Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

What is this?

In 1996, Kunihiko Ikuhara founded BePapas, a cohort of talented people involved in manga and anime, most notably himself and manga artist Chiho Saito, in hopes of launching a massively multimedia project. Saito was a talented manga artist and Ikuhara himself was the series director of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons of mega-hit Sailor Moon, as well as an episode director on the first season and the director of the first movie, Sailor Moon R: The Movie. Ikuhara recruited a collection of other highly talented people to work on a new project of his own devising, Revolutionary Girl Utena. Saito's manga would come out first, followed by Ikuhara's TV show (a 39 episode show that would air in three consecutive seasons over the course of basically the entirety of 1997), followed by this game in 1998, followed by the movie The Adolescence of Utena in 1999, the end of the project. Ikuhara would bring in talents from other anime, as well as pop singer Masami Okui, skilled composer Shinkichi Mitsumune who provided a Baroque-themed OST, and Japanese theater music indie legend J. A. Seazer's experimental choral rock to provide three wildly different genres of music to backdrop the project.

So super-weeb garbage trash, got you, bye.

Bye! Utena is not for everyone, and if you think all anime is automatically trash, I doubt you'll have too much interest in this thread. Utena is revolutionary for several key reasons that would be spoilers to mention, but will become clear over the course of this game for those who haven't seen the series before. That said, this is an anime visual novel, and if you're flat-out inherently opposed to that, this thread will not be for you.

So what is THIS? This game?

This game was released for the Sega Saturn in 1998. "Revolutionary Girl Utena: Four Days in Ohtori" is a fan name, it was released under the name Itsuka Kakumeisareru Monogatari, which translates as "Revolutionary Girl Utena: Tales From a Someday Revolution." I think the fan translation of the title gets at the point better, though.
You play as a new character in a new plot set between episodes 8 and 9 of the anime, and you are in Ohtori for four days. What you do with that is up to you.

So what is so "revolutionary" here?

Revolutionary Girl Utena, reflecting Ikuhara's sensibilities (he wasn't personally involved with this product, but his tastes are all over it), is very, very, very...interesting on gender issues. Ikuhara is on record as preferring settings where every character is bisexual because every possible love combination is a possibility, and this game goes with it.

For a visual novel from 1998, this leads to a truly startling result: you have five (Note: not actually five) love interests including two girls and three boys that you can pursue. Remember, though, this is Four Days at Ohtori. We aren't shooting for love for life.

How many possible endings are there?

There are 7 possible good endings, 1 standard bad ending, and 3 nonstandard secret bad endings if we make really bad choices. I am going to commit to getting to one (1) ending. If we end with the game over, that's just the way it is.

How are we going to do this?

Democracy! You all will vote on all of the major choices in the game, and the minor ones you don't vote on I will decide based on continuing the attitudes from prior votes.

How often will this thread update?

This game is super-easy to do as it is mostly transcribing text, with the only actual gameplay being the votes, and the gameplay entirely moving through text. Barring actual hiatuses due to real life considerations that may come along and will be noted in thread, I will attempt to update once a week, which should put us as done in ~3 months. (This game is REALLY short. If you wanted to, you could beat it in three hours, maybe two).

Is this game true to the spirit of the show?

At first, you will 100% have some doubts, but I guarantee by the end of the process, you will not. This show is truly Utena.

So who are our possible lovers? And who are we?

We are a new character for the game, whom I have taken the liberty of naming Song Patter (the names are all rendered Asian-style by the translation patch, with first name last). There is one other new game-only character we will be seeing. All of the characters will be introduced in bonus posts when they appear.

How are you playing this?

With the Saturn emulator SSF, with the translation patch.

Where can I get this game and the translation patch?

Nice try. It's a big Internet out there, find it yourself. Feel free to play along if you want to.

There are quite a few Lets Plays of this game on Youtube. Why should I follow this thread?

To watch as Goon Democracy doubtless leads us to one of the non-standard bad ends because you're all terrible people because a playthrough of this game only scratches the surface of what it has to offer. I have no clue what some of these endings are like!

What's your spoiler policy?

ABSOLUTELY NO GAME SPOILERS. I don't care if you've played it before: you can still vote. However, no "this answer raises our rating with Touga by 9, but the OTHER option raises our rating with Touga by 9 and also raises our rating with Miki by 18" or anything. That is strictly 100% banned. You can collaborate with people to try to push a certain ending, but no telling what the options do. You're free to guess. I can't read your minds, obviously, but if you know better, don't say anything. Like I said, I'm 100% fine with you all trying to do something and ending up failing and getting a game over. I'd prefer that to everyone trying to look up what things do.

As for show spoilers? This game is set between eps 8 and 9 of the series, but it references events way later on. I will do my best to avoid major spoilers (you know what those major Utena spoilers are if you've watched the show, so don't reveal them either) but some content past that point in the series will have to come out as we play. This game predates the movie, so any discussion of the movie is off limits. Please try to not make this Ikuhara general thread: I don't really care if you loved Mawaru Penguindrum because you are sexually fixated on railway maps or hated Yuri Kuma Arashi because it...um...I haven't actually watched Yuri Kuma Arashi, so fill in criticism there. If you want to say that you think a theme explored here was explored differently in one of those other works, go for it, but don't just randomly spoil Penguindrum or Yuri Kuma for no reason. Feel free to note similarities in character design or whatever with Sailor Moon given that Ikuhara directed that as well, but I also don't want to hear major spoilers about that show. Also, while I should hope this thread is dead by the release of his 2019 show Sarazanmai, if I'm somehow still doing this at this point, don't discuss it here.

Can I watch the entirety of Utena legally for free in a conveniently-accessible place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQFlVcPyUA

Knock yourself out, courtesy of the nice folks at Nozomi Entertainment.

Is there a really stupid, tone-dissonant OP that would leave Ikuhara in hysterics laughing about how out of place it is?

There sure is! This is a completely screenshot LP, but luckily, the opening is on Youtube already. You can watch the whole cringefest here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLQY9r1VPcM but I will be providing screenshots, lyric translations (courtesy of the friendly folks at ohtori.nu), and commentary on the opening below.

Roses are important in Utena. They're a commonly-reused motif, and, more importantly, every character is color-coded and a rose will be associated with him/her. The mouse/monkey is Chu-Chu, the comic relief cute animal. Chu-Chu is a monkey who looks like a mouse. He will be properly introduced when he's introduced in game (this goes for all future characters).

Akio, Saionji, and Touga sing together:

"Now, gather here
For the daily life of the Academy,
together with us"

These three male characters are all authority figures from Utena's perspective, and they're all supposed to be/are absurdly handsome. We will get into that as we progress into the game and meet them.

Mr. Touga "I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt So I always leave the jacket unbuttoned" Kiryuu.

Akio, we just met!

Not you too, Saionji! Sadly for Mr. Saionji "I Will Beat You Until You Love Me Like All Things Should" Kyouichi, his nipples get covered by Akio and Touga. Saionji will never get to shine with them around. :saddowns:

Supporting cast is also here. (We will meet all of these people in time, but they aren't date targets, so nope)

Cut to a Sunlit Garden somewhere:

Utena and Jury sing together while Miki and Anthy play the piano and Miki's twin sister Kozue looks bitterly on from the background:

"Our wandering days flourish in a new time
With no hope of halting the waves of reminiscence in either dazzling midday or night"

Ms. Utena "I Am Not Your Protagonist Even Though My Name is On The Box" Tenjou herself.

Ms. Jury "I'm Too Cool To Be In A Dating Sim And I Resent You Even Considering Taking My Path" Arisugawa reluctantly sings her lines, but full of condescension. She didn't even want to be in this game, you know, but contracts are contracts.

Mr. Miki "I'm the One Everyone Forgets About And You Should Definitely Not Take My Path Because I Am A Thirteen Year Old Boy What the Hell Is Wrong With You" Kaoru plays the piano with Anthy.

Would you believe that people mistake Utena for a boy?

Awww...Our Protagonist with Ms. Chigusa "I'm a Game-Original Character" Sanjoin herself.

Chigusa is in turquoise, we're in purple.

Utena and Jury sing: "Time goes on, and the curtains close
Until time expires, let's compose our memories"

Jury, at sunset, is haunted by her memories of Ms. Shiori "I Never Appear In This Game Outside of the Intro" Takatsuki. Luckily for us, we'll never have to interact with her! :toot: If Shiori becomes relevant (that is, if we go down Jury's path), we will talk about this character. Otherwise, enjoy your two seconds of screentime!

Utena is depressed. What could possibly cheer her up?

Oh, hey, these guys!

Saionji, Touga, and Akio sing: "Now, gather here
For the daily life of the Academy, together with us"

All sing: "Now, sing! Even sorrow is something shining at the End of the World!"

Rapid montage ensues.

Hi there! That's a weird shot you're standing in front of. Are you even in this game?

Isn't Utena without sword duels and Anthy!

Well, that does it for the opening. Next time, in Chapter I, we will get young Patter Song to Ohtori Academy and make our first choice.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Day One

Chapter I: Anime Dad Is A Jerk

Chapter II: Saionji, Chased Off By Three 14 Year Old Girls

Chapter III: Is Protagonist Us Just Blind or Something?

Chapter IV: Pleased To Meet You, Won't You Guess My Name?

Chapter V: My Student Council Didn't Have Ominous Organ Music

Chapter VI: I Don't See Gender.

Chapter VII: Touga! Touga! Touga!

Chapter VIII: Really, It's Only Implied Incest, So It Doesn't Count

Chapter IX: You Mean This Game Has A Plot?

Chapter X: Sleep Alone or What?

Day Two

Chapter XI: Actually, Wakaba, the One I Like Is...

Chapter XII: Life Sucks For An Ohtori NPC

Chapter XIII: No One Told Me There Would Be Math Involved

Chapter XIV: Going Clubbing

Chapter XV: This Is What You Wanted, Thread

Chapter XVI: Houou City

Chapter XVII: I'm Upset

Chapter XVIII: Patter Song Sucks At Fighting Games

Chapter XIX: Kashira, Kashira, Gozonji Kashira?

Chapter XX: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Day Three

Chapter XXI: Who Are You Calling An Unpleasant Girl?

Chapter XXII: That's a Red Card

Chapter XXIII: Yes, This Thread Still Exists

Fan Art

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Chapter I: Anime Dad Is A Jerk

OK, New Game is the obvious answer here, but what is School Handbook?

It's mostly untranslated Japanese, but it does have this screen. This screen should have all the routes I've successfully completed on it. It only has one and I should have three stamps.

Nothing for it but to start the game!
Music: The Sunlit Garden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzaHyVqHag

Anime Dad and Anime Mom. Anime Dad looks a lot like Touga with brown hair, while Anime Mom looks a lot like Shiori with purple hair. You can tell we're saying the dialogue because of the red rose dialogue icon. Anyway, the track in question, The Sunlit Garden, is associated with two things in the series: First, with Utena's origin story, and Second, with Miki. We're getting it because this is our origin story. My comments are in italics

Anime Dad: "That's right! You've heard of it before, haven't you? It's a place in Houou City called Ohtori Academy!"

Patter Song: "Ohtori Academy? That's a really prestigious school, isn't it?"

Anime Mom: "You know, a long time ago, your father used to teach at Ohtori Academy."

Anime Dad: "Thanks to that connection, the Chairman of the Board asked if we'd like to send you there. So what do you think? Isn't it a nice offer?"

Our parents never told us this, somehow. Poor Patter Song has been going to a school whose main attraction is the rabbit hutch for years while her parents were good friends with the Chairman of Ohtori.

Patter Song: "Yeah..."

Anime Dad: "Ohtori Academy is an excellent place."

Anime Mom: "In fact, it's where your father and I first met."

Patter Song: "Really?"

And we never knew our Mom was a student at Ohtori! Patter Song knows frighteningly little about her parents.

Anime Dad: "That's right! If you go, you should check out the fencing hall! It's the pretty, chalk-white building behind the library. You can't miss it!"

We know that about our father, but not that he taught at Ohtori Academy?

Anime Dad: "Yeah! So when I was at Ohtori, I served as the Fencing Club Advisor."

Anime Mom: "Your father was so dreamy back then!"

Anime Dad: "You looked pretty cool too, in your fencing suit."

...So Mom was a student and Dad was a teacher. Just checking. Needless to say, being a true Utena character, Protagonist Patter Song will not even question this revelation.

Anime Mom: "I may have looked cool, but I wasn't very good."

You're 100% supposed to hate Anime Dad's guts right now. That isn't a culture clash moment or something like that. Well, we're off to Ohtori to prove Anime Dad wrong, that we can be a strong woman who doesn't need anything...or we're going to agree with him, depending on who the thread thinks Protagonist Patter Song is.

New track: "Eros of the Ball" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdd2ylk_GRg

Here we are. Protagonist Patter Song has purple as her color and is bright, cheerful, and naive as to what faces her in this place.

New track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykMzAhogJ7E Campus Scarlet (Utena's Theme). This song is the theme of Utena the character, not Utena the show, just to avoid confusion.

To someone who watched the series, all these sets should take you right back. To other people, you may be wondering how a school is supposed to have a dueling forest, a giant penis-tower, etc. Ohtori is an odd place, and the architecture is weird. Just be glad this isn't a game based on the Utena movie.

Music is still playing after the montage, but we've settled on looking at the Birdcage.

Patter Song: Even the way it's laid out feels extravagant. I mean, there's a forest on the school grounds!"

Even dumb-as-hell Protagonist Us sees there's something off here...but she misattributes it:

Patter Song: "Just like you'd expect from such a famous school...the campus is so huge! Let's see, where is the middle school? Elementary school, high school...there are so many buildings! It'll take a while to get my bearings. What's that traditional-looking building, a martial arts gym?"

Patter Song: "It figures! Huh? What's that?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgr3t2wEE7M New audio track: Invisible Roses (Anthy's Theme).

Patter Song: "Oh, someone's there!"

Main characters are color-coded, as said before. Saionji is green, so any dialogue he has will have a green flower. Saionji will be introduced when we first speak to him, but saying green's his color is safe for now. Also, I really didn't want to have to call him "man in green" for the rest of the update.

Saionji: "Are you saying that our love is a lie? On that day, didn't you devote yourself to me?"

Anthy's color is purple. Anthy will be introduced formally when we speak to her, but she's the girl Saionji is speaking to. Also, honorifics are a thing in this translation patch. -sama indicates addressing someone of higher social rank.

Saionji: "So you're saying you cannot accept my love?"

Anthy: "Yes..."

Protagonist Us is such a voyeur.

Patter Song: "Huh, I wonder if he's from the high school section? He looks grown up, and he's super-hot. Is he her boyfriend?"

Protagonist Us is expressing interest in Saionji...will the thread agree? Is Saionji our destiny, our true love?

Saionji: "As...they wish..."

Anthy: "Yes. As they wish." :geno:

Yes, everyone who knows anything whatsoever about Utena would've seen this coming, but Saionji did slap Anthy hard enough to send her to the ground. Poor Anthy.

Patter Song: "I don't know what's going on, but it looks like I've stumbled on a major incident! I can't just leave her alone...what should I do?"

Well, thread, the decision is yours. Do we confront the big, tough, green-haired Adonis in Anthy's defense, or do we just assume that a muscular man who will beat one woman will beat others and that discretion is the better part of virtue?

The choice is yours: Will we be Anthy's Prince on a white horse and say I've got to save her, or, because there never was a Prince in this world, will we slink away and Watch the situation?

I will see you next time. Until then, Absolute Destiny Apocalypse.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 3, 2018

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

save the poor girl

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Say no to hitting people

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
There's literally no reason not to intervene. Also, Saionji sucks and any opportunity to ruin his day is a good one.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Intervene. Kick his unnaturally-long rear end if possible.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Intervene. Team "gently caress Saionji" over here.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kayten posted:

Intervene. Team "gently caress Saionji" over here.

Is that Team "gently caress Saionji" :black101: or... Team "gently caress Saionji" :pervert:? Only time and democracy will tell!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I never pass up an opportunity to knock Saionji.

For one thing he's bad at packing for camping trips, one person does not need three dozen eggs for one meal

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've beaten this game and gotten every ending I am the internet's foremost expert on this wonderful trash. This game is gorgeous and it is 100% voiced by the original cast, which is frankly, insane.

SSF really sucks for this game tho imo, it's old software and hasn't been updated in years. Bizhawk is way more stable and doesnt have a ton of problems I encountered when I first started playing this (including random losses of save data) . I'd recommend switching to it since you're not thst deep in yet.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've beaten this game and gotten every ending I am the internet's foremost expert on this wonderful trash. This game is gorgeous and it is 100% voiced by the original cast, which is frankly, insane.

SSF really sucks for this game tho imo, it's old software and hasn't been updated in years. Bizhawk is way more stable and doesnt have a ton of problems I encountered when I first started playing this (including random losses of save data) . I'd recommend switching to it since you're not thst deep in yet.

It is super-impressive for a 1998 game and I love the voice-acting, but also the full original series soundtrack. For a game that fits on two CDs, there's some file suppression sorcery going on, given the sheer amount of audio.

I will look into Bizhawk.

I am mainly doing this thread because I was impressed by this little unassuming VN. It is way better than it has any right to be. If it weren't for the blurry 240p cutscenes, the visuals would be indistinguishable from the series, and the audio is on point. The plot wouldn't be out of place with the series and actually complements the series' plot quite well.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Pimpslap his face across the campus

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Literally nothing in this game violates canon.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm gonna be the official Anti-Romantic here:

Enjoy the show

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

This is a great game adaptation of a great anime. It's also a game that's really easy to lose, what the hell.

Help her.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Isn't it amazing how a single event can cause you to instantly lose respect for two different people, for entirely different reasons?

Him, because seriously, casual violence against a woman? Misogny much?

Her, because way to be a carpet. Seriously, you just described yourself as an object to be won, and that you're okay with that. Have some self-respect, Christ.

Intervene, but only because he needs an rear end beating himself.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Save Anthy and make Saionji's life as hellish as possible

I first remember hearing about Utena years ago at an anime club I used to go to (hey, it was a different time, and everything was fansubbed on VHS). One member described the cast as "They're all trisexual, as in they will try anything sexual". After watching the whole series later on... Not QUITE accurate, but it's definitely close.

Definitely a good series worth watching through at least once though. What was up with the shadow play girls though? Was that ever actually said or even implied who/what they were outside of the final movie? Spoilers for something that I don't know if it would be a spoiler for the game or even the series.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Randalor posted:

I first remember hearing about Utena years ago at an anime club I used to go to (hey, it was a different time, and everything was fansubbed on VHS). One member described the cast as "They're all trisexual, as in they will try anything sexual". After watching the whole series later on... Not QUITE accurate, but it's definitely close.

Definitely a good series worth watching through at least once though. What was up with the shadow play girls though? Was that ever actually said or even implied who/what they were outside of the final movie? Spoilers for something that I don't know if it would be a spoiler for the game or even the series.

I’m pretty sure they’re just a Greek chorus, and not actual characters with individual motivations or anything. Like the Muses in Disney’s Hercules.

In the series at least, the movie is its own thing.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

It's not a spoiler to say that every single episode of Utena has color commentary from a pair/trio of Shadow Girls, giving their views as to the morals of the episode, shedding light on deeper meaning, or just being weird and hilarious. As this game is structured like several episodes worth of Utena, yes, we will be seeing them, and yes, they will have thoughts on the events of the game.

As for who they are in the series...they are the Shadow Girls! A-Ko, B-Ko, and C-Ko (Girl A, Girl B, and Girl C) are characters with their own arcs that you can follow through the series and distinct personalities (especially C-Ko, who is far stranger than the other two). They're here to lend their helpful color commentary.

Also, you do see them in human form in the show.

Do the people Utena is talking to look familiar?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Oh look, another reason I really need to rewatch the show. Adding to the pile of I've got to save her

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Main game translator here. Ayu Ohseki translated about half the text and I did the other half, then I did the final passes, editing, etc. Excoriate me as necessary.

Looking forward to the LP going forward!

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Just to be a contrarian, don't save her, that's someone else's job.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've got to save her and crack his skull like the shell of an egg.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Patter Song posted:

It's not a spoiler to say that every single episode of Utena has color commentary from a pair/trio of Shadow Girls, giving their views as to the morals of the episode, shedding light on deeper meaning, or just being weird and hilarious. As this game is structured like several episodes worth of Utena, yes, we will be seeing them, and yes, they will have thoughts on the events of the game.

As for who they are in the series...they are the Shadow Girls! A-Ko, B-Ko, and C-Ko (Girl A, Girl B, and Girl C) are characters with their own arcs that you can follow through the series and distinct personalities (especially C-Ko, who is far stranger than the other two). They're here to lend their helpful color commentary.

Also, you do see them in human form in the show.

Do the people Utena is talking to look familiar?

Oh okay. I knew they showed up as students at least once in the show proper (and I think they're background characters in large crowds as well, or at least people with similar hair), but considering how... metaphorical? allegorical? things get later on in the series, I didn't know if there was anything deeper than the "greek chorus" aspect that I just missed.

I always did like the way that Utena was handled as a franchise, it has a very fairy-tale-esue aspect to it, in that the four versions of the story (manga, anime, movie, manga of the movie) are all similar, but different re-tellings of the same story.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dallbun posted:

Main game translator here. Ayu Ohseki translated about half the text and I did the other half, then I did the final passes, editing, etc. Excoriate me as necessary.

Looking forward to the LP going forward!

I promise I won't blame you if we find one of the untranslateably bad jokes.

Also, thanks for your hard work.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I missed out on this series when I was a young anime-watcher, but watching the first episode on youtube persuaded me that this is definitely my jam. I look forward to more princess asskicker shenanigans :dance:

also we gotta slap the taste out of Saionji's mouth for smacking around folks who can't fight him back

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
...Yeah, calling the vote. Only two votes for sitting back and watching, so we will intervene and step up to Saionji.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, so I went ahead an watched the first episode on youtube.

Let me see if I understand the plot of this trainwreck.

- Our hero/ine Utena lost her parents as a young child.
- Some dude ("A Prince") visited her an consoled her. He told her to be strong and gave her MacGuffinSpecial Ring. The show offers the interpretation that this ring is an Engagement Ring, but-
- Utena's reaction to dude riding in on a White Horse to Sweep Her Off Her Feet was "That's awesome, I wanna be a Prince!" Insert Irony Horns here.
- Fast forward to inexplicably Magical Middle/High School. This is Utena's second year. She insists on wearing a boy's uniform, which confuses her teachers. She has a friend that refers to her as "Her Boyfriend". Okay.
- Today is also the first day of the game! We get to see events play out after Saionji smacks the crap out of Anthy.

It occurs to me that despite my having never played this game, that talking about the remainder of episode one may spoil events in the LP, so I'll cut it there. Suffice to say that I understand the show and some of these characters better now, and am doubling down on Saionji and Anthy both being awful, yikes. Based on his comment at the end of Episode One I'm further going to add Touga to the list of Skeevy Fucks Yikes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The game just forces us to watch Saionji slap Anthy again, like the show does in literally every iteration of the story across all media and I hate it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The game just forces us to watch Saionji slap Anthy again, like the show does in literally every iteration of the story across all media and I hate it.

Not only that, it literally uses the clip from episode 1 (albeit in blurry 240p in a notable degradation of image quality). It comes to mind that if this game came out literally one year later on the Dreamcast, it could perfectly match the image quality of the series in addition to the way it already matches its audio quality.

RickVoid posted:

- Today is also the first day of the game! We get to see events play out after Saionji smacks the crap out of Anthy.

Won't comment on the rest of your comments, but this isn't accurate. This game is set after episode 8. Saionji is just slapping Anthy again. Just like Utena's first day of school involves watching Anthy get beaten by Saionji, Our Protagonist needs to witness the same.

Like I said, I'm going to do character profiles of all the main characters when they're officially introduced, and next time, that includes Saionji, Anthy, and Utena, so I will get into my thoughts about them at that point. I will also do my best to avoid ruining the viewing experience.

For now, suffice to say that every (literally every) character in the series has more going on than they appear to, and this goes double for Anthy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Not only that, it literally uses the clip from episode 1 (albeit in blurry 240p in a notable degradation of image quality). It comes to mind that if this game came out literally one year later on the Dreamcast, it could perfectly match the image quality of the series in addition to the way it already matches its audio quality.

Won't comment on the rest of your comments, but this isn't accurate. This game is set after episode 8. Saionji is just slapping Anthy again. Just like Utena's first day of school involves watching Anthy get beaten by Saionji, Our Protagonist needs to witness the same.

Like I said, I'm going to do character profiles of all the main characters when they're officially introduced, and next time, that includes Saionji, Anthy, and Utena, so I will get into my thoughts about them at that point. I will also do my best to avoid ruining the viewing experience.

For now, suffice to say that every (literally every) character in the series has more going on than they appear to, and this goes double for Anthy.

Well okay then! I'll refrain from further commentary though, since I don't know what's a spoiler and what isn't.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It wouldn't be Utena media without seeing people be insufferable jerks.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

Well okay then! I'll refrain from further commentary though, since I don't know what's a spoiler and what isn't.

If you stick with the show, you don't need to worry about spoiling the game until you get considerably farther, at least to the Black Rose Arc (starts episode 13). I'd be more concerned about the LP spoiling your viewing experience than the other way around, although I'll try to avoid doing that. It's totally OK if you or SatansOnion, who also said s/he was watching the show for the first time, wants to drop in your first thoughts on that first arc. That said, given everyone else is going to, you are 100% welcome to state your thoughts on the main characters as we meet them in the game and whether or not you want Our Protagonist to cozy up to them or remain more aloof or outright hostile.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh boy Utena LP oh boy oh boy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Patter Song posted:

Supporting cast is also here. (We will meet all of these people in time, but they aren't date targets, so nope)
You can't date Chu-Chu? Rated 1, unsubscribed.

Intervene.

My super-vague memories tell me that Jury is literally the least terrible person in the entire school (with the possible exception of Utena), so I'm preemptively favoring her.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Xander77 posted:

My super-vague memories tell me that Jury is literally the least terrible person in the entire school (with the possible exception of Utena)

Depends on whether you're more tolerant of Juri's or Miki's particular brands of shittiness.

Given full freedom of options, I would hang out exclusively with Wakaba, but alas.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dallbun posted:

Depends on whether you're more tolerant of Juri's or Miki's particular brands of shittiness.

Given full freedom of options, I would hang out exclusively with Wakaba, but alas.

Wakaba is best girl. A shame.

I'm five episodes in. Why do school animes have to have a jealous little sister character? Ugh.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Happily, there's more to that character than that. She ended up one of my favorite characters in the whole series.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Wakaba is best girl. A shame.

I'm five episodes in. Why do school animes have to have a jealous little sister character? Ugh.

Nanami rules actually. Best character in the show.

https://twitter.com/revgirlutena/status/1008786424760553472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I have to say, when I learned this existed I was genuinely curious.

And I'm not sure if Bizhawk would be the best emulator to use. I tried to use it when I played a bit of Magic School Lunar, but it was a mess. Then again that was an earlier version of Bizhawk and they update that thing every week... (I genuinely don't remember what emulator I ended up using... I deleted it. drat it, past me!)

It's too bad that this wasn't made later, so it could be based on the movie instead. If only for the fact that it would give us an Utena racing game, which needs to exist.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 11, 2018