Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Works with a 4th gen Apple TV, if that helps.

They also make digital audio coax-> Toslink converters if that’s more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

Should an HDMI audio extractor like this work with an ATV 4K? I got one for my dad and it worked fine with his Chromecast & Roku stick (HDMI switch > audio extractor > toslink > old receiver).

My own use case would be hooking the ATV up to an entry-level soundbar. Just wondering if there’s like advanced encryption features or something that could be an issue with the 4K.

Might sound like a dumb/paranoid question, but I just discovered that the spare TV I’m using for this setup can only use the digital out for coaxial sources (possibly due to 2007-era copyright concerns???), so I feel like I can’t rule anything out!

I would assume so? There's nothing magic about the signal coming out the ATV.

Personally, I have the HDMI go from the ATV to my Dennon (actually all my A/V goes into the Dennon first) and then it has a Video Only HDMI out. Works like a dream.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Proteus Jones posted:

HDCP can do weird poo poo

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Proteus Jones posted:

Personally, I have the HDMI go from the ATV to my Dennon (actually all my A/V goes into the Dennon first) and then it has a Video Only HDMI out. Works like a dream.
Yeah that's my preferred way of doing it for sure. My "real" A/V setup in a different part of the house will be set up like that. The soundbar is just for like a living/sitting room area that we're keeping really sparse. Just a TV and Apple TV mounted on a wall with no footprint.

It's not a big deal either way as an RCA stereo -> 3.5mm cable from the TV seems to work well enough. But the soundbar apparently can be powered on/off over a toslink cable, so that'd be worth going to the trouble for (trying to get the full "wife-proof" setup here where the ATV remote can be used for everything) . Really I should test that out with some other toslink-ready device first, to make sure it works like I think it does...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Works with a 4th gen Apple TV, if that helps.
Good to hear, thanks! On the other hand...

hey girl you up posted:

HDCP can do weird poo poo
Exactly!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So LOL why does Tinder have an Apple TV app? I have a friend who discovered that her S/O downloaded Tinder recently because she went to install an app and she found the tinder app had been recently added to the account.

Good times.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol that’s hilarious and I’m jealous it wasn’t a thing when I was using tinder

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's been available almost as long as as the ATV4. Why? I dunno. It lets you swipe on your TV, which I guess lets you get a better view?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
obviously so all your friends can chime in and comment

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

obviously so all your friends can chime in and comment

Thats one hell of a party game.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Decided to cancel my Sky subscription and go with Apple TV 4K.

It's arrived today so I'm dead keen to get home and set this bad boy up!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Weird issue : I have two AppleTVs in my house (1 4K, 1 regular/recent gen), a Verizon FIOS router, and a Google Mesh Wifi network plugged into the FIOS router.

1. Regular AppleTV has always worked fine with no problems.
2. The 4K TV shits itself when I connect it with the Google Mesh network. It runs fine for a day or so, then the throughput drops to a stupidly low number, nothing loads, and it's pretty much nonfunctional until I switch it back to my Verizon Wifi. Then it works with no problem. Reboots and even a factory reset haven't changed this behavior.

The obnoxious thing is that every other device on my home network uses the Google Mesh, so if I want to do Airplay or use my phone as a remote, I have to switch to the other network and it hates doing that because the boosted Google signal is way stronger. I called Apple and they gave me a big shrug in response. Anyone else seen something like this?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You shouldn't be running two networks. Can you turn off/disconnect the Verizon router and just use it as a modem?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is your FiOS router connected to the Verizon ONT via coax or ethernet? If it's ethernet, you can connect that directly to the Google Mesh router without even using a modem. If it's coax, you can either configure the FiOS router as a MoCA bridge, or you can call Verizon and have them enable the ethernet port on the ONT.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How is the bug of hitting Menu while multiple screens deep in an app, for me usually Plex, and it going to the home screen still a thing? It’s literally been years now. loving fix it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

How is the bug of hitting Menu while multiple screens deep in an app, for me usually Plex, and it going to the home screen still a thing? It’s literally been years now. loving fix it.

It is so frustrating in Netflix too because it always takes me to the Netflix screen and if I walk away it starts playing some loud bullshit.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
This is more rhetorical than anything, but why in the name of god can’t I say “hey Siri, open Netflix on (my atv name)” into my iOS devices?

Through Harmony, Roku and Alexa, I can pretty much pinpoint it down to an actual title. AppleTV, jack squat.

Also, can anyone on tvOS 12 see any screensaver locations other than LA, Dubai or Hong Kong?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

pipebomb posted:

This is more rhetorical than anything, but why in the name of god can’t I say “hey Siri, open Netflix on (my atv name)” into my iOS devices?

Through Harmony, Roku and Alexa, I can pretty much pinpoint it down to an actual title. AppleTV, jack squat.

Also, can anyone on tvOS 12 see any screensaver locations other than LA, Dubai or Hong Kong?

I'm hoping harmony adds shortcut support to make that first thing possible.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

pipebomb posted:

https://twitter.com/Dagk/status/974047743596404737
(Dag made Siri; Apple bought his company out.)
https://twitter.com/OhMDee/status/1037360730389925890

edit: as may or may not be obvious from the timestamps, those are referencing two different articles

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 15, 2018

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I am having a problem with my Apple TV 4K that I hope someone knows the answer to, I've looked everywhere.

Basically my ATV will just randomly start playing music purchased from iTunes.

Like for instance, when a Netflix show ends and you're waiting for the next one to start, and Netflix "releases" it's audio hold on the system briefly, an itunes song will play.

A lot of times it happens when I exit an app that was playing audio, or sometimes in the menus when I'm switching around (in an app, between apps, etc). So it's clearly associated with actions of some type.

Any ideas? It's driving me loving nuts.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Have you power cycled it?

Hell, it might be faster just to reset to factory settings than it is to troubleshoot what's causing it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh yeah, definitely power cycled it a ton, changed all the settings I could, etc

I think you're right, it's time to just raze the whole thing down and see if that fixes it. Just worried that won't help because this problem has occurred since I bought the thing.

Going to give it a try though, thanks for the suggestion!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This is going to sound weird, but is it possible that an iPhone or iPad, for example, are somehow automatically Airplaying to it?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
VEVO used to have a cool feature where it played a personalized selection of music videos based on the artists you had “liked” from within the app. Kind of like some of the personalized stuff that Spotify and Apple Music do, but with music videos.

As far as I can tell that feature is now gone from the ATV app, and a look at VEVO’s website makes it sound like YouTube is absorbing most aspects of Vevo as a separate entity. Does any other app/service offer something similar to what Vevo used to do? YouTube’s own Music tab is a start, but it doesn’t seem to really offer the personalization stuff that I want.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Is your FiOS router connected to the Verizon ONT via coax or ethernet? If it's ethernet, you can connect that directly to the Google Mesh router without even using a modem. If it's coax, you can either configure the FiOS router as a MoCA bridge, or you can call Verizon and have them enable the ethernet port on the ONT.
It's connected via coax. I'll look into this...

FCKGW posted:

You shouldn't be running two networks. Can you turn off/disconnect the Verizon router and just use it as a modem?
...but I'll give that a shot first.

Thanks!

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
As others have said you don't have to run two networks. If you need to keep the Verizon router around to provide internet to the cable boxes then turn off the wireless radios on the Verizon router and use your Google mesh for wireless. You may have to put it in wireless access point mode or something like that so it's not double routing. I use a second router for wireless in my home for this reason and the wireless on the Verizon router wasn't working that well for me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

It's connected via coax. I'll look into this...
...but I'll give that a shot first.

Thanks!

MoCA bridge = "just use it as a modem." It's not technically a modem.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has the white power LED on the front of the 4K version always turned on even when the appletv is sleeping? I coulda sworn it turned off until very recently.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mine definitely goes out when it sleeps.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has the white power LED on the front of the 4K version always turned on even when the appletv is sleeping? I coulda sworn it turned off until very recently.

:eyepop:

I genuinely misread that, I'm spending too much time on political Twitter.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mahoning posted:

:eyepop:

I genuinely misread that, I'm spending too much time on political Twitter.

AppleTV detects racism even if you or it are asleep.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is there a way to price track the apps on the AppleTV app store?

I'd like to get the Jackbox games on my AppleTV but I ain't paying full price when they were practically free on the PC a few weeks back.

EDIT: Or Steam could just finally launch that embattled Steamlink app without a store attached. That'd solve my problem too.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know this is probably more of a digital release issue than a specifically Apple one, but how the gently caress are you gonna release a movie like Mandy and not offer it in 4K/HDR?????

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

I know this is probably more of a digital release issue than a specifically Apple one, but how the gently caress are you gonna release a movie like Mandy and not offer it in 4K/HDR?????

What in the holy hell is this movie? lol

Also its 100% a studio issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mandy: The guy who made the abysmal Beyond the Black Rainbow found a cinematographer that apparently had a clue this time round, and got Nic Cage on board.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

What in the holy hell is this movie? lol

Also its 100% a studio issue.

It’s the pinnacle of film making and it loving owns.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Probably a fool's errand, but I'm a dinosaur with lots of local music and I'm trying to get iTunes Home Sharing working again. Gonna be lazy and crosspost from Reddit:

After a fresh Windows 10 install I'm trying to get iTunes Home Sharing working again. I can confirm the following:
  • iTunes (Windows 64-bit) and Apple TV (4K) both signed into same Apple ID
  • Home Sharing turned on in both iTunes & ATV
  • iTunes and ATV both updated to latest version
  • Bonjour service running and set to "automatic" on PC
  • Using iTunes itself or Remote App on iPhone, I can Airplay music from the PC to the Apple TV and it works
  • iTunes on a second PC can see and play the shared library
However when clicking the "Computers" tile on the Apple TV, I consistently get the "No iTunes libraries available" prompt. Airplay is a decent workaround, but I'd like to browse my library directly and get the most out of my Apple TV. And of course, the fact that it was working before is very frustrating!

Network troubleshooting usually leads me to port forwarding, so I assume that's the missing step here. I already have static IPs configured for my PC and Apple TV. And the Apple support page says that iTunes music sharing uses TCP port 3689.

Now I don't expect people to know the intricacies of my home network, but I'm looking for some general dumbed-down advice here. Should I be forwarding my PC's IP to port 3689? Or do I forward the Apple TV's IP? Or do I forward both? Sorry if it's a dumb question but my port forwarding skills are very rusty. Also wondering if there are any other ports not listed on Apple's support page that I should try messing with.

This was a long rambling posts so much thanks to anyone who took the time to read it!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s the pinnacle of film making and it loving owns.

Beyond the Black Rainbow is one of my favorite movies ever and I can’t even imagine what Mandy is going to do to me. I hope it fucks me up real good.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Minidust posted:

Probably a fool's errand, but I'm a dinosaur with lots of local music and I'm trying to get iTunes Home Sharing working again. Gonna be lazy and crosspost from Reddit:

After a fresh Windows 10 install I'm trying to get iTunes Home Sharing working again. I can confirm the following:
  • iTunes (Windows 64-bit) and Apple TV (4K) both signed into same Apple ID
  • Home Sharing turned on in both iTunes & ATV
  • iTunes and ATV both updated to latest version
  • Bonjour service running and set to "automatic" on PC
  • Using iTunes itself or Remote App on iPhone, I can Airplay music from the PC to the Apple TV and it works
  • iTunes on a second PC can see and play the shared library
However when clicking the "Computers" tile on the Apple TV, I consistently get the "No iTunes libraries available" prompt. Airplay is a decent workaround, but I'd like to browse my library directly and get the most out of my Apple TV. And of course, the fact that it was working before is very frustrating!

Network troubleshooting usually leads me to port forwarding, so I assume that's the missing step here. I already have static IPs configured for my PC and Apple TV. And the Apple support page says that iTunes music sharing uses TCP port 3689.

Now I don't expect people to know the intricacies of my home network, but I'm looking for some general dumbed-down advice here. Should I be forwarding my PC's IP to port 3689? Or do I forward the Apple TV's IP? Or do I forward both? Sorry if it's a dumb question but my port forwarding skills are very rusty. Also wondering if there are any other ports not listed on Apple's support page that I should try messing with.

This was a long rambling posts so much thanks to anyone who took the time to read it!

Did you install iTunes on that win10 box from the windows store or the full installer from apple.com? There is something diff about the store version, like wifi sync doesn't work for me on that. Didn't try home sharing with it.

This is all internal right? Then port forwarding doesn't come into this at all. Can your iphone see the shared library?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

phosdex posted:

Did you install iTunes on that win10 box from the windows store or the full installer from apple.com? There is something diff about the store version, like wifi sync doesn't work for me on that. Didn't try home sharing with it.

This is all internal right? Then port forwarding doesn't come into this at all. Can your iphone see the shared library?
Thanks, I actually had installed the Windows Store version, but earlier on in my troubleshooting I switched over to the standard 64-bit installer. I think that's what got sharing between computers to work.

Yes this is all on the same home network if that's what you mean. The router has multiple SSIDs (just the default setup of a standard, "5G" and guest networks) but I've made sure all devices are on the same one. You know, now that I mention that I'll try switching from 5G to standard to see if that makes a difference.

Just checked and my iPhone isn't seeing the shared library. So yeah, my problem seems strictly limited to the Apple devices. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Sorry to double post but I'll go ahead since it may help someone down the road. I did two things to get Home Sharing working on my Apple TV - the first may not be related but the second definitely is:

1) I switched SSIDs and discovered that one of my networks had been set to "Public". So I switched it to Private (this was called "Allow network discovery" or something like that in older versions of Windows)

2) I turned off Home Sharing in iTunes, then reactivated and signed in. This brought up a prompt asking whether I wanted to authorize this PC (which hadn't happened before during my initial setup, for whatever reason). I chose to Authorize, and whammo, I've got home sharing back.

So it seems the key is explicitly authorizing the DEVICE for home sharing, which is a separate thing from other iCloud/Apple ID stuff. And if it doesn't ask, you have to make it ask!

Thanks for chiming in, people!