Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

RCarr posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a medic class that can freely go around and help out their fallen comrades

If you don't frantically run around from skull emblem to skull emblem, reviving everyone and not even caring where the enemy is, you're playing medic class wrong :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

shut up blegum posted:

If you don't frantically run around from skull emblem to skull emblem, reviving everyone and not even caring where the enemy is, you're playing medic class wrong :colbert:

BF3 assault:
HK G3A3
M26 MASS (glitched)
Defib

I've never had so much fun with a glitch/bug in my entire life.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

red19fire posted:

Well I’m pretty sure ww1 was pre-Geneva convention so it’s perfectly OK to murk medical personnel.

You are mistaken. Of course, not all parties involved in the war had signed on to the treaty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Geneva_Convention

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

FastestGunAlive posted:

I think the panzerfaust damage to tanks is fine alone but it’s a real game changer now that people don’t show up on the minimap when shooting. Combined with the slow turret traverse speed, yes I think tanks need some tweaks before release. However, neither of the beta maps are ideal for armor.

Hopefully in the next beta we see a map with a larger vehicle footprint. I want to see jeeps and motorcycles flying all over the place. The halftracks were cool (although I hope they are just giving the German half track to the Allied side as a beta placeholder). I enjoyed the beta but I did not necessarily get that “battlefield” feel of combined arms chaos

Tanks seem pretty good to me, and that's coming from both the receiving and sending ends of the panzerfaust. The MG just annihilates dudes. My one complaint is that the suspension seems very rigid. I'm not getting the "tank tread" feel of tanks in other BF games. More like driving a tank in Call of Duty mission where it's super clunky because they don't really do vehicle combat

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, I hope every map in V is like the ones from the beta. They were actually alright, minus point A on the British side of the city map because there were too many trains and could hide ten million people. The German's H was a place you couldn't hide, at all. It was too skewed. People were complaining about where the big open tank battle spaces were and all I have to say is, gently caress you.

90% of BF1's maps are trash. Horribly designed trash. I say this as someone who likes the game a lot. One, maybe two, of the DLC maps are good while the rest are loving awful. Spawning miles away from your first point, wide open spaces, running for 15 minutes as the battlefield changes around you or massive wide-open spaces where sniping is king because there's no cover, or meatgrinders where it's utterly near impossible to take from the defenders. It's awful. :dice: flat-out did not know how to design any of the maps for that game. The ones that are even remotely good I'm writing up as a happy accident, or they outsourced it, or an intern made it and put it into the game without anyone noticing before he was brought out back and sacked because he was good at his job.

So thank your lucky stars that the two beta maps are good, had cover and are compact enough to allow for moment-to-moment action while big enough for tanks to make a difference. Or who knows, the beta maps will end up being the best in the game while the rest are the same garbage from 1.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Julius CSAR posted:

Tanks seem pretty good to me, and that's coming from both the receiving and sending ends of the panzerfaust. The MG just annihilates dudes. My one complaint is that the suspension seems very rigid. I'm not getting the "tank tread" feel of tanks in other BF games. More like driving a tank in Call of Duty mission where it's super clunky because they don't really do vehicle combat

A few people have said the same about the machine gun. It just wasn’t clicking for me though. However I only spent 3 or 4 rounds in a tank, I spent most my beta time as infantry, so I may not have gotten the feel down. I hear you on the clunky feel as well. It felt like I was driving the crappy BF1 tanks still, I expected them to handle just a little better. Not being able to stop and reverse/accelerate on a dime anymore is something I can respect

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I suppose it’s too late in development to change V’s weapon upgrade path system. at the least be able to revert or unequip the more drastic changes to a gun like a changed fire rate/bayonet/removable magazine.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ended up reinstalling and playing a few rounds of BC2 thanks to recent talk about it. Hey, you know what? BC2's still pretty drat good.

One caveat though, man is its netcode rotten.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mordja posted:

Ended up reinstalling and playing a few rounds of BC2 thanks to recent talk about it. Hey, you know what? BC2's still pretty drat good.

One caveat though, man is its netcode rotten.

BC2 made me look at the BC spinoff with good eyes. Before I was "Conquest 64 players, forever; or is not BF", but BC2 rush mode convinced me that life exist outside of conquest, made me bimodecurious.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

BC2 is still very amazing classes and teams are easy to identify guns are really well balanced team work feels natural, smoke grenades are perfect

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Didn't see this posted, dev feedback from the official page:

Squad play and Matchmaking – Several changes are already in place and additional improvements will be made to secure the best possible launch experience.

Attrition – Scarcity of ammo and health is something we want to get just right, and the Open Beta gave us a lot of info on how to balance it.

Visibility – Distance haze, lighting, general contrast and other visibility aspects are being tinkered with, letting you see your enemies better in the world.

Death Experience – We’re adjusting bleed out and spawn times to make your virtual deaths as good as virtual deaths can be.

Vehicles – Damage states, movement, and weaponry of tanks and other vehicles are being tweaked.

TTK and TTD – We’re adjusting automatic weapons to make the Time to Kill and Time to Death as fair and fun as possible.

Progression and Customization – We’re working on making the user journey one that’s smooth and personal.

Chat Profanity Filter on PC – We are evaluating the Open Beta feedback and are making many adjustments for launch.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Chomp8645 posted:

or those ridiculous "ambient" effects from For Honor with cherry petals and flame effects just

coming out of my churchill

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FastestGunAlive posted:

Didn't see this posted, dev feedback from the official page:

Squad play and Matchmaking – Several changes are already in place and additional improvements will be made to secure the best possible launch experience.

Attrition – Scarcity of ammo and health is something we want to get just right, and the Open Beta gave us a lot of info on how to balance it.

Visibility – Distance haze, lighting, general contrast and other visibility aspects are being tinkered with, letting you see your enemies better in the world.

Death Experience – We’re adjusting bleed out and spawn times to make your virtual deaths as good as virtual deaths can be.

Vehicles – Damage states, movement, and weaponry of tanks and other vehicles are being tweaked.

TTK and TTD – We’re adjusting automatic weapons to make the Time to Kill and Time to Death as fair and fun as possible.

Progression and Customization – We’re working on making the user journey one that’s smooth and personal.

Chat Profanity Filter on PC – We are evaluating the Open Beta feedback and are making many adjustments for launch.

I like how there isn't a single concrete detail in this whole thing. Every line is "we're working on it!"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah that doesn't inspire any hope in me, but I'll do what I do with every BF game: buy it for $15 in a year and a half when it's really good

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm hoping we get a B-17 as a squad call in. Also I hope the American attack plane is an A-26.

Also I wish it was late November for some reason.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I joined the BUTT clan through the app. Is that still a thing? Is it full?
Am I too late? Help
My PSN name on there is bdb1001 by the way

blackknight
Oct 16, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

I joined the BUTT clan through the app. Is that still a thing? Is it full?
Am I too late? Help
My PSN name on there is bdb1001 by the way

I’m also wondering what the clan/platoon is and if people still play on ps4 like this guy.

My PSN is carlsagan42069.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm online like 3-4 days a week still, on BUTT platoon. PSN is Guillermus_ if any of you newcomers want to add me to send me invites.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Actual substance to the dev comments now:

TLDW;

Tweaking attrition:

• ⁠Devs want to nudge attrition in the right direction but still want it to be fully part of the game.
• ⁠More ammo on spawn.
• ⁠More max ammo capacity.
• ⁠Ammo tweaking will be weapon specific (not all weapons may be affected, some more than others).
• ⁠Medpack on spawn.

Improving visibility:

• ⁠Adding a haze to the background to make enemies stand out. (Example by u/CrafterOfSwords)
• ⁠Fixing some lighting issues (notably in Rotterdam).
• ⁠Fine tuning lighting in specific locations.

Death experience and pacing:

• ⁠Devs agree with the community that current death timer made the game feel too slow.
• ⁠Devs want highs and lows moments in the game, but find that the high moments are not high enough (this is partially caused by soldier downtime). They want moments of pure chaos.
• ⁠Tweaking "bleeding out" timer, you are not punished anymore if you decide to hang on, respawn timer will be reduced accordingly.

Audio immersion:

• ⁠Fixed the audio bugs which contributed to make the game too silent. Audio should feel like war once again.

Time to kill and time to death:

• ⁠Trying to find that sweet spot to cater to both players who love it or hate it.
• ⁠From the data, players have learned to move closer to cover to avoid getting killed too easily.
• ⁠Certain weapons stand out (more effective at most engagement distances), "won't name specifics *cough*STG*cough*". Those are gonna be tweaked to "bring them into the fold".
• ⁠Confirmed Netcode issues in regards to Time to death, "you receive more damage than you should be in one update, which is due to packet loss, netcode, delays and high rate of fire weapons". Currently looking into fixing this.

Vehicles (Tanks):

• ⁠Beta testers felt that the tanks were too slow/heavy and not offensive enough against infantry, but dev says the more agile/anti-infantry tanks weren't in the open beta, as well as anti-aircraft vehicles.
• ⁠Devs were happy with the tuning on the new turret system on the heavy tanks, but plan to make the turret turn faster on the medium and lighter tanks. Light tanks will have a "very fast" turret turning speed.
• ⁠Devs want the tanks to be the "dragons of our game", once they show up on the field, "everyone should relate to that". If you see a friendly tank, you should push alongside it, if you see an enemy tank, you should cower in fear.
• ⁠Heavier tanks are robust, hard to take down, but slow, less effective against infantry, more effective against other vehicles, and the opposite is true for lighter tanks, more agile, used to kill infantry, harass and flank.
• ⁠Tweaked systemic damage (such as canon disabled or track disabled), they want to reward players who chip away at tanks without necessarily destroying them, but don't want to penalize tank drivers too much, leaving them with nothing to do. Added turret damage which slows down turret turning speed, as well as engine damage, which cripples its movement.

Vehicles (Airplanes):

• ⁠Beta feedbacks tell that the difference between the two fighter planes was too great and people didn't like it. Devs are taking step to make them much more similar and better than they were in open beta.
• ⁠Overall players found fighter planes not agile enough.
• ⁠Not being able to acquire ground targets as easily as in previous titles.
• ⁠Players most happy with the BF 109 plane, but devs say even that one wasn't were we needed it to be.
• ⁠Tweaked visibility for pilot and gunner, extended spotting range. "We want planes to participate in the ground combat".
• ⁠Dev excited about the broader spectrum of vehicle classes in BFV, says it was a bit lacking in BF1.
• ⁠Talking about anti-aircraft tanks, such as the Flakpanzer and Valentine MK 1 AA, they have "tons of canons and tons of bullets flying through the sky".

Next episode within two weeks.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

FastestGunAlive posted:

Actual substance to the dev comments now:

Every single one of these are all good changes. Man I cant wait to play this.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The beta was so fun and everything they're saying and showing about what the game will be both at release and beyond sounds so goddamn good, I'm gonna be sad and mad if the external factors cause it to sell like poo poo and they give up on it after like six months or a year.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Every single one of these are all good changes. Man I cant wait to play this.

I am not a fan of the grey haze to make models stand out. It looked poo poo in the video.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah I wish they’d left ammo alone but whatever. Not thrilled about the haze. I liked how vibrant Rotterdam was in the beta. Looks the same as turning down draw distance and gently caress paying for a worse looking game if it’s not performance-related.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

The haze is a real weird solution to that problem, although i had no issue with seeing player models.

Did they say if it will be optional?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Vehicles (Tanks):
• ⁠Devs want the tanks to be the "dragons of our game", once they show up on the field, "everyone should relate to that". If you see a friendly tank, you should push alongside it, if you see an enemy tank, you should cower in fear.

I read this has the devs misunderstanding their own game.

Tanks are not a event to entertain infantry. Like the train in BF1. BF is supposed to be a game with all the hardware of war, planes, tanks, infantry, boats. Not a infantry + other stuff game.

gently caress infantry combat, the most boring thing on earth.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tei posted:

Certainly their goal for tanks is kinda lol with the current implementation. You can't have a "dragon" that shakes up the whole game if that dragon is actually a thing which both teams have, often in multiples, respawning multiple times per phase lol. The BF1 Behemoths were much more appropriate for this role but it doesn't seem there is anything like them here, unless they've kept a surprise for us tightly under wraps.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

Tanks are not a event to entertain infantry. Like the train in BF1. BF is supposed to be a game with all the hardware of war, planes, tanks, infantry, boats. Not a infantry + other stuff game.

It's WWII now. Need maps with more than 2 tanks per side. BFV seems, at least what has been shown so far, to be really lackluster with vehicles. Even Arras seems to have only two tanks per side? BF1's lack of vehicles compared to BF4 was kinda understandable with it being WW1, but come on with BFV we need to go back to maps with the amount of vehicles like Golmud: 5 tanks per side and all the assorted vehicles on top of that. And lots more transport vehicles please I beg you dice.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tei posted:

gently caress infantry combat, the most boring thing on earth.

War Thunder and World of Tanks might be better for you. Don't want to be a dick but infantry is the pilar. Just play BF1 and see out of 32 players on a team, the amount of players that can be in vehicles. Same with previous ones.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Guillermus posted:

War Thunder and World of Tanks might be better for you. Don't want to be a dick but infantry is the pilar. Just play BF1 and see out of 32 players on a team, the amount of players that can be in vehicles. Same with previous ones.

Is okay for you to say what you are saying.

But is a okay thing for me to say we use to have a balance here in BF, where neither infantry or vehicles made the other side pointless. Is okay to me to ask for that balance to continue and for BF to continue to have vehicles and infantry, and not one at the expense of others.

video is not related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aBP-c28_1M

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Rolling Scissors posted:

It's WWII now. Need maps with more than 2 tanks per side. BFV seems, at least what has been shown so far, to be really lackluster with vehicles. Even Arras seems to have only two tanks per side? BF1's lack of vehicles compared to BF4 was kinda understandable with it being WW1, but come on with BFV we need to go back to maps with the amount of vehicles like Golmud: 5 tanks per side and all the assorted vehicles on top of that. And lots more transport vehicles please I beg you dice.

Yeah, exactly, vehicles made the BF experience what it is. They put so much work into airplanes, allow multiples of them on the field, but limit tanks? It's crazy. They weren't just a major part of combat, they also played into cap strategy, when tank spawn control was a reward for capping specific points.

Guillermus posted:

Same with previous ones.
No, actually.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Guillermus posted:

Uh, this isn't the case at all?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My guess is the scenario limits the anti-tank weaponry which makes tanks hard to kill. The easy balancing method is to limit them.

I agree large scale vehicle deployment is what differentiates BF from COD.
Hence why I prefer modern settings with lots of effective anti-vehicle gear where you also get more vehicles in turn.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
My ideal Battlefield would be a remake of 1942. Tank battles on El Alamein, there's nothing better.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Agreed BF4 Golmud Railway with a full tank platoon plus attachments for both sides is in my top 5 fav BF maps

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Julius CSAR posted:

Agreed BF4 Golmud Railway with a full tank platoon plus attachments for both sides is in my top 5 fav BF maps

Yeah never understood why some people hate that map. Visually it’s drab but from a gameplay perspective it’s just about perfect.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BF4 had some excellent maps and some real stinkers. The key is that tanks and infantry have to work together. BF4 has the synergy mostly figured out, then threw it all away in BF1.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Bums me out when people talk about BF4 in the past tense. It's still very much alive and well and probably will hold a decent player count up until if/when they make another modern or futuristic Battlefield.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have 700+ hours in some games like the Planetsides, but to a BF game I can't give more than the first two months.

After two months I feel I have experienced all theres to experience in the new game, and then other fat cool game appear that capture my attention, and another after it, and another, and I forgot about the last BF, and I wait for the next BF game.

BF don't feel to me like a game where you would put that much hours. The maps are not that big. In the end, everyone would learn the best paths to attack, and instead of innovation, the game will move through the motions.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Kind of a weird way of looking at things but you do you. BFV should be perfect for you since they're going for a live service model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Noctone posted:

Kind of a weird way of looking at things but you do you. BFV should be perfect for you since they're going for a live service model.

I dunno. Anyone have a elevator pitch to sell me BFV?.