Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arrhythmia posted:

Well, that and the fact that you shouldn't chomp special souls in any souls game.

Not until you know what you can do with them, anyway. I usually eat boss souls where the weapon isn't good, like Last Giant, or is only decent but doesn't fit your build, like Covetous Demon on a non-str build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I guess actually the description does give a hint that the Giants will get their revenge on Vendrick in death.

My problem was that I interpreted "Can be used to acquire souls, only..." as "Can be used to acquire souls, only."

Thankfully I had only gotten one before I started reading wikis.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Paracelsus posted:

Not until you know what you can do with them, anyway. I usually eat boss souls where the weapon isn't good, like Last Giant, or is only decent but doesn't fit your build, like Covetous Demon on a non-str build.

I’ve never been hard up for souls and not had a random soul to burn instead, so I keep all boss souls no matter what. Cause maybe one day I’ll do that all weapons achievement? Only one I pop is the sanctuary guardian soul in DS1 since it does nothing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I pretty much always know what my build is going to be in advance and I pop everything that's not relevant(which is almost every boss soul or sometimes literally every boss soul). It's nice. You level quite a bit faster.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The ancient dragon is super easy with the big toe strat. It just takes a few minutes to kill him, really easy, low execution. Vendrick is harder than the Ancient Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgpRWDxTdw

Stand between the toes of his back foot and he cannot hurt you. Leave a little stamina between each series of attacks in case he flies up to breathe fire on you, if he does, keep his tail in your camera and run towards it. Once he's finished with that attack, you have plenty of time to get back into position and continue attacking.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 15, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feelix posted:

My problem was that I interpreted "Can be used to acquire souls, only..." as "Can be used to acquire souls, only."

That's what I read it as too.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
loving up your playthrough and getting salty about it and then a year later telling other people that they should have known better is a Dark Souls rite of passage. Let's not tamper with tradition here.

edit: I should add that I bumbled my way through my first Dark Souls 2 playthrough without understanding what Giant Souls even were or that Vendrick was a boss and not just an NPC. Only this year did I realize what I had missed. I don't think I ate any of them but I might as well have.

Volte fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 15, 2018

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The way that Vendrick works, it definitely seems more like a secret ending along the lines of Yuria's ending in DS3. It is a bit of a bummer that it's the best ending that gets locked behind two optional and not super interesting boss fights.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Volte posted:

loving up your playthrough and getting salty about it and then a year later telling other people that they should have known better is a Dark Souls rite of passage. Let's not tamper with tradition here.

edit: I should add that I bumbled my way through my first Dark Souls 2 playthrough without understanding what Giant Souls even were or that Vendrick was a boss and not just an NPC. Only this year did I realize what I had missed. I don't think I ate any of them but I might as well have.

Yeah I didn't kill Vendrick because he's just a non hostile guy walking around

It's actually super generous how even if you get the bad end you can still use bonfire ascetics to get the stuff you missed without having to go through the game again

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think the best Dark Souls experience is to bumble through the game blind and later realise you missed half the content. Having said that I do think the end game of DS2 could have been a teeny bit clearer about what was happening. Everything after the Ancient Dragon is pretty hard to figure out without checking a walkthrough.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Where is Benhart supposed to be in Drangleic? Wiki says bonfire after the Dragonriders, but I don’t see him?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Where is Benhart supposed to be in Drangleic? Wiki says bonfire after the Dragonriders, but I don’t see him?
Exhaust his dialogue at the entrance to the Shaded Woods. He has a bit when you first meet him, but he only introduces himself after you free Rosabeth.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Weird, I thought I did that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He needs to affirm his debt to be paid on his sick sword, teach you a gesture, and then he will spawn at the fire just after the dragon riders.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

The ancient dragon is super easy with the big toe strat. It just takes a few minutes to kill him, really easy, low execution. Vendrick is harder than the Ancient Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgpRWDxTdw

Stand between the toes of his back foot and he cannot hurt you. Leave a little stamina between each series of attacks in case he flies up to breathe fire on you, if he does, keep his tail in your camera and run towards it. Once he's finished with that attack, you have plenty of time to get back into position and continue attacking.

That is indeed a great strat and makes it a joke. I usually killed him with high fire res gear and grass all the time to run away fast enough but this is way easier.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
So this is a stupid question, but is there any build site? I reinstalled DS2 after a while and want to play through it with an overpowered character so I can try to get more achievements (already did a first play-through with a faith build when it was op).

I don't have the DLCs (got busy around that time), and I don't have SotFS.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

JadaX posted:

So this is a stupid question, but is there any build site? I reinstalled DS2 after a while and want to play through it with an overpowered character so I can try to get more achievements (already did a first play-through with a faith build when it was op).

I don't have the DLCs (got busy around that time), and I don't have SotFS.

https://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2

Get the DLCs, they're good.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

In Undead Crypt, what’s the trigger for the reaper dudes to show up. I can tell it has something to do with the bell ringing, but who is ringing the bell?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The basic undead will wake up and smack them. To my knowledge, you can also hit them with a weapon.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

IIRC with scholar they added a second or third bell ringing undead that show up late to troll you

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rubellavator posted:

IIRC with scholar they added a second or third bell ringing undead that show up late to troll you
Ya you basically have to stick around twiddling your thumbs next to the already hidden bell underneath the staircase and then after a while some rear end in a top hat zombie will rise from the ground right next to the bell being like "trololol". He might even come back once, or a second one comes, and maybe it's not time-based and they actually spawn if you walk a bit into the room just to guarantee that the bell will be rung.

Honestly? Just ignore everything, go behind the statues and then beeline for the fog door.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Is breaking all these headstones permanent? I’m doing a first run through this area so I’m being an item whore.

I also tried a deeper dive in the Sunken King DLC and I was getting hardcore owned. My poison arrow strat to defang a lot of encounters isn’t going to work.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Holy poo poo, I didn't realize you could break the poison spitting statues in Black gulch until I saw someone else do it in a video just now

:negative:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol wow. I broke every single one. But poison hasn’t bothered me since Bonfireside Chat taught me two basic life gems burn off the poison. The worst part of the statues is when they stagger you.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol wow. I broke every single one. But poison hasn’t bothered me since Bonfireside Chat taught me two basic life gems burn off the poison. The worst part of the statues is when they stagger you.

:argh::argh::argh: that happened to me so many times. that whole section pissed me off so bad because of the statues, holy poo poo. I even got stuck behind a line of them when I dropped down from this side cave and thought I was stuck until I managed to somehow jump/roll out of it :rant:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The random headstones all around in the Undead Crypt will return to normal because they're just clutter, but the ones that spawn the reaper dudes will stay broken.

That said, I think the spawn points for the reaper dudes in the run-up to the boss are inaccessible, so for those you just have to kill the three hollows that crawl out of the ground from beneath the stairs.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Somehow I hosed up Lucatiels quest. I summoned her for Flexile Sentry, Lost Sinner, and Smelter Demon. She wasn’t in the hut outside Aldias Keep. Is there some place I needed to talk to her after Smelter? I killed her brother in Aldias so I guess I blew my chance to fix it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Look Sir Droids posted:

Somehow I hosed up Lucatiels quest. I summoned her for Flexile Sentry, Lost Sinner, and Smelter Demon. She wasn’t in the hut outside Aldias Keep. Is there some place I needed to talk to her after Smelter? I killed her brother in Aldias so I guess I blew my chance to fix it.
She might be sulking in that dumb ditch in Black Gulch. Have you found that cave yet? It's off a quasi-blind drop (you can see the platform below juuust so with a Torch out) very soon after the first Bonfire.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yeah I always hosed that up because i never found that drop until like my fifth or sixth playthrough.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

She might be sulking in that dumb ditch in Black Gulch. Have you found that cave yet? It's off a quasi-blind drop (you can see the platform below juuust so with a Torch out) very soon after the first Bonfire.

Nope. Didn’t see her there. Am I boned bc I already killed her brother though?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

From what I recall, no, her brother invades regardless and you can still get her to show up at Aldia's.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It was Black Gulch. I had to wiki her location there. Then she showed up at Aldias for the completion. Thanks!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Aldias was a real letdown. It’s so empty. Even dropping the caged things doesn’t add much to it because you can just hide in a door to cheese all those things.

What are the items in the acid pit? Wikidot is my gold standard for Souls wikis, but it loving sucks for consistent Scholar updates.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Just take off your clothes and rings and hop in. It doesn’t do any damage to you. There’s a copy of soul geyser in there but iirc the rest is just meh souls/consumables.

And yes, Aldia’s is bad, short and boring.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
How do you get into the side room with all the mimics in aldia's keep? I managed to do it once but can't remember.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Invading in aldias is extremely cool and good though

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Rubellavator posted:

Invading in aldias is extremely cool and good though

I got invaded there because I spent a ton of time cleaning up my own mess. I just cowered by the bonfire and got stunlocked to death.

For the mimic room, light the four sconces and kill the phantoms that spawn in. Then go to the dragon skeleton.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, after ignoring it for three months, I finally finished Dark Souls 2 (and by that I mean that I beat Nashandra and Aldia; I haven't finished any of the DLC area, and don't really intend to at this time). It was...interesting?

I still stand by the notion that the areas and world design aren't as solid as DS1's, but I've come around on it a bit. DS1 was really cool because the world was built vertically, and it was neat how areas looped around on each other via shortcuts and different paths. DS2 isn't real consistent with that, but I'm glad that it's not just a copy of the same thing from DS1. A lot of areas like Majula and Dragon Aerie are really pretty and really nice to look at. This may sound odd, but I liked The Gutter, since it was a copy of Blighttown, but replacing sludge and ladders with darkness and...uh, ladders. It's one of the areas where I felt like it was vital to have a torch on hand most of the time, and that meant giving up the shield arm, so it made the area interesting. I wasn't really keen on the memories thing, though I thought it was a neat touch that you don't get actually get the fourth 'big' soul from defeating Freja, but by revisiting the area and visiting the dragon's memory.

However, some areas just sort of fall flat, or are more annoying than difficult. Undead Crypt was a pain with all the rocks you had to break, and the zombies that ring the bells that summon the ghosts. Harvest Valley also I remember being a pain because you had a bunch of items in the pits, but you had to worry about getting poisoned and the enemies trying to attack you. Black Gulch is tedious with how you have to destroy or dodge all those poison spitting statues. The thing that still gets me is how when you make it to Lost Bastille via the bird, the ledge to the rest of the level from that entrance you can just barely walk across.

In terms of bosses, it's also sort of hit-and-miss. A lot of the bosses seem pretty easy (not that I'm complaining about that). Only ones that I really remember having issues with off the top of my head were Smelter Demon and Royal Rat Authority. I died quite a few times to Vendrick, but that was more to do with getting careless and having forgotten to re-equip my rings. I had co-op help on the final bosses, but Throne duo don't seem like they're that threatening, Nashandra's biggest threat is her curse thing, and Aldia is more annoying than anything because of the fire effect that keeps you from staying in melee range.

Story and writing-wise...I don't know. I don't really care that much about Soulsborne lore (and if I'm being controversial, I don't think From really does either), but it just felt really uninteresting. The Emerald Herald and Aldia blather on about stuff, but it just kind of goes in one ear and out the other. I was a little soured on it going in because of how the witches in Things Betwixt beat you over the head about the whole 'you'll die and lose your souls thing'. Characters like Lucatiel and Benhart are interesting, but their storylines are based on whether you summon them for battle, and if they survive (which, depending on the boss, can be a crapshoot).

Where I think the game really shines over DS1 is in regards to what it does with combat/weapons/etc. Dual-wielding seems a lot more viable (even if never did that), and they tweaked Estus drinking so that you still have a little mobility when you activate it (whereas in DS1, you'd stop instantly). It seems like you could have a lot of fun trying out different builds and equipment setups (and I think this is the only game in the series where you can reset/reallocate your stats).

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Max Wilco posted:

Well, after ignoring it for three months, I finally finished Dark Souls 2 (and by that I mean that I beat Nashandra and Aldia; I haven't finished any of the DLC area, and don't really intend to at this time).
Snip

Play the DLC. They’re the best levels in DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yeah, the DLC have some bullshit enemies (looking at you, room full of soldiers and that lava shoulder guy from Iron King) but they're some of the best parts of Dark Souls 2.

And if you feel like bosses are too easy the DLC bosses will be happy to FUGS you up. (Even though IMO some of the bosses, like Elana and FartBoy, are a bit too hard for their own good.)