Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mandy was the rare horror-comedy with zero levity, the comparison to Hobo With A Shotgun is very well earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

That would make sense.

What sort of thing other than the John Wick movies fit into the category? Atomic Blonde, off the top of my head. What else?

just off the top of my head you've got Peppermint, The Accountant, 24 Hours to Live, Red Sparrow, Proud Mary, The Villainess, and American Assassin

(one of which tbf is Korean but still)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

just off the top of my head you've got Peppermint, The Accountant, 24 Hours to Live, Red Sparrow, Proud Mary, The Villainess, and American Assassin

(one of which tbf is Korean but still)

Surely a bit more like Raidsploitation? :v:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mandy was the rare horror-comedy with zero levity, the comparison to Hobo With A Shotgun is very well earned.

If Cheddar Goblin isn't levity, then I don't know what is!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

therattle posted:

I think it’s “turbulent priest*”?

Well, uh, clearly I was quoting the venerable James Comey, rather than that limey Henry II.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Surely a bit more like Raidsploitation? :v:

I feel like Raidsploitation is a bit of a separate category, possibly a supercategory that Wixploitation occupies depending on how ypu look at it.

Like, if I had to name one central hallmark of Wixploitation, it's that the premise centers around a renowned badass of some stripe (typically a criminal, sometimes a spy or cop) either avenging a wrongdoing against them or, alternately, getting pushed into a desperate situation by external forces. Often, the setting will also be in some way hyperreal or bizarre or comic-book-y, though this isn't quite as strict a requirement.

Purgesploitation is more obvious: if it's a movie where the central premise is "something happens that makes everybody in an area fuckin' lose it and start rampaging," it's Purgesploitation. Meet the Blacks, Mayhem and Assassination Nation would all be examples.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Upgrade and Hotel Artemis are also two super recent examples of Wixploitation that I could name (though Upgrade fucks with the formula by essentially splitting the badass and the revenge-seeker into two characters that share a body).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

If Cheddar Goblin isn't levity, then I don't know what is!

Alright I'll give you this one.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Upgrade and Hotel Artemis are also two super recent examples of Wixploitation that I could name (though Upgrade fucks with the formula by essentially splitting the badass and the revenge-seeker into two characters that share a body).

I'd say Upgrade is more in the tradition of RoboCop than John Wick

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like Raidsploitation is a bit of a separate category, possibly a supercategory that Wixploitation occupies depending on how ypu look at it.

Like, if I had to name one central hallmark of Wixploitation, it's that the premise centers around a renowned badass of some stripe (typically a criminal, sometimes a spy or cop) either avenging a wrongdoing against them or, alternately, getting pushed into a desperate situation by external forces. Often, the setting will also be in some way hyperreal or bizarre or comic-book-y, though this isn't quite as strict a requirement.

Purgesploitation is more obvious: if it's a movie where the central premise is "something happens that makes everybody in an area fuckin' lose it and start rampaging," it's Purgesploitation. Meet the Blacks, Mayhem and Assassination Nation would all be examples.

did you make up all of these

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Alright I'll give you this one.

That and "Jesus freaks, man". I get what you're saying though. These funny moments almost feel wrong to laugh in the aftermath of the mid-movie tragedy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

did you make up all of these

Yep. Mostly for my own benefit because having a word for it feels nicer than saying "John Wick clones" and "Purge clones," and also because acknowledging that these are basically the modern successor to exploitation movies is cool and good.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 17, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's dreddsploitation, please.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ploitationsploitation is my favourite genre of talkie

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yep. Mostly for my own benefit because having a word for it feels nicer than saying "John Wick clones" and "Purge clones," and also because acknowledging that these are basically the modern successor to exploitation movies is cool and good.

A popular movie being imitated or copied to death in the wake of its success is as old as Hollywood.

edit: It's that time of year again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GqqvyzrMw

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 17, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

That and "Jesus freaks, man". I get what you're saying though. These funny moments almost feel wrong to laugh in the aftermath of the mid-movie tragedy.

Yeah, the jokes weren't nasty, just jarring.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I wouldn't count Red Sparrow as Wixploitation unless we consider literally all espionage films Wixploitation. I mean, there's no aesthetic or thematic overlap to speak of there, much more of it is simply a (boring) slow burn historical thriller.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

And wouldn't they really be denzelsploitation? Denzel really led the charge on modern day man rampage with John q, out of time and man on fire all coming out right after the other.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I love cinemasploitation.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Atomic Blonde already isn’t Wixploitation by virtue of being an espionage thriller much more than it is an action movie, Red Sparrow especially isn’t.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Those are millasploitation flicks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

I wouldn't count Red Sparrow as Wixploitation unless we consider literally all espionage films Wixploitation. I mean, there's no aesthetic or thematic overlap to speak of there, much more of it is simply a (boring) slow burn historical thriller.

Pirate Jet posted:

Atomic Blonde already isn’t Wixploitation by virtue of being an espionage thriller much more than it is an action movie, Red Sparrow especially isn’t.

I haven't seen Red Sparrow, so fair enough, I think I kinda misidentified what it is (and it sounds like the actual movie is way less interesting). I don't think that really goes against my point, though.

And with regards to CPL's point: yeah, that's one of the things an exploitation film can be. The worst thing Tarantino ever did to cinema was cause the definition of "exploitation film" to narrow to only really hosed up movies; Mac and Me or Grizzly are as much exploitation movies as The Gore Gore Girls and Blood Sucking Freaks are, because they're exploiting the success of a bigger and better movie.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I wouldn't put The Villainess anywhere near John Wick, because that movie is willing to go places no John Wick movie would ever be willing to go. Like the only real similarities I can see between them is "protagonist loses something impossibly close to them, seeks revenge", but even then, that is a thing that happens at opposite ends of the movies - Wick's happens as the inciting incident for the plot to start rolling, Villainess's is the last straw before she hunts down her husband and the father of her child, and it's basically the "protagonist hits rock bottom" moment.

The Villainess has a lot more DNA from the Vengeance Trilogy, really. Fits in more with the sorts of movies that explore what happens to a person when they abandon their humanity to attain retribution.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I haven't seen Red Sparrow, so fair enough, I think I kinda misidentified what it is (and it sounds like the actual movie is way less interesting). I don't think that really goes against my point, though.

And with regards to CPL's point: yeah, that's one of the things an exploitation film can be. The worst thing Tarantino ever did to cinema was cause the definition of "exploitation film" to narrow to only really hosed up movies; Mac and Me or Grizzly are as much exploitation movies as The Gore Gore Girls and Blood Sucking Freaks are, because they're exploiting the success of a bigger and better movie.

Mac and Me is McDonaldsploitation.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Funny how you often hear the nouns "blaxploitation", "sexploitation", "ozploitation", etc., but never the verbs: "I blaxploit", "he sexploits", "they ozploited". You'd think those would have found their way into some modern vernacular by now.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CPL593H posted:

Macsploitation is a dope subgenre. It has The Founder and Supersize Me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Budgie Jumping posted:

Macsploitation is a dope subgenre. It has The Founder and Supersize Me.

What about Coming to America?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

... i mean, yeah, but i was thinking more that it barely even tries to hide how much of an ET ripoff it is

if ET is Dawn of the Dead, Mac and Me is Hell of the Living Dead, pretty much

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Can't wait for the next wave of X-Mensploitation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Funny how you often hear the nouns "blaxploitation", "sexploitation", "ozploitation", etc., but never the verbs: "I blaxploit", "he sexploits", "they ozploited". You'd think those would have found their way into some modern vernacular by now.

Blaxploitation et al are adjectives.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Skwirl posted:

they're attributive nouns :eng101:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mac and Me or Grizzly are as much exploitation movies as The Gore Gore Girls and Blood Sucking Freaks are, because they're exploiting the success of a bigger and better movie.

Ah, yes, the "mockbuster," perhaps my fav exploitation category.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

Don't you sploitsplain to me.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I liked Mandy a lot and made this stupid thing today:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s not stupid at all, even though I don’t get it right now

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If we’re talking about things we’re making because of Mandy, I’m gonna try to make The Beast (out of foam, but I might make a wood one if the first goes well). I have the outline done, now I gotta figure out the size, I’m guessing it was probably about 4-5 feet long?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

CelticPredator posted:

That’s not stupid at all, even though I don’t get it right now

So it's got 4 panels...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

As if Bezos wasn't bad enough, now Marc Benioff, the founder of Salesforce, is buying Time Magazine.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Timby posted:

As if Bezos wasn't bad enough, now Marc Benioff, the founder of Salesforce, is buying Time Magazine.

People still read Time Magazine? The only time I ever hear about that magazine or any of their journalism is like one day a year when they announce person of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Krazyface posted:

So it's got 4 panels...

I’m at a loss

• Locked thread