Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Every fight that Midoriya loses makes it seem like he lets the other guy win - literally cheering on his opponent and getting him to awaken his potential with Todoroki and just lying there like a dead fish against Bakugo even though he could have easily thrown him off. Not as satisfied with the resolution to that fight as I thought, I was hoping for a clear winner and not one of them to just give up fighting.

The reason deku didn't throw him off is because bakugo could've exploded his face and killed him, that was the end of the fight. Bakugo did not actually want to kill deku, but they fought to point where he proved that if he really wanted to, he could've killed deku before deku killed him. The fight was already over as soon as bakugo got deku in that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deified Data posted:

I guess the anime makes Bakugo's blasts seem a lot less damaging than they actually are because "take the blast and use OfA to easily overpower his hold" seemed like a viable strategy to me

losing your entire face is not a viable strategy for winning a fight that's not supposed to be life or death in the first place

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
do you think midoriya's power lies in his quirk? in his spirit? in his unwavering will? no, it's the freckles. you ask that he sacrifice the source of his might. you idiot, you utter poltroon

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

losing your entire face is not a viable strategy for winning a fight that's not supposed to be life or death in the first place

Especially after he promised his mom that he was going to avoid letting himself get horribly maimed all the time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Deified Data posted:

I guess the anime makes Bakugo's blasts seem a lot less damaging than they actually are because "take the blast and use OfA to easily overpower his hold" seemed like a viable strategy to me

Bakugo's blasts were blowing out building windows and the final hit jackhammered Deku into the ground. Regardless of OFA's power I'm not sure Deku had much endurance left.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Anybody notice that Bakugo has scars on his arms now? I guess the kickback from his explosions has taken its toll, especially since he went to his limit against All Might

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carlosologist posted:

Anybody notice that Bakugo has scars on his arms now? I guess the kickback from his explosions has taken its toll, especially since he went to his limit against All Might

Those are from Deku kicking him and him blocking, they were just bruises.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have a dumb question: is the green lighting 100% for our benefit or the characters can see it too?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oxxidation posted:

It's fine, All For One doesn't have a face and he's doing ok

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

gmq posted:

I have a dumb question: is the green lighting 100% for our benefit or the characters can see it too?

I think it's for our benefit, since All Might didn't have it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

gmq posted:

I think it's visible to others. Also I think it's kind of a sign that Deku uses the power differently than All Might does.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Onmi posted:

I think it's for our benefit, since All Might didn't have it

All Might doesn't usually have it cause he's using the Quirk differently from Deku; he's just a natural genius at it that he can just use One For All properly.

But when fighting One For All he does show the sparks when he no longer has the strength to maintain his muscle form fully and instead applies it to only one arm.

Manga version.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1040900169460400128

https://twitter.com/chriswofford313/status/1040953682412666880

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

It's fine, All For One doesn't have a face and he's doing ok

The best part of that is that All for One says he still has nightmares of All Might charging at him with his guts hanging out, so All Might caved his skull in after getting his guts all hosed up.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rhonne posted:

The best part of that is that All for One says he still has nightmares of All Might charging at him with his guts hanging out, so All Might caved his skull in after getting his guts all hosed up.

I still love the last little, "Oh no, not again." face All For One makes right before he gets it again.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I found that Bakugo was much more tolerable as a character once I realized that he was basically teen vegeta.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
When his voice cracks, the audience does too.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I've honestly liked Bakugo ever since he got one place higher than Midoriya in the mid terms. It really cemented the fact that he does back up his smack, and is actually super intelligent and not just running on instinct like every other aggressive fight-savant character in shonen anime. This recent episode was just the frosting on the character cake for me.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I actually find the whole "Bakugo is basically perfect at everything, just a dick about it" really tiresome. Especially here where the fight was basically "lol Bakugo wins," kind of making Deku look like a chump in the process.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I really like that Bakugo beat Deku's self-professed MMA fighting style by taking him to the ground and pinning him

And Deku was like :kiddo: so.... how was my technique?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Flesnolk posted:

I actually find the whole "Bakugo is basically perfect at everything, just a dick about it" really tiresome. Especially here where the fight was basically "lol Bakugo wins," kind of making Deku look like a chump in the process.

That's not Bakugo's character. His character is "He's skilled and smart, but actually has a tonne of Neurosis, confidence issues, and other flaws, that all present themselves as being an rear end in a top hat."

He's not the strongest in class (That's probably Todoroki) and he's not the smartest (That's definitely Yaoyorozu) And he's got terrible social skills and a complete inability to talk about them to anyone.

Again, his rage at Deku was spawned from a legitimate feeling that Deku was looking down upon him, that the adoration and friendship were purely Deku trying to mock and humiliate him. In fact, it's really clear that Bakugo, for all his blustering, has TERRIBLE self-esteem issues.

Cephas posted:

I really like that Bakugo beat Deku's self-professed MMA fighting style by taking him to the ground and pinning him

And Deku was like :kiddo: so.... how was my technique?

And then Bakugo gave him advice to do more mix-up fighting rather than relying on majority kicks. In his own way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Flesnolk posted:

Why do people think deku looked like a chump? Because he lost? As a reminder, the two of them have one win against the other now. It's an even series, and Deku appeared to have the thing won until Bakugo turned it around at literally the last second.

You can lose and still look ridiculously tough. Deku did.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

I actually find the whole "Bakugo is basically perfect at everything, just a dick about it" really tiresome.

Literally two episodes he failed a pretty major test!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Why do people think deku looked like a chump? Because he lost? As a reminder, the two of them have one win against the other now. It's an even series, and Deku appeared to have the thing won until Bakugo turned it around at literally the last second.

Also maybe it's not clear, but Bakugo's face is fuuuucked up from that punch.

Like he won the battle, but it's very clear that he took the brunt of the actual fight.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I mean Bakugo's mom described his major flaws pretty succinctly. He got a ton of praise as a kid due to winning the genetic lottery and never failed up until probably Deku beat him the first time. Like the series doesn't explicitly poo poo on him, but he takes Ls left and right up until this fight with Deku. Also, have you met a teenage boy? They aren't quite good at explaining their feelings.

He's so full of passion that his win at the sports festival makes people see him as potentially villainous, which just serves to make him angrier because people just don't get that he wanted Todoroki to not hold back and give him his all.

Bakugo's probably one of the best written shonen characters in a really long time

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Agronox posted:

Literally two episodes he failed a pretty major test!

Which he failed not through any personal inability of his own, but by acting like a dick. If he'd gotten eliminated by meatball guy, for instance, that would be a different story.

Shinjobi posted:

The fight looked pretty one-sided to me, Bakugo seemed in control the whole time, got a couple bruises at worst, and took the best shot Deku was willing/able to give right to the face and just went "nope" and won. Which is a really poor way to debut a new way of using Deku's power I think.

Edit: Yeah, the punch is definitely sold better in the manga, looking at that panel that got posted while I was posting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bakugo is a smart, driven, even sensitive kid, but unfortunately that is all filtered through a brain going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" all the time

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Flesnolk posted:

Which he failed not through any personal inability of his own, but by acting like a dick. If he'd gotten eliminated by meatball guy, for instance, that would be a different story.

His personality flaws are a form of personal inability, I would say.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I found that Bakugo was much more tolerable as a character once I realized that he was basically teen vegeta.

The thing that makes Bakugo and Vegeta great, and Sasuke terrible, is that the narrative has no time for their poo poo. Vegeta's saiyan pride and Bakugo's... everything, is constantly turned into a punchline. Even when they're cool or victorious, there's still room to poke at them.

Oxxidation posted:

bakugo is a smart, driven, even sensitive kid, but unfortunately that is all filtered through a brain going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" all the time

Bakugo has the worst case of the Shonens of everyone in MHA. Not even Shonen Rival Syndrome. He's got the original strain.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

His personality flaws are a form of personal inability, I would say.

That comes right back to my finding "his only weakness is he's a complete rear end in a top hat all the time" boring though. I guess I've been hoping for more moments like when he was up against All Might in the exam and just couldn't do jack to him.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 19, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carlosologist posted:

I mean Bakugo's mom described his major flaws pretty succinctly. He got a ton of praise as a kid due to winning the genetic lottery and never failed up until probably Deku beat him the first time. Like the series doesn't explicitly poo poo on him, but he takes Ls left and right up until this fight with Deku. Also, have you met a teenage boy? They aren't quite good at explaining their feelings.

He's so full of passion that his win at the sports festival makes people see him as potentially villainous, which just serves to make him angrier because people just don't get that he wanted Todoroki to not hold back and give him his all.

Bakugo's probably one of the best written shonen characters in a really long time

He also won the genetic lottery in more then just his quirk, as his mom said he was good at everything he tried.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Only just caught up after falling behind a few weeks.

Was not prepared for motherfucking Bakugo to make me cry. They've done a fantastic job with him this season. Bakugo blaming himself for what happened to All Might was so nicely done. It hadn't remotely occurred to me that that was bothering him until he came out and said it, at which point I hit my palm to my forehead and went "oh poo poo, duh" for being such a dumbass. It's so dramatically appropriate and flows so well from what we already knew about him beforehand.

I thought the exam overall was pretty 'meh' compared to the tournament arc or the camp attack->saving Bakugo arc, but Bakugo Vs Deku Round 2 gives us a nice high to ride out the end of the season on.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

That comes right back to my finding "his only weakness is he's a complete rear end in a top hat all the time" boring though. I guess I've been hoping for more moments like when he was up against All Might in the exam and just couldn't do jack to him.

in a series about cooperation and surpassing people that's a pretty major flaw.

and as others have pointed out he's not the strongest, smartest or even the most talented.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bakugo was also pissed that he beat Deku in the first place, since Deku was supposed to win with the power of All Might

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Aizawa should keep his hair up all the time. It... it looks good.

Carlosologist posted:

Bakugo was also pissed that he beat Deku in the first place, since Deku was supposed to win with the power of All Might

Imagine if Deku said "But I'm only at 8% of his power" to Bakugo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

Imagine if Deku said "But I'm only at 8% of his power" to Bakugo.

Author note: This show does not rely on power levels or percent. The 8% part is purely a mental thing and not to be taken as an actual marker.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mordaedil posted:

Author note: This show does not rely on power levels or percent. The 8% part is purely a mental thing and not to be taken as an actual marker.

That doesn't really change my point.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

What about the first time deku beat him

Also meatball guy did beat him, he had to rely on a buddy to save him after

His quirk gives him a lot of power and mobility, which makes him a pretty versatile powerhouse in a fight, and he's deceptively intelligent, but he's not exactly unbeatable. I mean, there was a whole arc where everyone else had to rescue him because he got chumped.

It sounds like you want him to get a satisfying beat down, which I guess hasn't happened since deku vs bakugo r1, but this fight I thought deku put up more than a good fight. Bakugo was controlling the fight until deku went to 8%, at which point deku controlled the fight until bakugo pulled a reversal on him. Both of them got a lot of good punches in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Flesnolk posted:

The fight looked pretty one-sided to me, Bakugo seemed in control the whole time, got a couple bruises at worst, and took the best shot Deku was willing/able to give right to the face and just went "nope" and won. Which is a really poor way to debut a new way of using Deku's power I think.

Edit: Yeah, the punch is definitely sold better in the manga, looking at that panel that got posted while I was posting.

I'd like to note that ignoring enemy's big hit and going for the counter is exactly how All Might beat All For One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

What about the first time deku beat him

Also meatball guy did beat him, he had to rely on a buddy to save him after

His quirk gives him a lot of power and mobility, which makes him a pretty versatile powerhouse in a fight, and he's deceptively intelligent, but he's not exactly unbeatable. I mean, there was a whole arc where everyone else had to rescue him because he got chumped.

It sounds like you want him to get a satisfying beat down, which I guess hasn't happened since deku vs bakugo r1, but this fight I thought deku put up more than a good fight. Bakugo was controlling the fight until deku went to 8%, at which point deku controlled the fight until bakugo pulled a reversal on him. Both of them got a lot of good punches in.

lots of people want bakugo to be the schoolyard bully archetype who constantly gets humbled for cheap catharsis until all his rough edges are sanded off