Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Random Stranger posted:

Bloodbowl is fun! But if you wanted to knock them down to a B- for gutting the game content to make the majority of the teams DLC, I wouldn't blame you.

There are significantly better(and less random) fantasy/sci-fi themed sports games on the tabletop- they just didn't get translated to the computer.

Whenever there's a GW game or a game based off of their properties, no one ever really discusses deep mechanics or skill or anything, it's always "LOOK AT THE COOL SHOULDERPADS" and "LOL RAD CATCHPHRASES BRO"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Graphic posted:

to answer it seriously re: "Indie" as a genre, a genre can be defined by a certain style or tone, even if the specific content (in this case, gameplay mechanics) vary to a great degree. Art film and indie music (which doesn't actually exclude music released by major labels) are the rough analogues to the "indie game." The "indie game" might be a more nebulous concept than art films and indie rock, but the vast majority of people know that when you talk about "indie games" outside of the context of a discussion about game publishing/distribution, you're not talking about Warframe.

AAA games are generally poo poo too, for totally different reasons than indie games. Each franchise comes out of a factory once per year like clockwork, with an insipid story that says nothing and gameplay so watered down to appeal to everyone that it's satisfying to no one.

But indie games are pretentious, boring, short bullshit that usually amount to interesting curiosities instead of fulfilling gaming experiences.

The real action is in "B games" or whatever you want to call mid-tier games. They innovate, their developers mostly or do have creative freedom, they're not meant to appeal to everyone, are not expected to sell 10 billion copies, but they have enough financial backing to be an actual video game. A recent example I've been playing recently of something that exemplifies this perfectly is Yakuza 0. Other ones are stuff like XCOM and Dark Souls, which managed to break out into major success, but still retain an authentic identity different than the "AAA" game because of their roots.

you loving nerd just enjoy the games you like and let others enjoy the games that they like

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

you loving nerd just enjoy the games you like and let others enjoy the games that they like

For real, the guy could have just said he likes Japanese games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Random Stranger posted:

I remember back when nearly every game with the Star Wars license that came out was great. And then George Lucas decided to make three more movies, so it wasn't a dead property that nobody gave a poo poo about anymore and every Star Wars game since then has been bad.

That's basically how it goes with most licensed games. If it's a rushed tie-in to a movie, it's garbo von garbage. If it isn't, it has a chance of being surprisingly good. See The Warriors, Shadow of Mordor, KOTOR...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Panzeh posted:

There are significantly better(and less random) fantasy/sci-fi themed sports games on the tabletop- they just didn't get translated to the computer.

Whenever there's a GW game or a game based off of their properties, no one ever really discusses deep mechanics or skill or anything, it's always "LOOK AT THE COOL SHOULDERPADS" and "LOL RAD CATCHPHRASES BRO"

That's uh, 90% of the discussion about blood bowel dude. It's a bunch of nerds sperging about how likely it was that the dice did that

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

QuarkJets posted:

No he's saying that it can be useful to have labels for things that vary significantly but that are broadly similar. Kind of like how it's essential to have names for different types of fruit, "apples" and "oranges" aren't just superfluous labels

Such as? Can you give any examples within the context of video games?

Like surely things like action rpg, jrpg, strategy rpg are pretty descriptive in their own right. Trying to go any more in depth on any particular game and your quickly getting into short blurb territory

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

spaceblancmange posted:

Mario and nearly all 2d platform games suck.

I hate mario and I especially hate its controls, one of the things that fans hold up as the best parts. never got the appeal. give me a run&gun or a metroidvania any time but platformers gently caress off

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The uncharted series is terrible

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder if there are also people who watch movies from 1905 named things like "Kerfuffle at the Cobbler's" or "Horse Crosses the Main Street" and claim they still hold up in 2018.

The Great Train Robbery is a timeless classic hth

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why the hell would anyone write or read this

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

DoctorGonzo posted:

I think RDR 2 is going to loving suck

It'll look amazing, have top notch production quality, have numerous complex and fleshed out systems at work inside the game, the world will be huge.

It will also be an absolute chore to play.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Twisted Metal is the best franchise ever and we need t-shirts, action figures, funkos, energy drinks, a movie, comic books... we need all that poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I used the pink car; nobody could beat me

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Robokomodo posted:

Twisted Metal is the best franchise ever and we need t-shirts, action figures, funkos, energy drinks, a movie, comic books... we need all that poo poo.

The vehicular combat genre in general really needs to make a resurgences.

Give me a new Vigilante 8 god dammit.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Twisted Metal was really loving great. Looks like it'd be pretty swell on VR too

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why does everyone get to yell at sports games but we are expected to be too good to yell at video games?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Why does everyone get to yell at sports games but we are expected to be too good to yell at video games?

:sweatdrop:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Too many of us were raised in the NES era where any sudden movement or loud noise would cause the console to freeze.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

veni veni veni posted:

Why the hell would anyone write or read this

it's for us gays

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

hackbunny posted:

I hate mario and I especially hate its controls, one of the things that fans hold up as the best parts. never got the appeal. give me a run&gun or a metroidvania any time but platformers gently caress off

MetroidVanias are platformers

e: this is a joke I didn’t immediately get, isn’t it

Dross fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 16, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Such as? Can you give any examples within the context of video games?

Like surely things like action rpg, jrpg, strategy rpg are pretty descriptive in their own right. Trying to go any more in depth on any particular game and your quickly getting into short blurb territory

Those are categories you dope, that's what we're talking about

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sodomy Hussein posted:

People have in general learned (or been taught, mostly) to beware Star Wars games. For a while the market was starved for Warhammer Fantasy and 40K games and I think that's affected what a lot of people were willing to put up with. There's not really a Warhammer game I'd put over a B-, and the vast majority are shovelware.

Dow 2 and chaos rising coop are vg. space marine is flawed but decent.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade was very good, the 40k license didn't impact it negatively at all. If anything it made the game better

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

QuarkJets posted:

Those are categories you dope, that's what we're talking about

Yeah but that guy was complaining that there weren't any or something equally stupid idk

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Robokomodo posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sony announced a new Twisted Metal game in the next year or so. They are knocking it out of the park in relation to listening to their customers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Dow 2 and chaos rising coop are vg. space marine is flawed but decent.

Yeah those are the two best ones. And you get the feeling that no one who developed them understood why people liked them or what was wrong with them. Like if they had built on Last Stand or made a Space Marine II that worked the kinks out they could have printed money.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

We'll never get another Twisted Metal with split-screen co-op :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah those are the two best ones. And you get the feeling that no one who developed them understood why people liked them or what was wrong with them. Like if they had built on Last Stand or made a Space Marine II that worked the kinks out they could have printed money.

IIRC Relic suffered from a classic case of mismanagement, many of the DOW2 developers got moved off onto other projects (likely the announced Age of Empires 4) and then some executives were like "MOBAs are practically printing money, we need to cash in" and that's how DOW3 got to be so bungled, a strategy game without strategy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade was very good, the 40k license didn't impact it negatively at all. If anything it made the game better

Dark Crusade is the best game in the series. Hands down.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

DoctorGonzo posted:

The uncharted series is terrible

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fridge corn posted:

Yeah but that guy was complaining that there weren't any or something equally stupid idk

Maybe you should pay attention to what you're arguing about

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Irish comedian Dara O'briain does a bit on how computer games are the only media that gate content based on ability, like if Lord of the Flies went "to unlock the fifth chapter, describe the main themes of the novel and explain the significance of the conch". I really strongly agree, and think a lot of games mistake difficulty for content and / or quality. It's mostly an anachronism, a holdover from arcade games trying to milk you for quarters, and then simple early games artificially lengthening themselves.

I think the ballet of Arkham City's combat is rewarding in a way that say, uncharted's isn't. With uncharted, really I just want to see the combat play out like an action film, with me in control, to take me to the next set piece. I can see how I'm supposed to do it, and how that would play out, but randomly having to restart an acton sequence because of an errant grenade I missed isn't in any way more fun. It's just 'how video games work' so there it is. The rest of the game is about going along for the ride, like a movie, but a movie where sometimes the action sequences involving guns (and only those ones) go wrong and have to start again...?

Dark Souls is specifically about 'gitting gud' and mastering your play, and is 100% fair, but extremely punishing. Once you learn to defeat an enemy though, you will always beat that enemy, and you always know what mistake you made that lead to your death. Dying has a specific mechanic (running back to recover souls, losing humanity) tied to it that forces you to master the environment. Whether you like it or not, or think it's good or not, (or difficult or not) it's hopefully clear that the difficulty is actually part of the story, of the theme and necessary to the game. Contrast to God of War.

In God of war, you are literally a God of combat (obviously) and the fun is going ham and smashing folks to ribbons in style. Dying is undesirable solely because of a load screen. Like uncharted, if you die, you know you'll be able to get it eventually just mashing your way through. The only real penalty is to your time.

I'm not saying games are too hard, but that there MUST be more fun ways for most games to handle failure? Like, if bosses in GoW recovered all their health to full if they hit you enough, that would be functionally identical*, only there wouldn't be a load screen, and eventually you'd build up the "go HAM" meter that lets you almost auto win. If instead of my health bar going red in an uncharted game it went into bullet time, that would just look cooler. Like maybe those aren't ideal solves, but I just really don't think EVERY game benefits from allowing you to fail indefinitely by design.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 17, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC Relic suffered from a classic case of mismanagement, many of the DOW2 developers got moved off onto other projects (likely the announced Age of Empires 4) and then some executives were like "MOBAs are practically printing money, we need to cash in" and that's how DOW3 got to be so bungled, a strategy game without strategy

Its kind of depressing that they took a series I really loved and in one swift motion botched it so bad that I don't even have interest in picking the third one up at this point.

e:

!Klams posted:

I'm not saying games are too hard, but that there MUST be more fun ways for most games to handle failure? Like, if bosses in GoW recovered all their health to full if they hit you enough, that would be functionally identical*, only there wouldn't be a load screen, and eventually you'd build up the "go HAM" meter that lets you almost auto win. If instead of my health bar going red in an uncharted game it went into bullet time, that would just look cooler. Like maybe those aren't ideal solves, but I just really don't think EVERY game benefits from allowing you to fail indefinitely by design.

They tried that when they attempted to reboot the prince of persia series and people hated it.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 17, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

!Klams posted:

Irish comedian Dara O'briain does a bit on how computer games are the only media that gate content based on ability

Wow can't believe that the only popular form of media which requires input from the user, might sometimes test the input from the user. Really weird how the other forms, which literally cannot be acted upon by the user in anyway, don't test the users ability??? Mind blown, makes u think...

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Original DoW and its expansions, particularly Dark Crusade, are by far and away the best 40k game, still. DoW 2 wasn't bad, same with Space Marine. There still hasn't been a game that has truly lived up to the potential of the source material though. But it's a fair comment to say that it's like a label of death on most games, they loving churn out mediocre garbage.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FoolyCharged posted:

Its kind of depressing that they took a series I really loved and in one swift motion botched it so bad that I don't even have interest in picking the third one up at this point.

e:

They tried that when they attempted to reboot the prince of persia series and people hated it.

I thought the prince of Persia reboot games were hugely successful though? (There was even a movie?) And they also had the Mechanic of rewinding time to avoid your death, which is exactly the kind of thing I'm taking about? Like, I'm fully aware that my solutions aren't good ones, but surely some good game designers can think of some?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bloodborne should have stuck with the Estus Flask system

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

!Klams posted:

I thought the prince of Persia reboot games were hugely successful though? (There was even a movie?) And they also had the Mechanic of rewinding time to avoid your death, which is exactly the kind of thing I'm taking about? Like, I'm fully aware that my solutions aren't good ones, but surely some good game designers can think of some?

They rebooted the series in 2008 with the title "Prince of Persia." It had some really pretty art. The time rewind mechanic wasn't used and instead if you botched a jump your traveling companion would immediately save you and return you to the platform to try again. The bosses literally used the mentioned mechanic where rather than killing you they restored their hp to full and the fight kept going.

e:I think there were a pair of lps done of it a while back so the lparchive could give you an idea of how that concept looks in motion.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 17, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chomp8645 posted:

Wow can't believe that the only popular form of media which requires input from the user, might sometimes test the input from the user. Really weird how the other forms, which literally cannot be acted upon by the user in anyway, don't test the users ability??? Mind blown, makes u think...

It's not that they sometimes do though, it's that sometimes they don't. Sometimes, very rarely, you get to see all the content independent of skill. And, again, I'm not complaining about the amount of skill required, I'm enough of a nerd that instead of muscle mass I have hay fever and great APM, but that it is the de facto model, despite not really being the most fun a lot of the time isn't great. That designers will either make concessions to norms instead of doing something more fun, or just by virtue of being lazy do the same is, to me, a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Bloodborne should have stuck with the Estus Flask system

The is a Popular Videogame Opinion (and a bad one), therefore unfit for this thread.