Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sextro posted:

Same thing with rice + bean meals. I'll feel satisfied longer from a cup of rice with an egg stirred into it or a single serve pouch of tuna stirred in than I would from a heaping bowl of beans and rice.

I thought beans were chock full of the protein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

I thought beans were chock full of the protein?

Oh yeah lots of protein, but 1:1 ratio bean + rice is not to my taste texture-wise, so I'd have to either short on the beans or just have a massive portion of rice to get an equivalent amount of protein in a meal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Gotcha. Well, egg in rice is amazing so I guess you're alright anyhow.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

put leftovers, maybe or maybe not protein. My fav stir fry is something like https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&pagenumber=1013&perpage=40#post477404396 but you don't need pork, the noodles are more filling than rice to me.

why not tofu?

I am probably not preparing it correctly for stir fry, the soft texture kind of bothers me in that context. I like tofu in other applications, but I kind of hate it mixed in with crispy stuff like broccoli.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

:shrug: I mean sure maybe some protein helps, but it's not like there's agreement on how much you need or whatever. If you eat rice and beans it's not like you're getting zero protein.

I have no idea why you're reading so much into "I would like protein with my veggies in stir fry, what do"

Thanks everyone for the ideas :)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hawkgirl posted:

I am probably not preparing it correctly for stir fry, the soft texture kind of bothers me in that context. I like tofu in other applications, but I kind of hate it mixed in with crispy stuff like broccoli.

I have no idea why you're reading so much into "I would like protein with my veggies in stir fry, what do"

If it's just a texture thing, I prefer extra firm tofu for stir fries and while you might already be doing this, if you don't mind a little extra prep, you can press out the excess water, dredge the tofu in riceflour/cornflour/whatever starch and fry it separately until desired texture is achieved, then just sauce it at the end. You can get it anywhere from light and crispy to dense and chewy depending on method and what style of tofu you use.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Hawkgirl posted:

Eggs as mentioned, toasted cashews as well. Plus the obvious more veg than you think you need, eg 3% protein in broccolli, mushrooms, 2% protein in beans and some greens.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 17, 2018

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Holy poo poo I just got done working 3 days of the Las Vegas Greek Food Festival. Was volunteering at the gyro booth, and I slung over 1500 of those bad boys each day. I'm greasy, exhausted, and very happy about the whole thing, but boy am I remembering how happy I was to leave food service all those years ago.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
bbbbbbbbbbbbbb

gws I just don't know anymore, this place is dying :/

is anyone else moving towards discord? I dunno, a good 40% of my food chat has gone that way - https://discord.gg/ZfFqpuw

at least dr. wiggles is still slinging his discounted costco greekmeat, rest in power brutha

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I hate videogames thus I cannot stand discord. If this and does I'll probably just become a bitter angry old man at punk shows yelling at people.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I hate videogames thus I cannot stand discord. If this and does I'll probably just become a bitter angry old man at punk shows yelling at people.

I mean video games aside its just a chat thing. there are no video games in my food chat channel, EG

anyways I hate social media and don't use facebook or instantgram or twitter or anything so a IRC chat thing seems about as best I'm gonna get without being a bitter old man myself

if I had a little more effort in me I'd make a food channel dialup BBS

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

God I miss BBS. I remember thinking it was hella cool to talk to people ALL OVER TOWN about SHARED INTERESTS! wow!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's called nextdoor https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1041463894924058630 food related

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You put an orange next to it and it still didn't click? It's a citrus reamer! Make yourself some fresh juice!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

mindphlux posted:

I mean video games aside its just a chat thing. there are no video games in my food chat channel, EG

anyways I hate social media and don't use facebook or instantgram or twitter or anything so a IRC chat thing seems about as best I'm gonna get without being a bitter old man myself

if I had a little more effort in me I'd make a food channel dialup BBS

a lot of us are in a facebook group these days

a videogame facebook group :hellyeah:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mindphlux posted:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb

gws I just don't know anymore, this place is dying :/

is anyone else moving towards discord? I dunno, a good 40% of my food chat has gone that way - https://discord.gg/ZfFqpuw

at least dr. wiggles is still slinging his discounted costco greekmeat, rest in power brutha

Seems to be doing fine to me. :shrug:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

isn’t the slack still active?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Whoa, there's a slack? Can someone invite me?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

No

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Rude.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I have a notebook filled with my recently passed grandmother's dessert recipes, which she never had time to teach me. The problem is, they're all handwritten in Greek.

Anyone have any experience in getting handwritten notes translated into English? I'll gladly share once I have them legible.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

EVG posted:

I have a notebook filled with my recently passed grandmother's dessert recipes, which she never had time to teach me. The problem is, they're all handwritten in Greek.

Anyone have any experience in getting handwritten notes translated into English? I'll gladly share once I have them legible.
Google Translate has a camera-based translate option and also an option to translate handwriting(though this may be a more tedious option)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I would try and find a native speaker who is also into cooking. There are likely going to be some differences that go beyond simple translation, and a community would know things such as "oh yeah, flour used to have less protein in it, so change the recipe by X"

I'd start here:
https://www.facebook.com/search/groups/?q=greek%20cooking

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I present a video. Discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcJS3nQjhqM

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

no

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
beep

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

i want to kill myself

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E-ebtOZWfA&hd=1

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I find the plantain crust idea interesting in principle, but everything else in that video looks awful. And I'd rather make a cauliflower crust if I need GF crust for some reason.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

There's some poo poo Babish does that I can't technically fault him on, on a near Chef John level of youtube cooking. There's some poo poo that he executes really well, despite it looking horrific.

Then there's some poo poo he does that's like, an I want to report YouTube to the cops level food crime and I don't know for sure (IANAL) but I think this one's bad at like, a federal level

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

to be fair, babish does admit it's ruining pizza. his whole thing is interpreting tv show recipes, so it's gonna be horrific at times.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And that's not even counting his allergy to the sweet sweeet banang. But yeah, I had hopes back in the day when I first saw the episode. Such is life though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I still want to make the taco town taco someday.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Fat on goat and fatoush.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I think the worst part of that video is that he couldn't even manage to make pudding correctly. :smith:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Liquid Communism posted:

I think the worst part of that video is that he couldn't even manage to make pudding correctly. :smith:
Binging with Babish is an amazing video series by a rather mediocre cook.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TychoCelchuuu posted:

He's not that mediocre.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One of these days I’m going to make the Cubano from Chef because of his video. Or I may just stop at the pork and eat that because it looks incredible.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
When it's good food it's pretty entertaining, when it's comedy trash I just can't be bothered.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The comedy trash is why I watch, especially because he tries to make the trash recipe good and almost always succeeds. My favorite are any cartoons with weird challenges like anything Regular Show or the $200 omelette from Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can't get mad at a guy with no professional cooking experience that makes what he does. I think he is pretty solid for an entertainment channel about bad TV food.