Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Terrance_Williams_and_Felipe_Santos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatoon_freezing_deaths

These people got away with it (did I get the first one from this thread?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
(White) Dallas cop got home from work, saw a black guy standing in her apartment, and shot him. Small problem: she "accidentally" went one floor up from her place, it was his apartment. Neighbors reported hearing her banging on the door and yelling "Let me in!" Strange for a person who lives alone to do such a thing when their key doesn't work.

She was arrested three days later on charges of manslaughter, and let out on bail.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/14/...pe=sectionfront

The New York Times posted:

Officer Guyger said in court documents that when she opened the door, the apartment was dark and she saw a silhouette of someone she thought was a burglar. She said she shouted commands that were ignored. Neighbors, however, have told lawyers for Mr. Jean’s relatives that they heard someone banging on the door and shouting, “Let me in!” and “Open up!” before gunshots rang out. They said they then heard a man, presumably Mr. Jean, say, “Oh my God, why did you do that?”

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Sep 16, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Chillbro Baggins posted:

(White) Dallas cop got home from work, saw a black guy standing in her apartment, and shot him. Small problem: she "accidentally" went one floor up from her place, it was his apartment. Neighbors reported hearing her banging on the door and yelling "Let me in!" Strange for a person who lives alone to do such a thing when their key doesn't work.

She was arrested three days later on charges of manslaughter, and let out on bail.

The way you presented that, I thought you were talking about a new incident. I was like, “holy poo poo, again?”

Edit: Probably worth noting that a bunch of photos were uncovered showing her with people throwing that white power salute, and someone (maybe her mother?) in an “all lives matter” T-shirt.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The way you presented that, I thought you were talking about a new incident. I was like, “holy poo poo, again?”

Edit: Probably worth noting that a bunch of photos were uncovered showing her with people throwing that white power salute, and someone (maybe her mother?) in an “all lives matter” T-shirt.

Quoting my post from another thread

xtal posted:

Lol she has a Pinterest account full of blue lives matter stuff. Link removed cause I'm not doxxing or w/e

Favs:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The neighbours below me are assholes. Good to know I can murder them and get away with it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The neighbours below me are assholes. Good to know I can murder them and get away with it.

Hooold on there, bub. You need to be a cop, and it will help significantly if your neighbors are visibly members of a minority group, and you are not.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Then the police got a warrant for his apartment and then discovered weed so He Was No Angel™

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
For some unnerving weather check out this Twitter thread of what's happening in Hong Kong.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jenzhuscott/status/1041319311892258822

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The way you presented that, I thought you were talking about a new incident.

It happened last week or the week before and hadn't come up here (or if it did I missed it, very possible), so yeah, it's new.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

jobson groeth posted:

For some unnerving weather check out this Twitter thread of what's happening in Hong Kong.

Holy poo poo, that is unreal. Pro-click.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

jobson groeth posted:

I have a theory about why we're not seeing video from the other phone being held up with two fingers in the face of the super-storm.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
One of China’s biggest Hollywood Stars has vanished off the face of the earth, and a lot of news outlets are speculating that the government might have put her in a secret prison.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/14/asia/fan-bingbing-china-celebrity-intl/index.html

Although if it is actually for tax fraud I don’t know if it’s that different from what we did to Wesley Snipes except that wasn’t a secret so that’s actually a big difference I guess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:stare:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

Then the police got a warrant for his apartment and then discovered weed so He Was No Angel™

yeah, the "but the dude happened to have pot in his apartment!" would be loving mindblowingly stupid as a defense if i weren't already the world-weary cynical type

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
The noise of the wind in this one....that'd drive me crazy
https://twitter.com/jenzhuscott/status/1041321383026778112?s=09

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The noise reminds me of that pile of squeaky ducks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHc288IPFzk

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
This one makes me shudder https://twitter.com/jenzhuscott/status/1041194682460430336?s=09

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

We’ve covered the Croydon Cat Killer in this thread, but it looks like this unnerving story has a happy..ish ending. Or at least as happy as a story with many dead cats can have.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/20/croydon-cat-killer-unmasked-after-three-year-investigation

The article posted:

For a nation of animal lovers, it was one of the most gripping whodunnits of the modern era. Reports in November 2015 of cats found mutilated around the Croydon area of south London, with their heads and tails removed, sparked media headlines that a “Croydon cat killer” was on the loose and fears the fiend might strike again.

But almost three years on, after postmortems on deceased cats and two rabbits, forensic examinations, DNA tests and the studying of CCTV, Scotland Yard announced that humans were in the clear – and that the most likely culprits were foxes or other scavenging animals.

So instead of a budding serial killer practising on animals, it’s just good ol nature.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Keep your cats inside folks

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

It keeps them safe. My vet told me even an indoor cat that has a full complement of claws has a life expectancy of days since they'd be massacred by all the feral cats running around.

Also, you can sleep with ease knowing your little love muffin isn't contributing to the 2-4 billion birds and 7-20 billion small mammals slaughtered every year by cats.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Sep 21, 2018

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Honestly the world is so hosed the cats might as well get out there and start killing. All the cute little birds are going to die from a screwy climate anyway. They should at least make a use of themselves and become cat food.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My cat is a dick and doesn't kill just mauls them then bats them around.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I agreed to house-sit for my friends who are going on vacation to Asia in a couple weeks and they have five cats who have free reign to go in and out of the house as they choose. I'm already fully prepared to come back from work and find one of them dead because that's just how these things happen, I just hope it's the dumb cat I don't like instead of one of the good ones

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

A friend of mine had a cat that brought her live things. It would release them inside so that she had a constant stream of mice, rats, snakes, frogs and bugs marching through her house. The cat would sit and watch her freak out. I know that cat found it funny that she was so squeamish.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I dunno, my parents' cats are always primarily outdoors and they average about 18.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Pick posted:

I dunno, my parents' cats are always primarily outdoors and they average about 18.

Do your parents live in London

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pick posted:

Yes, there are non-feral cats that live outdoors and come in at night to sleep. There are also what are known as "barn cats" in rural areas that really can be considered working animals since they keep the barn and silo areas vermin free.

The life expectancy thing I got from the vet was regarding cats that are almost exclusively indoor cats. Also I'm in a suburban hell-scape and there are tons of ferals running around.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Anomalous Blowout posted:

We’ve covered the Croydon Cat Killer in this thread, but it looks like this unnerving story has a happy..ish ending. Or at least as happy as a story with many dead cats can have.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/20/croydon-cat-killer-unmasked-after-three-year-investigation

So instead of a budding serial killer practising on animals, it’s just good ol nature.

A lot of it isn't even nature, they're just getting hit by cars and foxes are just like "oooh a dead cat, better take it's head!"

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Aphex- posted:

A lot of it isn't even nature, they're just getting hit by cars and foxes are just like "oooh a dead cat, better take it's head!"
this is because the eyes, tongue and brain are the most delicious part

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Yes, there are non-feral cats that live outdoors and come in at night to sleep. There are also what are known as "barn cats" in rural areas that really can be considered working animals since they keep the barn and silo areas vermin free.

The life expectancy thing I got from the vet was regarding cats that are almost exclusively indoor cats. Also I'm in a suburban hell-scape and there are tons of ferals running around.

Growing up in a rural backwater, my family always had indoor-outdoor cats. They all got semi-regular checkups, and depending on their age and inclination were free to come or go as they pleased. Over a 20+ year span, something like a dozen cats (we had up to six at once) lived in our house, and not a single one died to an accident or predation. I'd say their lifespan ranged from 12-18 years, though we had a couple die at ~6 due to disease. Hell, one ever got hit by a car made but it out with a broken hip and went on to live another eight years.

All that said, we probably got really lucky. Cats can live perfectly content—and statistically much longer—lives indoors, so why risk it? My current cat is a goddamn moron, and I wouldn't trust her to make it more than a day on her own.

Skippy McPants has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Sep 21, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scathach posted:

A friend of mine had a cat that brought her live things. It would release them inside so that she had a constant stream of mice, rats, snakes, frogs and bugs marching through her house. The cat would sit and watch her freak out. I know that cat found it funny that she was so squeamish.

We have a pet rabbit that was brought in by someone's cat. She's now imprinted on our hamster, who is decidedly non-plussed by her surrogate daughter but likes to annoy her.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Scathach posted:

Sounds like the cat was trying to teach her dumb giant hairless cat friend to hunt by helpfully releasing live prey.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

PetraCore posted:

Sounds like the cat was trying to teach her dumb giant hairless cat friend to hunt by helpfully releasing live prey.

sharing is caring

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
We actually have not covered that cat killer in this thread. I know because I came here to be like "it was for sustenance, so it's okay, according to all of your dumb logic."

The cat killer that we did discuss has yet to be caught, and is unlikely to be a fox, because they intricately posed their bodies.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
if you are afraid of your cat dying because of nature and killing because of nature, maybe you just shouldnt get a cat

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I happened upon a dead duck while out running recently and it looked basically fine, just the eyes were missing. I know it's a ubiquitous trope but still jarring to see that irl.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

The WA cat killer is a short drive from me and it is pretty creepy. Current article in case anyone has missed it.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kiro...illed/827141444

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

this broken hill posted:

this is because the eyes, tongue and brain are the most delicious part

My cat likes to kill rabbits but only eats the head usually. I thought it might be because he’s full but perhaps it’s the deliciousness?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Not to say that any kind of torture/murder isn’t grotesque, but imo there’s something especially ghastly about people who kill and torture animals for fun.

I’m not totally sure why that sticks out, because it’s not as though I value a cat’s life more than a human’s, but my brain puts it in that same category as someone who preys on children, the elderly, the disabled, etc.

I think it’s the extra layer of knowing that these people are preying on vulnerable creatures that can’t fight back, even if intellectually I know that it doesn’t make it any better if the victim could.

OTOH, maybe it’s worse to me just because I can’t even understand why someone would do that. If one person murders another person, I could get that it might be over money or adultery or any of a thousand reasons. Even though I wouldn’t think that justifies it, I could at least follow the chain of reasoning. But why kill a cat or a dog? And more than that, why mutilate them afterwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Keep your cats inside fox