Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Skwirl posted:

First look at Sabrina
https://twitter.com/sabrinanetflix/status/1040238679699206144?s=19

Phone posting so haven't watched the teaser l.

:stare: That was actually chilling I’m impressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I just want old school Aunt Hilda and Zelda chilling out while Salem makes snippy comments.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Andrew_1985 posted:

I just want old school Aunt Hilda and Zelda

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wow Aunt Zelda looks like Reggie in drag.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

I just want old school Aunt Hilda and Zelda chilling out while Salem makes snippy comments.

no I want the new creepy ones but Salem is voiced by the exact same guy and throws zingers in with creepy dialogue

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oracle posted:

Wow Aunt Zelda looks like Reggie in drag.

I can only assume you mean Hilda on the right and are thinking of Jughead.

TwoPair posted:

no I want the new creepy ones but Salem is voiced by the exact same guy and throws zingers in with creepy dialogue

I desperately hope Salem doesn't talk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For quite some time I thought Sailor Moon was supposed to be some kind of weird Sabrina cartoon because in English, Sailor Moon was called "Serena" which I kept mishearing as "Sabrina" and they both had black cats who could talk. :v:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TwoPair posted:

this 100%

I have a feeling Salem may not talk at all. But I want Nick Bakay to return!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HIJK posted:

:stare: That was actually chilling I’m impressed

It's from the people who made the show where Betty goes full on Sybil and Archie forms a teen ISIS, so, it's not surprising that it's a little dark.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It's from the people who made the show where Betty goes full on Sybil and Archie forms a teen ISIS, so, it's not surprising that it's a little dark.

Is anyone involved in both shows besides the producer?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, but it only exists because of Riverdale, so even if not I'd assume they'd at least try and emulate some of the tone .

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Ugh, do I have to watch Riverdale now? Everything I hear about it makes it sound like either the worst thing ever or the most batshit-insane.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TwoPair posted:

Ugh, do I have to watch Riverdale now? Everything I hear about it makes it sound like either the worst thing ever or the most batshit-insane.

It is batshit-insane and the 1st season is good.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Even while reading the very good and very unsettling Afterlife With Archie (also written by the showrunner of both shows), I was still hearing all of Salem's lines in Nick Bakay's voice because it just made sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Riverdale owns

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Riverdale is fun as hell, and really has fun adapting the material. A lot of people mistake it as edgy Archie, but that's only kind of true. It's more adapting the Archie characters into a CW teen drama format with a complete awareness and reverence for the tropes of the format and the characters that they're adapting.

I think the best description of it is a comedy with no jokes in it. It's ridiculous, but disciplined in how straight faced it is.

It is a show where:

When Cheryl Blossom is attacked, she literally dons a superhero outfit and begins firing arrows at her attacker
It is a show where there is a mobster from Montreal named Papa Poutine with a son named Small Fry
It's a show where Pop's closing down or being owned by someone bad is still constantly a plotline
It's a show where the bad guy gang the South Side Serpents from Lil' Archie are a literal ethnicity
It's a show where the main drug is basically pixie sticks.

Riverdale is an amazing show. Season 1 is a tighter and better experience than Season 2, but it's overall one of the most fun things on TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Riverdale is the best show on the CW by a wide margin.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's a show where the main drug is basically pixie sticks.[/spoiler]

Riverdale is an amazing show. Season 1 is a tighter and better experience than Season 2, but it's overall one of the most fun things on TV.

Oh poo poo, someone's dealing in Supercool?!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Riverdale is above Douglas Cirk levels of melodrama played totally straight and it's hilarious and I can't believe it's a hit because it feels so much like something normies would hate.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Vince MechMahon posted:

Riverdale is above Douglas Cirk levels of melodrama played totally straight and it's hilarious and I can't believe it's a hit because it feels so much like something normies would hate.

Honestly I think the cinematography elevates it far beyond what it should be. Everything else is typical CW fare but it's such a beautifully shot show that it's just a delight to watch and that lends some prestige to the rest of the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also Cheryl Blossom is a goddamned delight in every way.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Oh poo poo, someone's dealing in Supercool?!

Tittay!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Riverdale is the best show on the CW by a wide margin.
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is very good

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 15, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is very good

Yeah, but it only has one more season, sadly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

They're both filmed in Van so at the very least they undoubtably share a lot of general crew members! Not sure about writing staff or anything tho.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also Riverdale is v good. It's a lot like a Twin Peaks-lite but instead of riffing on daytime soaps it riffs on CW teen schlock drama.

e: also sadly no supernatural poo poo yet tho I coulda sworn S1 and 2 were setting up some weird magic cult Blossom poo poo

fake e2: the show also has madchen amick serve a LOT of pie. like every other scene of hers in S1 she is making or dishing out pie lmao

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I couldn't get into Riverdale, but couldn't. Though if Sabrina keeps the tone of that trailer, it will be great.

Getting around to watching Iron Fist season 2 and this is way better than season 1. The plot gets moving right away, and not a huge amount of boring business talk. Colleen fighting in the Kitchen felt like something out of a jackie Chan movie almost. You'd think they'd get a HK fight director for the show.. Detective Colleen is pretty great as well.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

TheDK posted:

Tittay!

Shut up Gary!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just watched Blackcoat’s Daughter so I’m super up for Sabrina now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retro Futurist posted:

I just watched Blackcoat’s Daughter so I’m super up for Sabrina now.

I didn’t realize that’s who’s playing Sabrina. That is one good, but hosed up movie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kiernan Shipka is dope as hellllll

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

I take it back. I want 90s Hilda & Zelda.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Andrew_1985 posted:

I take it back. I want 90s Hilda & Zelda.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

esperterra posted:

Kiernan Shipka is dope as hellllll

By the end of Mad Men she was acting circles around the adults in the room.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Skwirl posted:

By the end of Mad Men she was acting circles around the adults in the room.

Hell by the mid point she was already one of the best actors on the show, let alone the feat of being a child actor who didn't annoy the poo poo out of me from day 1.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A bit more Titans news, not sure if I should spoiler this or not it has Jason Todd as Robin too. (Side note/question), in the comics hadn't Dick Greyson already become Nightwing before Jason Todd showed up?

So I have a pretty good guess as the either the mid season twist or the season finale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uh oh, DT effort post incoming.

So in not Titans topics. I am struggling to make it through Luke Cage S2. I have 5 episodes left and I'm ready to bail out and jump to IFS2. Does Mariah put on the super suit from S1 and fight Luke or anything actually interesting happen?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

So in not Titans topics. I am struggling to make it through Luke Cage S2. I have 5 episodes left and I'm ready to bail out and jump to IFS2. Does Mariah put on the super suit from S1 and fight Luke or anything actually interesting happen?

I didn't think it was very good. Final episode spoilers Nightshade poisons her mother, and finds out that in her final moments she changed her will to leave everything to Luke. Season ends with Luke Cage peering down on his new nightclub, the "honest criminal empire" that Harlem needs.

I really didn't like LCs2, but it wasn't as bad as JJs2. Iron Fist s2 was better than IFs1 but that's like saying this lemonade tastes better than a glass of urine.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

If you can't make it through s2 of LC, I highly doubt IF s2 will fare any better.

Edit: also I had that Sabrina comic!! I loved Archie I had a billion of them (including some of my grandmother and mom's from the 60s/70s), Cheryl Blossom was my fav so I'm glad Riverdale is doing her justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

If you can't make it through s2 of LC, I highly doubt IF s2 will fare any better.

Yeah, I had to basically force myself through JJs2. LC did pick up quite a lot as I'm on the finale right now. I didn't care for Bushmaster at all. He comes in as a murderous rear end in a top hat and the attempt to flip him to sympathetic towards the end doesn't sit well with me. But I will eternally love Alfre Woodard because she's so good at making me hate her in this so I'm glad I stuck through it for her. And of course Misty but I could gush about Simone for hours.

I am going to give IF a chance but only because Colleen and Misty are in it.