Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/DiscoverMag/status/1040699487579197445

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The article has the worst takes on this.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Soon everyone with a chronic condition will have to set up a pharmaceutical lab in their basement be able to afford their medicine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bert Roberge posted:

Soon everyone with a chronic condition will have to set up a pharmaceutical lab in their basement be able to afford their medicine.

Some of them will die because the batch went bad but it’s O.K. because it will only happen to a few people per batch.

:thunk:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bert Roberge posted:

gosh, everyone in this neighbourhood seems to be suffering chronic back pain

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lv_Xl1e4U

:negative:

This was actually entertaining and anyone who owns a car or something has experienced devaluation.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 08:58 on Sep 15, 2018

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"DIYers". Just like fixing a leaky tap, except if you fail you're dead.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

i only inject artisanal organic microbrew insulin, just lol at the sad sacks still buying the brand-name crap

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TheMostFrench posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lv_Xl1e4U

:negative:

This was actually entertaining and anyone who owns a car or something has experienced devaluation.

Well that was depressing despite seeing it coming.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but aggressively convincing/basically forcing kids to get a degree to get any non-blue collar job, and then cranking up the cost of a degree seems kinda predatory.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

degrees are in general bullshit anyways and are used as an ideological whipping crop to get workers to blame themselves for having a lovely economic situation because they don't have a degree or didn't get good enough grades or go to a good enough school or whatever stupid bullshit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Outrail posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but aggressively convincing/basically forcing kids to get a degree to get any non-blue collar job, and then cranking up the cost of a degree seems kinda predatory.

comedyblissoption posted:

degrees are in general bullshit anyways and are used as an ideological whipping crop to get workers to blame themselves for having a lovely economic situation because they don't have a degree or didn't get good enough grades or go to a good enough school or whatever stupid bullshit

And then it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm surprised Amazon doesnt pay its caged workers in Amazon bucks.

Until last Sunday they didn't even have a system in place to give fake company scrip to the guys who do the actual hardest job in the building, it was all geared towards rewarding the people who do the easiest non-management job.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And then it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Not entirely. A smart and forward thinking young person can decide to go into a modestly to well paying trade that won't destroy their body, thoughtfully invest their earnings instead of blowing it on motorbikes and Hahaha haha sorry

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Outrail posted:

Not entirely. A smart and forward thinking young person can decide to go into a modestly to well paying trade that won't destroy their body, thoughtfully invest their earnings instead of blowing it on motorbikes and Hahaha haha sorry

Objection, your honor, blaming the victim.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I work in the biopharma packaging industry and holy poo poo is this ever a bad idea. Sterilization and septic connections are critical throughout the process and a single gently caress up can ruin a whole batch. There is no way to practically downscale the operation for home use like brewing beer or whatever.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I work in the biopharma packaging industry and holy poo poo is this ever a bad idea. Sterilization and septic connections are critical throughout the process and a single gently caress up can ruin a whole batch. There is no way to practically downscale the operation for home use like brewing beer or whatever.

Forreal. Even if you somehowed managed to produce a product that wasnt like 99% LPS, the dosage would be so horribly off that it would either do nothing or you would instantly go into hypoglycaemic shock and die.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Holy poo poo you're not wrong:

quote:

After digging into the insulin affordability issue, we argue that what’s keeping insulin expensive is not patents – it’s regulations. By operating in a regulatory blind spot, DIYers could upset the status quo for drug production.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

If companies ddn't have to worry about being FORCED to sterilize their equipment and accurately measure the doses, they could sell it for less. and less is more!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Honestly, one of the big cost drivers in biopharm is lack of standardization. Every company does things their own way and require custom products with custom port locations, connector types, filters, etc.

Some trade groups are starting to spring up to try and address this but there is a long way to go. A huge portion of my job is to make variations of single-use bags for a single customer with the hope that they will order maybe 100 a year.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Outrail posted:

Semi-serious question: does this exist?

For content, here's something I found when I typed "capitalism" into Google image search.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Holy poo poo you're not wrong:

Lol w/o having clicked the link this must be satire

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/commiegirl1/status/1040644653479997442

overlord bezos thanks you for the spit-clean boots, uh... commiegirl1

feller
Jul 5, 2006

it's just icky wicky

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://twitter.com/commiegirl1/status/1040644653479997442

overlord bezos thanks you for the spit-clean boots, uh... commiegirl1

except Jeff Bezos isn’t a private citizen. he’s a public figure that just so happens to be the richest person in the world thanks to brutalizing countless Americans

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

You could argue it's like a bill of attainder but still gently caress him

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think that any product that is necessary to sustain life will inevitably be priced as high as possible, no matter how many competitors make the product. That insulin is over-priced despite there being more than one company in the market is because the companies have a gentleman's agreement not to compete with each other on price. There is really no way to enforce a ban on gentleman's agreements, only direct drug price legislation can work.

The only situation where this wouldn't be the case is if the product can be made in a foreign country, in which case the foreign company wouldn't care that they would be taking money from people who live on the other side of the world.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

qkkl posted:

I think that any product that is necessary to sustain life will inevitably be priced as high as possible, no matter how many competitors make the product. That insulin is over-priced despite there being more than one company in the market is because the companies have a gentleman's agreement not to compete with each other on price. There is really no way to enforce a ban on gentleman's agreements, only direct drug price legislation can work.

The only situation where this wouldn't be the case is if the product can be made in a foreign country, in which case the foreign company wouldn't care that they would be taking money from people who live on the other side of the world.

It's almost like we need some govt regulation to protect people.

It's almost like libertarians are wrong!?!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the reason single payer (i.e. medicare for all) is better than american market hellworld system is because it's effectively a form of direct price control through creating a monopsony (single buyer) to counter oligopoly/monopoly (single seller)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LMFAO

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Moon Slayer posted:

Semi-serious question: does this exist?

For content, here's something I found when I typed "capitalism" into Google image search.

Man, I thought that signature was Enoch Powell for a second, what a ride.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

americans get really really mad about taxes and someone reaching into their pockets and taking their poo poo

but they ignore the bosses doing this to them on a far larger scale

Obedient Workers

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

americans get really really mad about taxes and someone reaching into their pockets and taking their poo poo

Obedient Workers

they actually get really mad when their money is taken and then used on other people. they don't mind the government taking their money and fixing the roads where they live. i'm wondering what americans would feel about simply price controls, like for example a law where a drug that's been on the market for twenty years cannot be sold for more than the amount it costs to manufacture/ship plus a 5% profit margin. the percentage can be customized based on how long the drug has been on the market, so a newly invented drug that's still under patent could for example be allowed a 50% profit margin to encourage people to develop new drugs.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Maybe we should just remove the profit motive from healthcare because it shouldn't be about making a loving profit.

qkkl posted:

be allowed a 50% profit margin to encourage people to develop new drugs.

The government funds most drug R&D right now, private companies just make a couple changes then make bank off privatizing the government funded research. The profit is not going into R&D, it's going to executive bank accounts.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Obedient Workers

Canadians tend to have this vague notion that First Nations people are being cut cheques for $70k a year for nothing, despite them being over represented in our penal system and child poverty statistics, to the point that our national broadcaster, CBC, has to disable comments for any news story that has to do with First Nations people.

The odd time that a story makes reference to someone of FN descent or has to do with one of our northern territories and the comments are allowed... proves why the policy is in place.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Obedient Workers

Not going to lie, I still get a knee-jerk reaction every time I look at my pay slip and see $200 taken out for federal tax, state tax, health, dental, etc. I think "man, I really could have used that $200 extra this month." but then I come to my senses and remember that if I get into a car accident tomorrow, that's when all the money that's been taken out so far will be worth it. Plus, roads and clean water and that stuff.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Maybe we should just remove the profit motive from healthcare because it shouldn't be about making a loving profit.

The government funds most drug R&D right now, private companies just make a couple changes then make bank off privatizing the government funded research. The profit is not going into R&D, it's going to executive bank accounts.

The purpose of allowing companies to make a profit would be to give an incentive for future companies to develop new drugs. Even if the R&D is funded by the government it would still be good to give those researchers who receive the government funds an incentive to work hard. A researcher would work harder on developing the cure for cancer if they knew that they would be a billionaire if they succeeded, as opposed to just receiving their government funded salary.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
eh I was thinking about becoming the greatest figure in all of medical history and receiving universal acclaim and the undying gratitude of billions, but what's in it for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lol imagine thinking the actual researchers are gonna be the ones making billions, and not the execs that own and run the company the researchers work for

Imagine thinking that