Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

He was going to, anyway. Unless he dies from the stabbing, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

He was going to, anyway. Unless he dies from the stabbing, that is.

No chance he dies from this kind of liver stabbing, not if he was readily helped.

This seems to be so ineffectual as a murder attempt I'd suspect a set-up, if I didn't know there are tons of unstable loons out there emboldened by the current crisis and the breakdown of institution to make it likely we'll see more crazyness soon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It seems to have been very superficial. I don't think it changes much, if it was politically-motivated that poo poo was dumb as gently caress but it's just another soundbite for the rear end in a top hat.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

As ineffective it was, it must have been real cathartic.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It seems to have been a literal crazy person who did it, regardless of their political leanings.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nerdz posted:

It seems to have been a literal crazy person who did it, regardless of their political leanings.

Dude is definitely mentally ill, he claims the freemasons are responsible for at least half the murders in Brazil. You don't see those types of dudes embracing Communism very often.

Oh, recent info says the stabbing was actually severe enough to require surgery and be life-threatening - nothing concrete has come out other than Bolsonaro being in stable condition.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Dude is a soup of clashing beliefs and paranoias. Goes on about the wealthy conservative elite, but adored army generals. Blabbed some vaguely communistic stuff, but despised gays and pretty much every lefty candidate. Also was deeply religious and an evangelical misisonary, a weird career for a commie. Except for fellow loon Cabo Daciolo, the one figure he seemed to like and defend, and a similar toxic mix of fervor and contradictions.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe he was a sleeper from the Brazilian equivalent of MKULTRA.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Quick, stab the rest of the candidates to even out the field.

penceagent
Sep 6, 2018

by R. Guyovich
So I'd like to hear from the people who hate Macri exactly what he should be doing to solve this crisis.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

penceagent posted:

So I'd like to hear from the people who hate Macri exactly what he should be doing to solve this crisis.

That is a hell of a username/post combo

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Whatever it is he should’ve done it two years ago. Country’s hosed, now.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

^^^ Pretty much this. He had plenty of chances to course correct and every single time he could've changed his policies he instead committed even harder to being a neoliberal idiot/rear end in a top hat/both. We're way past the tipping point now. It took three years, but at last the free dollar exchange and trickle down economics had the result that was obvious to anyone who has ever read a history book: We're hosed.

Felicitaciones! Al fin Cambiamos! :toot:

penceagent
Sep 6, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Meanwhile...in Peru...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Vf2NMIJ-o

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The gently caress? Why's that?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

The gently caress? Why's that?

Land dispute between a football club and a church

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would it take to oust the elite-class landholders from power and policy-making in the Central American countries not called Costa Rica? The majority of Central America's poverty appears to have sprung from their irresponsible policies.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grouchio posted:

What would it take to oust the elite-class landholders from power and policy-making in the Central American countries not called Costa Rica? The majority of Central America's poverty appears to have sprung from their irresponsible policies.

Ever hear of a little country called Cuba Grouchio?

And why are you suggesting the elite landholders don't run Costa Rica? Admittedly it's political economy was unusually dominated by small-holding coffee farmers, but never so much as to completely negate the power of big landowners.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Plutonis posted:

Land dispute between a football club and a church

It just loving had to be football and church - the two worst absolute groups in South America. I hope they eat each other somehow.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Figured it was time to give an update on how things have gone with Obrador so far:

-He broke his campaign promise of taking the army off the streets, stating it would continue because "the army isn't necessary because there are no foreign threats to Mexican sovereignty and in the case, one would arise, he's confident every Mexican would be defending their country Thus, the army will go under a transformation to become an internal force of order"

-Despite Morena having a majority in the Congress, it still accepted granting permission to a governor/senator to take a break from his activities as Governor in exchange of five representatives from another political party so they could get absolute control of the Congress.

-Just today it was made public by Morena representatives that they wouldn't be reducing their paychecks because "they couldn't reach an agreement" but they would discuss the reduction of salary when discussing next year's budget. Maybe.

And the guy hasn't even started!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
"Con los militares estábamos mejor"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm okay with re-structuring the Mexican Armed Forces into a federal law enforcement and disaster response organization, as that's essentially all they do and should receive appropriate training on the matter and embrace it as part of their mission statement.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm okay with re-structuring the Mexican Armed Forces into a federal law enforcement and disaster response organization, as that's essentially all they do and should receive appropriate training on the matter and embrace it as part of their mission statement.

That or ramping down their deployment over a period of 1-2 years (while the new organization is created and starts assuming roles) would probably be the best idea imho.

About that Chiapas douchebag governor, I have no idea what kind of shady backroom dealings led to that, but it does annoy me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bolsonaro is going to loving win, isn't he? :sigh:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Bolsonaro is going to loving win, isn't he? :sigh:
Look on the bright side, it's probably slightly better than Haddad winning and being subsequently overthown by the military.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

There's no bright side.

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2018/09/grupos-de-direita-no-brasil-contestam-embaixada-alema-sobre-nazismo.shtml

German embassy posts video about Nazi Germany and Brazilian right-wing fuckfaces bitch about it and deny the Holocaust.

This country and its people deserves the worst.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
so it's very likely that we will have to choose between Bolsonaro and Haddad. I think it's safe to say that either winning will gently caress Brazil for good, even if indirectly in the case Haddad wins. Yep, time to get the hell out I guess.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Would if I could nigga

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

nerdz posted:

Yep, time to get the hell out I guess.

I did this a couple years ago and it's been the best decision of my life. Europe is a really nice place to live in. Highly recommend A+ especially if you touch computers or are some kind of professional who can easily get a good job here.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If everyone fucks off I can teach ESL abroad to expats...so hopefully Haddad wins then, because the people hosed by Bolzi aren't gonna be able to gently caress off. Well, most of them, the ones that can probably speak better English than the average Floridian-Brazilian.

Haddad is signaling for a "truce" with PSDB and MDB however, FHC even said he would actively support him over Bonoro if it came down to that. We shouldn't forget that Haddad is basically gonna follow Lula's political strategies and the center-right was completely fine with that.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think the "truce" will become evident or not when the courts decide whether Lula can be interviewed or recorded from jail, which they said they will decide after the first round.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

I did this a couple years ago and it's been the best decision of my life. Europe is a really nice place to live in. Highly recommend A+ especially if you touch computers or are some kind of professional who can easily get a good job here.

I actually work for a US company already but Trump's immigration policies are really loving me over when getting a work visa. Also I held a small (and dumb) hope that things would eventually settle down in Brazil, since I have several strong bonds keeping me here.

If push comes to shove I'll just play the digital nomad game for a while, and possibly apply for refugee status depending on how things go.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Soon as I finish med school? I'm out of Brazil. Gonna miss my friends something fierce, but being surrounded by that level of bile and ignorance is no way to live.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

I think the "truce" will become evident or not when the courts decide whether Lula can be interviewed or recorded from jail, which they said they will decide after the first round.

I feel like if this truce becomes too evident before the elections end it will be an extremely bad look for them, will increase Haddad's rejection and will possibly hand Bolsonaro the win.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
So, Ciro Gomes X Haddad, pros and cons

Ciro

Pros:
-Nationalist
-Brizola's ghost approves
-Will fund universities and industry

Cons:
-Evil conservative woman vice
-Actually right-wing
-Don't care about the enviroment

Haddad

Pros:
-Is cool and good
-Will reform transport
-Cool communist woman vice

Cons:
-No real working class origin
-Lula is in jail
-Will get immediately couped

Discuss

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
No matter who wins, vote as far left as you can muster for the Legislative positions, because that's the only way you can keep those two in check - Haddad is already showing signs of Dadinho Paz e Amor and Ciro has the Chainsaw Maniac as a VP plus he's actually not a left-wing candidate.

My issue with Haddad is immediate rather than a what if scenario: he will probably lose to Bolzie. I wanna believe he will do some anime BS and summon the spirit of the great Lula, but we're two weeks off and he's still looking iffy against him. The concept of PT as this dark and evil entity is too strong nowadays.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

On the other hand the PSDB is attacking Bolsonaro on the virtue that he's losing to Haddad and "will bring 4 more years of PT" lol.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I see a lot of people will disengage or do pirouettes to justify voting on Bozo if it comes down between him and the terrible communists of PT. I hope I am wrong, though.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

I for one look forward to 4 years of defending PT :sludgepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, that's one good news on this lovely day.