Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Coincidentally, both movies are pretty hacked up by executives and producers and stuff. They're like fairy tales told by sociopaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Mameluke posted:

Also, what was up with Han and Lando deciding to murder that Cthulhu for basically no reason? They would've needed to do the boost out of the black hole no matter what, so they basically just lured it to a painful death for shits.

The more I think about that movie, which I regret having watched once last night, the more it reminds me of the way I hate Jurassic World. They both embody this kind of lazy, cowardly meanness. People who you can point to as embodying real-world ills, like the dinosaur buyers or droid slavers, are barely recipients of the violence that they created the conditions for; they run around in crowds, or get knocked off-camera, or whatever. These people contrast to L3, or the babysitter, or even the Cthulhu. These characters get protracted, painful onscreen deaths for the crimes of being the most incidental antagonists in their works, and they're presented in a way to code them as innocent; young women, animals, etc. It never sits well with me.

That's what happens when a film is created by someone without even a liberal's distorted and contradictory sense of social justice. Like Aliens may be about suppressing a colonial uprising, but in the process Cameron equates Ripley and the Queen, and people inevitably love the Queen too.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

lol at kennedy micromanaging the movie so hard she was in her office googling squids for han solo to murder

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think it's pretty clear that Lando is trying to put a pretty gloss on something that he knows is ghoulish. L3 is dead, fullstop. They tore out the chunk of her brain that contained her topographical(?) memories and jammed it into the Falcon's hard-drive, which hosed up whatever genie serves as the Falcon's computer but didn't in any sense bring L3 back.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course if L3 was serious about equal rights for droids she would have joined the Trade Federation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Harime Nui posted:

I think it's pretty clear that Lando is trying to put a pretty gloss on something that he knows is ghoulish. L3 is dead, fullstop. They tore out the chunk of her brain that contained her topographical(?) memories and jammed it into the Falcon's hard-drive, which hosed up whatever genie serves as the Falcon's computer but didn't in any sense bring L3 back.

The novelization shows us some last moments from L3's POV, at least some of her conciseness survived and was merged into the Falcon.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like what the hell that in all their years of owning the ship, Han and Lando never gave L3 her voice back?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mameluke posted:

Like what the hell that in all their years of owning the ship, Han and Lando never gave L3 her voice back?

They couldn't. She was so ingrained with the ship she wasn't a discrete "L3" entity any more. She had a few last words with Lando, but beyond that she's just a slightly odd computer now.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

They couldn't. She was so ingrained with the ship she wasn't a discrete "L3" entity any more. She had a few last words with Lando, but beyond that she's just a slightly odd computer now.

so you agree that L3 is dead

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Brother Entropy posted:

so you agree that L3 is dead

It's not quite as clear cut as that...as far as "being able to personally interact with humans" goes, yeah she's gone. But some of her "essence" lives on

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

jivjov posted:

The novelization shows us some last moments from L3's POV, at least some of her conciseness survived and was merged into the Falcon.

So she made the Falcon more brusque

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
When it comes to giant octopus movies, one that comes to mind is that movie "Monsters", where literal giant octopuses are ravaging Mexico or something. As I recall, it owns. Turns out it was actually made by the guy who made Rogue One, Gareth Edwards :monocle:
Maybe they should have just let him write his own Star War and it'd be about dianogas or something totally weird.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mooey Cow posted:

Maybe they should have just let him write his own Star War and it'd be about dianogas or something totally weird.

Rogue One did have that weird scene with the dungeon monster that sucks your memories out.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rogue One did have that weird scene with the dungeon monster that sucks your memories out.

shoulda been a deleted scene. It had no bearing on the rest of the movie.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jivjov posted:

It's not quite as clear cut as that...as far as "being able to personally interact with humans" goes, yeah she's gone. But some of her "essence" lives on

What do you mean by "essence"? What is a person's "essence"?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

fridge corn posted:

What do you mean by "essence"? What is a person's "essence"?

Their soul. Droids are alive, after all.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sinding Johansson posted:

You were obviously telling the truth when you said you don't read SMG's posts. I'm not sure why you would feel the need to pretend like this is a response to them. His argument was that after the destruction of the Deathstar, Vader has a change of heart between 4 and 5. You know, when Vader goes from serving the Emperor to plotting to overthrow him. If anything you're finding a new way to support what SMG had already said. Congratulations!

More importantly: why can’t Vader simply disobey his master? There’s nothing physically stopping him from poisoning Palpatine’s corn flakes or putting a bullet through his own head.

That’s where folks like Cnut lose track of the religious dimension of the films: Palpatine is the truth of the Republic laid bare - not only of the Republic, but of society and even the universe in general. Vader cannot disobey because he has seen that Palpatine’s rule is the will of the dark God known as ‘The Force’.

For a more secular analogy, see Galen Erso in Rogue One, who never bothered to kill himself because he knew the creation of the Death Star was inevitable and he would only be delaying it.

And then - this is the sophistication of Rogue One - Erso explicitly does not send news of the Death Star and its weak spot to the Republican Alliance. He has zero faith in them, and rightly so.

Vader is no different - reaching out to Luke the Freedom Fighter, but disappointed when Luke reaffirms his commitment to restoring the Republic.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
lmao did jivjov buy SMG red text

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mechafunkzilla posted:

lmao did jivjov buy SMG red text

Whether he did or not doesn't matter.

Has Pablo Hidalgo declared it part of thread canon?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SMG and Jivjov are the same planet.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

AndyElusive posted:

SMG and Jivjov are the same planet.

Reddit Writing Prompts: Jesus and Satan are brothers.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

porfiria posted:

Reddit Writing Prompts: Jesus and Satan are brothers.

What else do you call two dudes with the same father?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is TLJ the first movie where both the "nerd community" and SMG disliked it?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mantis42 posted:

did it come out before or after Justice League?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
After. Also what was the Nerd Community consensus on Jurassic World? Was there one (did anybody care enough)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

After. Also what was the Nerd Community consensus on Jurassic World? Was there one (did anybody care enough)

Jurassic World is about a colossal monstrosity that society forced back into existence when it just wanted to be left alone.

Also a giant albino t-Rex destroys things :banjo:

If this was truly Colin Treverrow’s vision—to demonstrate the creative bankruptcy of reboots—then he is one cool pot of chili.

(and Chris Pratt magically tames a velociraptor by putting his hand up and saying “Whoa, girl.”)

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 15, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nerds seem to like it. But they’re also stupid people who think it’s sad when the Dino’s die.

Those things need to be wiped out. They’re a menace to the world goddamnit!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

They're not bad, they're just genetically engineered that way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ian Malcom is right

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

You could count Return of the Jedi too, as long as you first accept that Star Wars Fans Don't Like Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Martman posted:

You could count Return of the Jedi too, as long as you first accept that Star Wars Fans Don't Like Star Wars.

Nobody likes Star Wars - they just think they like it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I like ESB but that’s it. Seriously it’s the perfect movie. Watch the asteroid belt scene and tell me every single line in that sequence isn’t a classic.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CelticPredator posted:

Nerds seem to like it. But they’re also stupid people who think it’s sad when the Dino’s die.

Those things need to be wiped out. They’re a menace to the world goddamnit!

It's especially egregious that we're supposed to feel sad about these Dino's, yet simultaneously they try to explain away the movies outdated appearances as genetic engineering. If these Dino's are all unnatural abominations whats so wrong about the I-Rex/IndoRaptor?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

It sure sucked my memory of that scene out :tinfoil:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I like ESB but that’s it. Seriously it’s the perfect movie. Watch the asteroid belt scene and tell me every single line in that sequence isn’t a classic.

Also it’s my favorite music in the whole series.

(Ok maybe tied for DotF)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Harime Nui posted:

I can't speak for the nerd consensus, but I personally think of the film as somewhere roughly midway between Super 8 and a Abrahams/Zucker comedy.

It closely imitates the trappings of a Spielberg family film (moreso than Jurassic Park specifically) especially in regards the characters. The semi-antagonistic relationship between the two brothers, the awkward flirting between Howard and Pratt, the inept or/and malevolent administrators, etc, is all seemingly by the book, only everything is slightly off. The older brother is too distracted and obtuse to be openly antagonism or bullying, Howard and Pratt's flirting doesn't just follow tropes so much that it's preposterously ritualistic (the final kiss being this bizarre climax), and the villain's scheme to create velociraptors as military drones is so shlock as to defy belief. Not to mention Indominus Rex or the joyfully vicious death of some hapless non-character.

And in the fashion of Airplane or the like, all the characters play everything perfect straight.

Now it can be argued if the film was purposely playing up the absurdity or if it was merely inept, but at the risk of resurrecting the spectre of Roland Barthes, the distinction really doesn't interest me. It was just so absolutely subnormal that I couldn't help but laugh at it, and for what it's worth, the theater I saw it in cracked up at it as well -- at all the most inopportune moments.

That said, it's no where near as good as Airplane, and if we're being real, it probably wasn't as good as Super 8.

But I liked it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Waffles Inc. posted:

Cnut realtalk did you recently read a book or essay on analysis or something that really affected your stance on art? I only ask because I remember your posts from ye' olde' days of star war threads and you seem different now

I've said it before, but the ST broke cnut. I don't hold them in very high regard either, but I was disappointed he refused to approach them with the same level of criticism he applied to the OT and PT.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

I've said it before, but the ST broke cnut. I don't hold them in very high regard either, but I was disappointed he refused to approach them with the same level of criticism he applied to the OT and PT.

To be fair we've had years to break down the prequel and original trilogy, and read about other peoples analysis. The sequel trilogy has not been out long enough and still has one more movie. No one bothered to really get into why the prequels were terrible movies until years after that trilogy finished in 2005.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blood Boils posted:

That's not really it; both Cnut and Jivjov have simply reached the limit of their respective ideologies and, when confronted with the truth, have taken a leap down the proverbial Cloud City exhaust pipe.

In either case, you get a circular logic where "intentional things are intended" and "canonical things are canon". And that's an attempt at creating a hermetically-sealed ideological universe where literacy is a terrorist plot. "What you guys are actually doing is attempting to create your own, new works of art by hijacking the actual work," says Cnut.

Harime Nui posted:

Let's go back to ESB for a second to see where SOLO hosed things up.

Han: I need you to talk to the Falcon, find out what's wrong with the hyperdrive. ... Chewie, take the professor in the back and plug him into the hyperdrive.

As always, crucial details are missed here. C3PO doesn't get plugged in. He doesn't have that sort of direct interface, so he's only standing in front of an abstract panel of flashing lights and buzzing sounds, doing his best to decipher it. So though he refers to it as 'talking', C3PO is experienced as a programmer ("Sir, my first job [in the Alliance] was programming binary load-lifters.") and his complaint is that the Falcon's various displays/interfaces are coded all weird.

C3PO: Where is R2 when I need him? Sir, I don't know where your ship learned to communicate, but it has the most peculiar dialect. I believe it says the power coupling on the negative axis has been polarized.

Of course he needs R2 because, although C3PO knows over six million 'forms of communication', he is limited to language: reading, writing, speech, etc. R2 is the one who's designed to plug his mind into computers and directly exchange bytes of data, without any sort of interface. So while characters like Han treat all these forms of communication as interchangeable and refer to them as "speaking", they aren't the same thing.

C3PO: Well, don't blame me! I'm an interpreter. I'm not supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal.

Point being that the Falcon's not a person; it may have a powerful OS, but it hasn't entered the symbolic universe and doesn't actually speak.