Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Twin Peaks is a fictional television show
You’re the one who is fictional, and *in an extremely Charlie voice* I’m going to end your story too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I dyed by beard red and went as cheerleader Nadine for Halloween last year and no one got it.

It's harder to walk around completely trashed with an eyepatch than you would think.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Have there been good explanations online of what the ending was all about? I read some back when the show ended and through a few weeks afterwards but stopped reading and looking online after a while.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Cooper retroactively prevented Laura's murder, but the more things change the more they stay the same, man.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Cooper fucks up while saving Laura. He pulls her out of reality, hesitates on the threshold, and loses her like Orpheus does Eurydice. Cooper then performs a ritual with Diane to sacrifice his own self and his own love to travel into the underworld to try and save Laura again. He hesitates again, but Laura has a spark of recognition, connects with her life, and the dark world collapses.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Rocco posted:

That Super Nadine poo poo sucked.

Super Nadine is a silly and ridiculous story that ends with a great payoff when it shifts back into serious and totally torpedoes the brief chance that Big Ed and Norma have at being happy together.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Your Parents posted:

Cooper fucks up while saving Laura. He pulls her out of reality, hesitates on the threshold, and loses her like Orpheus does Eurydice. Cooper then performs a ritual with Diane to sacrifice his own self and his own love to travel into the underworld to try and save Laura again. He hesitates again, but Laura has a spark of recognition, connects with her life, and the dark world collapses.

Laura is the one.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Your Parents posted:

drat what a good loving show

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/JamesADamore/status/1041027304682483712

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

He doesn’t deserve to exist in this thread.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The google incel

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://m.wikihow.com/Create-a-Tulpa

Simple

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

“Tulpas are often associated with My Little Pony lovers, but many different tulpae exist.”

What.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

i imagine someone reading this and saying "yeah, but how do i gently caress it?"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

“Tulpas are often associated with My Little Pony lovers, but many different tulpae exist.”

What.

Self-induced 4chan mental illness

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I've been rewatching Lynch movies. The last one was Lost Highway. The scene where the main character sits in his room, thinking about her (avoiding spoilers), is so similar to Part 8, with the buzzing sounds and random out of focus shots. It's around the one hour and 19 minutes mark.
Check it out. Also, that movie is so nineties, holy poo poo. And Gary Busey is in it. :psyduck:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

What the ever loving gently caress?!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Odddzy posted:

Have there been good explanations online of what the ending was all about? I read some back when the show ended and through a few weeks afterwards but stopped reading and looking online after a while.

At the end Laura realizes her own illusory status, the fact that she's a fantasy of the men in the story (including Cooper), someone to be rescued or obsessed over, and the fantasy collapses because of its own inconsistencies. The low-fi type of weird effects the show has are supposed to highlight the story as an inconsistent fantasy

I don't like explanations that rely on "timelines" and stuff that try to reconcile the plot into something that makes sense. It's a show that works thematically and through mood and allusion, not through something you can put on some childish videogame franchise timeline graph. When Cooper is in the strange world at the end, it's not another timeline, but a fantasy-as-nightmare of Laura having been saved

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 16, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It’s both and neither.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Hundreds of interpretations of the finale, all of which are valid and extremely personal.

Lynch definitely gave us the ending we needed, not the one we wanted :unsmith:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it works on one level to the exclusion of any other level. I like thinking about how Lynch plays with the relationship with the audience. FWWM starts with the smashing of a TV (basically what TP did), and then ends with saved Laura basking in the blue glow like the light of a TV. Basically the character of Laura Palmer is always going to exist as this loved entity based on the popularity of the TV show, never mind what her actual last days were like. Now S3E18 is basically re-writing history. If you try to strip away the original show, what are you left with? It's just awkward and weird and sad in the harsh light of the 21st century. The audience's baggage is such a critical part of S3, if you strip it all away, S18 is probably just as disorienting as the rest of S3 is for someone who's never seen S1&2. S3E18 is about a woman with a totally f-ed up past that she's totally blocked out, and some sicko (you, the audience) is pushing her to confront that past. You may think it's for her own good, but it's really about your own need for resolution. What a sick gently caress you are, audience!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I take it for what it really is, dumb & stupid

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
A friend sent me this custom Agent Cooper action figure today. This is 6" scale, so it fits in with Marvel Legends and most DC superheroes, plus the Star Wars Black figure line.

At some point I'd like to paint the tie the iconic red, white, and black stripe pattern that he wore in the pilot, so it looks even more like Coop.

The body is from a Dark Knight Rises Movie Masters Alfred figure, and the head is from a DC Multiverse Atom figure (based on Brandon Routh's likeness, from the Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow, and Flash shows). They're both made by Mattel and in the same scale, so we were lucky the head fit perfectly on the body.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It doesn't really look like him at all.

Maybe someone from China can make a realistic Cooper. Some of the doll heads I've seen on AliExpress are insane

Edit: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32860992181.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32860992181

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 17, 2018

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I take it for what it really is, dumb & stupid

Hot take displaying a dismissal of an artistic endeavor? Sounds like someone needs their lack of imagination validated via posting their opinion.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Shibawanko posted:

At the end Laura realizes her own illusory status, the fact that she's a fantasy of the men in the story (including Cooper), someone to be rescued or obsessed over, and the fantasy collapses because of its own inconsistencies. The low-fi type of weird effects the show has are supposed to highlight the story as an inconsistent fantasy

I don't like explanations that rely on "timelines" and stuff that try to reconcile the plot into something that makes sense. It's a show that works thematically and through mood and allusion, not through something you can put on some childish videogame franchise timeline graph. When Cooper is in the strange world at the end, it's not another timeline, but a fantasy-as-nightmare of Laura having been saved

Laura is the only real person on the show and is explicitly drawn with more depth than anyone else. Magic FBI Detective Man isn't a real person having a fantasy of being a savior. He is the fantasy.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The vast majority of season 3 is Cooper learning what actual humans are like because he's a dream that's been lost inside of another dream for 25 years.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I don't want to hear any readings about Twin Peaks being a TV show and therefore a "dream" because that is loving lame

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

BetterLekNextTime posted:

S3E18 is about a woman with a totally f-ed up past that she's totally blocked out, and some sicko (you, the audience) is pushing her to confront that past. You may think it's for her own good, but it's really about your own need for resolution. What a sick gently caress you are, audience!
This just feels weird to me because no I didn't want any more closure to Laura's story, Fire Walk With Me told me everything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I want a Denise action figure.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Your Parents posted:

The vast majority of season 3 is Cooper learning what actual humans are like because he's a dream that's been lost inside of another dream for 25 years.

Laura is the Fayth, and Cooper is the star Blitzball player.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Alan_Shore posted:

I don't want to hear any readings about Twin Peaks being a TV show and therefore a "dream" because that is loving lame

sorry dude its david lynch so literally everything is about dreams and dream worlds and the symbolic language of dreams

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HD DAD posted:

Laura is the Fayth, and Cooper is the star Blitzball player.
Is James that kid that wants to be a blitzball when he grows up?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Alan_Shore posted:

It doesn't really look like him at all.

It looks like they gave him Dylan McDermott's head.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
i loved the early interpretation posted many, many pages ago about the ending being a sort of... indictment of Cooper's hubris-tic attempt to shape and form reality. meddling with forces so much more powerful, ancient, and alien to anything he can possibly comprehend that a simple decade+ period of mental training (or whatever the gently caress he was doing in the black lodge all this time) is so..... stupid.

i've randomly popped on episodes of the series since reading this, and you can see shades of cooper's control-freak nature and attempts to control various forms of chaos to his own ends occasionally. like the season 1 "tossing rocks at a glass bottle to eliminate suspects" scene.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
If i didn't enjoy/understand much of The Return during its initial play, is it worth buying the DVDs/Blurays for the deleted scenes and the chance to watch it in fewer sittings?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Return is great on a rewatch, I picked up a lot more when I was less anxious about seeing the plot move forward

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

If i didn't enjoy/understand much of The Return during its initial play, is it worth buying the DVDs/Blurays for the deleted scenes and the chance to watch it in fewer sittings?

There aren't any deleted scenes on the blu ray. But if you like Lynch and want to see hours of behind-the-scenes stuff, it's definitely worth it.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

wa27 posted:

There aren't any deleted scenes on the blu ray. But if you like Lynch and want to see hours of behind-the-scenes stuff, it's definitely worth it.

Twin Peaks is the only Lynch thing I know, so that's not much of a draw.

Is it generally easier to understand with less sittings? As an example I only knew Coop had somehow changed the past because this thread said so. And even with that I'm not clear in the specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tangential question, had you seen the first two seasons or, more importantly, Fire Walk With Me? Cause the changing-the-past bit is 2017 Coop literally inserted directly into the old scenes.