Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dietrich posted:

I'm pretty sure this is for the rework on Garden of Terror.

no its imperius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Rose Quartz confirmed at last

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dietrich posted:

I'm pretty sure this is for the rework on Garden of Terror.

Why would they do a tweet like that, the kind of thing that's usually a hint for an upcoming thing, for a rework they've already showed off

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Macaluso posted:

Why would they do a tweet like that, the kind of thing that's usually a hint for an upcoming thing, for a rework they've already showed off

They’re probably doing a themed event around it; they teased something similar for the Mad Max skins. Rose petal Brightwing, thorns-themed Kerrigan, and a couple other extras. (dare we dream for fancy knight Vikings?)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dire Human posted:

They’re probably doing a themed event around it; they teased something similar for the Mad Max skins. Rose petal Brightwing, thorns-themed Kerrigan, and a couple other extras. (dare we dream for fancy knight Vikings?)

Well that makes sense yeah, but they're not teasing the rework alone

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Azmodan and Raynor got a skin event, we're probably getting a Brightwing and Kerrigan skin event around their whole thorns nexus lore crap but meant to be evocative of other stuff too, who knows what yet.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We did team ranked in a 3 man party. My calibration games went 3-7 and I got a Silver 5 rank. Not bad considering we got dunked most of thr time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

kerri already has more skins than anyone. regular, master, cheerleader, human, vampire, two varieties of titty demon...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

As someone who hasn't touched the game in a year, what's the meta like for HL and stuff? Any heroes released in the past year I should be unlocking first?

Dire Human posted:

It's not Garden; it's Dragon Shire. They released a second comic over the summer where the Lady of Thorns is taking with Cain about how the Raven Lord wants to take over Dragon Shire.

It's part of their weird, inconsistent lore rollout.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 16, 2018

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In my experience:
Fenix is just brutally overpowered. Shoot dudes with your lasers and if they attack you warp to safety.

Yrel seems invincible and also impossible to disengage from

Whitemane puts out insane healing if you take Clemency and huge healing if you don’t. Also some of the best voice acting in the game.

Dunno about the others. Raynor is huge now

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Holy poo poo, they added Mephisto. Guess I gotta start playing again.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Whitemane puts out insane healing if you take Clemency and huge healing if you don’t. Also some of the best voice acting in the game.

Blizzard could nerf Whitemane into the ground and I would still pick her solely for the anime villainess laugh.

The announcer is amazing too. Guilty.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

As someone who hasn't touched the game in a year, what's the meta like for HL and stuff? Any heroes released in the past year I should be unlocking first?
It's not Garden; it's Dragon Shire. They released a second comic over the summer where the Lady of Thorns is taking with Cain about how the Raven Lord wants to take over Dragon Shire.

It's part of their weird, inconsistent lore rollout.

Yeah it seems like Fenix and Yrel are some of the top solo laners in the game and Whitemane is competing with tyrande for op support. Whitemane has more sheer healing and tyrande has more play making capability..

Mephisto may be slightly over tuned at the moment

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I miss the Unreal Tournament announcer. Dota has it, it would be cool in Hots too.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

blastron posted:

Blizzard could nerf Whitemane into the ground and I would still pick her solely for the anime villainess laugh.

The announcer is amazing too. Guilty.

Every HOTS hero has a stronger personality and a better design than the game they hail from.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I can think of at least three characters off of the top of my head that's not true for.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Characters that are still in WoW to this day have a lot of material, so I imagine heroes like Jaina and Sylvanas have a lot going for them (even though it might be a bit schizophrenic after two decades).

Characters from Overwatch have animated movies, comics, interactions and way better models+animations. You can’t top that in a MOBA.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 16, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

I can think of at least three characters off of the top of my head that's not true for.

Which ones?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
neither diablo nor mephisto feel very... one to one with their source material imo. like yes mephisto shoots that drat missile and i guess his global ult is like those lil fuckers who show up and smack you every now and then in his level, but... ehh.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What is Diablo's personality in Diablo?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

No Wave posted:

What is Diablo's personality in Diablo?

angery

(not a wrestler)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

caberham posted:

Which ones?

Arthas, Tassadar, Nova, and Zul'jin.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zul'Jin doesn't count since they picked the pre-WoW version, you know, the one that has two arms and two eyes.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

He absolutely counts. Pre-WoW Zul'jin had way better visual design and had character motivations that didn't suck.

Kith fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 16, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kith posted:

He absolutely counts. Pre-WoW Zul'jin had way better visual design and had character motivations that didn't suck.

Look at this guy, talking about Warcraft characters' personalities like they actually matter. (I agree, though, Warcraft 2 Zuljin is best Zuljin)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pre-WoW Zul'jin was a gangly, skinny troll who earned his leadership and respect by being able to land an axe wherever he felt like, whenever he felt like it. He was a strong leader who led daring raids on the dick-rear end High Elves and his sole motivation for joining the Horde was to reclaim his ancestral lands and get revenge for the High Elves using a magical WMD on the Amani city.

Post-WoW Zul'jin is an angry, bitter veteran and former POW who mutilated himself to escape torture. He feels that the Horde has managed to betray the Amani twice and seeks revenge on everyone because he's tired of people loving over the Amani.

HOTS Zul'jin is a bowl of oatmeal.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
"Make way for da bad guy" characterizes Zul'jin better than literally every other word of dialog from WC2 or WoW.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
BfA Zuljin is an urn of ashes

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

lucifirius posted:

Want that skin :fap:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

lucifirius posted:

That's Vol'jin.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Oh gently caress me yeah. I get my trolls mixed up.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I've been leveling a smurf for the sole purpose of being able to play Cho'Gall with an amusingly inappropriate name. In doing so, I have been reminded how awful incredibly awful it is to labor away in the MMR Mines and I am here to share with you all some things I've learned/relearned:

The "Carry" role 100% exists in Pre-Platinum. Characters with consistent, high, and safe damage output will win games outright - especially if they have access to any form of scaling damage. Zagara, Raynor, and Zul'jin are practically gods here.

Raw siege/soak is an extremely viable tactic in Pre-Platinum. In Silver and below, team cohesion and map awareness are purely coincidental. By Gold, players have started to learn that there's safety in numbers, but this often comes at the expense of soak and objective prioritization. Nine times out of ten, you can get away with pushing lanes for the entire match and the enemy team won't know what's happened to them until it's too late.

"Just murder them" is also an extremely viable tactic in Pre-Platinum. They can't earn XP if they're dead, and it's not like they're going to be coordinated enough to handle you slaughtering them repeatedly.

Platinum is HOTS's version of MMR Hell because of what players learn in Pre-Platnium. Pre-Platinum is all about using the enemy team's inexperience against them: outmaneuvering your opponents in either micro (murder them) or macro (out-siege) is often more than enough to ensure victory. However, once you get to Platinum, you enter the population of players who have a pretty solid grasp of both and you have to start dealing with the concept of counterplay. Many players in Platinum are good enough to stay out of Gold, but not good enough to have an understanding of how or why they're failing to advance.

Adept A.I. is actually incredibly good at mimicking the patterns of a middle-Gold player. The objective prioritization isn't there, but many of the matches I played felt like legitimate vs AI games in terms of opponent action/reaction times.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kith posted:

I've been leveling a smurf for the sole purpose of being able to play Cho'Gall with an amusingly inappropriate name

Time is our most limited resource on this earth and you're using it the best of any of us :allears:

All your conclusions sound spot on.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Wait what's the name? I don't care about any of these things other than the drat name!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

lucifirius posted:

Wait what's the name? I don't care about any of these things other than the drat name!

:yeah:

And honestly it's really sad how Adept AI is so much better than a lot of players without overtly cheating like StarCraft does.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Looks like it is probably just a Nexus Lore (tm) thing, maybe an event but looking less like an Imperius tease:

https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/1041371618692362240

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I always think of Medivh as the Raven Lord. -_-

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

Looks like it is probably just a Nexus Lore (tm) thing

I wanna see the weirdos who are like super into Nexus Lore. Who gives a poo poo. Only Raven Lord I want them to put in the game is the WoW mount

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

SPOOPY GHOST EMOJIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I like the broom for whitemane and the hat suits her better than her base one. I think it's the least dressed version of alex so far though so maybe they'll sell a few.

Kind of generic overall but they're well done.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 17, 2018