Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Always beware the fucker with a flail and no shield. His existence is solely meant to get lucky and bonk the hell out of one of your early game bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Night10194 posted:

Always beware the fucker with a flail and no shield. His existence is solely meant to get lucky and bonk the hell out of one of your early game bros.

Amen. I got rushed by a raider party at night, and hadn't stocked up on supplies, so I gave one of my normal 2H bros heavy armour and one flail. He wrecked poo poo.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
New DLC enemy announced.
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-104-the-schrat/

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I am absolutely loving the variety of enemy encounters we're going to be able to get with the new DLC. Each new enemy type seems to be something totally different from what we've currently got, and that rules. After fighting one hundred groups of bandits it will be great to be able to go hunt giant spiders, evil ents, and Baba Yaga.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh sweet, a unique light armour, this should make a nice upgrade from a mail shirt for one of my archers, let's check this poo poo out

:geno:

For comparison:

e: also:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 14, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I honestly wish armors had more properties to them than just fatigue and durability, like the dire wolf armor's resolve debuff or small resistances to certain damage types or the likes. I guess the crafted additional gubbins in the DLC will do that, though.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 14, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
2H chat, why not just give the guy quick hands and a shield?

I do that for most of my 2H guys and it works out pretty well. They're fairly safe moving forward and the second an enemy goes "hah look at this dumb gently caress" they get chopped in half.

Bonus points if you have javs you can throw haphazardly everywhere.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

First unique heavy armor I found in my last run, strictly worse than Scale Armor.

At least finding it early meant I did get use out of it, but (I assume) people died for this.

dogstile posted:

2H chat, why not just give the guy quick hands and a shield?

I do that for most of my 2H guys and it works out pretty well. They're fairly safe moving forward and the second an enemy goes "hah look at this dumb gently caress" they get chopped in half.

Bonus points if you have javs you can throw haphazardly everywhere.
I can never find the room for Quick Hands in my two-hander builds, who are Perk-starved as it is. And carrying a shield and a two-handed weapon really cuts into Fatigue.

That said I've also always found the big Goblin city harder than the Black Monolith and this might be one of the reasons.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 14, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't usually see it as a problem. My 2h dudes have quick hands, colossus, steel brow, whatever mastery they need, battle forged and i just kinda branch out from there.

It's not "optimal" but I take far less injuries so I can get snowballing quicker.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In theory I like quick hands on my lancers/ sergeants -- my backline two hander folks, not my frontline -- but in practice it's rare that my guys get around to getting those skills before I restart.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nothing like starting a new game, getting a 4-raider hideout from a 1-skull mission, and getting 3 Flails by day 4.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wish there was a way to prestige or new game+. State of Decay 2 lets you take three survivors into the next game to help you kickstart a new game or keep favorites, and I'd have an easier time restarting if it meant I didn't lose guys like Von Horde, the adventurous noble I rescued from an orc larder who has three stars each in MD and fatigue and two in melee attack.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Necromancer on a 500 crown day 16 1 star contract.

Welp, guess I didn't need that town to like me anymore anyway.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Current run is going well so far at day 13. Not much money but managed to score two squires at low prices. Them and my starter bros should become a solid core while I slowly XCOM my way towards getting a decent lineup.

How fast do I need to have a full 12 man company? How soon do I need to start replacing the scrubs with better recruits? At this point I have 5 worthwhile guys and 4 much less worthwhile guys.

I usually look for lumberjacks, squires and militias for recruits, and will hire farmers and thieves as temporary guys. For range I only accept hunters and witch hunters (or the odd guy who has way too good range attack). I’ve never been able to hire anyone worth more than 1500 in any run. I usually use farmers and fishermen as bait to pull enemy formations away from people who matter. It’s helped against skeletons.

A big obstacle right now is that 70% of contracts i get seem to be caravans. I loving hate those contracts, there’s no way to make any good money on them. How am I supposed to become friends with places if they always want me to cross the drat continent for chump change?

Someone advised me to attack enemy encampments? Why? How would I cover the costs involved in attacking things if I’m not getting paid for it? Experience is nice but I need to build up my money. Raiders drop weapons, sure, but I will get those from killing raiders sooner or later anyway.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Skeleton King posted:

Someone advised me to attack enemy encampments? Why? How would I cover the costs involved in attacking things if I’m not getting paid for it? Experience is nice but I need to build up my money. Raiders drop weapons, sure, but I will get those from killing raiders sooner or later anyway.

They often have loot in the form of treasures (rings, books, chalices etc.) or trade goods.

Also yeah never take caravan contacts, unless you were already going there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hideouts drop treasure that you can sell for large amounts of money. I often find that the amount of money from selling treasure is roughly equivalent to the amount of money I might get for clearing out a hideout as a contract. So when there are no contracts you like, go hit a raider hideout and you'll likely end up with the same amount of money as if you were getting paid for it, plus the other loot like early higher-tier weapons and armour.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, you can hit more than one hideout on a journey, while you can only have a single contract.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Some direwolf mail armors and a rad wolfhead helmet about 20 days into the run, got a good feeling about this one.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Firing this up again for the first time since release. Is "Taunt" still somewhat useless like it used to be? I remember back when, it was one of the few perks no one took because it didn't work well/right.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I experimented with Taunt recently and yeah, it's not really worth taking to me. I want to play around with it a little more but it really only seems to redirect actions an enemy was going to take enemy towards the taunting bro. It won't make spellcasters attack instead of casting even when they're close enough to walk up to and attack the bro. It won't make enemies break formation or abandon flanking maneuvers in many cases.

It works really well against Necrosavants and - with the undead trophy - Geists but there are so many ways to deal with Necrosavants later on.

I didn't get to test it against Goblin Shamans or Ancient Priests so I don't know if it can taunt them into using their single target spells. Based on what I've seen so far I assume it doesn't, though.

How fast do I need to have a full 12 man company? How soon do I need to start replacing the scrubs with better recruits? At this point I have 5 worthwhile guys and 4 much less worthwhile guys.

I usually look for lumberjacks, squires and militias for recruits, and will hire farmers and thieves as temporary guys. For range I only accept hunters and witch hunters (or the odd guy who has way too good range attack). I’ve never been able to hire anyone worth more than 1500 in any run. I usually use farmers and fishermen as bait to pull enemy formations away from people who matter. It’s helped against skeletons.
Early on, just expand when you can. Do you have money reserves for a couple of days and gear for a new bro in your inventory/available to buy for cheap? Then hire somebody. Don't sweat the number of days it takes too much early on.
I personally try to get to noble contracts and a full roster with melee bros in nasal helmets and rusty mail or better within 30 days, but sometimes it takes a week more or less just because of things like contract availability, RNG in tougher battles, map quality, and so on. Factors that have nothing to do with how well I'm playing at the time.

You seem to restrict yourself to backgrounds that are expensive to hire for no real reason. I mean, Militia are great if you can get them cheap because they can randomly be good tanks, two-handers, archers or sergeants. Squires are the same, except they're better. So those are good general purpose backgrounds to look for.
But there are lots of cheap ones that have good stat bonuses. A Brawler, naked Wildman or Gravedigger can cost 100 to pick up and those guys can be great. Backgrounds like Caravan Hands, Cultists and Graverobbers are more expensive but also worth trying. Poachers aren't any worse than Witch Hunters when it comes to Ranged Skill. Eventually, once you're always walking around with enough of a cash reserve to last you a couple of days, hiring lots of cheap bros just to see if they have potential is the best strategy to find endgame-worthy bros in my opinion. I mostly only hire the really expensive guys when I want their gear or when they're really cheap for a background of their quality, like a Sellsword for 3,000 or less. (Hunters being the main exception because they are strictly the best pure ranged recruits. I also hire Witch Hunters even when they're too expensive but that's mainly because I like their events.)

quote:

Like others have said, you will get some treasure item or trading good out of it. It may only be a ring or some amber but unless your bros suffer multiple injuries that need healing that alone more than makes it worth it. You'll also loot food and some supplies. The only places that aren't worth attacking for loot are graveyards because there is no loot to be had there. Just some gold and whatever the enemies drop. Graveyards also like to pull poo poo like all Geist groups on you, so you may have to deal with their bullshit just to walk away with a grand total of 50 gold.

At the point you're at, though, there probably aren't that many places you can actually take on successfully. I've forgotten what it's like on other difficulties but on Expert I'd only go after huts and maybe Orc caves at that point in the game.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 15, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I try to make sure I have at least one Caravan Hand partly because they're solid and partly because of the event where they give you a permanent inventory space buff.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Just finished "The Battle" event in the Noble War endgame crisis. Three out of my four dead men survived, but they all had permanent broken knees (-40% melee attack and other problems) or broken elbows. So I retired at glorious renown and got the following:

Poor Wendel, he just loved his dogs.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I am frustrated. I took a 2 skull contract to kill a bandit camp in the snowy woods. Things ramped up when it turns out a leader is there. It’s also close enough that maybe I can avoid the bounty hunters too. Big opportunity.

Problem is my guys will never be able to do this without losing one of my important guys. It’s frustrating because after 20 attempts there appears to be no way to win without an unacceptable loss of one of my best guys.

gently caress, I’d really like to kill that guy and get a nice weapon and the bounty. What a frustrating game.

In other news, I’ve learned to knife swarm the last bandit raider in every fight if possible to get their armor. It’s really funny.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Fighting 30+ sized undead hideouts is still incredibly boring.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Sometimes, Spearwall works too well.

And then you punch a zombie.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Fighting 30+ sized undead hideouts is still incredibly boring.

Should probably be in the OP or something because it always bears repeating: if you play a lot of this game download cheat engine and double the game speed.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Trying to keep my guys alive in each fight is pretty obnoxious. Im starting to wish I could just go XCOM and throw endless bodies into a grinder.

I still dont understand how to get big money. I don't think I ever will. You guys are doing some wizard poo poo, I swear.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
It has probably been mentioned already but I find filthyrobot's youtubes about Battle Brothers perks and strategies to be pretty useful.

Battle Brothers general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?FilthyRobotChannel?playlists

Filthy's BB guides and tips about perks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfiNMTx8fZQ

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trying to keep my guys alive in each fight is pretty obnoxious. Im starting to wish I could just go XCOM and throw endless bodies into a grinder.

I still dont understand how to get big money. I don't think I ever will. You guys are doing some wizard poo poo, I swear.

It just happens. I wish I could be more helpful but there is a point in a companies life where you become a force to be feared and are able to take on any foe as you please.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The easiest answer is that good armor makes a lot of difference. Once you get to the level where you can break the enemy before your team suffers too many injuries, you can really begin snowballing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Based on Skeleton King's posts and what he is saying in relation to advice given, it seems to me like his problem is that he is not doing well in combat. All the overworld strategy and trade route knowledge in the world doesn't mean poo poo if you cant get out of a fight without crippling injuries and dead bros.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Yeah, its easier said than done. Bros are extremely good at getting their poo poo kicked in even when there's no way in hell they should be losing. It is disgusting how hard it is to keep any of them alive. I manage to do it, but its frustrating.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Are you just clashing line against line and praying to RNGesus?? Varying formations and equipment for what you're fighting is a huge part of the game. How you position and what formation you move in actually has a very pronounced effect on the way the enemy AI responds, allowing all sorts of poo poo like splitting their ranks and isolating threats, etc

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 16, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sure, and then you get an Undead Hero that rolls 95+ on dodge three times in a row and decapitates 3 people in a single swing, each at <20 hit chance.

This might have happened earlier.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Don't be afraid to save and reload when you're still learning the game. No shame.

This is a great guide on tactics and formations:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185230449

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Sure, and then you get an Undead Hero that rolls 95+ on dodge three times in a row and decapitates 3 people in a single swing, each at <20 hit chance.

This might have happened earlier.

Those things will always happen here and there, but not every fight to the point where you can't even manage to keep your people in fighting shape, unless you're putting yourself in situations that allow it to.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Those things will always happen here and there, but not every fight to the point where you can't even manage to keep your people in fighting shape, unless you're putting yourself in situations that allow it to.

Yeah yeah, I just wanted to vent about that one, it's not a common occurrence. Thing was that, as you can see from the numbers, I had set up to minimize RNG, and still got screwed over pretty handily.

Should have taken a screenshot, but I might have rage-Alt F4'd out of that fight.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah yeah, I just wanted to vent about that one, it's not a common occurrence. Thing was that, as you can see from the numbers, I had set up to minimize RNG, and still got screwed over pretty handily.

Should have taken a screenshot, but I might have rage-Alt F4'd out of that fight.

Yeah, RNG happens. On the flip side, I managed to decap 3 guys with one 2 hander swing last night with a sub 30% to hit, so the door swings both ways.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't be afraid to save and reload when you're still learning the game. No shame.

This is a great guide on tactics and formations:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185230449

Wow, that guide is really thorough and actually puts into words a lot of thoughts I've had about the game while playing. The bit about building a crew of 'jack-of-all-trades generalists who can't survive past day 100' is almost too personal.

His idea of a 'fallthrough' system is a great example of something I'd thought but never actually made the leap of putting into words, while my dudes just die too randomly to bother planning for their bright futures when I could pick a short-term survival perk right now.

Perhaps this is a problem of the game itself though? There's no clear in-game motivation to specialize until you've hit the late game and failed a few playthroughs, and losing a high-level specialist is (or at least feels like) such an enormous setback it's almost too tempting to avoid that by just making everyone similar builds to avoid the frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

immortal flow posted:

Perhaps this is a problem of the game itself though? There's no clear in-game motivation to specialize until you've hit the late game and failed a few playthroughs, and losing a high-level specialist is (or at least feels like) such an enormous setback it's almost too tempting to avoid that by just making everyone similar builds to avoid the frustration.

Not really, because the game incentivizes to specialize your bros by giving them varying starting stats and aptitudes. You are not realizing the full potential of a bro with high melee skill & defense by not making him a two-hander for example.