Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We are taking a 5 hour trip by plane (including 1 hour layover) with what will be our 4 month old in October. You guys have any tips or insight about flying with an infant?

Doing the same but with a 2 month old in a few weeks - so subscribing.

Also - I finally found a parenting book that I can read, enjoy and made it past page 20. Bringing Up Bebe is a very good read and it basically boils down to chill the gently caress out, don't type A a baby and treat your baby like a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Bring something for baby to suck on while plane is taking off and landing- nurse, or a bottle of formula, or something. Babies those ages should probably sleep a lot, so long as they have full bellies. The white noise is pretty nice!

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Bardeh posted:

First day back at school after summer holidays for my 5 year old yesterday - everything's fine. He happily goes in, and chatters in the afternoon about his friends, how he had fun playing with them etc.

Second day back today - full on meltdown, won't get dressed, won't get in the car, foot stomping, shouting, screaming.

:confused:

Is it possible it dawned on the kiddo "Oh crap, I have to go EVERYDAY? AGAIN???" Especially since it was right after summer holidays.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Bardeh posted:

Yeah I asked him. All he had to talk about was how him and Stanley played together during Own Learning Time and how him and Jack went and found Tommy at lunch time and Tommy had ants on his shirt, but Tommy liked the ants and didn't even brush them off. So, basically, it seemed like he enjoyed himself. :shrug:

I asked him about his new teacher, he said she was nice too. And today and yesterday, he's been happy and fine when I picked him up from school. So I'm just gonna chalk it up to kids.txt and keep an eye on things and have a word with his teacher if it keeps happening, I guess.

I work with kids a bit younger than yours, and it's completely normal for my bunch to come back the first day completely happy, then the next day come to us upset and angry about it. We've had a lot of it this week. It's totally normal, it's a big change for him, he's realised that his routine is changing again and school is an everyday thing after his long holiday. You know that he settles quickly, he has a lot of stories to tell you - give it a few days, but by next week he'll be used to the new normal. I don't think there's any need to speak to his teacher unless it goes on for more than a couple of weeks. They might be able to give you advice about separation, if needs be.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

BonoMan posted:

Also we had a milestone this past weekend. Our first public barfing!
That sounds pretty bad. But I'll take a public barfing with a restroom with no towels over barfing in the car. Three times so far.

The biggest lesson I learned was, "Never feed him blueberries if he complains about an upset stomach."

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Been having a lot of success with a new napping technique. We now place him in his crib awake (after he's drowsy and has had a nap routine) and then place our hands on his chest and legs. There's tears and struggling, but far less than you'd think and often falls right asleep

We don't cosleep or anything but he still would only fall asleep in our arms, and as I posted about itt before it's a nightmare putting a sleeping baby in a crib, at least at this age (5mo). His naps aren't much longer with this method but the time putting him to sleep has been cut by like 75% and I feel we're finally, finally making progress toward more independent sleeping

I've also done the hand trick when he wakes up in the middle of the night. It's been a gamechanger, so maybe consider it for your own little guys

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

WarpDogs posted:

Been having a lot of success with a new napping technique. We now place him in his crib awake (after he's drowsy and has had a nap routine) and then place our hands on his chest and legs. There's tears and struggling, but far less than you'd think and often falls right asleep

We don't cosleep or anything but he still would only fall asleep in our arms, and as I posted about itt before it's a nightmare putting a sleeping baby in a crib, at least at this age (5mo). His naps aren't much longer with this method but the time putting him to sleep has been cut by like 75% and I feel we're finally, finally making progress toward more independent sleeping

I've also done the hand trick when he wakes up in the middle of the night. It's been a gamechanger, so maybe consider it for your own little guys

This sounds great! I think I'll try it in a few weeks. We have a 6 month old who only naps in our arms (but is pretty good about going to sleep on his own at night) and we've not been able to do more than 1 day of any sort of nap training before we can't deal anymore and just give up.

Any more nap suggestions would be nice to have if people have them!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My poor little guy. He's been going to daycare for almost a month and it never gets easier for him to get separated from us. :smith: The ladies at Daycare say he's the sweetest and he listens and does well after we're gone so it's not a worry, more just sad to see him cry.

BonoMan posted:

Also we had a milestone this past weekend. Our first public barfing!

I'm gonna be so useless when this happens. Barfing in general just turns my stomach but seeing it\smelling it just amps it up to 11. :sigh:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm gonna be so useless when this happens. Barfing in general just turns my stomach but seeing it\smelling it just amps it up to 11. :sigh:

I thought I would be too as I'm the exact same. But when it's your kid who is clearly not feeling well and in a distress vulnerable situation... your mind just turns all that off and you just want nothing more than to help them and make them feel better. It's quite the mental turnaround.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Have a dog that eats cat turds and then barfs it all over the carpet that you need to deal with and then human vomit is mild in comparison.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

Can confirm the hand trick is pretty great. I'm to the point (13 months) where I can just drop baby in the crib at 8:30 and spend 5 minutes with a hand on her chunky baby leg and walk out. She might cry for a minute or two but rarely requires additional comfort.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I turned around for all of two minutes yesterday and the boys got into the pantry, got down some cookies, and had already stuffed their mouths full. I look forward to future cooperative hijinks. :allears:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I learned why several toys seemed to be missing, found them in the bottom of the rainwater barrel. I put a lid on that and shuttered it good after I found them tossing stones into it, and so that's were they had been for a few weeks.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The real reason cozy coupes have cup holders...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When my daughter outgrew her baby car seat, we bought a couple of these Graco seats for our cars. My mother-in-law wants to buy a car seat for us so we don't have to schlep as much stuff when we fly out. I really don't like the seats we've got. The LATCH belts are a huge pain in the rear end to deal with and cinching the 5-point harness isn't as easy as I'd like. What are some recommendations for a relatively inexpensive toddler car seat?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Edit: nm misread!

How much does your kid weigh?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Alterian posted:

Edit: nm misread!

How much does your kid weigh?

I think she's around 35 now. Still rear-facing for now, but a convertible seat would be nice.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Depending on how old and your kid’s maturity, the ridesafer vest could be an option. We’ve used it for traveling and it is amazing in that aspect. We didn’t have any issues with using it and going back to rear facing in her regular seat.

If the seat you’re looking for is to replace your current one (not one to just have at grandma’s), I’ve only had Britax seats. They now have an Essentials line that isn’t as pricey as their other seats. Their rear facing limit is 40 pounds, same as their regular line up.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I think Target is still having their carseat trade in event, so that might be worth checking out. Might be able to get an old car seat off a buy nothing group to trade in if you don't have onekicking around.

I found a Britax on super sale on Amazon and had it shipped to my mom's house so we don't have to schlep one there. We just use a CARES harness on the plane.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I'm definitely not having tons of anxiety over my kindergartners homework and test scores two weeks into the school year. That'd be crazy.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Wtf?

My kid's kindergarten teacher doesn't give homework. And test scores??

Wtf??

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
That does seem a bit intense, so I can see how that would get some anxiety going. My oldest didn't have homework in kindergarten beyond his reading logs. His teacher introduced some test-like stuff at the end of the year to get the kids used to the idea, but it wasn't used in an evaluative fashion.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Unless it's something like "have your parents sign this" or "bring in something for show and tell" kindergarteners should not be getting homework.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My five and a half year old, in UK year 1, has just started getting his first homework. It's definitely not graded, though, just simple reading and writing exercises that we can do together at the weekend. He really enjoys it. Grading and test scores in Kindergarten is loving nuts, what country are you in?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I’m in SC, my kindergartener’s homework so far is to read/be read to & practice his sight words. There’s nothing that’s being graded or checked on. Some nights we don’t do anything except read at bedtime. Some nights he seems happy to practice writing a couple of words. I’m not pushing it or stressing over it, he’s 5.

They do have some standardized testing that starts this week. It is only used as a baseline for the teachers to see what each kid knows already. It’s done on iPads, so I’m pretty sure the kids won’t even know it’s a test.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

We do COGAT testing in kindergarten. It's just pictures and poo poo and used to check for GT poo poo

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

devmd01 posted:

The real reason cozy coupes have cup holders...

Indy goons! Used to buy my beermaking supplies from the guys that run brewlink... until they moved their business out of the city. Having lax open container laws makes walks with the kiddos extra pleasant!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looks like our boys are gonna have to get used to take the bicycles to school when they get older, they are going to have about 2.2 kilometers to school then. They will probably get rides from me perhaps until they are 8-9 though because they will need to be in morning school and after school programs until they are old enough to be at home for a few hours on their own. The road there has got a bicycle road all the way except the last bit to our house, so it should be pretty safe.

Just thinking about this because they are 5 now, next year is preschool one year and then 1st grade when they are 7 and they called from the municipality to explain about this and that there are two schools in our region, we're actually in the district for another school that is farther away and 180 degrees in the wrong direction from where we go when we leave for work, but it's over 3 km away so we qualify for free taxi rides. But that does not allow for morning and after school programs anyway so we might as well go for the school that is in our direction anyway. When they get older they can swap schools and get free taxi rides, or take their bikes to the nearer school. I think he latter is more likely.

Also seems like Daniel has got something of a violent streak lately, he lashes out, perhaps impulsively or because he doesn't fully know how to get on with other kids aside from his twin brother, and now the daycare ladies have assigned themselves days when they are the dedicated watcher of him. I hope he grows out of this fast :(

Also they turned 5 a few weeks ago, we spoiled them good this time:

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Questioning on parenting costs after daycare.
People keep telling us that kids costs just as much on a monthly basis after they move on to kindergarten +. For two kids we are paying about $1500 / month.

No one really given us a straight answer of WHAT costs so much to add up to $750/kid/month other than "wait until they do activities." Even if we toss them in activities, it's not even half of that amount, or seeming even a third for that matter adding it up. Food is an increase too but they're not each going to eat $300/month extra from what we're budgeting now.

Anyone with older kids give advice how the finances transfer to normal life costs for each once daycare is done?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Duxwig posted:

People keep telling us that kids costs just as much on a monthly basis after they move on to kindergarten +. For two kids we are paying about $1500 / month.

No one really given us a straight answer of WHAT costs so much to add up to $750/kid/month other than "wait until they do activities." Even if we toss them in activities, it's not even half of that amount, or seeming even a third for that matter adding it up. Food is an increase too but they're not each going to eat $300/month extra from what we're budgeting now.

Anyone with older kids give advice how the finances transfer to normal life costs for each once daycare is done?

Probably not enough to make up the difference, but I know for us we'll *still* need some sort of paid after school care. Our daughter starts K next year and we'll have to pay someone to take care of her from after she gets out of that to when we get off of work.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I have heard that same bs and when I ask if they also paid $2100 a month like I currently do for 2 kids everyone always answers no.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Before and after school care is over 60% less than full time day care. When my eldest went to full time kindergarten it was like getting a raise.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gravitee posted:

Before and after school care is over 60% less than full time day care. When my eldest went to full time kindergarten it was like getting a raise.

Haha, yeah. After care for two kids at our public elementary school runs $600/mo for two kids. Compared to twice that for one kid at daycare..

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well I clearly said it wouldn't make up the difference... But was a cost to factor in. Harumph

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Duxwig posted:

I've heard crap like that too, and I am pretty sure it's BS and those people are just bad with money and spend anything extra they get. So they themselves can't see the difference. There will be "other costs" depending on where you live.

For us it was: Uniforms, after school care, subscription to reading eggs (Kindy), school supplies ($80/year but not at the new school), school (not-so) voluntary contributions, excursions and fund-raising (if you participate). There are also other variable costs like 'kids are older so they ask for more things and the things they ask for get more expensive' or 'horse riding lessons/expensive activities', etc. However, you are the parent and can make a decision on those things. There won't be anything like the mandatory child care fees.

Mind you, my eldest is only 6 years old, so I can only speak up to this age.

On an unrelated topic, I found this app (currently free in the google store) called "Teach your monster to read" which is seriously fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Kitiara fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 28, 2018

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
It could also be that these people get their kids into expensive activities like hockey, dance, or travel sports. That poo poo gets expensive.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

My child would more accurately be called a demon, is there an app for that?

Speaking of, he just started speech therapy but it's basically just doing more of what I'm already doing. I knew that there wasn't going to be a magic method to catch him up but I guess I was hoping for it nonetheless. At least he knows the important words like TV, cookie and roomba.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I can’t wait until we’re all olds and we’re all trying to figure out why our kids keep saying “No, gently caress you Dad!”

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

GoreJess posted:

I’m in SC, my kindergartener’s homework so far is to read/be read to & practice his sight words.
Yeah, we were asked to practice sight words too in K. We just said lol no. poo poo is dumb. No new 1st grade homework that I can tell so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

gvibes posted:

Yeah, we were asked to practice sight words too in K. We just said lol no. poo poo is dumb. No new 1st grade homework that I can tell so far.

We were asked the same in Kindy and I went with "lol no" at first too.

However, the school broke it down into sets of 10 words and assigned them colors (red, blue, purple, etc) and my daughter felt like crap when she noticed other kids were into their green words and she was still in red or whatever. So we had to practice them with her every day for months. On the other hand, it made her be the one keen to do the learning and it was pretty adorable watching her reach a new set of words.

We're back to no homework in 1st grade too. I can't tell if it's because we changed schools or if this is common for year 1, but it's nice. She seems to be doing even better without them.