Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I vacuumed a bunch of spiders out of the front wheel wells and finally hammered on the brake calipers enough to get them free. They were really stuck. It took a lot of hammering and PB Blaster.

Wheel bearings seem fine, now that I can turn the hubs.

Now I can rebuild the calipers.

Context: I've had this 1985 RX7 GS up on blocks in my garage for like 5 years now. I stopped working on it because poo poo's stuck.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

The cut-out under the blend door that I replaced a while ago fell off in July. Today I got around to patching the hole so the position of the door actually matters again. I lost the plastic chunk, so I re-purposed the cardboard box last Friday's lasagne came in.
HVAC patch by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
HVAC patch in place by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I can 3D print you one, and by 3D print I mean I'll cut it out of a margarine lid.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Worked with Lord of Garbagemen on the Yellow 89 CRX Si. Completely redid the front brakes. Put in Brembo Rotors, Stoptech Steel Braided Cables, Hawk Pads and brand new Calipers as the old ones were toast.

Then he helped adjust the clutch engagement point so its no longer 1/2 and inch from the ceiling and is now half way up the clutch travel distance like it should be.

Then we got 1/2 of the rear strut lift supports replaced as they gave us the wrong part for one of them and a very stoned O'Reilly's employee was very confused on why I had to return a part. At least the hatch sort of stays up on its own. Time to get another one online instead.

Identified a few other small fixes I can work on myself another day. The CRX is so much better to drive with nicer brakes and a good feeling clutch. Thats after I had some guys custom mod the shift linkage to have short throws and no play in the shifter. It wen't from sloppy and unloved to pretty dang responsive.

Just need a new steering wheel and bushing and the car will be a pleasure to drive mechanically and then I can focus more on creature comfort stuff like leather seats, car audio etc.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

EvilBeard posted:

They make a Glossifier for plastidip in the cans, and it makes it a little less matte.

That was my original plan but they were out of it at the time. I may grab a can when I can find some and see if it helps though. Assuming its not too late.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

opengl128 posted:

That was my original plan but they were out of it at the time. I may grab a can when I can find some and see if it helps though. Assuming its not too late.

He phased it well. It won't actually be glossy, just less matte. Not a huge difference, IMO.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Just got back from a week long fishing trip with my old man. We got some stuff done in the last couple weeks before we left.

We got the steering column in, got it hooked up, and got the disc brakes on the front. We picked up a set of tight block hugger headers to make routing stuff easier. We have the radiator installed. Have to get the steering geometry figured out, get the brake booster mounted, and then we'll almost be ready to wire it and fire it.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

Just got back from a week long fishing trip with my old man. We got some stuff done in the last couple weeks before we left.

We got the steering column in, got it hooked up, and got the disc brakes on the front. We picked up a set of tight block hugger headers to make routing stuff easier. We have the radiator installed. Have to get the steering geometry figured out, get the brake booster mounted, and then we'll almost be ready to wire it and fire it.

This post is :krad:. That engine is a beautiful thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Looks like a stock '55 Chevy steering wheel, there. Neat!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Looks like a stock '55 Chevy steering wheel, there. Neat!

Yeah, my dad and his friend are very into TriFive Chevys (my dad owns 3, his friend owns 5). This was one they had lying around.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
Today I took my car to a dealership because the window wont roll all the way up. I can see why people have newer cars now, warranties are nice. Still not happy I had to bring it in in the first place, but whatever.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Chaosfirev posted:

Today I took my car to a dealership

Found the problem.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Chunjee posted:

Found the problem.

Hey, I've driven around a 28 year old sports car for the past 4 years. I've done my time, I'm more than willing to let someone else do the work for me for free for a while.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Spent all day cutting, polishing, waxing and detailing this Pajero. When I get a good shape but cosmetically-neglected car like this I feel like the voice at the beginning of Altered Beast as it emerges clean.

Tomorrow I've got to trim restore the plastic bits and clean the wheels. It's going to get hot new white letter tires eventually so I'm not cleaning those.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
WISE FWUM YOUR GWAVE

Looks sharp as poo poo, man.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Looks a lot better than any Pajero I have ever seen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gorgeous. Good job!

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Really motivates me to do the same to the CRX. Peice by peice I am bringing my cheap honda back to its former glory and beyod.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Reminds me that I really should do that to my Crown Vic, even with it's missing bits of paint.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
loving finally got the bearings out of the knuckle!

I completely ruined the first knuckle in my frustration and have been using it to test removal the other bearing races while I wait for the new one to arrive
I went and rented a real bearing puller/press, and the bearing on that shattered under the torque of trying to remove these loving races :wtc:

I couldn't even give it the finger, I was too shocked by what had happened

Thank god for the goon in the Stupid Questions thread, because the heat+refrigerant method showed me something that none of the guides, or even Ford's own documentation on bearing removal, showed me. The bearing races didn't fuse to walls of the knuckle, they fused to a machined ridge inside of the knuckle. There's a bearing spacer that slides onto the hub, but nothing even hinted at there being another bearing spacer being an integral part of the knuckle itself

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I told you it'd break. Good Job!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 14, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Beat the poo poo out of my Miata rear caliper with a sledge hammer. gently caress you floating pin design

If you don't know the Miata calipers are held in by pins and not screwed into the carrier. They can rust inside and get stuck.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Installed a new clutch master cylinder and stainless braided line I got from Mazdatrix forever ago. The old cylinder was the crustiest part I've ever seen.

I got a new clutch MC too but it looks like a pain to install, so if the old one still works I'll keep the new one around as a spare.

This car has a paper thin firewall. I'm afraid I'm going to just hulk it.

Current state:

Anyone know where I could get a reasonably priced door trim, I need one.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Spend 3½ hours changing gearbox and engine oil + teaching GF to change air filter.
30 min was annoying loving inaccessible oil filter not wanting to come off. gently caress modern compact engine design.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
We got the engine back in the car and started it, it sounds so much healthier than the old engine it's crazy and it started almost immediately. I need to grind down the alt bracket since it is just barely touching the alternator fins, a side effect of the taller block I guess. No issues so far but the real test is trying to make it move under its own power. Also gently caress the distributor bolt location forever, there isn't anywhere to get a wrench on it thanks to a million things next to it.

I am also waiting on the rearmost segment of the exhaust to come in. Apparently someone miswelded a hook so it couldn't be installed the correct direction so they're sending a new one that'll be here Monday. Aiming to get a test drive in in the next few days.

For the trim your best bet is to find an enthusiast group and ask them, parts tend to be cheaper than on the open market. Failing that ebay is sometimes good just use the part number if you have it to search. I got a complete exterior trim set for my VW for about $110 from eastern Europe.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 16, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

MrOnBicycle posted:

Spend 3½ hours changing gearbox and engine oil + teaching GF to change air filter.
30 min was annoying loving inaccessible oil filter not wanting to come off. gently caress modern compact engine design.

I wouldn’t know anything about that :gibs:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PaintVagrant posted:

I wouldn’t know anything about that :gibs:

Step one: remove engine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Step 2. Reinstallation is the reverse of removal.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

builds character posted:

Step one: remove engine.

....what...what.....what was the intended method of removal?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
If that's a factory oil cooler and filter specification, then what vehicle is this on again?

The FL400S fits on a lot of cars it wasn't ever intended for. I found i can put one on the 1ZZ-FE in my shitbox Corolla because it's huge compared to the tiny teacup filter it specs. My thinking there is that there will be less pressure drop across a big filter than a teeny one, and it will take longer to jam it full of crud and cause the filter to go into bypass. This is an $1100 "I ain't spending a dime on this heap more than I have to" car.

If you really want a big fat oversize filter than the Purolator L20195 will fit on a lot of engines it was never meant for too. The v6 camry I had (1MZ-FE) specced a L10241 but the Toyotanation guys all said the bigger filter'd fit and it did. Looked hilarious sticking out of the side of the engine but it was up out of harms way so there was little chance of it catching on anything or getting knocked off.

I've spent too much time on BITOG:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3516714/Re:_(4)_Virgin_Filters_Cut-(2)

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 16, 2018

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

It looks like a Fiesta. You basically have to unscrew it, tip it upright, and hope it Plinkos it's way down without spraying everything in oil.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah its a Fiesta ST. FL400s is superior in every way to the factory filter and is $5 at just about any parts store locally.

The plinko method is correct, the AC hardline is not easily moved and as soon as you unscrew it, everything is coated in oil and you often just rotate the filter end over end trying to remove it. All that being said, nor near as bad as an 8th gen civic si filter, which requires a wheel to be removed, worming yourself into the wheelwell, and spewing oil all over the axle/control arm as you fumblefuck the old filter off and the new one on.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Door Frame posted:

....what...what.....what was the intended method of removal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBVmXukx_Gk

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nothing makes changing oil easier than Subarus upside-down-in-it's-own-cup oil filter fitting, and fitting a Fumoto valve drain plug on my wife's Impreza.

Done in literally a minute or two depending on the temperature.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 17, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Detailed this guy and shoved it in the warehouse. Tires straight up need to be replaced, can't see it from here but there is age cracks all over. Still, deep blue/purple Jimny is pretty boss.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Changed spark plugs, oil, air and cabin filters on my echo.

It was idling a bit rough. The air filter was mostly grey on the in-side. The cabin filter wasn't even there. The cabin filter was larger than the air filter.

Found why it was idling rough. Drives much smoother now!

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
You guys should come change my oil filter.

There is no underside access, the power steering lines fill the gap between the engine and radiator below it and the A/C lines are right above it. That is the best picture I could get of it.

Speaking of my Golf, it is back together and it drives! It shifts so smooth now I thought it wasn't working at first when I didn't feel it jerk from 1st to 2nd.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Are any of the oil filter relocation kits that they make decent?

Because I mean, gently caress that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vanagoon posted:

Are any of the oil filter relocation kits that they make decent?

Because I mean, gently caress that.

I don't see why they wouldn't be, they're pretty simple pieces - spin-on adapter with a couple of AN ports, AN lines to a remote filter mount.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Finally got rid of my TurboSmart 50/50 blowoff valve. I got sick of hearing it go off every time I even thought about lifting my foot from the gas pedal. Replaced it with the Mountune recirculation valve. So much better. RIP douche whoosh 2017-2018. Taking it in on Saturday to get that front crank seal leak taken care of...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Wasabi the J posted:

Nothing makes changing oil easier than Subarus upside-down-in-it's-own-cup oil filter fitting, and fitting a Fumoto valve drain plug on my wife's Impreza.

Done in literally a minute or two depending on the temperature.

My 4runner is the same way. Thanks Toyota for thinking of me. Top side filter with a catch cup as well as a fumoto valve and a slight lift on the front makes oil changes a breeze. No jack stands, no mess.