Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Silly Burrito posted:

Thinking of switching to Verizon, but looking at the prepaid options because I really don't use unlimited. At the most, we might use 5GB on my daughter's phone, and I use 2-3GB with my wife using 1-2GB. Hope you don't mind answering a couple of Qs.

1. Is the current 4 lines /$100 a great deal for them or pretty similar to previous options?

2. Does prepaid ever do deals with phones?

3. While I get that postpaid gets the best service, what about their prepaid service? Specifically, I want to ensure that the coverage you would get with postpaid in the boons is the same as you would get with prepaid. I'm not concerned with download speed, I just want my phones to work around my daughter's school where T-Mobile has a huge dead zone currently.

4. I use a T-Mobile booster in my house to get signal. Does Verizon offer the same or the ability to use wi-fi calling?

Thanks!
Keith

Verizon does have wifi calling for supported devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that you have to get the 256GB XS or XS Max for the BOGO promo.

This isn’t true. You can do it with the 64GB.

Goober Peas posted:

I'm not going to recommend an affiliate because Duckman is so helpful here.

Thank you sir.

Silly Burrito posted:

Thinking of switching to Verizon, but looking at the prepaid options because I really don't use unlimited. At the most, we might use 5GB on my daughter's phone, and I use 2-3GB with my wife using 1-2GB. Hope you don't mind answering a couple of Qs.

1. Is the current 4 lines /$100 a great deal for them or pretty similar to previous options?

2. Does prepaid ever do deals with phones?

3. While I get that postpaid gets the best service, what about their prepaid service? Specifically, I want to ensure that the coverage you would get with postpaid in the boons is the same as you would get with prepaid. I'm not concerned with download speed, I just want my phones to work around my daughter's school where T-Mobile has a huge dead zone currently.

4. I use a T-Mobile booster in my house to get signal. Does Verizon offer the same or the ability to use wi-fi calling?

Thanks!
Keith

1. The 4 lines thing is 3GB per line. So it depends on whether that works for you.

2. Very rarely, and usually the deals suck when they do.

3. Coverage should be the same. The customer service department is a bigger difference

4. Verizon offers boosters but not for prepaid. WiFi calling I believe works on prepaid.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Verizon does have wifi calling for supported devices.

Duckman2008 posted:

1. The 4 lines thing is 3GB per line. So it depends on whether that works for you.

2. Very rarely, and usually the deals suck when they do.

3. Coverage should be the same. The customer service department is a bigger difference

4. Verizon offers boosters but not for prepaid. WiFi calling I believe works on prepaid.

Thank you both. As for #1, I only need three phones at the moment and could work with 3GB, I would just need to put the fourth SIM in a closet somewhere until my son needs a phone, then he could have a free line.

What's the cheapest way to try the prepaid service without giving up my current numbers? Buy a cheap burner-type phone and pay for one month to test the coverage?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Thank you both. As for #1, I only need three phones at the moment and could work with 3GB, I would just need to put the fourth SIM in a closet somewhere until my son needs a phone, then he could have a free line.

What's the cheapest way to try the prepaid service without giving up my current numbers? Buy a cheap burner-type phone and pay for one month to test the coverage?

Is your current phone compatible with Verizon ? You could buy a month service with a number, turn on call forwarding to that number , pop SIM in phone.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Duckman2008 posted:

This isn’t true. You can do it with the 64GB.

Yeah I found this out. The 256gb thing only seems to be online?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

Yeah I found this out. The 256gb thing only seems to be online?

No idea, through all corp channels the BOGO just has to be iPhone 8 and up, and one line has to be a new line.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Is your current phone compatible with Verizon ? You could buy a month service with a number, turn on call forwarding to that number , pop SIM in phone.

Probably the best idea, thanks!

nerox
May 20, 2001
I ordered the iphone and apple watch through Verizon's website. I just got a call from my credit card that they declined the charge for the apple watch as possible fraud. Is Verizon going to cancel my order and send me to the back of the queue to reorder or will Verizon try to run the card again later?

Edit: Got an email to update my payment and everything looks to be good.

nerox fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 19, 2018

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004
What is a best way to activate a Galaxy S III? Reps wouldn't do it for me because it will stop working when they shutdown CDMA. I don't need it to work for more than a couple months. Customer care is mailing me a SIM card but claims I won't be able to activate with it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GamerMage posted:

What is a best way to activate a Galaxy S III? Reps wouldn't do it for me because it will stop working when they shutdown CDMA. I don't need it to work for more than a couple months. Customer care is mailing me a SIM card but claims I won't be able to activate with it.

I’ll keep it simple, you can’t activate this phone. Verizon set a hard stop on any phone that can’t do VOLTE aka HD voice, and that is def one of those phones. So unfortunately I would suggest getting a different phone.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll keep it simple, you can’t activate this phone. Verizon set a hard stop on any phone that can’t do VOLTE aka HD voice, and that is def one of those phones. So unfortunately I would suggest getting a different phone.

You could always try and lie to the rep, say its an iphone or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

You could always try and lie to the rep, say its an iphone or something.

And the system still won’t activate it. It’ll mandate HD Voice, which that phone doesn’t do, so it won’t work.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Hello DuckMan2008 can you help me out, I'm going to switch four lines from Sprint pretty soon, two at a time likely. I like to stack coupons- can I get a deal on an iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XS, (700?) and two BYO iPhones. I can trade in some phones (7 or 6s), get switch credit (150 per?), and get a retiree (?) DuPont employer (?) and or veteran discount (40 mo?) I mean really min-max the deals over here?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

strangehamster posted:

Hello DuckMan2008 can you help me out, I'm going to switch four lines from Sprint pretty soon, two at a time likely. I like to stack coupons- can I get a deal on an iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XS, (700?) and two BYO iPhones. I can trade in some phones (7 or 6s), get switch credit (150 per?), and get a retiree (?) DuPont employer (?) and or veteran discount (40 mo?) I mean really min-max the deals over here?

Yup, I can help with this.

You’re pretty on the ball, here’s how to stack the credits the best:

-BOGO for the two new phones ($700 credit).
-two $150 credits for BYOD devices
-whatever the trade in devices are, that does add to it as well.
-go with the Military discourse, $40 off the unlimited plans.

PM me for any further questions, and PM so I can send a referral code.

Supposedly they have it where I can officially process orders over the phone, but it hasn’t worked completely yet. I’m trying it again tomorrow. If it starts working, it’s possible I can just process what you are asking for you over the phone.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup, I can help with this.

You’re pretty on the ball, here’s how to stack the credits the best:

-BOGO for the two new phones ($700 credit).
-two $150 credits for BYOD devices
-whatever the trade in devices are, that does add to it as well.
-go with the Military discourse, $40 off the unlimited plans.

PM me for any further questions, and PM so I can send a referral code.

Supposedly they have it where I can officially process orders over the phone, but it hasn’t worked completely yet. I’m trying it again tomorrow. If it starts working, it’s possible I can just process what you are asking for you over the phone.

Yeah that's the stuff, check if your phone order system is straightened out and I'll bite. Can I start three lines (150 each?) than add a fourth (doesn't qualify for 150 but needed for iPhone "bogo?"

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Is there any way to get the bogo offer on existing lines without doing the cancel and add a new line mess? I have 6 lines and would gladly upgrade 4 of them, but it seems dumb to have to cancel two of them and resign up with a new number.

Is it possible to create the new line with the same number, or request a number change after the setup?

Any chance if i call and threaten to cancel all 4 lines?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

Is there any way to get the bogo offer on existing lines without doing the cancel and add a new line mess? I have 6 lines and would gladly upgrade 4 of them, but it seems dumb to have to cancel two of them and resign up with a new number.

Is it possible to create the new line with the same number, or request a number change after the setup?

Any chance if i call and threaten to cancel all 4 lines?

Verizon loyalty is (800) 392-0717 , it doesn’t hurt to call and ask. That being said, I would be surprised if they offered it.

The only way to keep the same number with the BOGO is to switch out the current number to google voice.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I've got an old more everything plan with a bunch of lines. These were set up back in their "edge" (I think?) program days, where the line cost got split more specifically into access charge and phone charge + data package. This month, Verizon seemingly randomly increased one line's access fee from $15 to $40. There haven't been any changes on this in quite a while, the line has been using a pixel 2 from google for more than a year and hasn't had a phone portion payment to Verizon since something like 2016.

I also have one other line that continues to get billed at $40 a month, it never dropped down in price despite the long, long paid off phone. I just never did anything about it. Who is best to ask about getting these charges reduced, and what should I say?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Duckman2008 posted:

And the system still won’t activate it. It’ll mandate HD Voice, which that phone doesn’t do, so it won’t work.

what would happen if i took the sim out of my iphone 7 and put it into a 5s? would it just not work now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I've got an old more everything plan with a bunch of lines. These were set up back in their "edge" (I think?) program days, where the line cost got split more specifically into access charge and phone charge + data package. This month, Verizon seemingly randomly increased one line's access fee from $15 to $40. There haven't been any changes on this in quite a while, the line has been using a pixel 2 from google for more than a year and hasn't had a phone portion payment to Verizon since something like 2016.

I also have one other line that continues to get billed at $40 a month, it never dropped down in price despite the long, long paid off phone. I just never did anything about it. Who is best to ask about getting these charges reduced, and what should I say?

Verizon has gotten pickier about lowering the lines from $40 to $15 (most for trying to move you to other plan reasons). Any line on $15 should stay, not sure why you are having that issue.

Stores can’t move plans to $15 anymore. Even manager codes don’t work. I believe care still can, but I have noticed it depends on who you get.

If you have any phones currently on payment plan, I do have a solution. Call in , request the payment plan to be moved to the $40 a month line , and it’ll auto discount because there’s a device payment on their line

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

sudo rm -rf posted:

what would happen if i took the sim out of my iphone 7 and put it into a 5s? would it just not work now?

For what it's worth, I did this last week when I swapped the sim from my Essential PH-1 to my old 5s. Zero issues.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Duckman2008 posted:

If you have any phones currently on payment plan, I do have a solution. Call in , request the payment plan to be moved to the $40 a month line , and it’ll auto discount because there’s a device payment on their line

I do have two phones finishing up payments in december- I guess I'm not sure what I'm asking though? Just attach the payment portion for x phone to y line? The payment liability just shifts to the $40 lines, the ones who have the discount now... Keep it? And the moved over payment causes a discount on the lines moved to? Awesome, if true!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I do have two phones finishing up payments in december- I guess I'm not sure what I'm asking though? Just attach the payment portion for x phone to y line? The payment liability just shifts to the $40 lines, the ones who have the discount now... Keep it? And the moved over payment causes a discount on the lines moved to? Awesome, if true!

Correct.

And FYI, I just had a 5S that i tried to activate today. No dice in the system. End of the day, if swapping the SIM card works, great, but Verizon is going to say “no we can’t activate that,” for phones that don’t do HD Voice, which in general is the iPhone 5S and down, and the Galaxy S4 and down.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Duckman2008 posted:

The only way to keep the same number with the BOGO is to switch out the current number to google voice.

That is loving dumb and whatever b-schooler came up with it should be hung from a cell tower.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

That is loving dumb and whatever b-schooler came up with it should be hung from a cell tower.

Extremely dumb. They should, at the least,
Offer like, buy one get on half off, or some kind of discount for current customers.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I'm considering at switching from ATT to Verizon when I get an iphone xs soon. I read up on Verizon's plans and all the good ones seem to be for multiple devices/lines. If I only need one device/line do I still have to get the 4 line family plan to get any reasonable amount of data? What plan will get me closest to $75 a month total (work pays for this)? Are there any deals for porting in from another carrier?

Will the dual sim functionality of the iphone xs work with verizon? Is Verizon still some different than rest of world technology stack that requires a unique phone model?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aquila posted:

I'm considering at switching from ATT to Verizon when I get an iphone xs soon. I read up on Verizon's plans and all the good ones seem to be for multiple devices/lines. If I only need one device/line do I still have to get the 4 line family plan to get any reasonable amount of data? What plan will get me closest to $75 a month total (work pays for this)? Are there any deals for porting in from another carrier?

Will the dual sim functionality of the iphone xs work with verizon? Is Verizon still some different than rest of world technology stack that requires a unique phone model?

One line unlimited data starts at $80 for unlimited, $75 if you do autopay. $10 more a month for prioritized data, hotspot and HD Video. That doesn’t include the phone.

Verizon has gotten better on moving closer to regular standards. Any iPhone bought from Verizon will also for sure work on other carriers.

Not quite sure yes on the dual SIM, but Verizon has stayed they will support it. Lord knows when.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a 10 year old AT&T with the grandfathered unlimited iPhone data plan. They seem to raise the price by $5 every year, so with my 20% employer discount (where I no longer work), my service is now $83/mo after taxes and fees.

I now work for the federal government so while talking with a coworker about getting the iPhone XS (installment plan), they mentioned they get equipment and service discounts. This seems to contradict what’s in the OP. Can anyone provide clarification?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a 10 year old AT&T with the grandfathered unlimited iPhone data plan. They seem to raise the price by $5 every year, so with my 20% employer discount (where I no longer work), my service is now $83/mo after taxes and fees.

I now work for the federal government so while talking with a coworker about getting the iPhone XS (installment plan), they mentioned they get equipment and service discounts. This seems to contradict what’s in the OP. Can anyone provide clarification?

You get discounts on the old, not unlimited plans. Not on the new unlimited plans. ATT is the same way (your plan is an exception).

So $83 after tax is still good. The equivalent at Verizon is the middle unlimited plan, which is $85 before tax if you do auto pay.

So it’s more whether you are happy with ATT or not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Updated the OP. Biggest change so everyone knows:

Unlocked iPhone 8 and up work on Verizon. originally they didn't, and i never updated the change. iPhone 7 and 7+ still only work if they're the Verizon/Sprint version.

Non HD Voice phones will not be activated on Verizon anymore. I posted a page ago or so the 5S may work, but it won't. So most phones 4+ years old are dead. If they are currently active, they work until Verizon actually turns off 2G.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

You get discounts on the old, not unlimited plans. Not on the new unlimited plans. ATT is the same way (your plan is an exception).

So $83 after tax is still good. The equivalent at Verizon is the middle unlimited plan, which is $85 before tax if you do auto pay.

So it’s more whether you are happy with ATT or not.
I’m seeing stuff about a 15% discount for government employees but maybe that only applies to the old plans?

And no discounts on phones regardless of whether I buy outright or do installment plans?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m seeing stuff about a 15% discount for government employees but maybe that only applies to the old plans?

And no discounts on phones regardless of whether I buy outright or do installment plans?

No discounts on unlimited, only old plans.

Verizon runs promos off and on. Right now it’s a BOGO for iPhones, or $300 trade in towards an android phone.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

It might just be 15% off the line access charges, that's what my employer discount is. Also 25% off accessories purchased online.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

baram. posted:

It might just be 15% off the line access charges, that's what my employer discount is. Also 25% off accessories purchased online.

Government discounts, in addition to any discount that is not specifically the military, don’t discount any of the current unlimited plans. They discount the base plan of most old plans.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So what you are saying is no discounts on unlimited plans :haw:

(if it makes you feel better I had this same conversation with a coworker today)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

So what you are saying is no discounts on unlimited plans :haw:

(if it makes you feel better I had this same conversation with a coworker today)

Lmao yes , that is what I am saying.

That being said, getting rid of work discounts was a dumb idea. If you don’t want to give most of your customers a $15-20 discount, water it down to $5 so they still “get something special” and call it a day, no one would notice.

In none consumer news, Verizon recently laid off a bunch of departments, and emailed (I assume as a mistake) the entire loving company about severance options. So queue what will probably be a week of “no really guys, this is fine.”

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Thanks for helping me out Duckman, I got phones today and the numbers are porting over.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

strangehamster posted:

Thanks for helping me out Duckman, I got phones today and the numbers are porting over.

Good to hear man, glad we were able to get it set!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to limit or cap data usage on single lines in a shared data plan, or is it an all or nothing prospect with Safety mode for limiting data use overages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Is there a way to limit or cap data usage on single lines in a shared data plan, or is it an all or nothing prospect with Safety mode for limiting data use overages?

$5 a month for family base (they renamed it but I'm blanking on the name). So either $5 or all or nothing unfortunately.