Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is there a Duel Links thread?

I have a shitload of card tickets and dunno what I'm supposed to be using them on.

There's a general Yugioh thread over in Traditional Games that's used for Duel Links some.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827699

It's kind of dead though, so you might want to check out the Discord? I think we have some Duel Links players in there still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'd be interested in a Duel Links thread for sure.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, have we actually seen a single duel in the real world so far or does it all happen in Link VRAINS?

There was one in Soulburner's flashback episode two weeks ago.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hjalmar posted:

I'd be interested in a Duel Links thread for sure.

I was gonna ask about this because I'm trying to perfect my Grass Looks Greener Gem KNight deck

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Can I play Monarchs again?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Monarch cards are in the game but like a lot of popular archetypes Konami scattered them around boxes, and it's missing key cards that made it good in the real game. They don't even have Mobius.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Arc-V kinda killed my passion for this series by sucking so much, is VRAINS any good?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

Arc-V kinda killed my passion for this series by sucking so much, is VRAINS any good?

It's not. It's pretty bad.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vandar posted:

It's not. It's pretty bad.

So I guess by the ZEXAL formula, it's gonna get really good in the second half? And then the next one will be really good for 75 episodes and then fall off a loving cliff. Because that's the only two ways a Yu-Gi-Oh can go.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

VJeff posted:

So I guess by the ZEXAL formula, it's gonna get really good in the second half? And then the next one will be really good for 75 episodes and then fall off a loving cliff. Because that's the only two ways a Yu-Gi-Oh can go.

Did Zexal have a glacial moving plot interspersed with cute character moments in the first half?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did Zexal have a glacial moving plot interspersed with cute character moments in the first half?

Zexal was a complete trainwreck from start to finish. Fun duels, though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I mean I didn't watch it all cause I was really bored with it but people tell me it gets really good in the second half.

But yeah it's super loving slow in the first half.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VJeff posted:

I mean I didn't watch it all cause I was really bored with it but people tell me it gets really good in the second half.

As someone who watched it fairly recently, I can confidently say that it does not.

E: I like VRAINS. :shrug: It has too many recaps and they need to build out Takeru's deck more, but for the most part it's fine. My biggest issue with it (recaps aside) is that Yusaku didn't bring in Go and Aoi after the first part ended.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 16, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Zexal is....not great all the way around. As for VRAINS, I like some of the characters and the plot is somewhat interesting (though you could literally replace all the card games with actual combat and not much about the story would actually change) but I can't really call it a "good" show per se.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I finally got around to finishing Arc-V. Boy that fizzled out around the Zexal world but I liked the ending and the returning crew from GX land. Resistance Murder Duelist Asuka was rad (and that new cyber angel was Bullshit. I love it) And Edo still being a huge poo poo head was fun.

The final boss duel dragged on but it had some real fun moments. Fusion Yuya's perpetual creepiness/horny for murder style was fun to see people react to.

Now to roll back and start Zexal I guess.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I remembered yu gi oh when i was a wee kid. I had major nostalgia for the show. watching it now...eeeee. gx was the second series watch and it was fine i guess? the msot membrolable parts were that duel with the sandwich stealing guy and maybe the one with the flip ton of shipping (ya know with a romance themed deck). 5ds eng intro was cool but i barely cared for the show. zexal i barely watched and could not bare. arc-v, idk about that but i did like the main character.

watched the 4 english episodes of vrains and....it's alright i guess? though that data storm rear end pull pissed me off .

honestly i fell out of love with the series for awhile but i had some good memories with it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fruity20 posted:

I remembered yu gi oh when i was a wee kid. I had major nostalgia for the show. watching it now...eeeee. gx was the second series watch and it was fine i guess? the msot membrolable parts were that duel with the sandwich stealing guy and maybe the one with the flip ton of shipping (ya know with a romance themed deck). 5ds eng intro was cool but i barely cared for the show. zexal i barely watched and could not bare. arc-v, idk about that but i did like the main character.

watched the 4 english episodes of vrains and....it's alright i guess? though that data storm rear end pull pissed me off .

honestly i fell out of love with the series for awhile but i had some good memories with it.

Honestly, if you didn't like 5Ds, I dunno if you're ever going to get much value out of the show. Granted, I never watch the English versions because 4Kids is intolerable, but I doubt it's that much worse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's much worse.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VJeff posted:

It's much worse.

...Okay, fair enough. I don't even know why I thought they wouldn't ruin the show.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I was considering watching arc v (sub). maybe the first half to see if it's worth it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The first half is the best it's ever been, tapering off towards the end. The second half, oh boy...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm the weirdo who loves ZeXal the best out of all the spinoffs.

VRAINS I enjoy, but it's an action show with the pacing of a snail. It's asking really interesting questions about the nature of a lifeform, what it can mean to create intelligence, and what lies entail in a society made up of six members. But it takes a cour to set up the question, another to ask it and we're setting up maybe the answer or probably more questions.
Go Onizuka had a pretty interesting take on rivals losing and being a petty man about it, while stating the strong set up that "you're defined by what you do when you Lose." and we're coming up to 20 episodes since he last showed up.

OTOH Revolver came back with a dope-rear end new costume.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Fruity20 posted:

I was considering watching arc v (sub). maybe the first half to see if it's worth it.

First 50 episodes is the best Yu-Gi-Oh has to offer, up there with first half of 5Ds and the original manga.

Synchro Arc is watchable but go absolutely no further than episode 100.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really wonder how much better the pacing in VRAINS would be if they didn't have recap episodes every third duel.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I really wonder how much better the pacing in VRAINS would be if they didn't have recap episodes every third duel.

Gallop would probably be on fire and Go would seize to be animated entirely.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

First 50 episodes is the best Yu-Gi-Oh has to offer, up there with first half of 5Ds and the original manga.

I’d argue it’s watchable through Xyz and the start of Fusion, but that’s just me.

It’s absolutely time to check out when the Battle Beast nonsense starts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VJeff posted:

Literally 2/3 of Synchro Arc is Yuya in a hotel not doing anything and then I stopped watching

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vandar posted:

I’d argue it’s watchable through Xyz and the start of Fusion, but that’s just me.

It’s absolutely time to check out when the Battle Beast nonsense starts.

Personally I feel like Xyz is totally lacking in any worthwhile payoff. Kaito is uninteresting and dilutes Shun's presence severely, Edo feels wasted and the two sisters are really underwhelming.

Like the only thing worth watching for in the last third of the series is Yuri, imo.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That tag duel should have been Shun and Sora against them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Battle Beast is fun to see, and Yusho vs Yuri is the best duel in the entire back half of the show.

My recommended viewing list:
First season
IF you're a 5D's fan, keep going until Yugo's riding duel. Then see Jack's duels.
Battle Beast (Yuya gets a clean win where he expresses what his motivation is, and it's funny to see a pile of jobbers), Yusho vs Yuri (best duel after the first year) and Yuya vs Dennis as the finale.

There, I have fixed Arc-V.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

VJeff posted:

It's much worse.

Really? I stopped watching after the Battle Beast and it seemed adequate enough to me.Some of the voices are awful and the music is inferior, but a lot of the voices are unironically good and they wrote out some of the weaker parts of the latter half (Shun liking kids out of the blue and Kite not having a character arc). I'd rate it better than certain dubs on Adult Swim.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 18, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Battle Beast is a mess. It slows down what had been a climatic build up to that point with a five episode arc centered around BUY GLADIATOR BEASTS.

It’s awful.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kay Kessler posted:

Really? I stopped watching after the Battle Beast and it seemed adequate enough to me.

The duel against Zarc is insanely miserable. 4 2v1 duels in a row where everyone loses because his boss card has 7 layers of protective bullshit. Then Zarc loses in the most boring way possible.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The duel against Zarc is insanely miserable. 4 2v1 duels in a row where everyone loses because his boss card has 7 layers of protective bullshit. Then Zarc loses in the most boring way possible.

I was referring to the dub being adequate (for a kid's show dub, at least). I watched the entirety of the original and am unfortunately aware of how the show shits the bed. I probably stopped watching the dub just so I wouldn't have to relive it. :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kay Kessler posted:

I was referring to the dub being adequate (for a kid's show dub, at least). I watched the entirety of the original and am unfortunately aware of how the show shits the bed. I probably stopped watching the dub just so I wouldn't have to relive it. :v:

Oh whoops, but yeah Shay/Shun's voice is good and Sawatari's is excellent.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Battle Beast is fun to see, and Yusho vs Yuri is the best duel in the entire back half of the show.

My recommended viewing list:
First season
IF you're a 5D's fan, keep going until Yugo's riding duel. Then see Jack's duels.
Battle Beast (Yuya gets a clean win where he expresses what his motivation is, and it's funny to see a pile of jobbers), Yusho vs Yuri (best duel after the first year) and Yuya vs Dennis as the finale.

There, I have fixed Arc-V.

Watch Sawatari almost defeat Zarc, then skip to Zarc being defeated so we can have our True End

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arc-V had a lot of potential. The pacing of the reveal of the premise was good, the main character has visible moments of improvement and his plays get more elaborate as the show went on, the supporting cast were consistently good and Yuyas rivals were proper threats, outplaying him consistently, the art and animation was really good for an overwhelming majority of the show, even filler was well made.

But in retrospect there were warning signs, like how Yuya is utterly incompetent outside of dueling and how it started to slow down heavily in the leadup to synchro, HOW THEY STOPPED CHANGING SAWATARIS DECKS YES IM STILL MAD. And The finale may as well lined everyone on the wall, shot them in the head and declared this the Zarc and Ray show, for how much progress they did. An immensely cool play by best character Sawatari, and the only good play his Abyss Actor deck got was no sold. Bitch move Arc-v.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Arc-V had a lot of potential. The pacing of the reveal of the premise was good, the main character has visible moments of improvement and his plays get more elaborate as the show went on, the supporting cast were consistently good and Yuyas rivals were proper threats, outplaying him consistently, the art and animation was really good for an overwhelming majority of the show, even filler was well made.

But in retrospect there were warning signs, like how Yuya is utterly incompetent outside of dueling and how it started to slow down heavily in the leadup to synchro, HOW THEY STOPPED CHANGING SAWATARIS DECKS YES IM STILL MAD. And The finale may as well lined everyone on the wall, shot them in the head and declared this the Zarc and Ray show, for how much progress they did. An immensely cool play by best character Sawatari, and the only good play his Abyss Actor deck got was no sold. Bitch move Arc-v.

Yuya learns the same exact lesson like 8 times and 3 of those were back to back in synchro
It's like they had no other ideas for his character, it sucks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yuya is just a less fun Jaden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kay Kessler posted:

Really? I stopped watching after the Battle Beast and it seemed adequate enough to me.Some of the voices are awful and the music is inferior, but a lot of the voices are unironically good and they wrote out some of the weaker parts of the latter half (Shun liking kids out of the blue and Kite not having a character arc). I'd rate it better than certain dubs on Adult Swim.

I thought we were talking about the 5D's dub - which was pretty bad. I mean all the dubs are bad. They look ugly, they sound bad, the delivery is stilted, the dialog is stilted. They're just really poorly produced shows, without even comparing them to the originals.

I know the Arc-V dub had more people who were actually fans of the series involved they really tried to do what they could with the material but you can only do so much.