Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

The last time I snopesed my mom somebody butted in with that XKCD comic but I'm too tired to tell if it's being serious or making an ironic joke.

The xkcd is at best tongue in cheek about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

hey google, stop this poo poo. It tricks me into thinking I got a new email by shoving it to the top of the pile. I am not a moron, if I wanted to reply to an email I already read, I would have done it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just wanted to say, sorry about the misunderstanding about psychopathy a few days ago. I read online about the physical affects on the brain, like the 20% less function of activity in the amygdala and thought it counted as a physiological illness rather than a social one.

Articles like this one: https://www.med.wisc.edu/news-and-events/2011/november/psychopaths-brains-differences-structure-function/

Must have took the wrong thing from it. Didn't mean any offense.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I cant blame people for trying to understand it. I just hate people who fling it out like it means nothing.

EDIT:

When someone says "go read a book" because they think someone is being a moron. It implies that reading anything makes you smart or knowledgeable. You don't gain knowledge by consuming pages, but by knowing what to look for. In fact, if you pick up a book, it is probably filled with a good amount of irrelevant or useless information as you are exercising in intellectual wankery. It is also a poor way to measure intelligence or critical thinking. Maybe you read all Ayn Rands books, doesn't mean you don't spread false information all the time or can read and understand a scientific paper or know how to interpret data. Books are just the surface level of gaining knowledge on a topic.

Midig has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Sep 15, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't know why it annoys me so much, but when people ask "do you want to (do something nobody would want to do but they are willing/obligated to do it anyway)". Like do you want to come in on sunday, or do you want to help your parents do their taxes or help them pull weeds. No, I don't want to, but I will. Stop trying to trick me into thinking extra work is something I enjoy doing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are people like that in Germany?

I read an article about how people in the Netherlands are way more direct and honest in everyday interactions to the point where American tourists think they are being rude. I would like more honesty instead of the fake chatter we have in the states.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I read an article about how people in the Netherlands are way more direct and honest in everyday interactions. I would like more honesty instead of the fake chatter we have in the states.

At work there it is more like "I need you to do ____ by ____" typically when it's my boss, although there was a lot of "do you want to meet/work together on ____" with no follow-up too among colleagues. The peeve has specifically been reignited since I've been visiting home back in the US.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I read an article about how people in the Netherlands are way more direct and honest in everyday interactions to the point where American tourists think they are being rude. I would like more honesty instead of the fake chatter we have in the states.

Come to Finland if you don't want dumb fake chatter

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't know why it annoys me so much, but when people ask "do you want to (do something nobody would want to do but they are willing/obligated to do it anyway)". Like do you want to come in on sunday, or do you want to help your parents do their taxes or help them pull weeds. No, I don't want to, but I will. Stop trying to trick me into thinking extra work is something I enjoy doing.

Related: "Do you think you'll have X done today" when the correct answer is obviously "yes I will" even if no, I won't.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My kid's middle-school science teacher pronounces "genus" "genius". :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When you play a video on Facebook and then you decide you don't want to watch it any more, you click it again to make it stop because that's how every video player in the universe works. Except Facebook's, because there it just makes it bigger. :argh:

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Shift manager: Do you have the opportunity to stay for an extra hour at work?"

Me: No. I have exams and I already took on more work then I should have.

Shift Manager: Ok, you can leave after having done 5 tasks which is definitely not an obvious attempt at making you stay for that hour anyway.

Suffice to say, I always say no to this person when they ask for me to cover their shifts. If I am forced to stay there, tell me I have to. That way I can actually complain to HR if they overstep boundaries, but trying to pretend like I have a choice and then make fake compromises pisses me off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ah yeah, my last job I'd finish up my tasks early, and I'd go to the kitchen manager and be like, hey, any quick prep I can do? I have fifteen minutes and I wanna help out.

Sure! Hard boil, cool, and peel two dozen eggs!

Ok, that's not fifteen minutes--

Well you asked if there was anything else you could do!

And so I never finished my tasks early again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Despite sharing my garden with my downstairs neighbour I'm the only one who does anything to it, so it quickly gets out of hand because I'm always tired from work. I have been working on it over the last few weeks though and it's waaaaay better so I'm glad I bothered. My peeve is that he never is seen out there himself, he just leaves it up to me to turn it from this:

to this:

So far that's three weekends of weeding, entirely on my own and I'm tired. The only green should be the bush, which was 75% weed by mass before I cut it way back, and the flowerbed, which is that mound of earth in the corner.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

If you work in an office and spend 90% of your time in front of a computer and you still suck at email in TYOOL 2018, gently caress you. You should be fired. All I ask is that you answer the questions I ask you, use complete sentences, and don't write in the manner of a stroke victim, especially when you correspond with clients. I would fire several of my co-workers if I could based purely on how they present themselves to other agencies and institutions over email. It's always the same Boomers who rag on millennials for not knowing obscure or outdated skills that also can't use a keyboard past a third grade level despite having decades to practice. My aunt learned to code in Python at the age of 68; what the gently caress is your excuse, Ted?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BioEnchanted posted:

So far that's three weekends of weeding, entirely on my own and I'm tired. The only green should be the bush, which was 75% weed by mass before I cut it way back, and the flowerbed, which is that mound of earth in the corner.

If you only want the Bush green then put down concrete or herbicide. Dont complain that he doesn't help and then just halfass it yourself. Do it right or dont do it. There are many methods of low maintenance half wild landscaping that are functional and nice. This is my peeve.

Atticus_1354 has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Sep 15, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

If you only want the Bush green then put down concrete or herbicide. Dont complain that he doesn't help and then just halfass it yourself. Do it right or dont do it. There are many methods of low maintenance half wild landscaping that is functional and nice.

It's a rented property so I can't just put down concrete, and I'll be looking for the right kind of herbicide later to finish off the worst of the weeds. The majority of the garden is covered by a tarp with gravel and earth layered on top, so the weeds are rooting under the tarp where I cannot get to, and again as it is rented I can't just pull up the entire tarp to get rid of them. I have limited things I can do, this is the best I can do in the scope of my resources/permissions.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a rented property so I can't just put down concrete, and I'll be looking for the right kind of herbicide later to finish off the worst of the weeds. The majority of the garden is covered by a tarp with gravel and earth layered on top, so the weeds are rooting under the tarp where I cannot get to, and again as it is rented I can't just pull up the entire tarp to get rid of them. I have limited things I can do, this is the best I can do in the scope of my resources/permissions.

Glyphosate and preemergent on the gravel areas.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

Glyphosate and preemergent on the gravel areas.

Thanks for the tip. Also I could do without the accusations of halfassing it when I've been working hard on it for a month to get it to the state it is in now. I'm probably being inefficient, but I never had my own (to a given value of "my") garden before this property and I don't know the best way to go about it. Luckily my next door neighbours, who appreciate the work I put in where I can, are professional gardeners so are there to give me tips on trickier things and offer their own critiques.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Sep 15, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Twitter keeps showing me notifications twice. I'll look at Twitter, see there are some notifications and look at them, and then several hours later I'll look at Twitter again and see there are notifications, but when I go to the notifications tab it's just the same ones from before showing up as unread again for some reason.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know some people who really, not in a troll way, believe that businesses, schools, etc should have the right to discriminate because it's freedom. IE they themselves would never shop at a store with a NO BLACKS sign, but clearly telling businesses they have to serve EVERYONE is wrong. Of course it only seems to be loving white people, mostly men, straight men, who think it's fine and I'm the bigot because I would rather the racism be quiet instead of looking at NO FAGS signs on bakery windows.

Same people probably wonder why it's such a big deal the Papa Johns dude said a word that most black rappers say.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Whenever I'm out walking around town, like a quarter of the people driving by roll down their windows and scream as loud as they can at me. Not a phrase or anything, just AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Is this the current cool kid dipshit trend now that people are bored with eating Tide pods?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Whenever I'm out walking around town, like a quarter of the people driving by roll down their windows and scream as loud as they can at me. Not a phrase or anything, just AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Is this the current cool kid dipshit trend now that people are bored with eating Tide pods?

Oh my god, it's true. Like I get people yelling incomprehensible poo poo all dopplered to gently caress as they pass. And relatedly, breaking into so much as a light trot seems to invite "run Forrest run" from idiots who were sperms when that movie came out. Will we ever be free?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, that's the worst. Especially annoying when they honk for no reason and you jump right out of your skin and end up hoping they'll crash.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Where do you guys live? Never seen that happen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Places with high concentrations of idiots.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

In my college town that was what the locals did every day, except the might call you a human being and throw food or a drink at you too

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

BioEnchanted posted:

Places with high concentrations of idiots.

Florida?

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
My coworkers only ever talk about their kids, or tell long stories about bad customer service they've received. I'd like to socialize with them more but I really never have anything to add to either of those conversations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Not Peeve: Chrome(And possibly other browsers?) allowing sites to push desktop notifications, provided they get permission.
Peeve: Billions of sites rushing to push for trying to get users to accept desktop notifications.
Peeve: Once that didn't work, many of the same sites will start pushing popups in the middle/top middle of the screen trying to get you to give them desktop notification permission.

Could you just... not?
Atleast have the loving decency to only show it after I've been on the site for a while, or browse to other pages.

HEY IT'S SO NICE YOU'RE READING THIS ARTICLE SOMEONE LINKED.I KNOW YOU'VE ONLY BEEN ON OUR PAGE FOR 2 SECONDS, BUT PLEASE OH PLEASE LET US PUSH EVERY SINGLE NEWS STORY WE HAVE STRAIGHT TO YOUR DESKTOP. OH PRETTY PLEASE.

At the very least give me the option to autoblock all those permission requests, and just show an icon on the address bar instead, which I can look for if I genuinely like a site, or would appreciate notifications from it.
(Chrome only has an 'ask before sending' toggle, which I assume is the feature giving me the option to allow/deny instead of getting their notifications autoaccepted.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That's up there with "please white list us with your ad blocker, we won't be obnoxious, promise!" No, you loving will. Guaranteed. The instant I turn that off I'll be bombarded with bullshit and malware.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I watch a Ben Shapiro video on Youtube and hit the "dislike" button, they should figure out that means I do not want to be inundated with recommendations for more Ben Shapiro videos. Maybe it's intentional on their part and Google is trying to neg me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

If I watch a Ben Shapiro video on Youtube and hit the "dislike" button, they should figure out that means I do not want to be inundated with recommendations for more Ben Shapiro videos. Maybe it's intentional on their part and Google is trying to neg me.

All engagement is considered good. The fact that you took the time to watch the video and react to it shows that it achieved its goal (as far as YouTube is concerned) of getting you to spend time on the site and potentially see more ads.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Back when I first saw those change your mind memes I wanted to know what the deal was and watched a few and I'm still trying to get the crowder/shapiro/jordan peterson videos off my recommendations. The shapiro ones are the worst because he has such an annoying face and always chooses the most punchable facial expression for the thumbnail, and the titles DO that THING to try and get people to EPICLY REACT and CLICK on them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's up there with "please white list us with your ad blocker, we won't be obnoxious, promise!" No, you loving will. Guaranteed. The instant I turn that off I'll be bombarded with bullshit and malware.

The only time that ever worked on me was when I still played Star Trek Online, and a wiki had a Ferengi quoting the 57th Rule of Acquisition: free advice is seldom cheap.

That was clever enough to get me to unblock since their ads were fairly inobtrusive

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i always have problems with my ears but every time i get sick with a cold, at least one of them gets super clogged. and that's happening now. and i want to scream

i should go get my ears flushed sometime soon

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Midig posted:

Shift manager: Do you have the opportunity to stay for an extra hour at work?"

Me: No. I have exams and I already took on more work then I should have.

Shift Manager: Ok, you can leave after having done 5 tasks which is definitely not an obvious attempt at making you stay for that hour anyway.

Suffice to say, I always say no to this person when they ask for me to cover their shifts. If I am forced to stay there, tell me I have to. That way I can actually complain to HR if they overstep boundaries, but trying to pretend like I have a choice and then make fake compromises pisses me off.

Ok I am sure I’m wording this really badly but I am crazy tired and only slept 8 hours in the past 4 days (due to work yay)

As a manager I have sort of the opposite thing. If you already did your work I’m probably gonna send you home early or when you’re scheduled (or even if you just ask and it’s slow), never past that, but if it’s like, a poo poo ton of poo poo comes in at the last minute, I DO need the help, otherwise I would have to do it myself and then I would be there an extra (actually probably closer to 2) hour, and we close at 11. So stop (not you, Midig) getting all huffy when we get a rush at the last minute and then I ask you to ONLY take out the trash, then you can leave.

At least the people I close with have gotten pretty good at understanding that my rear end stays 30 minutes after them anyways so I get out at 12:00 and don’t get home till 1:00am so they very rarely complain anymore.

But yeah I do agree, there are definitely managers that are assholes like you describe. “Can I go home, I really need to do [x] and I’m just an associate that isn’t needed.” “Just do 123456789 and 10” first. This one manager I had comes to mind.

Not related:
Those assholes that have their motorcycles or cars with the really loud muffler or whatever installed. The ones that go rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when they’re parked and then go rrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR when they invariably speed off. You stupid gently caress, I live on the 12th floor of an all brick apartment building, my windows are closed, and the loud in-window air conditioner is on. And your stupid loving tiny dick rear end STILL woke me up. Oh and like I mentioned I only slept 8 hours in the past 2 days so it’s extra nice that you woke me up :)

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably on top 10 list of smarmy disingenuous douchebags I want to punch in the dick.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

Not related:
Those assholes that have their motorcycles or cars with the really loud muffler or whatever installed. The ones that go rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when they’re parked and then go rrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR when they invariably speed off. You stupid gently caress, I live on the 12th floor of an all brick apartment building, my windows are closed, and the loud in-window air conditioner is on. And your stupid loving tiny dick rear end STILL woke me up. Oh and like I mentioned I only slept 8 hours in the past 2 days so it’s extra nice that you woke me up :)

I lived on a street that was a popular stunting location for bikes and cars. All day and night BBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrmmmmm constantly. It was infuriating.

Until August 4th, 2014. One of the best days of my life, when the police set up a speed trap on the street, and I spent the entire Canada Day long weekend on my patio, with a beer, watching douchebags get pulled over. It was perfect and wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

The Snoo posted:

i always have problems with my ears but every time i get sick with a cold, at least one of them gets super clogged. and that's happening now. and i want to scream

i should go get my ears flushed sometime soon

Hey me too! I'm sure my constant WHAT WAS THAT and ear-worrying to try and get it to pop back the right way is driving my co-workers nuts.

Silver lining tho, I'm sleeping like a baby, I live right beside an airport but if I lie on my left side even plane noise is no match for my gluey gross ear canal :getin: