Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Those 2 are the controllers I'm always watching out for when looking at PS1 stuff because they're so loving weird.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They still sell that thing and I'm tempted by it more often than I really should be.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

NtotheTC posted:

I'm extremely insecure about my wheel though you've got me there.

Hey look everybody it's Mr. Tiny Wheel!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Small peripheral humiliation.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
*unzips pants, slams huge rear end controller on the table*

Laaaaadies

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Also, Forza Horizon 4 is again very disappointing with the wheel.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone playing Wreckfest with a wheel?

I was crushing the AI with a controller, then plugged in the wheel and can barely get top 5 against novice AI. Still hilarious fun but kinda frustrating.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like any time you switch inputs on a racing game, even from one wheel to another, it takes a while to get back up to par.

When I went from a DFGT to a T300RS it took me like a week to get my lap times back up in GT Sport

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GhostDog posted:

Also, Forza Horizon 4 is again very disappointing with the wheel.

Yeah I'm fully expecting this but its the best open world driving game there is :(

I would kill for an open world sim, but I guess they think that would encourage street racing or something? IDK someone should do it already.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isn’t The Crew an open world?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Isn’t The Crew an open world?

Yes and I consider it to be dramatically worse than forza horizon

The open world aspect of the crew was the only cool part. They had a big mini-US map with lots of familiar cities and stuff, but actual racing was a mess.

Supposedly at higher levels with the right RPG loot the handling and controls got better, but like... gently caress that. Same reason Need For Speed isn't worth thinking about, which is also open world but also has RPG loot and microtransactions for 'cards' and stupid poo poo. Plus bad handling.

Forza Horizon is at least kinda built on Forza stuff so its somewhat sim-cade compared to the other open world car games which are fully arcade nonsense. Although Horizon games do generally feel more arcade-y than the straight Forza games, so they're not far off.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 15, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw about five minutes of gameplay of Crew 2 when it was doing the promotional rounds with streamers and it looked horrible, like it was arcade driving but they couldn't manage to provide fun arcade driving. Instead you mash the trigger until you hit something and the game magically points you back towards the road to drive headlong into the next barrier. Traffic bounces off you like they're made of ping pong balls.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I have a friend who was creative director at Simbin when they came up with that. He's always very quick to point out that he had nothing to do with it. I haven't tried it, but he assures me that it's an utter piece of garbage.

Speaking of ye olde racing wheels, I never used a FFB wheen for GPL. I raced for years using a Thomas Super Wheel, which may seem horribly out-dated now (the fact that they still sell incredibly expensive wheels with no FFB is laughable), but at the time ('99, I think) it was one of few really durable wheels on the market, and it lasted me well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Steen71 posted:

Speaking of ye olde racing wheels, I never used a FFB wheen for GPL. I raced for years using a Thomas Super Wheel, which may seem horribly out-dated now (the fact that they still sell incredibly expensive wheels with no FFB is laughable), but at the time ('99, I think) it was one of few really durable wheels on the market, and it lasted me well.

Oh yeah, this is the wheel that guy was talking about. It's two bike chains and springs connected to a metal rod that's connected to a potentiometer. He would go into any thread about a wheel with force feedback and call it a toy wheel when he's using something that looks like a loving Tomy Racing Turbo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I had no idea about any of this and now I am in some bizzaro world

https://www.thomas-superwheel.com/wheelsapedals/analog-wheels-pedals/analogwheel/tsw-ezgt-evolution-analog-detail

quote:

270 degree steering rotation
2 buttons
Sales price: $652.00

:psyduck:

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've no idea how they still exist. Stuff like that was acceptable 20 years ago (e: when pretty much everything was garbage), but now?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It says right in the copy it’s for people who have limited leg and foot use.

Blessed, but too expensive if you ask me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't worry, you can spend more.

https://www.thomas-superwheel.com/wheelsapedals/digital-wheels-pedals/tsw-720-steering-controller-detail

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you fully kit that out it comes to $2002

I really question who is buying a spring centered wheel that looks like someone converted a Sega Outrun arcade cabinet wheel to USB.

Maybe this is a money laundering front.

The hand throttle wheel makes a little sense, but this is like someone trying to unload a bungee cord wheel with a spring upgrade for thousands of dollars.

Am I missing something?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

someone converted a Sega Outrun arcade cabinet wheel to USB.

I am throwing money at my screen

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really question who is buying a spring centered wheel that looks like someone converted a Sega Outrun arcade cabinet wheel to USB.

When you put it that way, it makes it sound more appealing, but only because I have very fond memories of the time spent behind such a wheel. Maybe that's a sign of… I don't know, but probably something not entirely healthy or good.

Also, make it a Super Sprint wheel, double the price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you fully kit that out it comes to $2002

Maybe this is a money laundering front.

The hand throttle wheel makes a little sense, but this is like someone trying to unload a bungee cord wheel with a spring upgrade for thousands of dollars.

Am I missing something?

Before direct drive or even belt drive wheels showed up, "force feedback" was some rumblie bumblies and a gear driven motor that was easily overpowered. So there was room for what was considered better for driving. Consistent resistance, or something that sort of told you what the ingame car was doing. There was also the ECCI Trackstar that had a damper that is supposed to simulate what a wheel feels like when you turn it and the tires are fighting you. When I first found out about the ECCI, I spent several minutes scouring the website trying to figure out what it was. It looks really fancy but I couldn't figure out why they wanted so much money for it. I didn't understand why someone would spend so much money on those vs a G25 then, and the comparison is even worse now with belt driven or direct drive wheels.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Probably luddites who think anything electrical will break, so good 'ol cams and gears are superior.

They probably get base model cars IRL because, "there's less stuff that will break."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's steampunk I tells you

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

When I first found out about the ECCI, I spent several minutes scouring the website trying to figure out what it was. It looks really fancy but I couldn't figure out why they wanted so much money for it. I didn't understand why someone would spend so much money on those vs a G25 then, and the comparison is even worse now with belt driven or direct drive wheels.

My friend who worked at Simbin bought an ECCI many years ago, and the reason was the same as me buying a TSW (except the ECCI is much better quality): It will basically never wear out. He still has it somewhere, and it works as well now as it did back then. I think he bought a Driving Force GT after that, but the pedals were so terrible that he quickly went back to the ECCI. (These days I think he's using a Thrustmaster T500.)

But, yeah, then the Logitech G25 came out in 2006 and left those wheels in the dust - especially if you mod the brake pedal.

Myself, I've been on a G27 for years.

e: My friend and I got to know each other over online racing in GPL in 2000. It turned out we lived almost door to door. At the time he wasn't even using a wheel, but this weird RC controller for PC. He'd come across it when he was looking for a controller for his friend Jason Watt (Danish race driver who broke his back and was paralysed in 1999), and had grown fond of it himself. It had a small wheel on top and a trigger that you pulled for gas and pushed for brake. I was amazed at how fast he was in GPL with that thing, and he would occasionally beat my times.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 16, 2018

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I’ve used my Spektrum DX3R RC transmitter with the usb receiver adapter that VRC-Pro sells with a lot of different racing games and prefer it to a standard controller for sure. The downside is that you have to use something else for whatever buttons you need - in the F1 games I bound drs to the space bar and put my keyboard on the floor so I could tap it with my foot which was less than practical.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

An RC transmitter is decent because the sticks have a big throw and tons of resolution.

Ergonomically it doesn’t make any sense, as you mentioned, but it wouldn’t be the worst for controlling a car without a wheel, as it’s much more sensitive and granular than a console controller

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is anyone playing Wreckfest with a wheel?

I was crushing the AI with a controller, then plugged in the wheel and can barely get top 5 against novice AI. Still hilarious fun but kinda frustrating.

Does the rotation feel off? Try turning saturation to 45-50%

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
PSA that my local track, Calabogie Motorsports Park, is now available as a mod track for Assetto Corsa. It is not perfect, but we should do a goon race to try and replicate the Micra Cup race that went viral.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

Does the rotation feel off? Try turning saturation to 45-50%

I'll give that a shot, it's been turning thats been giving me trouble when it was super easy with the controller.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FFB was good for a long time. I remember playing hard drivin' arcade... The FFB was great in that game, for 1988 or whenever it came out.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

FFB was good for a long time. I remember playing hard drivin' arcade... The FFB was great in that game, for 1988 or whenever it came out.

I think the earliest for home use was the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel from '97, but it wasn't very good. There were some great arcade machines though, with F355 Challenge being a pretty serious simulator. I'll still occasionally play it on my Dreamcast.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jonathan posted:

Hard Drivin was basically a sim in an arcade cab. It also pretty realistically simulated the clutch and manual gearbox

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My first wheel had no feedback and I used it to play one of the early need for speed games that actually had the cops n robbers mechanic.

I liked being the cop, and for some reason I drove the Impala the most?

I think it was Hot Pursuit, NFS3. Very arcadey, but very fun at the time. The most 'sim' stuff I'd ever done back then was playing X-Wing or Red Baron with a physical joystick.

I really wanted a force feedback wheel but couldn't afford one until waaaaay later, like after I graduated.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Decided to bite the bullet and get AC Competizione. Looks like multiplayer is being added mid November, so we should try to arrange some races before Thanksgiving if we are allowed to.

BTW, I'll be using a DFGT :yotj:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I tried it, but it wasn't accepting input from my G27 in-game despite working in the options menu. :(

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Downloading ACC right now, looking forward to punting you guys off the track in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm seriously considering ditching VR and just going back to triple monitor. VR is awesome but I loving hate having cords hanging off me. And i fog up the lenses as a side effect of motion sickness.

I feel like maybe the generation after next, when the units are wireless is when I'll want to revisit VR.

I don't know if any wireless solutions are in the works for WMR platform.