Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

Hit detection for grabbing windows was flaky with no feedback on why it wasn't working. Some windows wouldn't capture correctly, either displaying nothing or never updating. Occasionally the windows would just disappear. I never even encountered the need for an unoccupied video out; that sounds insane. Of course in its defense it is a beta.

Ok, I did forget that windows will sometimes dissapear or move on me if I take my headset off and put it back on that is my bad. Also I did have some windows not display in VR, just giving a big error but that was in older builds of the software. Maybe my "flawless" experience is more based on me adapting to the flaws I have had and then forgetting about them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Knifegrab posted:

I'm getting frustrated there is still virtually no info on knuckles controllers general release :(

I had a Valve source say to expect news in October a few months back, so we could possibly be looking at a Holiday or Q1 release.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

RoboCop 3 posted:

I read that they were at one point offering those in a $299 pack. Is that no longer a thing?

As for Elite performance, I’m hoping a 1080 video card will get me a fairly consistently high frame rate. It runs perfectly right now on my 2560x1600 monitor, but I understand that VR is a different thing entirely. I’ve read that Elite is a particularly finicky bastard when it comes to VR performance.

Edit: For the record, I’ve not made any purchases yet. I obviously have more research to do. I just thought that the Microcenter sale on the HMD with a 30-day return period might be a good low-risk way to evaluate the Vive Pro. Of course, my only point of comparison would be the PSVR.

Hmm, I hadn't seen that, but it makes sense they would do something like that. I couldn't find anything on my search of HTC's website, but you could be totally right about a discount pack being around.

Yeah a 1080 should be absolutely fine for Elite. I mean you can always push super sampling more and more and more, but yeah, I can't see you haven't a lot of issues with a 1080.

Rift, Odyssey, Vive Pro, anything you get will be just fine for elite and I don't want to seem like i'm badmouthing the vive pro, its just I'm not so sure its 4-500 dollars better than the other options. They all have some strengths and weaknesses. The Odyssey requires no setup, just plug and play, but for games requiring motion controllers it won't track them outside of a cone in front of the headset due to its tracking. The Rift has the best controllers, the biggest sweet spot, and the most mature software, but for room scale games, you'll likely want a 3rd tracking sensor which is another 60 bucks, and it has a lower resolution than the other 2. The vive pro has the largest roomscale space out of the box, and no worries about tracking the controllers like with the Odyssey, but the controllers have a bit of a notorious failure rate, and the price is 4-500 more than the others.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Tom Guycot posted:

Rift, Odyssey, Vive Pro, anything you get will be just fine for elite and I don't want to seem like i'm badmouthing the vive pro, its just I'm not so sure its 4-500 dollars better than the other options. They all have some strengths and weaknesses. The Odyssey requires no setup, just plug and play, but for games requiring motion controllers it won't track them outside of a cone in front of the headset due to its tracking. The Rift has the best controllers, the biggest sweet spot, and the most mature software, but for room scale games, you'll likely want a 3rd tracking sensor which is another 60 bucks, and it has a lower resolution than the other 2. The vive pro has the largest roomscale space out of the box, and no worries about tracking the controllers like with the Odyssey, but the controllers have a bit of a notorious failure rate, and the price is 4-500 more than the others.
No, I definitely appreciate the input :). It turns out I was coming into this purchase with old information, and I assumed that the Rift and the Vive were the only two high-end players on the block. I'd heard of Samsung and Lenovo's offerings, but I assumed they were cheaper, intro-to-VR style models, not technology on par with the more expensive options.

By the way, guess what company makes the AMOLED displays on the Vive Pro? Samsung.

Edit: I've also read that the lenses on the $200 Oculus Go are so much clearer that a lot of people prefer it to the Rift. :psyduck:

RoboCop 3 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 16, 2018

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

RoboCop 3 posted:

Edit: I've also read that the lenses on the $200 Oculus Go are so much clearer that a lot of people prefer it to the Rift. :psyduck:

The Go is newer, and absolutely an improvement over the Rift in some ways. It's a standalone headset, though, not a PC headset, so it only runs phone apps. Technically you could stream Elite to it but you shouldn't.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

Ok, I did forget that windows will sometimes dissapear or move on me if I take my headset off and put it back on that is my bad. Also I did have some windows not display in VR, just giving a big error but that was in older builds of the software. Maybe my "flawless" experience is more based on me adapting to the flaws I have had and then forgetting about them...

Unpin all windows, leave them alone, face forward, reopen oculus dash, Repin windows. This will force everything back where it was pinned before.

I love dash. I can’t use it for stuff like stand out but omg beat Saber and stuff. Oh boy!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Taintrunner posted:

Cool, thanks! Just ordered 24 of ‘em with some adhesives.

If you can, try to find out what they're made of. Some of the cheaper acoustic foam sold online can range from "not flame retardant enough" to straight up flammable and can emit some real nasties when burned.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

RoboCop 3 posted:

No, I definitely appreciate the input :). It turns out I was coming into this purchase with old information, and I assumed that the Rift and the Vive were the only two high-end players on the block. I'd heard of Samsung and Lenovo's offerings, but I assumed they were cheaper, intro-to-VR style models, not technology on par with the more expensive options.

By the way, guess what company makes the AMOLED displays on the Vive Pro? Samsung.

Your initial instincts were right and you've been set off course by awesome goons being too helpful! The reality is that for extended long term use you want Rift or Vive Pro, because the Windows MR headsets are generally considered to be less comfortable or have design flaws (esp. the Odyssey, the fit of that thing is pretty crap).

If money is no object go for Vive Pro because it has the higher res and good comfort you need. Rift is just as good except resolution. As others have noted, there is a third party app that you can use with Vive that has some of the virtual desktop/Netflix window pinning features that Rift's core software gives you.

FYI, I don't know about others but the aliasing really gets to me in Elite in VR. Even with supersampling etc I couldn't get it down to a non-noticeable level, though I was using Rift and it may be better with the higher res HMDs.

Let us know how you find it when you've finally got to try it out!

e: also, prepare to have your mind totally loving blown by roomscale/motion controlled VR. Start off with The Lab.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

One thing I will say in the choice of Rift vs Vive, I just put my Rift up and couldn't be happier but I also don't wear glasses, did have to buy an extra camera, mounting hardware to put the cameras up high, USB 3 extention cable, and new PCI card for all the new sensors and my cost came to about the price of a Vive on its own.

There are other things to consider as well. Myself, I know I'm a moron who swings his controllers around and will probably break one eventually. When checking around for new controllers I see people having a harder time getting Vive replacements vs the Rift controllers. I could be absolutely wrong so please someone show me since when I checked all wands seemed out of stock unless you wanted to be price gouged on Amazon or eBay.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

El Grillo posted:

As others have noted, there is a third party app that you can use with Vive that has some of the virtual desktop/Netflix window pinning features that Rift's core software gives you.

I assume you’re talking about the Virtual Desktop add on thingy?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can't quite figure out the damage model for Gorn. I hear that you have two hit points, but how do you tell when you are hit? Eventually your vision gets blurry and you black out, but blacking out seems to happen on a timer rather than getting hit again

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can't quite figure out the damage model for Gorn. I hear that you have two hit points, but how do you tell when you are hit? Eventually your vision gets blurry and you black out, but blacking out seems to happen on a timer rather than getting hit again

I think they switched if from two hitpoints to one and a timed system where you die if you don't get a kill during the blurred vision phase.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yup.

Also, the new crab gauntlets are loving brutal. I wish they didn't automatically chomp through limbs after a few seconds*, but at least you can grab them by the traps and watch them helplessly flail about until you pull their limbs and head off. This game owns and I should seek therapy.

*maybe this isn't automatic and I'm doing something wrong?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for response, I tried it out and getting a kill does reset your health.

It's a lot of fun but my play area is a bit too small an I keep slapping the walls lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Green Puddin posted:

Myself, I know I'm a moron who swings his controllers around and will probably break one eventually.

Luckily when the knuckles controllers finally drop it will be difficult to break them on a wall, your hand will be taking all the damage and they fix themselves for free! :mmmhmm:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Thanks for response, I tried it out and getting a kill does reset your health.

It's a lot of fun but my play area is a bit too small an I keep slapping the walls lol

Yeah, Gorn is one of those games that is really hard to play without some decent space. With most games it's easy enough to just plant your feet and make due with a limited space, but Gorn really makes me want to move around. After a kill, I'll consciously stretch my arms out and find the Guardian walls so that I don't accidentally smack my wife when I engage the next guy.

I like Gorn's "swim" movement system. It wouldn't work well on a lot of games, but having both arms involved in a lunging attack (one arm pulling back to initiate movement, the other trusting my rapier forward) feels hella satisfying when I don't have the physical space to lunge. And frantically swim-sprinting at a downed guy to finish him feels more involved than just pushing the stick or teleporting.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So what do you do if you have an expensive monitor in the room? I have enough space to move around but that makes it a little worse sometimes because I don't feel as careful as I should be. Just go really conservative on the guardian settings? Are there some suggestions that I can use to block me from hitting it accidentally?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Conservative Guardian settings, especially around fragile things. I set my walls so that they are roughly an arms length from the wall/monitor/spouse. That way I won't hit something unless I really overextend.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Parallelwoody posted:

So what do you do if you have an expensive monitor in the room? I have enough space to move around but that makes it a little worse sometimes because I don't feel as careful as I should be. Just go really conservative on the guardian settings? Are there some suggestions that I can use to block me from hitting it accidentally?

Get a mat that is sized and located such that you can't reach anything even if you lean. Play barefoot and don't step off the mat. Also tape the mat so it won't move.

This way works so well I don't use guardian at all anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Get a big pillow and put it in front of the monitor just in case.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Pre-break everything and then you won't worry about breaking things in VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Roadie posted:

Pre-break everything and then you won't worry about breaking things in VR.

This is pro advice right here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want a VR game where you use motion controllers to throw wiimotes through a TV screen that’s displaying Wii sports

Nintendo you cowards make this happen

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Parallelwoody posted:

Set it on the floor under your desk when you have the googles on

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I want a VR game where you use motion controllers to throw wiimotes through a TV screen that’s displaying Wii sports

Nintendo you cowards make this happen

Speaking of throwing, I can't throw things for poo poo in VR. My release point is never right :(

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Shine posted:

Speaking of throwing, I can't throw things for poo poo in VR. My release point is never right :(

Yeah, my problem is that I want to throw and release with the whole hand, so the half-release of letting go of some fingers but not others really fucks with me. I can do a force-push type thing in Robo Recall, but any other throwing motion is just messed up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shine posted:

:same: the lack of weight means that I never know if my throw is going to land on or rocket off into the distance.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Parallelwoody posted:

I have an asymmetric setup for guardian so I can use the little dogleg for spacial orientation. I know where I am in the room and what's around me by keying my spacial perception off that. I know that one guardian wall is actually the couch so I'm ok to swing a bit into it, but another is the actual wall, so no can.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I find that having the floor outline of the play area rendered at all times is really good about keeping things from getting smashed. Granted that’s at the cost of some immersion.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I just finished mounting my Rift sensors in my new apartment, using the "in the corners 8 feet up" method from the Oculus blog, but I haven't done the setup yet and tried it out.

With Guardian is there a way to smooth out the border? I could never get a nice even line at my old place so my boundaries would have weird bumps where I would rather have a nice straight wall.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FBS posted:

I just finished mounting my Rift sensors in my new apartment, using the "in the corners 8 feet up" method from the Oculus blog, but I haven't done the setup yet and tried it out.

With Guardian is there a way to smooth out the border? I could never get a nice even line at my old place so my boundaries would have weird bumps where I would rather have a nice straight wall.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6iezwq/guardian_boundary_editor_customizestraighten_your/

enjoy.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FBS posted:

There was in fact an editor for the guardian boundary made. It let you change the shape, add remove points, and save and load setups. Do a search for "guardian boundary editor" and you should find it in the first link or 2.

EDIT: God drat... gently caress!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
RE: Elite

I have an Oculus and a 1070 and just recently upgraded from a 4th gen i5 to an 8th gen i7. I decided to bump up the supersampling and "HMD Image Quality" through Dr. Kaii's EDProfiler, because I could.

At 2x SS and 2x HMD, it was janky in stations so I turned it back down a bit (1.75 and 1.75), but dear god the crispness of the background stars was unreal. They turned from a boring static background into a real actual, "dear god I'm there" star field. So now I'm obsessing over upgrading my graphics card so I can go back to that feeling.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

For all the photogrammetry buffs here, check out this new open-source tool called Meshroom: https://alicevision.github.io/

I've tried running a few old photo sets through it and it seems to produce a lot better results than Photoscan or RealityCapture without any pre-processing at least. It doesn't seem to have any iterative workflow for aligning cameras though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Played through the entirety of Expect You To Die, all the levels were really good but as I saw my little filing rack with six slots fill up I got increasingly nervous. Yep the entire game has like six levels, which is a drat shame.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Gonna sell my odyssey. Noticed the scale is wrong in Talos principle, controllers useless for Pavlov, there's too much distortion and no seated games I'm on fire to play. Real shame given the visuals in general. Bizarre how Samsung/windows just threw away gen 1.5 vr with lazy descisions

How are the controllers useless for Pavlov? They work great for me.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

How are the controllers useless for Pavlov? They work great for me.

Having just sold my Odyssey for a Rift I agree with that guy playing Pavlov now. Turning around quickly, keeping hands steady when the cameras aren't in fov of the headset, jankiness in general are pretty much moot with outside sensors vs inside tracking.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VR Cover still the best option for replacement Rift face pad? I picked up a secondary Rift for the living room, and some extra pads would be nice.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Green Puddin posted:

Having just sold my Odyssey for a Rift I agree with that guy playing Pavlov now. Turning around quickly, keeping hands steady when the cameras aren't in fov of the headset, jankiness in general are pretty much moot with outside sensors vs inside tracking.

I haven't had (gameplay affecting) hand jitter or too much jankiness (though it is much harder to hit things with a sniper or some other weapon that requires steady aim, I'll agree with that).

Though you can turn the thumbsticks on for movement and rotation, which when combined with natural body turning can make turning around super quick and easy. It could probably be considered cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

AndrewP posted:

Last night I watched an entire half of Sunday Night Football on a huge screen pinned to the "wall" while playing Eleven Table Tennis, and it actually felt like a glimpse of the future.

How do you do this?