Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Palpek posted:

Thanks for the info. I liked Rise a lot and don't have enough of the formula yet so this all sounds right up my alley.

2 more questions:
- is the gameworld similarly constructed as in Rise or did they make it more linear/openworld?
- does the emphasis on tombs mean that the aspect is also developed deeper than in Rise or are the tombs simply bigger or what?

It’s most similar to Rise’s layout with one mega hub and two smaller ones, interdicted by more linear combat and platforming segments. As for the tombs, they have more complex solutions and actually require you to think for a bit, especially since most of them can kill you. If you set the puzzle difficulty to Hard then nothing is highlighted and Lara won’t give any clues besides “I think I’m getting somewhere” cues when you’ve made progress. It took two whole games but the story also now has mandatory tomb raiding in addition to the standard optional challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't mind a new gen starting cause I'm probably gonna be Nintendo only and I already have their next gen console

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
New generation is fine by me since I've always been at least 2 generations behind due to being poor as heck, and a new one means the old ones get cheaper to buy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

I don't really care if a new generation starts or not since I haven't cared about graphics for years

On the other hand I wouldn't mind a new generation optimized for ssd and better memory. Video games should load as fast as cartridge games and I should have multiple games in standby and just general speed and optimization improvements beyond better graphics.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sony makes a better controller every gen so I'll probably get a dualshock 5 if nothing else

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I keep getting the drat snakes on a plane theme song stuck in my head recently

Sakurazuka posted:

Combat in Prototype is weird, looking at the moves list it seems like they thought it was some sort of character action game but there's only like three moves of any use and you just do those over and over again.
Like there's a bunch that assume that at some point you'll be facing off against a single human character in honourable one on one combat instead of constantly getting swarmed by stuff.

It can be very fun going without powers for a bit and just fist-fighting a big meatman. As a granny of course.

Switch Prototype would be neat

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Samuringa posted:

I think MS plan for the XBOOX will be to have total retrocompatibility with all previous consoles, and these games they've been putting on the Bone are testing the waters and the hardware.

Sony will most likely eat poo poo for a couple of years because they're being far too arrogant.

MS just don't have the exclusives and they really need to turn that around next gen if they are hoping to stay in the console business.

Nintendo and Sony are absolutely murdering them on this front. The Xbox basically being a non-entity in Japan hurts the platform bigtime because it pretty much eliminates a huge number of studios from ever developing stuff for it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Andrast posted:

I don't really care if a new generation starts or not since I haven't cared about graphics for years

Yeah if I want to play a technically intensive game I'm gonna do it on my PC where I can put it to settings that let me play at 144fps anyway

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

Combat in Prototype is weird, looking at the moves list it seems like they thought it was some sort of character action game but there's only like three moves of any use and you just do those over and over again.
Like there's a bunch that assume that at some point you'll be facing off against a single human character in honourable one on one combat instead of constantly getting swarmed by stuff.

I enjoyed Prototype 2 for streamlining a lot of the combat, and one of the best little touches was assigning the Shield to a single button you could activate on the fly instead of having it being its own power.

The Colonel posted:

i don't want the next console gen to start yet because i still don't have money to upgrade my computer and i can barely hope to run games from the current gen as it is

It's why I got a Ps4.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh boy the intro video to MotorStorm looks amazingly beautiful, I can't wait to play-

"An update to this game is available"

...Oh.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

On the other hand I wouldn't mind a new generation optimized for ssd and better memory. Video games should load as fast as cartridge games and I should have multiple games in standby and just general speed and optimization improvements beyond better graphics.

Console manufacturers are definitely not going to go that route though. That stuff is way harder to market than games just looking better.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If they want games to look better they need to hire good art directors and go for distinct visual styles instead of just turning up the number of polygons

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

If they want games to look better they need to hire good art directors and go for distinct visual styles instead of just turning up the number of polygons

hmm but if you focus on strong art direction your game might look good later, and people might buy it instead of whatever you're selling this year

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Game companies already spend millions and millions of dollars on art, it's probably the single most expensive aspect of development since it needs to be made appealing by actual people and cannot be automated.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/PorraSilvoca/status/1040647267194228737

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

It’s most similar to Rise’s layout with one mega hub and two smaller ones, interdicted by more linear combat and platforming segments. As for the tombs, they have more complex solutions and actually require you to think for a bit, especially since most of them can kill you. If you set the puzzle difficulty to Hard then nothing is highlighted and Lara won’t give any clues besides “I think I’m getting somewhere” cues when you’ve made progress. It took two whole games but the story also now has mandatory tomb raiding in addition to the standard optional challenges.
It's cool that you can set the puzzle difficulty separately. Sounds good overall, thanks.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What did I miss? Did they announce the PS5 in the Nintendo Direct or something?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Game companies already spend millions and millions of dollars on art, it's probably the single most expensive aspect of development since it needs to be made appealing by actual people and cannot be automated.

Yeah but they aren't spending those millions make art that appeals to me, personally

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah but they aren't spending those millions make art that appeals to me, personally

I'm sure they'll get right on it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

With any luck there are still two giant ps4 games in the localization pipeline for me, so I'll be sticking with that for a while.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

also "why do we need new consoles, graphics have peaked" is p much always myopic, but it does seem early for next gen rumblings since any given new 1st party game still gets people marveling at how pretty they are. I dunno what they could sell people on atm besides "4k games but for real this time"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One of the top-selling games on Steam right now is an early-access DayZ clone, but with simulated pee and poop

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

also "why do we need new consoles, graphics have peaked" is p much always myopic, but it does seem early for next gen rumblings since any given new 1st party game still gets people marveling at how pretty they are. I dunno what they could sell people on atm besides "4k games but for real this time"

A 4k 60fps console would still be way too expensive and have a comparatively niche market as long as the PS4 is still the cheaper goto for all who "only" have an HD TV.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

One of the top-selling games on Steam right now is an early-access DayZ clone, but with simulated pee and poop

Next generation consoles will be able to show accurate poop physics in real time

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jay Rust posted:

My wallet!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Verranicus posted:

So close to being done with Wildstar. I just want to finish the main story. Unfortunately the main story quests also seem to be the worst, longest quests they could come up with. One zone left to go and I can uninstall this mess.

Need to make room for RIFT and Age of Conan!

why would you do this to yourself

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rarity posted:

Next generation consoles will be able to show accurate poop physics in real time

Gonna need the PS6 before it accurately reflects nutritional intake though, so why bother.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jay Rust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Aq-gm3An0

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Imagine how much more accurate you could simulate, model, and animate that poop with more processing and graphics power.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Isn’t shaped in logs; immersion ruined

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hopper posted:

A 4k 60fps console would still be way too expensive and have a comparatively niche market as long as the PS4 is still the cheaper goto for all who "only" have an HD TV.

I had to choose between a 4K/60Hz monitor and a 1440p/144Hz monitor and I went with the latter. FPS has now overtaken resolution for me even though the console world has chosen the other way (30fps games ugh)

Verranicus posted:

So close to being done with Wildstar. I just want to finish the main story. Unfortunately the main story quests also seem to be the worst, longest quests they could come up with. One zone left to go and I can uninstall this mess.

Need to make room for RIFT and Age of Conan!

OK I may now have to reconsider the recommendations for FF14

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Giving a whole new meaning to “rear end in a top hat physics” here

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
looking at these 30fps games with utter revulsion. just total contempt. cannot believe my eyes as a i look at these video games running in thirty frames

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Steve Yun posted:

Isn’t shaped in logs; immersion ruined
That's just what the paleo diet does with you man.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Once I saw my mouse cursor move on a 144Hz desktop I felt what other people describe when they first experience VR

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd 100% choose a 360 gen looking game at 60 fps over a current gen looking game at 30 fps if everything else was the same

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Andrast posted:

I'd 100% choose a 360 gen looking game at 60 fps over a current gen looking game at 30 fps if everything else was the same

if it's a Sega game sure but anything by Bethesda is a no go for me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think i've gotten halfway through jak 3 in the amount of time it took me to get 1/4 through jak ii

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK I may now have to reconsider the recommendations for FF14
he's a moron but when it comes to ff14, he's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

lol a statue and a framed picture.

What have you done for your waifu lately???

• Locked thread