Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm so loving sad they don't do carboys anymore. To hell with all the drama, I want my free internet lols.

Yeah, that McElroy/Robinson-alchemy isn't coming back.

There a good backlog of the CoolGames Inc-podcast if you haven't listened to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
sounds like someone's ready to rise up

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Guy Mann posted:

2008: Spore launches with all the features it promised and gamers revolt because it's not as fun as they imagined it would be. Will Wright goes into hiding after a gamer fatwah is issued on him and Maxis is eventually quietly shut down
2018: No Man's Sky is hailed as a triumph because two years after launching at $60, missing most of the features the creator actively lied about on national television and online until after launch, and selling millions of copies they made a big show of finally patching some of those missing features into the game. Hello Games is showered in accolades for having the bravery to stand up to Gamer Entitlement and its wealthy Australian gold mine heir and founder Sean Murray is hailed as an indie darling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Скрэлнык

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What they promised was that you could build your own procedurally generated species. Like, making the arms longer would give advantages for species which evolved to use spears. Shorter, thicker arms would be good for heavier weapons. The bodies had an underlying skeletal structure and modifying it took 'evolution points' but their in-game effects would be decided solely on how well you built your creature to interact with its world.

Infinite variation :allears:

What we got was "Claw type C, + 3 points damage" and it didn't matter where you put it. You could put it on the end of an arm, or stick it under their body, it would still do 3 points of damage. No more, no less.

The cities you built were also supposed to the on the same lines. You could literally spend hours designing the different types of buildings, painting them, adding decoration. Same with the vehicles.

But none of that altered their functions at all. And you spent the actual game zoomed so far out, all your buildings and vehicles were nothing more than dots.

Your choice of buildings was supposed to matter, too. In each city you could only have so many buildings. So you were supposed to try and balance economic, power, science, etc. But, because all the stats were locked in, it took about two days before the perfect min-max configuration was worked out and you just put that in every city.

What we were promised was a game where everything mattered. What we got was a game where it was all window dressing, no subtlety and, in the end, no point.

In the tribe stage you could either murder other tribes or befriend them. Cool. But when you advance to the city stage every other sapient species is gone. Genocide happens no matter how friendly and pacifistic you were. :(

I also wasn't thrilled that your cell stage accomplishments didn't really matter. At no stage do your previous decisions really lock you into anything. You may have ended the cell stage with a murderous bulldog looking thing with six limbs and crab claws, but it's no problem to design your animal form as a gangly giraffe quadruped with tree frog fingers. You have points to spend and can spend them on whatever.

Honestly I think it would go over better now than it did at the time. It doesn't compare well to PC games or even console games, but with a little tweaking it could be top notch phone app. Real easy to pick up and put down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

I also wasn't thrilled that your cell stage accomplishments didn't really matter. At no stage do your previous decisions really lock you into anything. You may have ended the cell stage with a murderous bulldog looking thing with six limbs and crab claws, but it's no problem to design your animal form as a gangly giraffe quadruped with tree frog fingers. You have points to spend and can spend them on whatever.

Yeah, this is what really disappointed me about Spore. I had this idea in my head that it would work like, you know, evolution -- your critter evolves slowly to fit a niche, and maybe that niche eventually disappears or changes and the species adapts, but you can't just go back and rewrite all the early traits. You have to make do with what you have and change it slowly to fit as best you can.

Like, for instance, when your creature comes out of the ocean you shouldn't be able to just totally redesign it. Maybe you can only change one or two parts, or move a couple of parts not more than 10% of the way along the creature's body. So you do your best to make your aquatic critter suitable for land, but all you can do is change two fins into claws and slide them towards the bottom of the body, and for the first several cycles it's like a crustacean that just flops along the beach until it evolves a better walk. You might even end up with real-life vestigial quirks like the recurrent laryngeal nerve -- maybe you don't need that extra set of flippers on the belly, but they aren't hurting you and it's more important to evolve legs that can jump, so you just leave them there well past the time when they're useful, and they just become part of the shape of the creature despite there being no intentional reason for it.

I dunno. Maybe the tech wasn't there in the early 2000s but man, it really was a letdown.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The one good part of spore was that other players creatures would be in your world and, during the creature stage, some rare creatures would be super sized to be some big threat so occasionally you'd run across this massive penis just strolling around.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Garrand posted:

The one good part of spore was that other players creatures would be in your world and, during the creature stage, some rare creatures would be super sized to be some big threat so occasionally you'd run across this massive penis just strolling around.

you should have turned on your monitor

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yo these Spore memes are loving dank as gently caress, gamer hell yeah.

https://i.imgur.com/6WKTHuT.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/RHBGqbn.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/tKezQ2u.gifv

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Maybe step away from the computer for a bit.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
PYF Macros & Memes Part 6: I shidded and farded and came in my pants

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kun on tätä kamaa rööreissä, edes supernova ei pelota.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

nice meltdown

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
nice meltdown

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

melt nicedown

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, I think I see where I went wrong last time. Let’s try this again.

I’m very sorry someone said a game you like was bad.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

:hmmyes: :golfclap: This guy gets it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

no mad guy

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Yo these Spore memes are loving dank as gently caress, gamer hell yeah.

https://i.imgur.com/6WKTHuT.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/RHBGqbn.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/tKezQ2u.gifv

Say what you want but I'm all here for these salty memes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
PYF Macros & Memes Part 5: Video game meltdowns

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Holy poo poo shut up you salty loving videogame nerds. Overhyped game happened, news at loving 11. Get on with your lives, like everyone else did.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Oftentimes, it's harder on the manchild

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I shidded and farded and camed ~my pants~

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Personally I'm still pissed about Starbound.

One of those games that actually got worse as they technically delivered all the promised content and probably woulda been better off releasing the alpha as it was.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

But No Man’s Sky on the Xbox is...good?
:thunk:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah Ok

Game devs should probably not lie or overhype their game

but on the other hand, how can "gamers" be so gullible as to believe every outlandish promise ever from what is just a salesman? They'll preorder and poo poo, based on what some rear end in a top hat salesman says on their screen, instead of just looking at the videos of the game or waiting one day after release to see if the insanely wild claims are true or not

what im saying is people are dumb as poo poo as consumers

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What's with this dogpile? That was a very mild rant even by this thread's standards and those memes are good poo poo imo

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Yeah Ok

Game devs should probably not lie or overhype their game

but on the other hand, how can "gamers" be so gullible as to believe every outlandish promise ever from what is just a salesman? They'll preorder and poo poo, based on what some rear end in a top hat salesman says on their screen, instead of just looking at the videos of the game or waiting one day after release to see if the insanely wild claims are true or not

what im saying is people are dumb as poo poo as consumers

You do realize most "gamers" are children?

Do you also victim blame your grandma when she buys itunes giftcards to pay her tax to the "government"?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

For as long as I can remember (so, since the late 80s), every study has shown this to be categorically untrue.

e: If we're talking about actual age.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fried Watermelon posted:

average age of gamers is a lot higher than you'd think

quote:

The average age of all video game players in our sample this year is 34, up from 33 in our 2016 report and an increase of 10 years over our first report in 2005

You're probably right about the outright majority of gamers being children, but the studies don't discriminate between 5 year olds and 17 year olds, which is a bit disingenuous.

Memento has a new favorite as of 11:18 on Sep 16, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

You're probably right about the outright majority of gamers being children

He's not.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lets just get it straight that the devs of No Man's Sky outright lied about, or at least failed to deliver on, a lot of their key selling points for the game. People who preorder games are dumb for sure and anyone who believed NMS was going to be much more than it ended up being was naive, but the main dude is pretty lucky he wasn't sued for false advertising at the very least.

If I commission a website with XYZ features but get a barely touched up WordPress template I'm gonna be rightly pissed. It's pretty akin to that imo.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Sep 16, 2018

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Why is the meme thread being derailed by a bunch of butthurting from, what, 4 years ago?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, that article presumably refers to "people who regularly play video games," while standard internet lingo is "people whose personal identity is tied up in the media they consume." The former are pretty normal folks from all walks of life, while the latter are, frequetly, entitled (man)children. Both statements can be correct depending on context.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

Lets just get it straight that the devs of No Man's Sky outright lied about, or at least failed to deliver on, a lot of their key selling points for the game. People who preorder games are dumb for sure and anyone who believed NMS was going to be much more than it ended up being was naive, but the main dude is pretty lucky he wasn't sure for false advertising at the very least.

If I commission a website with XYZ features but get a barely touched up WordPress template I'm gonna be rightly pissed. It's pretty akin to that imo.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, that article presumably refers to "people who regularly play video games," while standard internet lingo is "people whose personal identity is tied up in the media they consume." The former are pretty normal folks from all walks of life, while the latter are, frequetly, entitled (man)children. Both statements can be correct depending on context.

I'm a tv watcher. Tv watchers rise up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Karate Bastard posted:

I shidded and farded and camed ~my pants~