Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol wait so now I might get late night Trump tweets full of angst calling out celebs via amber alerts? lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Professor Bling posted:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/north-carolina-cops-complain-dollar-store-managers-ask-not-arrest-black-looters-hurricane/

Cops upset that they've been asked to leave people alone that are gathering needed supplies after two days without power

Because the cops want to arrest (possibly at least rough up) these people for the crime of trying not to starve in a hurricane

Or is this poo poo too "bad shoot" adjacent too?

Is it even looting if the managers say it's okay? Those pissbaby cops are whining about how they're not being allowed to beat up some poors doing things the store managers are giving the okay for.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Professor Bling posted:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/north-carolina-cops-complain-dollar-store-managers-ask-not-arrest-black-looters-hurricane/

Cops upset that they've been asked to leave people alone that are gathering needed supplies after two days without power

Because the cops want to arrest (possibly at least rough up) these people for the crime of trying not to starve in a hurricane

Or is this poo poo too "bad shoot" adjacent too?

Great, now they're putting people's lovely comments in the article so it's harder to avoid them.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Dum Cumpster posted:

Great, now they're putting people's lovely comments in the article so it's harder to avoid them.

Especially the dude saying that random people should just hang out by the store and start shooting people. Definitely something that should get signal boosted.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
A tweet about the status of the Boston gas explosions let some other information out because people still don't know how to screenshot properly.

quote:

At the height of Thursday night’s gas emergency that affected 8,000 people and in which one person was killed, Massachusetts state police posted to Twitter a map of responses to fires and explosions.

It was an image of a computer monitor, showing locations of 39 incidents as confirmed “by MSP Watch Center”, and it included a vital message: “Reminder: all residents of Lawrence/Andover/N[orth] Andover who have Columbia Gas must evacuate, as should anyone else who smells gas.”

But the image also showed something else: a bookmarks bar at the top of the browser window which listed several leftwing groups.

The bookmarks included a Facebook group for Mass Action Against Police Brutality (MAAPB); the Coalition to Organize and Mobilize Boston Against Trump (Combat); Facebook 413; Facebook MA Activism; and Resistance Calendar, which notes timings for canvassing for Democratic or progressive candidates and anti-Trump rallies.

The state police’s official Twitter account shared the image at 6.26pm. Less than half an hour later it deleted it and shared a new one, which had been cropped. But the first tweet had already drawn the attention of activists and reporters, who shared screenshots and began a social media debate about online police surveillance.

The MSP Watch Center is the information-gathering Commonwealth Fusion Center, formed in 2005 to facilitate the “collection, analysis and dissemination of intelligence relevant to terrorism and public safety”. There are more than 100 such centers nationwide.

The Massachusetts state police director of media communications, David Procopio, told the Guardian police have a “responsibility to know about all large public gatherings of any type and by any group, regardless of their purpose and position, for public safety reasons”.

He added: “We do not collect information about – nor, frankly, do we care about – any group’s beliefs or opinions.”

Sure you don't.
:downs:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

A tweet about the status of the Boston gas explosions let some other information out because people still don't know how to screenshot properly.

Sure you don't.
:downs:

First person I noticed noticing that was on these very forums but it's likely someone pointed it out on social networking. That said I can't exactly say I'm surprised.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gosh it's almost like the american institution of police is structured to be adversarial against anyone that isn't rich and white or serving their interests

i wonder if there's a simple phrase, maybe one with four words, that adequately describes police officers

Edit: oops I'm still discussing bad conduct by cops, drat, if only it weren't an extremely common current event

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Professor Bling posted:

gosh it's almost like the american institution of police is structured to be adversarial against anyone that isn't rich and white or serving their interests

i wonder if there's a simple phrase, maybe one with four words, that adequately describes police officers

Edit: oops I'm still discussing bad conduct by cops, drat, if only it weren't an extremely common current event

i really don't have any stake in this, but since you keep getting hit for it maybe you'd realise

or don't, i haven't chain probated anyone for a while

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1041105715182673921

Fucker picks a retired Marine General and is then surprised when he isn't a fanatical partisan

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

i really don't have any stake in this, but since you keep getting hit for it maybe you'd realise

or don't, i haven't chain probated anyone for a while

Just say "stop resisting!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Fucker picks a retired Marine General and is then surprised when he isn't a fanatical partisan
Well there's a better than average chance he could have gotten that. It's because he picked this particular retired general, probably based on memes, that he's unhappy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hurricane Flo update: Lights back on for everyone in my town, only place open is chinese buffet that's had no electricity for 30+hours and has been cited for walk-in temps on 10 prior occasions. Huge crowds. I am adapting my emergency plans and supplies for massive cholera/zombie virus outbreak.

As I type this mine went out for the first time for about 3 minutes.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Friend of mine changed her name on Facebook as she’s a reporter and apparently MPD was/is stalking journalists FB pages because why not. Also earlier this week I posted a status update basting a local car dealer chain for being shitheads (long, lemon law involving story) and somehow someone from the dealership saw my post (never tagged the dealer in the post) and had a friend of mine who works for a different brand dealership under the same owner call me to ask what it would take for me to remove my post. Big brother is real and he’s a ducking dick

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Friends, can I assume I have your support for the GRA?

https://twitter.com/Relentlessbored/status/1041141708694667264

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

crazyivan45 posted:

Friend of mine changed her name on Facebook as she’s a reporter and apparently MPD was/is stalking journalists FB pages because why not. Also earlier this week I posted a status update basting a local car dealer chain for being shitheads (long, lemon law involving story) and somehow someone from the dealership saw my post (never tagged the dealer in the post) and had a friend of mine who works for a different brand dealership under the same owner call me to ask what it would take for me to remove my post. Big brother is real and he’s a ducking dick

Are you in Memphis? For some reason, this would not surprise me, happening in Memphis.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Memphis indeed

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My goondolences. Can't say I miss the place. Still get the occasional Memphis story in my news feed. Looking more like Florida every day.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hell yes

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Eh, I like it here. Been here 9 years. It’s grown up a lot. I like living in a 3rd world city without having to leave the convenience of the US.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lived there from '10-'15 before escaping back to the 'Boro. It's not for everyone, you, shim and my exwife can have it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm still amazed that Trump's worm-infested brain managed to nominate a responsible adult as SecDef, let alone someone as qualified and dutiful as Mattis.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Speaking of, I don’t have the ability to DM people. Shim: you wanna meet up for a bowl or beer one night?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I suck and don't do drugs other than booze, but there are two people I'd def smoke a bowl with. One is Snoop Dogg, the other is Shim.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm still amazed that Trump's worm-infested brain managed to nominate a responsible adult as SecDef, let alone someone as qualified and dutiful as Mattis.
Like I said It's because of memes. We're just lucky they didn't happen to be about a crazy person.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
So how did he get nicknames like "Chaos" and "Mad Dog?" Everything I've read make it sound like he's anything but.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DKD posted:

So how did he get nicknames like "Chaos" and "Mad Dog?" Everything I've read make it sound like he's anything but.

Same reason you call the biggest guy "Tiny" and the fattest due "Slim".

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

DKD posted:

Chaos was his callsign during the invasion

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
(Then) "colonel has an outstanding solution."

"Mad dog" was a media creation after his quotes about killing people made the news.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DKD posted:

Mad dog was a reporter just pulling a nickname out of his/her rear end, possibly in reaction to some of Mattis' more oorah quotes.
Chaos was the callsign he adopted after someone in his 3 shop wrote it about him, explaining that it meant (that the) Colonel Has An Outstanding Solution

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

crazyivan45 posted:

Speaking of, I don’t have the ability to DM people. Shim: you wanna meet up for a bowl or beer one night?

I think he's on vacation, in the event you don't hear from him shortly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Casimir Radon posted:

Like I said It's because of memes. We're just lucky they didn't happen to be about a crazy person.

Yeah, I strongly concur. It's still amazing tho just because it was a one in a billion chance that Two Scoops could manage that kind of appointment even by accident.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

crazyivan45 posted:

Memphis indeed

Hey there fellow Memphrikan! Where about in the city are you? I’m in Germantown, bought a house there a few years ago after retiring from the AF. You were AF too weren’t you?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

crazyivan45 posted:

Oh hell yes. I’m on vacation right now but I’ll hit you up when I’m back home.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I mean Kelly is a retired Marine general, and he's a cowardly racist bootlicker. If the memes had been about him he might be SECDEF.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

honestly yeah that is kind of surprising

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Subtext becoming text, &c. &c. &c.

What in the literal goddamn gently caress?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Schadenboner posted:

Subtext becoming text, &c. &c. &c.

What in the literal goddamn gently caress?

Entirely expected?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

M_Gargantua posted:

Entirely expected?

I'll be honest, I grew up back when the GOP hid it's racism under a bushel basket and people on my side had to do work to convince people of what they were actually saying. And northern GOPs usually hid it best of all.

Now they've upended the basket, stood on top of it, and are holding their candle up shouting "gently caress THE BROWNS, gently caress THE BLACKS" :fsmug:.

It never ceases to amaze me how we've become this place and how quickly it seems to have happened.

And what's worse is my assumption was always that they did the light-hiding because they knew that, while most people were maybe not racially great, they were very much better than this.

And it now appears I was wrong.

:sherman:

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

As a fat northerner who adores Memphis soul, what should I see beyond the Stax museum and the National Civil Rights Museum? Where should I feed my fat rear end? What else is of interest in Memphis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Best Friends posted:

honestly yeah that is kind of surprising

• Locked thread