Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

inthesto posted:

So okay, I'm dead set on the hobgoblin who didn't realize "Modern Major General" was a joke.

The question is: How do I preserve the typical hobgoblin culture that's actually quite good at military things, while also putting on airs about being a pompous idiot, because that's what the hobgoblin believes the "civilized" races do?

Basically, I'm asking how to pretend to be incompetent when you're actually competent.
Do you want him to be competent as in he makes the right decisions behind a veneer of idiocy? Have massive dissonance between your rhetoric and your advice. "Haha! These savages will run at the first taste of cold steel! We should retreat to a defensible position and return with reinforcements." "A charge right down the middle! So valiant! The thing of legends! They would sing of us for years! You guys head down the left, I'll take the right. On my signal take them in a pincer."

If you want him to be competent as in he knows what to do, but doesn't do it? Always tell everyone to do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. The exact opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ignite Memories posted:

A few of my friends are starting a DnD podcast and they're running a kickstarter for it. Is that something I could post to this thread, or would that be in poor taste?

I promise to pay 0 dollars for strangers to talk about DnD on youtube.

On the other hand people have already offered them a thousand dollars. I need to start mass producing kickstarters for poo poo I am going to do anyway.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well, it's not so much 'discussing dnd' as it is 'running a game with the intent of editing it as a radio play', but I wouldnt have offered them any money if they weren't friends that I wished happiness upon so I hear ya. Anyway, i figure best case scenario is maybe someone itt will enjoy the podcast for free.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

inthesto posted:

So okay, I'm dead set on the hobgoblin who didn't realize "Modern Major General" was a joke.

The question is: How do I preserve the typical hobgoblin culture that's actually quite good at military things, while also putting on airs about being a pompous idiot, because that's what the hobgoblin believes the "civilized" races do?

Basically, I'm asking how to pretend to be incompetent when you're actually competent.

"I've seen worse."

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

inthesto posted:

(bad) ideas:

Dress like Henry the 8th, speak like Kelsey Grammer in every role ever, and base every decision off of quotations from a treatise on warfare that your hobgoblin found that was written by a wizard who fancied himself a master tactician, but in truth was so incompetent the only way he managed to get anyone to read his hideously bad prose was by cursing his books with a charm? modify memory? spell that (forcefully, magically) enamored the reader with his ideas.

However, your hobgoblin's very war college-educated nature fights this and in spite of being compelled to rush in at the enemy, will rely on his base instincts to extract victory in battle through training and cunning.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 15, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Bloody Stupid Johnson does military strategy.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Imagined posted:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Except these characters are actually incompetent. Gen. Hobgoblin is really good but shackled by his perceptions of how he thinks he's supposed to act.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Novum posted:

Except these characters are actually incompetent. Gen. Hobgoblin is really good but shackled by his perceptions of how he thinks he's supposed to act.

Zaphod is extremely competent too, he just doesn't know it or why because he purposefully altered his brain to keep him from knowing something. But the effect is an idiot who still miraculously accomplishes wonders.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Novum posted:

Seems like a bad character concept dude

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So GM in the 5e game I'm in is thinking of allowing advantages/disadvantages to stack. Any potential drawbacks I should maybe notify them of if they go through this this decision.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Seems like a bad character concept dude

I flat out can't figure out how you'd roleplay an incompetent hobgoblin adventurer that's actually ultra competent. Maybe obsess over grand over complicated plans before every fight with 55 moving pieces, only to immediately just do optimal boring tactics once it starts?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mastershakeman posted:

I flat out can't figure out how you'd roleplay an incompetent hobgoblin adventurer that's actually ultra competent. Maybe obsess over grand over complicated plans before every fight with 55 moving pieces, only to immediately just do optimal boring tactics once it starts?

This and/or deciding on the most optimal decision, but came to that conclusion with the most back-assward reasoning?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Just pretend that evey success was actually just an accident. Tried to run past a bad guy, tripped and hit him in the face with a sword. You were just scratching your nose with the crossbow when it somehow went off. Sneezed and a fireball came out.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Bogan Krkic posted:

Just pretend that evey success was actually just an accident. Tried to run past a bad guy, tripped and hit him in the face with a sword. You were just scratching your nose with the crossbow when it somehow went off. Sneezed and a fireball came out.

I’ve got a buddy playing Mr. Magoo in Waterdeep and that’s what he’s doing. It’s been pretty funny so far.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ignite Memories posted:

A few of my friends are starting a DnD podcast and they're running a kickstarter for it. Is that something I could post to this thread, or would that be in poor taste?

If you're their friend, tell them to ditch the inevitable bad will this will generate and record 10 episodes first using lovely equipment they borrow or already have lying around. If they make it through all ten and are hungry for more, and so is some audience, then they should start a KS (really a Patreon but whatever). I get like weekly emails to my show from people who are like "Hey can we be on your website? We have a D&D game we think is really fun and interesting and we want to record it and so on!" I only ever hear from any of them once and their shows never happen.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Yea, at least some of the big podcasts may need disclaimers saying Warning: These people are talented. You probably are not. They get invitations to perform on/for TV. Do you? (And yea, Wizards shouldn't be backing them really.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

(And yea, Wizards shouldn't be backing them really.)

You're ridiculous.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I cannot stress enough how much this feedback is not helpful to me. They've recorded a bunch already - beyond that, I know the things you know, and have brought up some of these concerns with him too. They're doing it this way, so I linked it to the dnd thread. :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ignite Memories posted:

I cannot stress enough how much this feedback is not helpful to me. I know the things you know, and have brought up some of these concerns with him too. They're doing it this way, so I linked it to the dnd thread. :shrug:

Why do you want the people in the D&D thread to contribute to something you know is a bad idea? Are you trying to scam the thread?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 15, 2018

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

hyphz posted:

Yea, at least some of the big podcasts may need disclaimers saying Warning: These people are talented. You probably are not. They get invitations to perform on/for TV. Do you? (And yea, Wizards shouldn't be backing them really.)

My thing has been around for years and is comparatively enormous and it's still not even close to a safe living wage even just for the two of us. That celebrity level is basically a lottery ticket that you have to put years of full day's work into. And the other thing that's a tough hurdle for the new AP folks is thinking that fun banter at the table is easy to capture. It's a pain. Mercer gets away with it by having a ridiculous amount of help, and a lot of the other big shows get away with it by not really playing any RPG at all, just using it as set dressing (Hello from the Magic Tavern, etc). The best advice you can give any potential nerdcaster is "This is going to be a hobby, do not try to treat it like a job."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

at some point in general hobgoblin's life he stumbled upon a bunch of human comedy plays about an overconfident blusterous general and mistook them for actual history and went 'oh so that's how humans expect generals to act'. so now he adopts those over-the-top mannerisms and people think he's an idiot but get surprised when it turns out he's actually got solid tactical and martial skills

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Why do you want the people in the D&D thread to contribute to something you know is a bad idea? Are you trying to scam the thread?

Cause I think you're an idiot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ignite Memories posted:

Cause I think you're an idiot

Not very nice!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Not very nice!

Did this stop being SA when I wasn't looking? Does this thread need padded guardrails or something?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

I cannot stress enough how much this feedback is not helpful to me. They've recorded a bunch already - beyond that, I know the things you know, and have brought up some of these concerns with him too. They're doing it this way, so I linked it to the dnd thread. :shrug:

Well the response from the thread overall, a mix of uninterested shrugs, corrective attempts, and outright insults, should tell you everything they need to know. Hopefully they hit that potato salad lottery.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

Did this stop being SA when I wasn't looking? Does this thread need padded guardrails or something?

If that would make you more comfortable, I guess we could look into it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
D&D Next: I cannot stress enough how much this feedback is not helpful to me.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

theironjef posted:

My thing has been around for years and is comparatively enormous and it's still not even close to a safe living wage even just for the two of us. That celebrity level is basically a lottery ticket that you have to put years of full day's work into. And the other thing that's a tough hurdle for the new AP folks is thinking that fun banter at the table is easy to capture. It's a pain. Mercer gets away with it by having a ridiculous amount of help, and a lot of the other big shows get away with it by not really playing any RPG at all, just using it as set dressing (Hello from the Magic Tavern, etc). The best advice you can give any potential nerdcaster is "This is going to be a hobby, do not try to treat it like a job."

I was referring there more to stuff like Critical Role (established professional voice actors) and Dragon Friends (established professional comedians) than System Mastery which isn't primarily AP. But as I understand it you've had some comedy training too? Which is probably more than the typical podcaster.

Subjunctive posted:

You're ridiculous.

Well, ok. I'm glad that some of them can get sponsored. But they shouldn't be selling their game on the premise, any more than a company that runs storage auctions should be sponsoring Storage Wars.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 15, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

theironjef posted:

Well the response from the thread overall, a mix of uninterested shrugs, corrective attempts, and outright insults, should tell you everything they need to know. Hopefully they hit that potato salad lottery.

Yeah, thanks anyways. I can rest easy knowing I have shown somebody else the videotape

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Now I remember the seeming idiot crusty old British officer type character I was trying to think of who's actually extremely competent - Dominar Rygel XVI on Farscape.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 15, 2018

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

hyphz posted:

I was referring there more to stuff like Critical Role (established professional voice actors) and Dragon Friends (established professional comedians) than System Mastery which isn't primarily AP. But as I understand it you've had some comedy training too? Which is probably more than the typical podcaster.

No, I totally get it. There are a few people like the McElroys that make their fame from just talent and time but yeah, a ton of the big names have celebrities to begin with. And no, no comedy training. I mean, Jon tried standup for a few months way way back but it's not like he went to school for it or anything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

Well, ok.

Hey how about not putting your words into my mouth.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The competent idiot character the hobgoblin's probably looking for is Vash the Stampede. I know, anime, but he's amazing at everything, but is intensely focused on everyone thinking he's a lucky moron.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

ChaseSP posted:

So GM in the 5e game I'm in is thinking of allowing advantages/disadvantages to stack. Any potential drawbacks I should maybe notify them of if they go through this this decision.

When you say "stack" do you mean "If you have 3 sources of advantage and 1 source of disadvantage, you have advantage"

or

"I have 4 sources of advantage so I'm rolling 5 dice"

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

When you say "stack" do you mean "If you have 3 sources of advantage and 1 source of disadvantage, you have advantage"

or

"I have 4 sources of advantage so I'm rolling 5 dice"

I assume the former, and I also assume the original rule was to prevent an arms war between players and DM counting sources of [dis]advantage. So basically it seems like it would be fine as long as the players and DM aren’t being jerks and counting sources in good faith. Also have a high bar for environmental sources, so as not to slow down every roll with a full accounting of the context.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

look man I have seen some house rules and let me tell you

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The hobgob should seem like an idiot in any sort of planning and then in the midst of battle make all the right moves and shout good tactics. Then as soon as it's over exclaim "well that was a bloody great mess, need to stick to the plan next time boys and we'll have a clean victory for sure." He should have a bunch of papers and maps of battle tactics the other players can see that clearly show he knows what he's doing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

poorlifedecision posted:

The hobgob should seem like an idiot in any sort of planning and then in the midst of battle make all the right moves and shout good tactics. Then as soon as it's over exclaim "well that was a bloody great mess, need to stick to the plan next time boys and we'll have a clean victory for sure." He should have a bunch of papers and maps of battle tactics the other players can see that clearly show he knows what he's doing.

Yeah, this is a great way to do it.

They blame everything that goes wrong on the fact that their (overcomplicated, probably dumb) plan didn't get followed - if everyone would just attend to what they say, the group would have won the fight in half the time and taken no damage. They know that they're super great at improvising once the plan falls apart, but if everyone would just pay attention properly they wouldn't need to. Look, it's simple and intuitive if you'd just read this stack of books that's taller than you are and keep up to date with this wiki these newsletters.

Add in some of these when RPing because they're both great and you can do them at the same time:

Brother Entropy posted:

'oh so that's how humans expect generals to act'. so now he adopts those over-the-top mannerisms and people think he's an idiot but get surprised when it turns out he's actually got solid tactical and martial skills

Splicer posted:

Do you want him to be competent as in he makes the right decisions behind a veneer of idiocy? Have massive dissonance between your rhetoric and your advice. "Haha! These savages will run at the first taste of cold steel! We should retreat to a defensible position and return with reinforcements." "A charge right down the middle! So valiant! The thing of legends! They would sing of us for years! You guys head down the left, I'll take the right. On my signal take them in a pincer."

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Imo that Vash the Stampede inspiration is really spot on