop on contemporary point and click adventure games, can anyone recommend any more for us to play together? I don't own any consoles but collectively we have PCs, an android tablet and an iPad.

Off the top of my head:
the Deponia series if you like lighthearted fun adventures set in a weird world. I think the buzzwords for that game is it's like playing a Terry Pratchett book
Edna and Harvey if you like Tim Burton
Puzzle Agent if you want to not bother picking stuff up and just go from puzzle to puzzle, with fantastic writing

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Riatsala posted:

Check out the Samorost trilogy, from the same developer. They're each quite a bit shorter than Machinarium but the first two are free online. They also have a couple other point & clicks called Botanicula and CHUCHEL but I've never played those.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 16, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

how is subnautica a RTS? Is there something later because I got it, picked up some rocks and fish, then stopped because it felt like every other open world crafting survival game except underwater

Mentioned it in relationship to Frostpunk, which is more survival than RTS. Subnautica is a survival horror game, but it does take a bit before it really gets started. But it's an excellent horror survival game, so good that I had to stop playing for awhile because a particular scene made me cry.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Riatsala posted:

Tales from the Borderlands is fun to play and watch playing.

Most classic LucasArts have had great remaster (monkey island 1 and 2, day of the tentacle, full throttle) you basically HAVE TO play them if you haven't already.

Life is strange was cute and probably fun to play cooperatively too.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 16, 2018

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Tales from the Borderlands is fun to play and watch playing.

Most classic LucasArts have had great remaster (monkey island 1 and 2, day of the tentacle, full throttle) you basically HAVE TO play them if you haven't already.

Life is strange was cute and probably fun to play cooperatively too.

there's also the furry version of life is strange that all the hipsters say is much better

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Riatsala posted:

Seconding Samorosts, also check out stuff by Wadjet Eye, particularly the Blackwell series, Technobabylon, Primordia.

Also, please tell me you've beaten Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis as a team path.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Primordia is the most thematically similar to Machinarium, although maybe a different tone. Sam & Max is also very good, although the first season from Telltale is a little rough.

After a point Telltale stopped making puzzle-type adventure games and put all their resources into more dramatic games, but what they made before the shift is mostly good.

Evilreaver posted:

I need a multiplayer base builder game, a la Factorio. Anything like that?

If it's the making big automated machines to get tasks done or collect resources, then maybe you'd like something like the Sky Factory mod for Minecraft? That one is all combining a bunch of different mods so you can create a whole world from a tree on a block of dirt floating in a void. There's other modpacks for if you want similar building experiences but an environment to explore as well, like Galacticraft. Just beware that Minecraft, especially after modders have had their way with it, can be a bit of a resource hog and can make your machine really chug.

Alternatively, maybe Astroneer?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Blast of Confetti posted:

Off the top of my head:
the Deponia series if you like lighthearted fun adventures set in a weird world. I think the buzzwords for that game is it's like playing a Terry Pratchett book

If you like sexism, you'll like Deponia.

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok is free and pretty good. Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! is cheap and cheerful, and very British.

If you don't mind going back in time to classic Lucasarts games, The Curse of Monkey Island is modern enough that the interface is good, and it's fully voiced.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Afriscipio posted:

If you like sexism, you'll like Deponia.

Since you didn't elaborate, it just kinda looks like you're calling Confetti sexist for recommending it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Since you didn't elaborate, it just kinda looks like you're calling Confetti sexist for recommending it.

Basically the main character of that series is the biggest loving piece of poo poo. The game kinda tries to call him out on his poo poo, punish him for it, teach him a lesson, and what have you, but he may cross a line in there.

Other than that, the world is fun and the art's nice, just beware. There's a free demo that you can play to see if you're be okay with it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I've mostly heard lukewarm/awful stuff about deponia

Isn't one of the solutions to a puzzle selling a black woman into slavery as a dancing monkey without her consent and to her great ire

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

SlothfulCobra posted:

Primordia is the most thematically similar to Machinarium, although maybe a different tone. Sam & Max is also very good, although the first season from Telltale is a little rough.

After a point Telltale stopped making puzzle-type adventure games and put all their resources into more dramatic games, but what they made before the shift is mostly good.

If it's the making big automated machines to get tasks done or collect resources, then maybe you'd like something like the Sky Factory mod for Minecraft? That one is all combining a bunch of different mods so you can create a whole world from a tree on a block of dirt floating in a void. There's other modpacks for if you want similar building experiences but an environment to explore as well, like Galacticraft. Just beware that Minecraft, especially after modders have had their way with it, can be a bit of a resource hog and can make your machine really chug.

Alternatively, maybe Astroneer?

My game group devoured Minecraft: Feed The Beast and Technic, which means we're burned out there.
Terraria and 7 Days To Die were also huge wins, and allegedly have large patches coming ""soon"" (which is unfortunately where I have my chips atm)

Essentially we're looking for 'persistent world with cooperative goal(s)', which means no 'quickie' coop (Left4Dead, Vermintide, Deep Rock Galactic, Overcooked are all excellent games but don't hit the itch)

Suppose we'll look into Astroneer then

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

McFrugal posted:

On sexism:

rockpapershotgun posted:

And then there’s the game’s grotesque representation and attitude toward women. Within the opening moments of the game, one character has already suggested that a female character’s mentally ill behaviour is because she’s on her period. Women are sex objects, lunatics, sluts or only identified as fat. Two women who’ve joined the resistance army are described as “dressing like men”, and laughed at for thinking they can have army titles. One is taking hormones to be acceptable. PMT jokes abound, and the female lead – Goal – improbably falls in love with the revolting main character despite every dreadful thing he’s done and said.

On other problematic writing in the game:

rockpapershotgun posted:

For example. Of the very few black characters in the game, one of them is being forced to be an organ grinder’s monkey. Yes, a monkey. A puzzle (of sorts) at that stage in the game is to first get rid of the organ grinder, and then to find a replacement monkey, so that Monkey – as it persists in calling him – can become the new grinder. The person you’re required to have become his new dancing monkey, by destroying her life until she has nothing left? The other black character.

And the way you get her to take the job? You literally sell her.

link to the full review here:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/11/wot-i-think-goodbye-deponia

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 17, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evilreaver posted:

My game group devoured Minecraft: Feed The Beast and Technic, which means we're burned out there.
Terraria and 7 Days To Die were also huge wins, and allegedly have large patches coming ""soon"" (which is unfortunately where I have my chips atm)

Essentially we're looking for 'persistent world with cooperative goal(s)', which means no 'quickie' coop (Left4Dead, Vermintide, Deep Rock Galactic, Overcooked are all excellent games but don't hit the itch)

Stardew Valley might be up your alley, though less customisable the the others obviously.

Signs of Life is goon made and good. It's still in early access and also has a big patch coming soon, but the active development is legitimately active.

The Raft looks interesting but I haven't played it yet.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wouldn't normally suggest it but if you're okay with jank you might enjoy FortressCraft Evolved

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 17, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Afriscipio posted:

On sexism:

On other problematic writing in the game:

link to the full review here:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/11/wot-i-think-goodbye-deponia

It is an article by John Walker. That man ignores literally any context in order to prove their point, and gets hung up on the silliest poo poo. As SlothfulCobra said, the main character's behaviour does not go unaddressed. The game is still poorly written though.

It's a lovely point and click for other reasons as well. The puzzles aren't good, and it's not very funny. The story isnt very good. It just has an alright aesthetic.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 17, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Evilreaver posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival might be up your alley. I didn't care for it for some reason I can't articulate, but two friends of mine really enjoyed it. It's janky in the same way that 7 Days to Die is janky so I think you'll like it.

Also The Forest and Ark, Ark in particular. Some people bounce off Ark but that game got several hundred hours out of me.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We really enjoyed Ark when we rented our own server and could adjust things like how often we needed to feed the dinosaurs so that we didn't have to have a feeding schedule and wouldn't log in to find all our dinosaurs had starved overnight. It seems like it's designed for much larger groups than four, but having access to addons and server variables helped automate a lot of the tedious poo poo.

Having access to the poop multiplier was interesting, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It is an article by John Walker. That man ignores literally any context in order to prove their point, and gets hung up on the silliest poo poo.

Is there a context that you think makes the quoted bits acceptable? They sound pretty damning to me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is there a context that you think makes the quoted bits acceptable? They sound pretty damning to me.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

As SlothfulCobra said, the main character's behaviour does not go unaddressed. The game is still poorly written though.
It's a lovely point and click for other reasons as well.

I never said that the quotes are acceptable. Rather, Walker's articles always without failure exaggerate their points and ignore literally anything of merit. It's a bad game for many reasons - but it knows its characters are not good people. It just never actually uses that to make a substantive point. I am not defending Deponia.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
good recent (or recent-ish) non-space 4x games?

looking for something kinda like civ vi, but, y'know, good

eta: i have played and enjoy endless legend

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 18, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Age of Wonders III if you enjoy tactical combat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evilreaver posted:

Belated recommendation: Project Zomboid is worth killing a few weekends on with friends, if you're not completely zombied out. It's a sandbox thing and the main goal is to satisfy your needs for as long as possible but there's a hell of a lot of needs.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 18, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

quadrophrenic posted:

good recent (or recent-ish) non-space 4x games?

looking for something kinda like civ vi, but, y'know, good

eta: i have played and enjoy endless legend

I have:

Aggressors Ancient Rome
Battle Brothers (highly recommended)
Stars in Shadow

E: Sorry most of my 4x's are space games shouldn't have included Stars in Shadow. And yeah Battle Brothers isn't really a 4x game but has 4x type strategy.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 18, 2018

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
battle brothers is dope, but not really a 4x game

will check out the others

or maybe just play some battle brothers again :shrug:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Would Battle Brothers scratch the FFT itch that I have been harboring?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Probably not. You want Voidspire Tactics

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ignite Memories posted:

I haven't played battle brothers yet, but on the off chance you haven't played Tactics Ogre yet, give it a shot.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I played a ROM of it back when that was a thing, but I got really confused and never got far.

Or was that Ogre Battle?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Ogre Battle, probably. Same universe, weird rts style gameplay. Tactics Ogre was really hard to get ahold of, even through emulation until it got a rerelease on psp a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Tactics Ogre is really good. Another good PSP tactics game is Jeanne d'Arc, no idea how you'd play it now though, but you should.

E: Decided I wanted to play Jeanne d'Arc again so I'd check how much old PSPs cost on ebay and all the listings are these:

Guess the factory that made PSP/Vita cases decided to just keep on making them

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 18, 2018