Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
FYI this is happening in a couple minutes

https://twitter.com/ohtori_nu/status/1038207739170705408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
At some point, we will probably talk about the elephant in the room of the three sibling couples in Utena and their varying degrees of inappropriate relations. For now, though, I'll just say:

None of these relationships are portrayed as remotely healthy.

I have way more to say on the topic, but it'll have to wait until we actually meet Kozue or Nanami.

I don't particularly like to talk about Miki and Kozue, mainly because I find Miki far and away the least interesting character in the series and I constantly want him to get off of the screen whenever he gets on it. That said, if you are disgusted by Miki and Kozue as you should be, maybe that's a reason to vote for Miki here: give him a love interest that's not either A. Anthy, a girl he can never get without winning a sword fight that's way out of his league, or B. his sister.

Vote's still ongoing. Right now I count 6 for joke and 2 for eyes.

Also, any thoughts on our teal-haired new character with the "ambiguous gender?"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

FYI this is happening in a couple minutes

Thanks for posting this, it was a really interesting watch, and it reminded me how I really just despise Anthy. Even at the end I have to question the story's assertions on whether she breaks free with Utena at all. Except in the movie version, where things are framed I guess more clearly for me. Perhaps I need to rewatch the tv series and it's just been too long and I've forgotten important points, but I definitely remember the feeling of "Utena wins, and somehow Anthy gets to share in that Victory even though she's basically following the system the entire time and just does/feels whatever the winner of the duels desires."

I cut a much larger post down to be the least spoilery as possible, but if it's still too much talking about the end of the story I'll withdraw the discussion until later on.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Patter Song posted:

I find Miki far and away the least interesting character in the series and I constantly want him to get off of the screen whenever he gets on it.
Agree.

Patter Song posted:

maybe that's a reason to vote for Miki here: give him a love interest that's not either A. Anthy, a girl he can never get without winning a sword fight that's way out of his league, or B. his sister.
No no no no. We're not wasting our precious rose-tinted high school years on someone like that.

I don't recognize mysterious teal hair from the anime, but it was years since I watched the whole thing. Game unique love interest? Hopefully she likes bad jokes. ;)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like Teal is our antagonist and not a love interest, though-- I guess nothing says they can't be both.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Potsticker posted:

Thanks for posting this, it was a really interesting watch, and it reminded me how I really just despise etc

I cut a much larger post down to be the least spoilery as possible, but if it's still too much talking about the end of the story I'll withdraw the discussion until later on.

I haven;t read the Mangas, but I felt in the tv series she broke free and decided to be her own person.

And Miki definitely had a crush on Utena at the end of the tv series.

Vote #1 Chu romance

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is Song your given name and Patter your family name?

I can't remember if Japanese is one of the cultures where they put the family name first and the given name second, let alone knowing whether they've programmed this game accordingly.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 8, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I feel that teal hair is being telegraphed as this game's Mikage. She's been around long enough to know our parents, has she...?

e: maybe it's because I'm interpreting the graffiti as implying she's controlling the non-utena duelists though

Leraika fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 8, 2018

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is Song your given name and Patter your family name?

I can't remember if Japanese is one of the cultures where they put the family name first and the given name second, let alone knowing whether they've programmed this game accordingly.

The original post addresses those questions. The translation keeps surname first, Japanese-style, and the LPer switched the positions of the two words so that it shows up as Patter Song in the text.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
All this speculation brings me so much joy as a dingus who has seen basically everything in this game.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I didn't want to A. Start my thread with a naming vote, B. Try to make up a Japanese name, or C. (Dios forbid) use my own actual IRL name, so SA name flipped it is.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sorry about the delay, real life stuff has gotten in the way. I will try to get the update up either tomorrow or the next day.

We're going to tell a joke.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While Miki and Kozue have an... unhealthy relationship, Miki at least is attracted to girls that aren't his sister. He loves Kozue, but as a sibling. Kozue, on the other hand, LOVES Miki, and wants to feel him wrapped around her, and inside of her, and wants to eat his organs and wear his skin like a suit so that they can be together always. Also, she actively tries to sleep with everything with two legs and a dick. She's 13.:cry:

Interestingly enough, I don't remember any of the "siblings" being in the original manga, just in the anime. I THINK Miki makes a reference to having a sister at one point, but that's it.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

Interestingly enough, I don't remember any of the "siblings" being in the original manga, just in the anime. I THINK Miki makes a reference to having a sister at one point, but that's it.

Only Nanami is missing from the manga; or rather, she appears in a picture frame once and that's all. The other sibling relationships are intact. Kozue features prominently in Miki's story. She's just a lot less memorable than anime Kozue.

Also, the manga is not necessarily the "original," since it and the anime were being developed concurrently. Perhaps it's better to think of them as... fraternal twins?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Empty Movement is doing another musical stream on Friday, which is slightly more notice than my last "they're starting literally right now lol" post.

https://twitter.com/ohtori_nu/status/1039880682351161344

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 12, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I should watch that.

Anyway, we'll be seeing plenty of Kozue in game later, so I'll talk about her when she shows up.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Empty Movement is doing another musical stream on Friday, which is slightly more notice than my last "they're starting literally right now lol" post

I strongly recommend that y'all watch the musical if you're at all familiar with Utena's storyline; it's awesome.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dallbun posted:

Also, the manga is not necessarily the "original," since it and the anime were being developed concurrently. Perhaps it's better to think of them as... fraternal twins?

FAKE EDIT: Turns out I was wrong, I had thought that the manga ended up lagging behind the series, but looking up the dates it did release first. I knew they were developed together, but I guess I just got confused due to how hard it was to get reliable information and imports back in the days of dodgy copied VHS tapes.

Leraika posted:

I strongly recommend that y'all watch the musical if you're at all familiar with Utena's storyline; it's awesome.

I caught Empty Movement's earlier stream and the musical is just amazingly well done.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Randalor posted:

While Miki and Kozue have an... unhealthy relationship, Miki at least is attracted to girls that aren't his sister. He loves Kozue, but as a sibling. Kozue, on the other hand, LOVES Miki, and wants to feel him wrapped around her, and inside of her, and wants to eat his organs and wear his skin like a suit so that they can be together always. Also, she actively tries to sleep with everything with two legs and a dick. She's 13.:cry:

Eh, I think Kozue doesn't know what she wants. Her attraction to Miki definitely has sexual elements, but you said it yourself - somehow this 13 year old girl has gotten the idea that sex is the solution to everything. She's just applying that mindset to her broken relationship with her brother, which is extremely unhealthy, but makes me suspect her wannabe incest deal with Miki is less about genuinely wanting to bang him and more about feeling like her worth as a person is tied up in sex, even when it comes to close familial relationships. I've only ever seen the TV show so maybe the movie derails this.

I just feel like she knows her relationship with Miki is broken and wants to fix it, but is frustrated both by his idealization of her as a younger child and inability to deal with her now and by her own twisted ideas about sex and relationships. She's an angry, neglected kid who desperately wants attention and found a way to get it, and who throws herself into what she sees as the adult world way too early. Miki, meanwhile, is the perfect kid to adults, while being achingly vulnerable... she resents his vulnerability but also wants to protect him from adults who'd take advantage of it, which is why she pushes the creepy music teacher down the stairs. She wants to go back to the days where she wasn't achingly aware of her status as second-string to Miki, but is aware that's impossible, so she propels herself forward in an extremely childish and immature way.

She also mostly treats Miki in a sisterly manner, it's not really canon that she wants to have sex with him, just that she uses sex with others as a way to try to get his attention. The situation is creepy, but I don't find her creepy. I just feel very sad for her.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 13, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Let's just say I didn't much like the anniversary manga chapter that portrayed Kozue as a passive victim who literally goes catatonic when rejected by Miki and definitely wants to marry him, as opposed to a wild and reckless girl lashing out at the entire world and trying to grow up too fast. There's nothing passive about Kozue in either the anime or the movie.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
The only characters I ever liked in this whole hot mess of a story were the two shadow puppets. Those two were like the perfect mix of cute and snarky, haha.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gideon020 posted:

The only characters I ever liked in this whole hot mess of a story were the two shadow puppets. Those two were like the perfect mix of cute and snarky, haha.

I feel calling this story a hot mess is off. The characters are pretty much all disasters to be around, sure, but the story is pretty tight (although I wish Tsuwabuki had less screen time).

And yes, I wouldn't want to be around any member of the cast, especially Anthy, who would be absolutely terrifying to be around if you knew what was going on.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Utena and Wakaba both would be good friends to have. :colbert:

Also, PetraCore I think your read on Kozue is spot-on. Thanks for writing that up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Potsticker posted:

Utena and Wakaba both would be good friends to have. :colbert:

Also, PetraCore I think your read on Kozue is spot-on. Thanks for writing that up.
Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was weird to launch into a big defense of the character when she hasn't been formally introduced yet, but other people were saying stuff. I weirdly am more invested in Kozue than Miki, but I appreciate that the cast has one character whose response to trauma isn't to act out or bully, but to be, well, Miki.

Also, I'd much rather be alone in a room with Anthy than Akio, but that's not exactly a high bar, is it?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chapter VII: Touga! Touga! Touga!

This will be an insanely short chapter. I'm just now getting over a nasty illness and I just want to get the thread back up and rolling. I'm sorry for leaving you guys waiting.

Anyway, last time you lot cruelly voted to see more of the dad jokes.

Dallbun will explain this joke, I'm sure, but it's some sort of pun.

Miki: Huh?

This joke is far clearer and recognizable. Sadly, the voice actress did not use the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse music cadence.

Patter Song: Don't worry, I'm not trying to 'Take the Mickey out of you!'

You already have, young lady. :negative:

At this point, the gong indicating that we've achieved yet another Dad Joke Point rings. We're up to two, moving inexorably closer to discovering what cruel punishment the game has for Dad Joking too much. You can always turn back, you know. We don't have to keep going down this road.

Miki: So, um, please enjoy yourselves! I've got to see to the arrangement of the food, and direct the music...

Miki makes a hurried exit from the obviously crazy girl.

Soundtrack: Eros of the Ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdd2ylk_GRg

Utena: I shouldn't have come after all.

This was obvious within the first 10 minutes of the Adolescence of Utena movie. Also, I have to know if this was also a pun in Japanese or if it was just fortuitous in the translation.

Patter Song: Then why did you come?

Utena: Well, I thought it would be kinda rude to refuse. Besides...

Patter Song: Besides, what?

Utena: Nothing.

Is it just me, or does Anthy look really good in this outfit?

Patter Song: Th..then you came to keep me company?

Utena: H-Hey, since we came all the way out here, let's go grab some food! C'mon, Himemiya.

Patter Song: (Utena's so kind...)

Soundtrack: Campus Dandy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRiOJ4J93g

Touga-sama! :swoon: ...In all seriousness, though, as we discussed earlier in the thread, Touga is the eye-candy sexy option in this game, at least for its intended audience. We've had a lot of discussions about what makes Touga work so well as a character in this thread, and now we can judge if he matches up in-game.

Patter Song: (He's wearing a uniform like Miki's...I guess he's in the Student Council, too? Anyway...Utena, this guy...)

Because Chiho Saito and Kunihiko Ikuhara.

Utena: What do you want?

Touga, you're supposed to say Prince, not Knight. That's the way you trigger Utena.

Utena: I guess you're free to ask.

Touga: Well, well. And who's this?

Utena: Oh, I'm not going to introduce you to her. If I introduced her to a playboy like you, who knows what would happen?

Hopefully, lots of things...

Touga: Hey, now. I'm the one who sent you an invitation, you know. Doesn't that count for anything? Or are you jealous?

Utena: W...who're you calling jealous!?

Touga: If you have any problems, by all means, come to me with them. Cute girls like yourself are particularly welcome.

Patter Song: (He called me cute...! I guess that stuff about him being a playboy is true.)

Well, here we are, thread! Do we Take the Compliment from Touga, or do we Refuse it? It's your choice! Remember, you already shot down Miki...will you do the same to the most popular guy in the whole school?

Find out next time! Until then, the Absolute Destiny Apocalypse!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game seems to be occasionally cruel in how it interprets your inputs.

I'd like to refuse the compliment if the game would chew that as playing hard to get.

He just doesn't strike me as one I'd want to be with as a significant lesser in the relationship.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 17, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!

I assume that's the ref anyway.

Let's take the compliment. Touga's a feminist, after all. I'm sure he means well.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

Accept the compliment

Also I just wanted to note I absolutely love the character analysis that's going on

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Dallbun will explain this joke, I'm sure, but it's some sort of pun.

Well, in the Japanese most of the sequence is the OC going off on how "Kimi, Miki!" ("You're Miki!") can be read the same backwards and forwards. Then it ends on a final bad pun which I am very proud of translating as the "take the mickey out of you" line.

THIS, however, is just a Hey Mickey reference. No regrets. :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I actually do wonder how the game reacts to you shutting down the most popular guy at school, but I think we have to still Take the Compliment because how weird is it in media where we're told someone is super popular but the main characters always hate/oppose them? That's-- not how popularity works at all!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

I actually do wonder how the game reacts to you shutting down the most popular guy at school, but I think we have to still Take the Compliment because how weird is it in media where we're told someone is super popular but the main characters always hate/oppose them? That's-- not how popularity works at all!

Well, our character's lens on Ohtori is Utena showing us the ropes, and she doesn't have the highest opinion of Touga (although if this game were set just an episode later, this scene would be very different).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That was more of a general complaint than one about this story in particular because you're absolutely correct.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Take it

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Refuse the compliment screw you Touga :mad:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Accept the compliment so we don't come across as rude to too many people when we're shiny and new.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Refusing might create friction that develops into passion so Accept.

Patter Song posted:

At this point, the gong indicating that we've achieved yet another Dad Joke Point rings. We're up to two, moving inexorably closer to discovering what cruel punishment the game has for Dad Joking too much. You can always turn back, you know. We don't have to keep going down this road.

Chooo Choo all aboard the train to Dadville, population extremely tacky!

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 17, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Let's be civil and accept. A compliment won't hurt.

Anime talk: I started watching and caught up with Revue Starlight, an anime which I believe is headed by someone who's worked with Ikuhara before, and it's certainly got an Utena vibe to it. I was as incredibly confused the first few episodes as I was with Utena. Good anime.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
It's a compliment, not an invitation to sex. Geez.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Refuse it. Touga is an interesting character, but still a schmoozy creep. Put him in his place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Refuse