Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

So has anyone tried to port spirits to legacy? I'm thinking the green isn't necessary but idk. I've tried in the past but it ended up just being a bad combination of Miracles and D&T.

Sounds about right. I think I've seen a thread on the source for it and it's just middling.

I've run into it on MTGO once or twice but it just feels like a mediocre slivers/D&T hybrid and just didn't impress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

fadam posted:

What are the Riders of Gavony I'm seeing in Human SB for?

Spirits, merfolk, slivers, humans, elementals.

Walked posted:

Sounds about right. I think I've seen a thread on the source for it and it's just middling.

I've run into it on MTGO once or twice but it just feels like a mediocre slivers/D&T hybrid and just didn't impress.

That's kinda what I was afraid of. Oh well, guess I'll keep not playing legacy.

I wasn't going to play anyway because lol Tundras

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

fadam posted:

The text box says "Destroy target Tribal deck", which is pretty relevant given that Humans is a top deck, Spirits are in vogue, and some people will never stop playing Merfolk and Elves.

It's even more fun in the Humans mirror because it can't get Reflector Mage'ed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

Humans!

...And Spirits!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Voyager I posted:

The text box says "Destroy target Tribal deck", which is pretty relevant given that Humans is a top deck, Spirits are in vogue, and some people will never stop playing Merfolk and Elves.

It's even more fun in the Humans mirror because it can't get Reflector Mage'ed.

well, elves doesn't really care, but yeah all the other tribal decks have a Real Bad Time with that card

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I'm thinking spirits is actually the better tribe in the current modern metagame. Convince me I'm wrong. UW is moving up to be the new top dog in the format and spirits is better against it than humans. Need to get me some drogskol captains before it's a $10 uncommon with only 1 printing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
AlternateNu since you asked about it in the main thread, here's the Abzan Fall of the Thran list I alluded to earlier-
3 Bojuka Bog
1 Field of Ruin
3 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Swamp
2 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Courser of Kruphix
1 Dromoka's Command
1 Eternal Witness
4 Fall of the Thran
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
4 Path to Exile
2 Scavenging Ooze
3 Tireless Tracker
//Sideboard
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Damping Sphere
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Settle the Wreckage
3 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction
3 Thoughtseize
2 Worship

I admittedly got the idea from MTGGoldfish but this list is a little cleaner than what they put forth. I still think GW is better unless you have a lot of combo around you and need Thoughtseize out of the board, but it's still fun.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So I'm thinking spirits is actually the better tribe in the current modern metagame. Convince me I'm wrong. UW is moving up to be the new top dog in the format and spirits is better against it than humans. Need to get me some drogskol captains before it's a $10 uncommon with only 1 printing.

As a Jund player, I am more afraid of a good humans pilot than a Spirits player. I always felt like Humans has a better chance to go wide and a better long game. Drogskol Captains are bad but hopefully they don't have the double company hits and you should be ok.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

As a Jund player, I am more afraid of a good humans pilot than a Spirits player. I always felt like Humans has a better chance to go wide and a better long game. Drogskol Captains are bad but hopefully they don't have the double company hits and you should be ok.

I figured the combination of instant speed, rattlechains nixing removal, selfless spirit doing the same, drogskol captain, and flying tribal would be worse for jund overall. I think they're very closely tied in terms of competitive tribes but I do think spirit being better against control is a big deal right now, and better against things like KCI as well. Plus I think they can fight humans just fine, selfless spirit makes combat real bad for the other side. Just a metagame shift, I think.

What I'm really curious about is how much rear end Trophy is going to shake up the metagame. I think between field of ruin and now trophy, the days of playing super greedy unpunished manabases are coming to an end. I've even seen humans players already adding a second basic sometimes, people are going to have to find more basics for some of their decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Spirits can't ever beat Jund ever. The only reason it's playable is that Jund is bad for whatever reason.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Spirits can't ever beat Jund ever. The only reason it's playable is that Jund is bad for whatever reason.

Why can't they win? I'm actually curious and haven't seen the matchup played out.

Jund doesn't seem great right now, still. Struggles vs. UW control in my experience, not great against humans, not sure how they really beat Hollow1 since it doesn't care about hand discard. I guess tron is still present enough as well to keep it down.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

The one time I went against Jund as Spirits I won, even if it was kind of close. I even scooped to early game 1 because I could have knocked him down to 3 and I forgot that he had a Dark Confidant in play that could have killed him before he killed me on the crackback. It's just one match and all, but it's doable (and it was my very first time piloting the deck!).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’ve been on Mardu Pyromancer for the last couple months as it’s been better positioned than Jund but I haven’t seen it much lately. When rear end trophy is legal I’m considering going back to my first real modern deck in Junk, or maybe a straight BG rock strategy, not sure yet. I think the card could be excellent in Jund though as it literally never misses off of BBE unless your opponent is a goldfish.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

I’ve been on Mardu Pyromancer for the last couple months as it’s been better positioned than Jund but I haven’t seen it much lately. When rear end trophy is legal I’m considering going back to my first real modern deck in Junk, or maybe a straight BG rock strategy, not sure yet. I think the card could be excellent in Jund though as it literally never misses off of BBE unless your opponent is a goldfish.

I think it'll be great in jund but I am personally going to be trying straight BG rock for a while. The extra basics are very appealing and it means i get to play 4 field of ruin or a mix of field and ghost quarter. That plus extra room for 3 or so tireless trackers and some flex spots makes me think it'll be better positioned against control. BBE into trophy is a thing that will always be pretty good too though.

edit: this red sligh deck from gp Hong Kong is wild

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/grand-prix-hong-kong-2018#paper

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 17, 2018

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

I think it'll be great in jund but I am personally going to be trying straight BG rock for a while. The extra basics are very appealing and it means i get to play 4 field of ruin or a mix of field and ghost quarter. That plus extra room for 3 or so tireless trackers and some flex spots makes me think it'll be better positioned against control. BBE into trophy is a thing that will always be pretty good too though.

Agreed on the tireless trackers, I’ll be excited to play those again. I wonder how feasible a light white splash for lingering souls would be in BG, especially considering field of ruin.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hong Kong, dude.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Hong Kong, dude.

Sorry, fixed. Not sure why I thought it was the other.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Why can't they win? I'm actually curious and haven't seen the matchup played out.

Jund doesn't seem great right now, still. Struggles vs. UW control in my experience, not great against humans, not sure how they really beat Hollow1 since it doesn't care about hand discard. I guess tron is still present enough as well to keep it down.

The whole point of Jund is to rip apart your synergies and make everything a topdeck war and Spirits does not function at all without its synergies. Moorland Haunt helps but it's extremely not good against pretty much everything else. Basically you cast creatures and they die or you don't and they get discarded. Your best way to win is with a turn 1 Hierarch accelerating you into big plays but it is ~0% to survive.7

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

This is literally 8whack from mtggoldfish budget magic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How batshit crazy am I for wanting to put Progenitus into a Chord of Calling deck in Modern?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

How batshit crazy am I for wanting to put Progenitus into a Chord of Calling deck in Modern?

What specifically appeals to you about Progenitus that another beefy creature can't cover? I feel like if you're going to go for X=10 you might as well go X=15 and just use Emrakul. Or trot our Craterhoof Behemoth for slightly less mana, I still see Green Devotion lists on MTGGoldfish every now and then that run it as a wincon.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Because I like my pal and friend Progenitus even though Craterhoof Behemoth and Emrakul are better and more practical in every way :(

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Star Man posted:

Because I like my pal and friend Progenitus even though Craterhoof Behemoth and Emrakul are better and more practical in every way :(

i mean you can do whatever you want but how many games of modern do you think you'll get to chord for him before the game ends? It'll be crazy and cool and all when you get to do it, but i'd wager its gonna be relevant like 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 games. Like you can sit on a game you could easily win at any time and just wait to convoke and RAWR Progenitus but at the point where you just didn't swing to win for 3 or 4 turns so you could put out a bunch of dudes to convoke with you won without him, you just chose to durdle for a while. Or your UW control opponent is sandbagging a terminus on top of their deck waiting for you to kill them and they still tuck it after you go RAWR Progenitus.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know, I think that even Natural Order wouldn't make Progenitus playable in Modern.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

If you want to cheat Progenitus into play there was a loving rad Guild Feud deck I saw at my LGS a few years ago. Except A. It was Legacy, and B. This was before Top was banned, so it's probably an even worse deck now.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 17, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

You know, I think that even Natural Order wouldn't make Progenitus playable in Modern.

It probably would, the big thing about NO/Pro is that it works even when the other guy is doing a good job of controlling your board, while Crater doesn't. Prog is still a sb card in Legacy Elves, I think.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

The whole point of Jund is to rip apart your synergies and make everything a topdeck war and Spirits does not function at all without its synergies. Moorland Haunt helps but it's extremely not good against pretty much everything else. Basically you cast creatures and they die or you don't and they get discarded. Your best way to win is with a turn 1 Hierarch accelerating you into big plays but it is ~0% to survive.7

Spirits has some things going for it in the matchup that you're undervaluing.

a. Jund does a fair bit of damage to itself, sometimes struggles to close games quickly, and absolutely sucks at blocking flyers (options for a typical list being 0-1 copies of Treetop Village in the entire 75 and literally nothing else). This can give Spirits a window to put things away even with underwhelming leftovers in situations where a Tarmogoyf or whatever would normally take over the game.

b. Spirits is good at pressuring Planeswalkers and can force the opponent to be really careful about how they use spot removal, both of which are traits that can frustrate the typical Jund gameplan.

c. Moorland Haunt is loving gross against Jund.

This isn't to say that Spirits isn't susceptible to the typical Jund game of tearing apart whatever your deck is supposed to do and then having a better card on top than you do, because it absolutely is, but there are ways the match can go the other way.

That said my games against Jund were before the BBE unban.

Also confirmed that Progenitus is still a sideboard card in Legacy Elves.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

my time has come: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1331239#paper

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jeskai Ascendancy was my secret favorite combo deck, ever.

I don't understand how this isn't running Manamorphose, though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i also feel like that deck maybe wants past in flames? you eventually make boatloads of mana and it gets around real hosed up repugnant poo poo such as "your opponent has blockers" or "your opponent has a removal spell"

e: and it was absolutely my favorite combo deck of all time. oh my god the vintage version fully locked and loaded with the playset of treasure cruises was a delight

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Network42 posted:

This is literally 8whack from mtggoldfish budget magic.

Yeah I remember walking ar on day 2 and seeing a board of bushwacker, burning tree and a goblin grenade in hand and Wondering what the hell happened. I wrote up my thoughts on the GP at MTG salvation. I went 4-4 in the main event but 4-1 in the PTQ Sunday. I went 1-1 against spirits and 1-1 against humans. It was the first time I lost to Spirits in paper. It is true that Jund can't block poo poo against them, and if they draw enough hexproof dudes and quellers, they tempo you out. It's a hard matchup but winnable if it lines up for you. Trophy would make it much better.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Voyager I posted:

(options for a typical list being 0-1 copies of Treetop Village in the entire 75 and literally nothing else).

Treetop Village has trample, not reach.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Star Man posted:

Treetop Village has trample, not reach.

Oh lmao Jund can literally never block a flyer then.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy was my secret favorite combo deck, ever.

I don't understand how this isn't running Manamorphose, though.

manamorphonse is pretty bad in decks where you're trying to assemble something complex. it makes mulligan decisions and cantrips real difficult, because if you see a one you don't know what card you're actually getting

it makes you win harder once you've resolved a few combo pieces, but that part isn't the difficult one

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Is the gameplan in that jeskai ascendency deck just swing with a large fatestitcher, with backup plan of ascension+bolts?

I feel like there should be more when I look at it, but that seems like all it is

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Network42 posted:

Is the gameplan in that jeskai ascendency deck just swing with a large fatestitcher, with backup plan of ascension+bolts?

I feel like there should be more when I look at it, but that seems like all it is

Yep, or a giant faerie conclave which makes mana/untaps with each ascension trigger. Fatestitcher ideally taps down all possible blockers while you're going off. More stitcher the better. There used to be a version of this deck that used birds or sylvan caryatid and glittering wished for a blood//flesh out of the sideboard, this one seems more streamlined.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah i think i would find a home for a wind zendikon because the two mana to activate conclave can be onerous in lots of situations, and having a creature that is also a land is insanely powerful when you're going off

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

and having a creature that is also a land is insanely powerful when you're going off

Makes me miss the holiday cube with Ascendancy, where often Dzyls main win condition was lands animated by Nissa, or just Lingering Souls and two cantrips.

It's a good card.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Can anybody explain why people play Mardu? All the data we have indicates that the deck is really bad but people play it anyway for some reason. Is GerryT just a really good spokesman for the deck? Especially among spikier people, I don't understand the infatuation at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

Can anybody explain why people play Mardu? All the data we have indicates that the deck is really bad but people play it anyway for some reason. Is GerryT just a really good spokesman for the deck? Especially among spikier people, I don't understand the infatuation at all.

It was briefly good, and people like midrange. And Gerry T played it.