Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That was incredibly brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you preserve the street grid and small lots a community can rebuild from even the worst disasters. But nothing is worse cancer to a city than urban freeways, sprawling campuses and their lagoons of parking, and stadium scams.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I am seriously loving what you're putting out, genuinely fascinating stuff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Good to see Tulsa getting some representation. And :yeah: for the swipe at the NRA. Keep it up!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Made a major change to my dumb island, realized, like always, I made my "tiny map where I can build a tiny detailed city" way too big, so I aggressively got rid of land. What used to be large hills have turned into bays. Hopefully with a smaller area I can focus more, which is why I can islands as they create a nice set canvas that can look "done" without a million hours of farmland and suburb detailing.

I wanted to focus more on public spaces, public spaces really define the city and can be anything from a small residential intersection with some benches and trees to a grand formal plaza. It's amazing how quicly some trees and benches can make an area go from a concrete wasteland to feeling like a pleasant place humans actually live. Another great mod is this "point of interest" that's a totally invisible little free-placed gathering point so it lets small crowds gather in squares and markets.

Things like arches also help create "outdoor rooms" that define spaces and make them more cozy.

This little bit of the habour doesn't look fancy but it was a lot of work due to some terrain issues and getting that sort of retaining wall behind the high school looking nice.

Something that drives me nuts is when doors are hanging high in the air, adding stairs really helps.

Crowds, trees, and paving at the city's big official formal main square. Squares like this in real life can often feel a bit too big to be cozy, but are quite often used for events which transform them into places that feel very crowded and unpleasant instead of empty.

I also tried to let the city tell me where markets and squares should be. The pathway through this area is very busy, a lot of trams unload nearby and people seem to like to walk along the water. It felt like a natural high-traffic area to add some kiosks and seating. The huge old tree provides shade for seating and you can see some little crowds enjoying the area.

Just around the corner is the tram stop and a medium sized historic church. Areas like this can easily become dead zones with buildings like that long hotel. No shops, not many doors, this is a very 'course grain' area. Breaking it up with some landscaping and tucked away seating areas I think really helps, and the fact that the area is probably the city's busiest transit interchange, helps make sure it never feels like a dead zone.

The opposite of course-grained development is of course fine-grained, lots of small individual buildings. These are really the back doors, but they needed stairs. I imagine the street side has the shops and office entrances while these back doors leads to the apartments above.

This used to be a village just outside the city wall but almost everything was re-developed at the turn of the century. The little old church and a few centuries-old buildings remain, but most have been replaced by bigger 19th and early 20th century blocks during the city's first big expansion outside of its traditional walls.

Old town is about 90% built out now. A couple empty blocks and a good amount of detailing to be done, but it's nice to see the historic inner-city filled out. I love the farmland in the background.

Doing nothing put plopping the same Feinbild and Titan european buildings over and over for days can get stale so I started a lightly detailed industrial area. Really enjoy detailing overgrown forgotten industrial voids like the spaces between railways and industrial estates.

Thanks for looking at yet more fantasy euro-cities because lord knows the skylines community sure is short on that. And thanks for the advice previously about decals, I really appreciate stuff like that. I get enraged at first that it's opened up so much more work but it's the only way to get better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Boat Zone

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Made this little slice of shore into a functioning well-visited park. Almost too well visited, I don't know why the game packs those gazebos with like 50 people, looks ridiculous. The stairs down were very tricky to make.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baronjutter posted:

Made this little slice of shore into a functioning well-visited park. Almost too well visited, I don't know why the game packs those gazebos with like 50 people, looks ridiculous. The stairs down were very tricky to make.

For a waterfront city park on a weekend? That's a realistic number of people. Especially if you have grills and fishing spots.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Are you guys doing unlimited money for your creative builds or do you play normal?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Are there any good collections of good custom offices, apartments, factories, warehouses etc, or do I need to go through the workshop and subscribe to them one by one?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sex Robot posted:

Are you guys doing unlimited money for your creative builds or do you play normal?

I always use unlimited money, all having money on does is make the first half hour or so a pain in the rear end waiting game and after that it becomes totally meaningless.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

How do you guys approach parking lots? Do you still use them as ploppable parks? Or do you RICO them? I am really looking into doing more detailing, especially bringing my zoned areas to life, specifically my low residential and parking and such has been a pain in the rear end and all people seem to want to talk about is set piece stuff like ports and campuses.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sex Robot posted:

How do you guys approach parking lots? Do you still use them as ploppable parks? Or do you RICO them? I am really looking into doing more detailing, especially bringing my zoned areas to life, specifically my low residential and parking and such has been a pain in the rear end and all people seem to want to talk about is set piece stuff like ports and campuses.

I use the parking lot roads as they are literally game changing in their usefulness.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Parklife is 25% off until Monday am. Worth it?

Also, if you're missing an expansion, everything else is 50% off until Monday.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Albino Squirrel posted:

Parklife is 25% off until Monday am. Worth it?

Also, if you're missing an expansion, everything else is 50% off until Monday.

Parklife isn't bad, make sure to get the mod that lets you use parklife parks as normal parks, and normal parks as parklife parks. There's still a real shortage of content for parks sadly but the mod at least lets you make more interesting multi-building parks. The whole park level up system is silly and the "management" aspect, like most official mechanics, are barely noticeable.

Speaking of park life, one thing I hate about it is that all your parks and their names and borders show up when you're building your city, is there any way to hide all that? I'd love to be able only see the park names and levels if I'm in park-mode and not have them cluttering the screen otherwise.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Baronjutter posted:

Parklife isn't bad, make sure to get the mod that lets you use parklife parks as normal parks, and normal parks as parklife parks. There's still a real shortage of content for parks sadly but the mod at least lets you make more interesting multi-building parks. The whole park level up system is silly and the "management" aspect, like most official mechanics, are barely noticeable.

Speaking of park life, one thing I hate about it is that all your parks and their names and borders show up when you're building your city, is there any way to hide all that? I'd love to be able only see the park names and levels if I'm in park-mode and not have them cluttering the screen otherwise.

Mod is called Parkify and the DLC is a boon if you like your detailing and placing trees and loving with small scale landscaping.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Sex Robot posted:

Mod is called Parkify and the DLC is a boon if you like your detailing and placing trees and loving with small scale landscaping.

Thanks for that info and the sales headup.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Only issue with Parkify is there's no granular control over which assets it affects and which it doesn't.

I'm going to try and bribe BloodyPengiun into putting that functionality at the top of their to-do list.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
did a cross-promotion with bsquiklehausen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DHAOFrnOAM

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Oh poo poo I'm sittin here eatin chicken and this will go perfectly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trying to sort of re-create a real-life location:

Based off this area in north west germany and netherlands. Chain of islands called the Frisian Islands in a huge tidal mudflat ecosystem called the Wadden Sea. The plan is to replace the last real-life populated island, Wangerooge (worth looking up, has no cars and a tiny railway) with an alternate-history island. Alternate geography? Instead of yet another old sandy dune island, there will be an odd rocky outcropping here that allowed a slightly more significant island to form.

Here's the real area. I tried to get the local roads close-enough but my farms are just roughly inspired by the general type and shape of farms in the area, it's not field for field perfect.

Plan on getting the tide mod and see if it lets me better recreate this terrain better since it's an area so defined by tide.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi again skylines thread, here's more pictures of stuff.

Been loving around with procedural objects to do stuff like this building extending over top of an arch.

Part of a lovely little square.

Other side of the arch

Went with a lighter more formal paving for the main square.

Here's really the whole thing so far...

The Island

The whole map

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Every time I read this thread it bums me out and I end up stop playing because you guys make things look so nice, functional and artsy when all my cities end up looking like Etobicoke (rows and rows of boring suburbs and straight roads that go on forever). :smith:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Every time I read this thread it bums me out and I end up stop playing because you guys make things look so nice, functional and artsy when all my cities end up looking like Etobicoke (rows and rows of boring suburbs and straight roads that go on forever). :smith:

What you need to do is expropriate land to run a light rail line through that makes no sense in terms of where it runs and only goes over tier 1 buildings and light commercial

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Furnaceface posted:

Nothing boring about Etobicoke. You just need to get the mod that allows you to arbitrarily halve your city council.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Furnaceface posted:

I too am currently struggling with trying to make my cities have more character and my detailing. Especially with zoned residential areas, trying to create neighbourhoods that feel unique.

My current project is Diamond Flats, a low income housing project.

It looks like rear end atm but it's been an excellent learning experience in both prop detailing and how to responsibly use RICO assets.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 12, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sick off work but not too sick for some skylines...

Working on a 100% functional beach that is also a parklife park.

I loving love these wet and dry breakwater rocks, so good for shore detailing. Not all shores have huge concrete retaining walls, a pile-o-rocks gets the job done. I've also been enjoying invisible paths that you can decal over to make much more subtle and natural looking paths.

This whole corner of the city and beach are done enough that I can take this picture without any massive fields of undeveloped grass in the background.

Winding narrow medieval streets

Created a better tram station out of Titans tram stop props

Market

This once spacious block was invaded by a dead-end lane that allowed a bunch of 19th century tenements to go up around it.

This half of the block probably used to be a large church school but was walled-in by later development and a more modern school built in the middle.

Hid the ugly transition between the road and tram road with a strip of thin medians. Looks more like the sidewalk continues nicely around the corner.

This street full of small shops supports the local neighbourhood's retail needs and is a pleasant place to hang out and run into friends.

I love the way the street curve and flow into the gate to the main square.

Too many authors create huge ugly blank walls, hide them with ivy!

City so far

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Relevant:

Angry over diversity in children's show, NRA TV depicts 'Thomas & Friends' in KKK hoods

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/12/nra-tv-dana-loesch-thomas-tank-engine-kkk-hood/1286727002/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

BaronJutter killing it like always :eyepop:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LADY TRAINS ARE A THREAT TO GUN RIGHTS.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Why would to be mean to those nice trains.

Did they realize Atlas Shrugged was wrong about private train ownership?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Sex Robot posted:

I too am currently struggling with trying to make my cities have more character and my detailing. Especially with zoned residential areas, trying to create neighbourhoods that feel unique.

My current project is Diamond Flats, a low income housing project.

It looks like rear end atm but it's been an excellent learning experience in both prop detailing and how to responsibly use RICO assets.

I found it to be kind of reminiscent of this place I used to walk by daily:

https://goo.gl/maps/cVjxy8UrU1J2

Just because it's a housing project doesn't mean they don't deserve green space. Or possibly brown space

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Relevant:

Angry over diversity in children's show, NRA TV depicts 'Thomas & Friends' in KKK hoods

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/12/nra-tv-dana-loesch-thomas-tank-engine-kkk-hood/1286727002/

I... it reads like an onion article... is it a parody article? Surely, right?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nope, it real. Have a flinstones.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nope, it real. Have a flinstones.

so he's going 60mph in a car powered by his feet is what I'm taking away from this

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

so he's going 60mph in a car powered by his feet is what I'm taking away from this

Flintstone ain't no slowpoke

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Fred Flintstone ist der übermench.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I assume CO has outsourced their switch version? Is there any news on what the next DLC/Expansion will be? I heard a couple random rumour it will have something to do with farming, which sounds promising, but jesus I don't trust CO to do it right.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I haven't played since before Mass Transit, and just picked it up again - is there a modern equivalent of the old ARIS Enhanced [*] AI mods?

I'm really enjoying, of all things, the disaster mechanics. Just as I was within reach of unlocking the airport, a tsunami came from a coast I hadn't even spotted and scoured half my city. Luckily there was a river that safeguarded the newer half, but turns out cims don't really like living in 2004-era New Orleans, and by the time the waters had settled I'd lost over half my population to emigration. I honestly figured I was hosed, but clawing my way back to having not just a functional but a thriving city was some of the most satisfying poo poo I've done in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

New player here. No DLC besides the free ones. What am I getting into besides accidently polluting my drinking water with my sewage water?

Any tips besides not putting your sewage up stream?