Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

DekeThornton posted:

It wouldn't be M+KD+SD, it would be M+KD putting forward a budget that they know SD as well as C and L would accept over an S budget. That way C will get their cost cuts and lowered taxes while being able to claim to not work with SD and SD, who are now much more economically conservative than they were previously, will get a budget that will be in line with their focus on law and order and strict immigration. C most likely know that joining S won't give them any less restrictive immigration policies anyway, and they have nothing in common regarding taxation and labor policies.

Hasn't SD promised to torpedo any budget that they can't wring concisions out of? They're going to look bad if they obediently follow an Alliance budget without input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Hasn't SD promised to torpedo any budget that they can't wring concisions out of? They're going to look bad if they obediently follow an Alliance budget without input.

Yup, for long three years, ever since they torpedoed their first budget.

No they haven't changed their mind.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The future is at least not boring.

Signed up for military service on Friday. Heading to Malmö tomorrow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DekeThornton posted:

It wouldn't be M+KD+SD, it would be M+KD putting forward a budget that they know SD as well as C and L would accept over an S budget.

There's no such thing because only a miniscule amount of the things SD actually prioritize can be done trough the budget. They want minister positions and broad legislative changes. Jimmie Åkesson has promised for three long years to vote down anyone which doesn't give him that, and there's no reason for him to be in a rush.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

The future is at least not boring.

Signed up for military service on Friday. Heading to Malmö tomorrow.

You poor fool.
Wait until they put you on Högvakten and you get to experience boredom to it’s full extent.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
They're [Alliansen] going to roll into the Riksdag on the 25th without a plan, aren't they? Maybe just stare at Steffe in an intimidating manner.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

You poor fool.
Wait until they put you on Högvakten and you get to experience boredom to it’s full extent.

My brother did his military service in the mounted royal guard. He seemed to enjoy it (and came out of it a far more well-adjusted human being). Quite remarkable.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Beeswax posted:

My brother did his military service in the mounted royal guard. He seemed to enjoy it (and came out of it a far more well-adjusted human being). Quite remarkable.

Being surrounded by weird people consisting of 19-20 year old boys while being bored out of your skull, kinda makes you realize that you want to do better things with your life.
Especially as shooting an assault rifle kinda loses its charm after a while.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What's the point of Sweden even having an army. Dismantle it and redistribute the money

Wouldn't it be wiser to invest in a nuclear arsenal so we can give the middle finger to the Russians when they inevitably come for our country. And maybe like a stronger national guard type force that can help with natural disasters

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Zzulu posted:

What's the point of Sweden even having an army. Dismantle it and redistribute the money

Wouldn't it be wiser to invest in a nuclear arsenal so we can give the middle finger to the Russians when they inevitably come for our country. And maybe like a stronger national guard type force that can help with natural disasters

Real talk: dismantling the cold war behemoth and getting rid of equipment intended for several hundred thousand bicycle-mounted, tractor-towed soldiers with rifles and anti-tank mines was really not such a bad decision, regardless of what the old grumblers might say. However, dismantling all the gigantic civil defense resources was an enormous mistake and we should have maintained conscription if only to put everyone through a three-month civil defense boot camp.

Also, yes, cancelling the nuclear weapons program back in the late 1960's was Erlander's greatest mistake. :colbert:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So we can finally re-conquer Norway?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The armed forces as they stand are a loving joke. We can't repel an invasion. We can't support the civilian authorities in case of an emergency. We can't properly participate in any foreign interventions, UN missions or whatever. We have more artillery generals than we have actual artillery pieces. The politicians need to decide what we actually want to do with our defense forces, then rebuild the armed forces from the ground up with this goal in mind.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Dismantle the military entirely. Get rid of those lovely tanks and jets and soldiers jerking off in bootcamp. The gently caress are we gonna do with them? Skirmish with the Finnish army??

Spend all that surpluss money boosting Civil Defense forces and get some nukes man

just get some nukes

aint nobody loving with any country that got nukes, period

You think Russia would have had the balls to attack Ukraine if Ukraine could delete Moscow from the map?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Replace the scandinavian militaries with a phone number that says "we surrender" in russian when you call it.

:glistrup:

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Amp up military spending, enforce the draft and put all those who dont want to play with guns in the woods into sjukvården / äldrevården as civiltjänstgöring

Create a strategic deterrent that makes us the geopolitical equivalent of a hedgehog

gently caress nato and gently caress russia

tia

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ah yes, the feared "swedish military"

We will be the bane of Putin

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Zzulu posted:

Dismantle the military entirely. Get rid of those lovely tanks and jets and soldiers jerking off in bootcamp. The gently caress are we gonna do with them? Skirmish with the Finnish army??

Spend all that surpluss money boosting Civil Defense forces and get some nukes man

just get some nukes

You think Russia would have had the balls to attack Ukraine if Ukraine could delete Moscow from the map?

“Get some nukes”
Haha like that is cheaper

What is this weird defeatism.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Literally 50's era France. loving worked, too.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Retarded Goatee posted:

Amp up military spending, enforce the draft and put all those who dont want to play with guns in the woods into sjukvården / äldrevården as civiltjänstgöring

Create a strategic deterrent that makes us the geopolitical equivalent of a hedgehog

gently caress nato and gently caress russia

tia

We could increase our defence spending tenfold and we'd be the geopolitical equivalent of a hedgehog. This is not a simile. An actual hedgehog.
If Putin comes knocking we'd have all the chances of an actual, snuffling, cute hedgehog when it comes to repelling an attack.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Ah yes, the feared "swedish military"

We will be the bane of Putin

You are highly overestimating russian capabilities and also underestimating the swedish armed forces.
But sure, i’d like for åland to be fortified in a finnish-swedish effort and Gotland to receive extensive SAM and ship missile defenses, as well as underground bunker networks.
The defense budget needs expansion.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Beeswax posted:

We could increase our defence spending tenfold and we'd be the geopolitical equivalent of a hedgehog. This is not a simile. An actual hedgehog.
If Putin comes knocking we'd have all the chances of an actual, snuffling, cute hedgehog when it comes to repelling an attack.

The only thing we need to defend against is occupation from små gröna män
Fear against russia just means you’ve swallowed propaganda from a failed state that can barely do incursions in syria and ukraine at the same time.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well, nuclear proliferation concerns and challenges aside (they are mostly insurmountable), it's fair to say that scandinavia as a whole might be better served geopolitically with a mutual defence alliance more than what NATO is. If let's say Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland (and maybe Iceland?) had a mutual military organization I do think that would enable us to put up a realistic defence against our most realistic aggressor. Sure. It would probably be beneficial in general for the scandis to integrate and cooperate closer in other areas as well, both economic and political. As a bloc, the scandis would be a much more significant geopolitical force and we do have a lot of strengths we could mutually benefit from.

However, Russian military doctrine calls for the tactical use of nuclear weapons and in a total war scenario they'd just nuke our defences and roll on through. Probably render Scandinavia useless to them, but can't make an omelette etc. So that's what they'd do if they didn't think that conventional military action could do the job. Assuming Russia would ever do something like that for some reason.

So in real terms, yes we'd need nukes to be double plus "safe". I'm still not convinced that would be both possible and a good idea.

I do still think Scandinavia as a whole should maybe rethink the Kalmar Union thing a bit. We have the industry to develop and use our own military equipment with supplements from NATO which is great from a self-sufficiency and an economic perspective, it'd probably make for more specialized and effective equipment as well.

And then, when it inevitably blows up politically we can have our loving islands back from the greedy danes and Jemtland og Herjedalen back from the thieving swedes.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
The experience of Afghanistan and Iraq has taught us that the single most dreadful force to be faced by an attacker is angry bearded guys w/ small arms and DIY-bombs

Looking forward to the era of living in Jukkasjärvi and taking pot shots and the aggressor

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lima posted:

Replace the scandinavian militaries with a phone number that says "we surrender" in russian when you call it.

:glistrup:

Glistrup's idea should be updated with an offer for some discounted F-35s.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Retarded Goatee posted:

The experience of Afghanistan and Iraq has taught us that the single most dreadful force to be faced by an attacker is angry bearded guys w/ small arms and DIY-bombs

SD keeps harping on about mass immigration and radicalised youths, but this whole time the Government has just been playing 4D chess, insulating us against the russians.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The problem with the Swedish Armed Forces isn't really the budget. You could pour five times as much money into it and not get much more back. The problem is that no-one in the political area has any idea what we're supposed to do with the Armed Forces, and the generals in the Armed Forces are all busy trying to keep their tiny part of it alive. Forget the "one week defense". The Swedish Armed Forces wouldn't survive 48 hours against any realistic opponent (read: russia). Our only hope would be the national guard going to ground and waging an ISIS style guerrilla war.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Retarded Goatee posted:

Looking forward to the era of living in Jukkasjärvi and taking pot shots and the aggressor
It's only dreadful if you're unwilling to murder literally everybody.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Retarded Goatee posted:

Tag mikrobryg-IPAen og den hjemmebyggede cykel væk fra en skægget Vesterbro-hipster, og så skal du bare se løjer!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark should make some nukes together

A nordic nuclear defense initiative.

France, a country of 66 million, has 300 atomic warheads

Scandinavia got 25ish million, so we could get at least a couple dozen, ya know?:3:

If we're gonna spend any money on some sort of defensive military it only makes sense to spend it on a nucear arsenal like France did. If the world goes to poo poo and the superpowers start messing around with the world, the only countries with a say or hope of defense will be those with nukes

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
Serious post: the best deterrent is having your unsinkable carrier which the russians might eye smack dab between like 5 nato nations

Aint nobody ever going to let that slide

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
Russian occupation would allow for some kick-rear end iconography and/or naming conventions to be stolen from the conflicts in the mideast too.

Join me and VÄLFÄRDSMARTYRERNAS BRIGADER in our campaign to wage urban guerilla warfare against Ivan, vice-chairman post goes to whoever can cook up a kick-rear end kebab kiosk-level icon mashup between Kalles Kaviar-Kalle and the Hezbollah logo

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The problem with the Swedish Armed Forces isn't really the budget. You could pour five times as much money into it and not get much more back. The problem is that no-one in the political area has any idea what we're supposed to do with the Armed Forces, and the generals in the Armed Forces are all busy trying to keep their tiny part of it alive. Forget the "one week defense". The Swedish Armed Forces wouldn't survive 48 hours against any realistic opponent (read: russia). Our only hope would be the national guard going to ground and waging an ISIS style guerrilla war.

Griped was already designed around being maintained in a decentralized manner on makeshift airfields.
With a bit more work the entire armed forces could help prolong a war against an occupying power.
Nevermind the possible nato help which would come from the norwegian border and this conflict isn’t as open and shut as russia today readers itt would have you believe.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zzulu posted:

If the world goes to poo poo and the superpowers start messing around with the world, the only countries with a say or hope of defense will be those with nukes
That's absolutely not how it works. If the canned sunshine starts flying, anyone nuclear-capable is getting a few counter-force hits just to be sure.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, nuclear proliferation concerns and challenges aside (they are mostly insurmountable), it's fair to say that scandinavia as a whole might be better served geopolitically with a mutual defence alliance more than what NATO is. If let's say Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland (and maybe Iceland?) had a mutual military organization I do think that would enable us to put up a realistic defence against our most realistic aggressor. Sure. It would probably be beneficial in general for the scandis to integrate and cooperate closer in other areas as well, both economic and political. As a bloc, the scandis would be a much more significant geopolitical force and we do have a lot of strengths we could mutually benefit from.

I believe there was some effort towards such a thing right after the Second World War, a missed opportunity if you ask me. Norwegian oil, Swedish industry, Danish... sausages? Whatever. It would have been an economic and political power of some significance, probably have a geopolitical role in the Cold War years sort of like a bigger and stronger Sweden.

There was briefly a joint Norwegian-Swedish nuclear program back in those days, too. Sure it would have born fruit. (Norway was actually the sixth country in the world to get a working fission reactor up and running.)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groke posted:

Norwegian oil, Swedish industry, Danish... sausages?

Frømænd.

Fremen.

Are we fighting Finns or Russians, here?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

evil_bunnY posted:

That's absolutely not how it works. If the canned sunshine starts flying, anyone nuclear-capable is getting a few counter-force hits just to be sure.

In a proper large-scale nuclear war everyone loses anyway and the only way to "win" is to make sure you die right away instead of having to linger in the aftermath.

I believe the real argument is that having a nuclear capability will protect you from having your lunch money stolen & your head shoved into the toilet bowl by non-nuclear means. Like, Borduria may be ruthless and have a stronger army than Syldavia but if the Syldavians have a few nukes and the Bordurian regime believe they're willing to use them in extremis, then invasion is averted and peace will continue.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Groke posted:

I believe there was some effort towards such a thing right after the Second World War, a missed opportunity if you ask me. Norwegian oil, Swedish industry, Danish... sausages? Whatever. It would have been an economic and political power of some significance, probably have a geopolitical role in the Cold War years sort of like a bigger and stronger Sweden.

There was briefly a joint Norwegian-Swedish nuclear program back in those days, too. Sure it would have born fruit. (Norway was actually the sixth country in the world to get a working fission reactor up and running.)

The benefits are almost too many to mention. Norway could spend its useless fighter plane money on buying into and pumping up swedish fighter plane development and procure sensible fighters adapted to our specific region, instead of wasting it on the crap F-35. We could produce quality ammunition and missiles in Norway, Finland has the heavy industry in cooperation with norwegian R and D to make terrifying fast defense ships for Østersjøen and Norway could really use more ships to patrol our waters, around our arctic interests and islands, Denmark could use some help around Greenland and Iceland... well...

Even outside the realm of just military crap we have a lot more to offer each other that we really don't because we're not at that level of solidarity today. Imagine a joint danish-swedish-norwegian R&D on nuclear utilization of thorium fuel to produce and combine low-cost nuclear power generation with Norway's excess Hydro power to permanently decarbonize our power grid and provide cheap excess power to domestic industries. This isn't unfeasible in the least. There's more political interest in doing so than economical interest, sure, but I am extremely loving tired of politicians making decisions that mostly lead to more money for the 1% and don't take long term views at all (I am sick and loving tired of the oil fund bullshit protectionist thought because the oil fund will 100% be sucked away into rich rear end in a top hat bank accounts as loving soon as the right-wingers can manage it. Better spend it on political cooperation, investing in our neighbours and infrastructure/research before that can happen. IMO.).

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

I believe the real argument is that having a nuclear capability will protect you from having your lunch money stolen & your head shoved into the toilet bowl by non-nuclear means. Like, Borduria may be ruthless and have a stronger army than Syldavia but if the Syldavians have a few nukes and the Bordurian regime believe they're willing to use them in extremis, then invasion is averted and peace will continue.

loving Bordurian ne'e-do-wells man

edit: this made me hit up wikipedia and Syldavia actually had a nuclear program in the fifties. Who knew!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E:nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Reminder that the F-35 simulator is the most expensive and realistic flight simulator constructed to date. It destroys itself spontaneously with fire.