Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Nitrox posted:

I actually do see loads of weird poo poo on the road, but somehow haven't figured out how to use the quick save function on my camera. Have a dude taking a beating from a ladyfriend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue24ic6RdGc

If it has the crash detection, you can just slap the camera to jar it into saving the file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Speaking of weird poo poo, I did not have my dashcam in the day I was driving up I-95 and saw a car pulled over to the side of the freeway. As I came up on it, the door open, a man stepped one foot out, and an amazing parabolic arc of vomit shot out of his mouth. My biggest dashcam regret.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7Ypfs7RAM

It's a 'Best of'! In Russia they have dashcams because everyone is an insurance scammer. In Australia it's because we know everyone on the road is a drongo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cartoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7Ypfs7RAM

It's a 'Best of'! In Russia they have dashcams because everyone is an insurance scammer. In Australia it's because we know everyone on the road is a drongo.

Tradies Utes are the true enemy on the roads

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Are fuse taps sincerely the best way to power dash cams like this Thinkware F800 I picked up for my Mazda3? I'm new to dash cams and car electrical systems in general and so I was talked out of using them while seeking some hard-wiring advice from my dad. He insists my car should have "bodybuilder power points" just like the fleet trucks he used to repair and that I should seek those out as power sources instead of overloading fuse plugs.

So now I don't know which way is up. 99% of search results (videos, forum posts, reddit, etc...) that come up for "dash cam hardwire" use fuse taps - I have yet to find any guides suggesting alternative sources of power. And when I search for "bodybuilder power point" nothing relevant comes up unless I target the search for large trucks.

Maybe it was the fact that the fuse taps that came with the set I bought are rated 15A? After some further research it seems like it might be a bad idea to tap a 15A spot with two 15A fuses as it'd mean potentially 30A running through a plug rated for 15A? I can't find the exact amp draw of the F800 (just the 12/24VDC rating from the OEM cigarette lighter power cable), but for dash cams it seems 5A fuses should be adequate.

Just to clarify, the fusebox plugs I'm looking to use are both 15A and are marked as for the front and rear "accessory slots" (probably the two sets of USB ports the car has). I've confirmed that one always receives power, and the other only receives power when the car is turned on. These are required according to the hardwire kit that has a wire for "battery" and one for "acc" to support parking mode.

I checked the current draw for my Mobius (only relevant in that it has no screen) and a cheap Amazon 12V-5V adapter made for hardwiring car accessories with a bench power supply at 12V and a cheapie ammeter and it was ~0.2A on the 12V side. Likely you can put a 1A fuse in it for almost any single dash camera. .5A was the smallest I could find in blade fuses, but the rear camera has exactly a .2A fuse and hasn't ever blown one. I was also able to look up what each circuit was rated for on my VW versus the fuse in it so I didn't melt part of the fusebox like whoever originally owned my Prelude. There were circuits rated at 30A with 15A fuses on their loads but of course I went with the accessory jack fuse. The closest thing to those bodybuilder type connections in my car is a set of terminals distributing power to the various fuse sub-boxes but then you've got to run through the firewall and gently caress doing that for less than 1A.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Major Isoor posted:

hahaha I love how the other driver just keeps trying to push/shoulder through, after hitting you. And then giving you those wild gestures, afterwards! :D
What an idiot - did he really think he was in the right, shooting out across your lane without a care in the world? If you don't mind me asking, what was he saying/yelling? I hope he wasn't being abusive, after knocking that $27,000 bit of plastic off your car!

he was a little upset at first but he was pretty calm once we actually parked and started to sort things out. i was a little worried when his only ID was a foreign passport, but he was insured and the policy was current so it paid for everything.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fknlo posted:

I scratched the Exige as a possible fun car because of the clamshells.

Both wrecks I've been in have been similar to this with cars turning into me across a stopped turn lane when they couldn't see oncoming traffic in the other lane(s). Except I was doing 30ish+ when I hit my folks. I'm obviously not a fan of obstructed view turn lanes any more.

this was my third front clam. as long as you are insured it will get repaired. the first two times my car was hit by someone while parked.

i just took it into the body shop this week to get an estimate for having a scratch on the rear left corner re-painted and, while I was sitting in the parking lot, a guy who worked at the shop who was moving around cars hit my car from behind and broke both clams by pushing the front of my car into another car (I hadn't put the parking brake on yet and I was pretty easy to move).

so I guess now it's gonna get a 4th front clam and a 2nd rear clam.

it's a really fun car but it's not easy to fix. the lead time on parts is usually "we only do one run of <part> a year and we can ship it to you in six months" so right now I am just driving it around with both clams busted waiting for parts to arrive over the next couple months.

I think I will probably take the current clams and try to get a fiberglass guy to repair them, then just put them in storage. I did the math and I can pay someone to $2000 to repair them, then keep them in storage for 6 years and that'd be cheaper than buying a new one from lotus.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Oddhair posted:

I checked the current draw for my Mobius (only relevant in that it has no screen) and a cheap Amazon 12V-5V adapter made for hardwiring car accessories with a bench power supply at 12V and a cheapie ammeter and it was ~0.2A on the 12V side. Likely you can put a 1A fuse in it for almost any single dash camera. .5A was the smallest I could find in blade fuses, but the rear camera has exactly a .2A fuse and hasn't ever blown one. I was also able to look up what each circuit was rated for on my VW versus the fuse in it so I didn't melt part of the fusebox like whoever originally owned my Prelude. There were circuits rated at 30A with 15A fuses on their loads but of course I went with the accessory jack fuse. The closest thing to those bodybuilder type connections in my car is a set of terminals distributing power to the various fuse sub-boxes but then you've got to run through the firewall and gently caress doing that for less than 1A.
Thanks for going through all that to provide some numbers for context. After I initially posted I managed to find a wattage rating for the dual-camera Thinkware setup. At 4.2W max draw, the amperage came out to something similar, around 0.35A lol.

Based on all this feedback, I figure there's zero issue to try and do anything but use the taps. I picked up some 5A fuses anyway and won't sweat this anymore.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IAmKale posted:

Thanks for going through all that to provide some numbers for context. After I initially posted I managed to find a wattage rating for the dual-camera Thinkware setup. At 4.2W max draw, the amperage came out to something similar, around 0.35A lol.

Based on all this feedback, I figure there's zero issue to try and do anything but use the taps. I picked up some 5A fuses anyway and won't sweat this anymore.

Yeah it's fine, my dimming rear-view mirror uses wire taps, straight from Mazda themselves.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Any front/rear dashcam recommendations for a classic convertible? I want it to be a semi-permanent install, so I don't have to worry about it getting stolen, and I'd really prefer to not replace the rearview mirror, since it's a "rare" mirror with map lights. The top stays down as often as the weather will let me, and both the hard/soft tops are a little leaky, so waterproofing would be a huge bonus

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I wonder if something set up for a motorcycle would be more up your alley - was curious myself, and this is what popped up on my 1st search

http://a.co/d/b27bMkw

Not sure how long the cables would be, but you might pop one camera on the dashboard and another on the back bumper since you won't have any rear glass for a suction mount.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

NoWake posted:

I wonder if something set up for a motorcycle would be more up your alley - was curious myself, and this is what popped up on my 1st search

http://a.co/d/b27bMkw

Not sure how long the cables would be, but you might pop one camera on the dashboard and another on the back bumper since you won't have any rear glass for a suction mount.

That's exactly what I had in mind! I didn't even think to look at motorcycle cams. The cables look like they might be long enough too

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've been looking at getting a new (used) car, but almost everything I see has always-on 12V power plugs and I don't want my dashcam to run 24/7 when the car is turned off and I forget to manually turn it on/off.

This might be more a car audio question, but has anyone had any experience with using the USB port on aftermarket radios to power a dash cam (presumably, they'd shut off when the car was stopped.) I think I can get around the USB/Dashcam having the problem of possibly treating the dashcam as a media storage device if I used a 'power only/no-data' USB cable.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've been looking at getting a new (used) car, but almost everything I see has always-on 12V power plugs and I don't want my dashcam to run 24/7 when the car is turned off and I forget to manually turn it on/off.

This might be more a car audio question, but has anyone had any experience with using the USB port on aftermarket radios to power a dash cam (presumably, they'd shut off when the car was stopped.) I think I can get around the USB/Dashcam having the problem of possibly treating the dashcam as a media storage device if I used a 'power only/no-data' USB cable.

sharkytm posted:

Just put an Add-A-Fuse in on an ignition-switched fuse, and run the wire. It's relatively easy, safe, and removable.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

You don’t want it hard wired? My cam is hard wired to an always-on connection because I do want it to run when the car is off (I just have to remember to turn it off when I pull into the garage), but my Valentine One is wired into a switched power source so it shuts off when the car does.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm only ever really interested in recording while I'm driving and I really didn't want to mess around with doing anything with the fuse stuff. I figured a radio with a phone charging capable USB port would be a possible solution since I was going to probably replace the radio, eventually, with something cheap but with some more features.

But if I'm eventually going to end up putting in a good enough radio, I should want constant recording, too. It's like the Gift of the Magi or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If you're replacing the radio, adding a dash cam into an on-only circuit is trivial (twist the power wire into the radio power wire when you install the radio), and even easier again if you use a fuse tap/add a circuit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Laserface posted:

(twist the power wire into the radio power wire when you install the radio),

Please don't, instead try the novel idea of making a safe secure connection by any of a dozen other methods instead?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Please don't, instead try the novel idea of making a safe secure connection by any of a dozen other methods instead?

I solder and heat shrink. OP is somehow simultaneously against using a fuse tap but also totally OK installing an aftermarket radio.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J0BIb1N06g

This is not the first time I've seen people completely blow the light here. The guy seemed legitimately confused about what happened when I drove by.

It appears my Mobius has forgotten what time it is again.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'm also amused by the white SUV trying to crowd out the inside right turn lane. 3 way intersections and double right turn lanes are a grand mystery.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

devicenull posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J0BIb1N06g

This is not the first time I've seen people completely blow the light here. The guy seemed legitimately confused about what happened when I drove by.

It appears my Mobius has forgotten what time it is again.

This is the most boring dash cam video I have ever watched.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
You must’ve missed the one I posted of a mustang blocking an intersection for a complete cycle. That one was boring.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can usually tell when someone in this thread is from a small town because they post videos like "oh wow, look at this moron on the road!!" and it's something that you see twenty times on any given trip in a big city, like that crappy merge

In San Francisco people probably wouldn't even honk at that

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Ya, living in a shithole really desensitized me to bad driving. Unless I think I'm gonna die, I don't usually bother hitting the horn. Especially like the above video where the driver didn't even have to brake or make an evasive move.
The one that really pisses me off, however, is people on their loving phones loving sitting at green loving lights. For whatever reason, that one makes me irrationally angry.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You guys will love my montage of people just stopped in merge lanes for no reason whatsoever while I impotently scream at them.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
In houston i have seen on multiple occasions people trying to BACK UP the off ramp and get back on I-10 after taking the wrong exit.

Houston is a special place.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

chrisgt posted:

Ya, living in a shithole really desensitized me to bad driving. Unless I think I'm gonna die, I don't usually bother hitting the horn. Especially like the above video where the driver didn't even have to brake or make an evasive move.
The one that really pisses me off, however, is people on their loving phones loving sitting at green loving lights. For whatever reason, that one makes me irrationally angry.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, driving through extremely wealthy areas where people in performance/luxury cars drive 10 under the limit and pretend that they are the only person on the road really keeps your eyes on your mirrors and both hands firmly on the wheel. Those people don't even register car horns, and you never know when a Porsche Carrera will drop to 5mph for an unsignaled right turn across 2 lanes on a 50mph road

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The thing that makes me the most irrationally angry is when, as I'm changing lanes, I put on my turn signal, wait for an opening, check my blind spot, slide over into the space, and get immediately honked at by the person I moved in front of because they weren't paying any attention to the road or my signal and they think I cut them off. Or alternately they saw the signal just fine, and were accelerating to try it and close the gap specifically so I can't take it. Either way, the sheer audacity of the pricks who do that just drives me insane

It's nearly always someone in a BMW or Lexus SUV, for some reason

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

In houston i have seen on multiple occasions people trying to BACK UP the off ramp and get back on I-10 after taking the wrong exit.

Houston is a special place.

Ok this is pretty stupid regardless, but don't you guys have frontage roads basically everywhere alongside I-10 where someone who got off at the wrong one could just go a block or two and get right back on?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

The thing that makes me the most irrationally angry is when, as I'm changing lanes, I put on my turn signal, wait for an opening, check my blind spot, slide over into the space, and get immediately honked at by the person I moved in front of because they weren't paying any attention to the road or my signal and they think I cut them off. Or alternately they saw the signal just fine, and were accelerating to try it and close the gap specifically so I can't take it. Either way, the sheer audacity of the pricks who do that just drives me insane

Part of why I got a rear camera system. They don't do the accelerate to not let you merge / change lanes too much here in Seattle but it does happen.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, driving through extremely wealthy areas where people in performance/luxury cars drive 10 under the limit and pretend that they are the only person on the road really keeps your eyes on your mirrors and both hands firmly on the wheel. Those people don't even register car horns, and you never know when a Porsche Carrera will drop to 5mph for an unsignaled right turn across 2 lanes on a 50mph road

NaplesFlorida.mp4 OntarioPlates.jpg

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Sagebrush posted:

Sounds like driving in Massachusetts. The trick is to start merging, THEN turn on your blinker (if you even bother at all). Then they can't do that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Same for freeway traffic in AZ. Wait for a gap, then signal and go for it at the same time.

Yet on surface streets people will literally stop to let you in.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

wolrah posted:

Ok this is pretty stupid regardless, but don't you guys have frontage roads basically everywhere alongside I-10 where someone who got off at the wrong one could just go a block or two and get right back on?

Usually you have to stop at 1 light max before you could get back on. This was I-10 around Katy.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I finally made some progress on my dashcam install, but unfortunately I ran into a fuse tap issue. I need to install two fuse taps, one that's always on and another that receives power when the car is on. I've tapped one that's always on, but have run into an issue adding the other one.

For reference, here's the interior fuse box of my Mazda3:

I want to tap 11, which is currently empty and marked "Accessory sockets", but power on that terminal comes in on the right rail. This would mean I'd have to install the fuse tap upside down, so that the pigtail goes to the left. Unfortunately that lower part of the fuse box (9-11) is butted up against the railing the fuse box is mounted to. The fuse tap pigtail can't bend enough to accommodate it. What are my options?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That can't be the only switched-hot circuit in that box, can it? Are any of the other positions blocked by the mount?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

That can't be the only switched-hot circuit in that box, can it? Are any of the other positions blocked by the mount?
That’s the problem, from what I can tell the fuse box seems to be divided into always-hot on top, up until 7 or 8, and the bottom three or four are switched-hot. 12 is a 7.5A for airbags, 13-15 aren’t available as terminals.

Is it a bad idea to tap into 20A or 25A fuses for things like seat warmers and driver side seat adjustment? If I found one switched-hot in that upper half, I think it’d be one of the higher-amperage terminals.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

My tap came with two fuse slots, one for the original load and one for the added load, and they were pretty clear it's important to check whether you had it in backwards as it could leave your added load always on as long as one of the two fuses was installed and not blown. It's not typical I don't believe for the hot side to flop though I am no expert. If you pull the fuse and check between the right terminal and body ground do you find ~12V? If you were testing with one fuse installed then it may in fact be that they're flopped/your tap was "backwards" but it's hard to describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IAmKale posted:

That’s the problem, from what I can tell the fuse box seems to be divided into always-hot on top, up until 7 or 8, and the bottom three or four are switched-hot. 12 is a 7.5A for airbags, 13-15 aren’t available as terminals.

Is it a bad idea to tap into 20A or 25A fuses for things like seat warmers and driver side seat adjustment? If I found one switched-hot in that upper half, I think it’d be one of the higher-amperage terminals.

No, as long as you install the tap the correct direction, it doesn't matter what the original circuit was rated for. The supply side of the fuse (the one connected upstream to the switched +12V) is going to be a big bus bar through the whole fuse block. The wiring feeding whatever device you're talking about (i.e. seatwarmer) doesn't see any extra load.

On top of that, a dashcam is negligible load as far as a car is concerned.

Oddhair posted:

My tap came with two fuse slots, one for the original load and one for the added load, and they were pretty clear it's important to check whether you had it in backwards as it could leave your added load always on as long as one of the two fuses was installed and not blown. It's not typical I don't believe for the hot side to flop though I am no expert. If you pull the fuse and check between the right terminal and body ground do you find ~12V? If you were testing with one fuse installed then it may in fact be that they're flopped/your tap was "backwards" but it's hard to describe.

This is a valid concern but only sort of. Backwards means the dash cam load is added to the fuse of the tapped circuit, but no further.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 18, 2018