Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I've caught up and I'm sort of enjoying it.
The Friendship thing is played for laughs and it's pretty funny with an interesting world. Guess I'll stick around and see where it goes.
At least for me it's fresh as I never read Fairy Tale.

But why does virtually every expression Shiki makes make him look like a thug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well he did class change into a thief :v:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/79/page/1
We never learn

I summon up the powers of the God Hand!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulderman posted:

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/79/page/1
We never learn

I summon up the powers of the God Hand!

I was expecting some dream sequence with dragon kicks and chain yankers. This is an acceptable substitute.
also I should probably read this from the beginning because I have no idea who anyone is

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

I was expecting some dream sequence with dragon kicks and chain yankers. This is an acceptable substitute.
also I should probably read this from the beginning because I have no idea who anyone is

We Never Learn is fantastic and it deserves your time.

Tsuitsui-sensei knows exactly what he's doing, but I appreciate him for it. When the scenario's a cliche he puts a twist on it or just tunes it to the max. And when it's more original, it's either super funny or really heartwarming.

I won't begrudge anyone who's uncomfortable with fanservice if they don't care for it, but it's rapidly become one of my weekly favorites.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I don't mind fanservice as long as everyone involved is having fun.
This is a good example. The girls are there to get a massage and the fanservice comes from that. Also Nariyuki isn't a huge pervert about it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This chapter was gold. Everything was exactly as you'd think, but somehow still funny. Probably because he was aware at how unlikely this all was.
I'll be very disappointed if Kominami doesn't refer to this incident later to torment Nariyuki.

All hail the God hand God

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"Next chapter, what will happen to Nariyuki, who encounters sensei in an unexpected place?" is basically the tagline for this manga.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

chumbler posted:

"Next chapter, what will happen to Nariyuki, who encounters sensei in an unexpected place?" is basically the tagline for this manga.
It's really true. I wonder if Tsuitsui knew the whole time how much screen time she was going to get or if her increased presence is a reaction to her popularity or his own growing affection for her. I'd believe any of it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Tsuitsui-sensei

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

We Never Learn is fantastic and it deserves your time.

Tsuitsui-sensei knows exactly what he's doing, but I appreciate him for it. When the scenario's a cliche he puts a twist on it or just tunes it to the max. And when it's more original, it's either super funny or really heartwarming.

I won't begrudge anyone who's uncomfortable with fanservice if they don't care for it, but it's rapidly become one of my weekly favorites.
It's fine and, for the most part, it's been consistent with the chuckle-worthy feels. Also, does anyone know if Tsuitsui worked as assistant to Komi during Nisekoi or something? The art feels distinctly similar.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Wark Say posted:

It's fine and, for the most part, it's been consistent with the chuckle-worthy feels. Also, does anyone know if Tsuitsui worked as assistant to Komi during Nisekoi or something? The art feels distinctly similar.

Dunno, but Tsutsui did the magical girl spinoff of Nisekoi

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

Probably give her another massage. :) He seems good at that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tarezax posted:

Word, I was forgetting that Nisekoi had more than a few spinoffs/off-shoots/crossovers! My favorites were the crossovers made with Ore Monogatari!

Takeo rules. :3:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/69/5/page/2

We never learn bonus contents, Nariyuki's sister is one of the few characters that really doesn't do it for me in this series.

(The chapter 63 one is pretty powerful though)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

? Sorry? I live in Japan and it's the honorific used with author names. I usually catch it when I write it and delete since people can get weird about it like this, but not always.

Tarezax posted:

Thank you! I saw a volume of this at a used book store recently and picked it up instinctively because I really liked the art on the cover but then I realized it was a Nisekoi spinoff so I was confused as to why it stuck out to me. I don't mind Komi's artwork but that explains why it looked so appealing to me haha.

Mulderman posted:

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/69/5/page/2

We never learn bonus contents, Nariyuki's sister is one of the few characters that really doesn't do it for me in this series.

(The chapter 63 one is pretty powerful though)
67 is really cute too!

But yeah, WNL does just fine without the incest archtype character in the harem so I'm hoping the sister remains in the background rather than getting Sensei'd into a major role. She has a cute design but she's one note and it's a bad note.

EDIT: That said she does have her moments, this is really cute: https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/60/5/page/5

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 17, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Word, I was forgetting that Nisekoi had more than a few spinoffs/off-shoots/crossovers! My favorites were the crossovers made with Ore Monogatari!

Takeo rules. :3:

Hot linking images often breaks the image link, you do realize this, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Hot linking images often breaks the image link, you do realize this, right?
:doh:

Yeah, I'm just gonna use imgur and mixtape.moe from here on out. Sorry.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

So this new Jump Start series is one hell of a ride...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

:doh:

Yeah, I'm just gonna use imgur and mixtape.moe from here on out. Sorry.

It's cool buddy.

Mulderman posted:

So this new Jump Start series is one hell of a ride...

Lol

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

The first chapter of I'm from Japan is pretty much Sexy Commando except with geography, and I'm down for that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We have three chapters of Jujutsu Kaisen today.
Salaryman survives to clock in for another shift. His overtime ability does remind me a bit of how nen powers work in HxH which was cool, getting more powerful if you've been on the job too long is a nice ability.

Then we get pure suffering with Junpei because he finally met someone to share in his love for obscure movies only for his mom to get Nom'd and now he's going down a very dangerous road

One thing I don't necessarily like about this series is that it feels almost like chapters or pages are missing sometimes. Had to go back and re-read parts of this arc and it's like a record skipping in the middle of a track.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wasn't sure what you meant until I got to page 11 or so of this set of chapters and wow you weren't kidding. not sure if I noticed that before

I guess it is possible that there are pages missing tho? idk

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Space Tail's latest chapter could easily be retitled AND THEN A SKELETON POPPED OUT.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
whew, good chapters

the cut from the end of ch 24 to the report on p1 of ch 25 was chilling, very effective

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

whew, good chapters

the cut from the end of ch 24 to the report on p1 of ch 25 was chilling, very effective

Writing it out as a report is way more upsetting than it would be showing it.

I'm upset!!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Space Tail's latest chapter could easily be retitled AND THEN A SKELETON POPPED OUT.

I'm glad Space Erza has become more powerful, but come on with the rest of that chapter Mashima. Knock it off.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

chumbler posted:

I'm glad Space Erza has become more powerful, but come on with the rest of that chapter Mashima. Knock it off.

Compared to the last few arcs of Fairy Tail, that was insanely tame. I was fully prepared for sensitivity increasing or clothes melting mucus and was rolling my eyes in advance, but thankfully it's still early in the series so it didn't last. And Space Lucy even saved herself! That's impressive honestly.

That next chapter title though! Roll Credits.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I think Space Tale gave me a whiplash from how it swoops between "this is pretty good anime" to "this is pretty Anime in the most embarrassing ways" :psyduck:

I did get a nice chuckle out of Shiki sitting on a side window.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

To be fair it's way less gross than Fairy Tail overall because at least it winks at itself. She doesn't get stripped naked, she saves herself, then she dunks on the scientist guy for the gag he tried. Given the last 3rd of Fairy Tail it's absolutely tame.

I mean, overall yeah this is all derivative poo poo but still.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We Never Learn's latest chapter is bloody amazing. I was laughing the whole time I was reading it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mikl posted:

We Never Learn's latest chapter is bloody amazing. I was laughing the whole time I was reading it.

I love how aware Kominami is of everything that's going on.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not the biggest fan of Kirisu. However, she works really well in chapters that also feature Kominami. Having her around to stir up poo poo is great and it elevates the chapters to something more than "Yuiga runs into Sensei at X and awkwardness ensues"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of Kirisu. However, she works really well in chapters that also feature Kominami. Having her around to stir up poo poo is great and it elevates the chapters to something more than "Yuiga runs into Sensei at X and awkwardness ensues"

I agree. I also like the combination of Sensei and Swimmer girl because she treats her a like a normal teacher.
Sensei on her own doesn't really work well for me. It doesn't help that the Mangaka seems to write her more and more inept at everything that isn't teaching.

edit: Space tale
That was quick with the powerup mode.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 26, 2018

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

she's also a bad teacher

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

edit: Space tale
That was quick with the powerup mode.

And then Space Erza was a... Octopus Skull Thing?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And then Space Erza was a... Octopus Skull Thing?

Hell sounds good to me, book it Mashima.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

We have three chapters of Jujutsu Kaisen today.
Salaryman survives to clock in for another shift. His overtime ability does remind me a bit of how nen powers work in HxH which was cool, getting more powerful if you've been on the job too long is a nice ability.

Then we get pure suffering with Junpei because he finally met someone to share in his love for obscure movies only for his mom to get Nom'd and now he's going down a very dangerous road

One thing I don't necessarily like about this series is that it feels almost like chapters or pages are missing sometimes. Had to go back and re-read parts of this arc and it's like a record skipping in the middle of a track.

Yeah I just read it from the beginning and very much was getting that feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I read probably the first...I dunno, 40-some chapters of We Never Learn in SJA, and I had to drop it, just like with Nisekoi. I have so little tolerance for harem stuff these days. It was fine when it was just those first two girls, but then the teacher gets involved, then the athletic girl, and probably another one or two added since I've been swiping through it.

Food Wars is a bit entertaining, but now that the 'The short-sighted gourmet who wanted everyone to factory-produce his gourmet recipes' arc is over, the 'super-dangerous criminal ultra-gourmet' arc to up the stakes is foreshadowing what the rest of the series' run is going to be like, and in 4 years when the Criminal Ultra-Gourmet arc is over, we'll progress to the the Space Alien/Afterlife Society/Demon World Gourmet arc, where I guess it'll become Toriko.

Teenage Renaissance! David is just stupid and I hope it never returns, anywhere, after its Jump Start run. I'm From Japan was pretty dumb, too. A couple of the more recent Jump Starts I've liked, like Alice & Taiyo. Even the shogi and alien ones were better.