Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

As I recall one of the big things from JJ season 2 was that Jessica isn't a particularly good PI and doesn't prioritize it and this causes her problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

She does alright at the start of Defenders I thought

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Oasx posted:

I don't really like Misty, she is not as annoying as in Luke Cage, but I still wouldn't mind if the character just got written out.

I don't know anything about the actual comic book character but I wish her robo arm had the strength comparable to the Thunder character in Black Lighting. Like, I don't even remember what her limits are with the arm but it obviously doesn't account to being the level of a superpower if it's barely used as such. It's too bad.

e: looking at the Wikipedia entry for Misty Knight, it looks like her arm does have other powers they haven't really gotten into yet

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

e: looking at the Wikipedia entry for Misty Knight, it looks like her arm does have other powers they haven't really gotten into yet

Probably has something to do with her wanting to bling out her arm after the last fight. I guess some of those extra powers will be seen next time we see her in the Defenders or Luke Cage 3.

Compared to the hunk of poo poo that season 1 was I was legitimately pleasantly surprised by season 2. Joy and Ward continue to completely kill it, there's no giant Hand conspiracy to poo poo things up, they actually took the threads advice and pared it down to 10 episodes, and the whole thing was generally better written as a whole. I still wouldn't put it up there with DD s1 or JJ s1 or Punisher, but I feel it's better than either LC or DD s2.

I don't think I quite follow the cliffhanger though. They showed Colleen with the glowing Chi sword and then in the next scene showed Danny dual fisting guns. Until I read the spoilers upthread I thought that the implication was that Danny got his powers back over time. The second implication in my minds eye being that Davos was going to get his angry red fist powers back over time as well and we'd see a 3 way showdown between him, Gun-fu Danny, and Colleen in season 3.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm halfway through, and it's an enormous step up from the first season, and so far it's better than the weak parts of the best of the shows without reaching the peaks that Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage have hit at times. Pretty solid.

Edit: And by the beginning third of episode six I want to strangle Danny again.

Edit 2: Ward is priceless. In between his flower order and "No. I don't. No one wants their teeth pulled out" I sometimes wonder if there was a great writer in the office who just didn't have enough pull.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 15, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nephthys posted:

As I recall one of the big things from JJ season 2 was that Jessica isn't a particularly good PI and doesn't prioritize it and this causes her problems.

Jessica’s good at lateral thinking on a shoestring budget, which makes it surprising when this tiny drunk actually does her job well without you expecting it and then oh yeah hoists your car over her head.

She’s not bringing down Roxxon or anything, she snaps photos of cheating spouses for a living. Although Walker did kind of clown in her this series but she also has a built in impenetrable disguise.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I was really digging Davos' plan until I realized it just makes him The Shredder with less interesting heroes to fight.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
The kid kept me awake, so I finished it. If Colleen doesn't get two fists too I'm gonna be pissed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Inkspot posted:

I was really digging Davos' plan until I realized it just makes him The Shredder with less interesting heroes to fight.

Shredder was always just a crime lord, you're misremembering his motivations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Shredder was always just a crime lord, you're misremembering his motivations.

True. He just wanted to be the Mafia, but with ninjas.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I thought he wanted to build Krang a body and open a portal to the Terror dimension so Krang's armies could come through.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's called Dimension X, and he deliberately put off building Krang a body so he could control Krang better.

God it's like you didn't even go to college.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I’ve never really been invested in Iron Fist in the comics but I’m surprised how much I enjoyed this season. Typhoid Mary was good, Ward was really good, and goddamn do I want a Daughters of the Dragon series, Colleen and Misty are so enjoyable to watch together.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Finished it. Danny continues to be the weakest part of his own show. I guess he's better than in S1 but I just can't understand why anyone keeps this irritating poo poo around. I wanna see Coleen and Misti team up and fight nega iron fist Davos as the bad guy, Danny can be in charge of getting coffee. Twice he pulled the "Okay I won't run off half cocked I guess. Now please be distracted for a moment." *runs off and does something half cocked* thing. I'm still kind of mad that he's hasn't really acknowledge just how badly he hosed over Kun Lun and Davos. He took the Iron Fist out of, I don't know, competitiveness I guess, from Davos who spent his entire life training for it, and then right after he got the fist he got bored and left, leaving the entire city to be destroyed. That's an astoundingly huge dick move and closest thing to remorse he ever expresses is like the occasional 'lol my bad'.

The wannabe gang didn't have much of a payoff. Their first few scenes all end with "We see everything!" But I guess that doesn't matter in the least, they're just here for a training montage and then the whole gang gets schooled at once by 1 person without powers.

Coleen's sword fist glow is kinda cool and feels at least a little consistent. Danny, who has no powers currently, dual wielding pistols and using them both to shoot 2 magic bullets at once that can hit another bullet and make it disappear without even shrapnel is the dumbest, most inconsistent eye rolling thing in the entire season.

Even with the gripes it was still pretty good though, carried entirely by an amazing supporting cast. I actually put off starting Bojack to finish it, which is a pretty big deal considering I didn't even bother finished the last two installments of the NetflixMCU. Speaking of which, where was Claire? Did she bug out or quit or something in a recent series?

Floors everywhere are the natural enemies of the Iron Fist and will be destroyed at every opportunity.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

counterfeitsaint posted:

Even with the gripes it was still pretty good though, carried entirely by an amazing supporting cast. I actually put off starting Bojack to finish it, which is a pretty big deal considering I didn't even bother finished the last two installments of the NetflixMCU. Speaking of which, where was Claire? Did she bug out or quit or something in a recent series?

Watch Luke Cage S2.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Man, season 2 of Iron Fist was better than season 1 but its real sin was making season 3 look like it has so much drat potential.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know this is a comic book super hero show full of zombie ninjas... but robot arms don't work that way.

If Misty tries to lift a car with her robot arm, or punch through a brick wall or some poo poo, she'd just blow her entire prosthesis out of her still human shoulder socket. The only for that limb to provide super strength would be if they also mechanically augmented and integrated it into her shoulders, back, spine, and thighs.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I know this is a comic book super hero show full of zombie ninjas... but robot arms don't work that way.

If Misty tries to lift a car with her robot arm, or punch through a brick wall or some poo poo, she'd just blow her entire prosthesis out of her still human shoulder socket. The only for that limb to provide super strength would be if they also mechanically augmented and integrated it into her shoulders, back, spine, and thighs.
You're right the science on The Dragon Night Light Puncher isn't good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bust Rodd posted:

:goonsay:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Bust Rodd posted:

I know this is a comic book super hero show full of zombie ninjas... but

It's easy to go down this path. be careful

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Bust Rodd posted:

Having read a bunch of cyberpunk over the years, you aren't wrong and this bugged me too. But movies and TV shows have generally ignored this (and injury recovery times) for so many years that it's best not to dwell on if you want to enjoy any of this. Just enjoy the fiction.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's a goddamn superhero show, none of the physics are gonna make sense. Everyone Luke ever punched should be dead.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bust Rodd posted:

Pretend I repeated all this out loud with a really nasally, lispy voice, like I was mocking you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s my curse to bear. I am basically Luke Cage, except instead of comically dismissing dragons as absurd, I cannot acknowledge robot limbs as anything other than STRAIGHT UP MALARKY

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Let me tell you about a little show called the Six Million Dollar Man.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually Misty Knight possesses low-level tactile telekinesis, and furthermore, ..

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The TV IV › Netflix Marvel: STRAIGHT UP MALARKEY

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Omnomnomnivore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WPn_D-cl4k

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Omnomnomnivore posted:

:spergin: In which the novel that it was based on , Cyborg by Martin Caidin, described how they had reinforced Austin's skeleton, tendons, and ligaments.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

:spergin: In which the novel that it was based on , Cyborg by Martin Caidin, described how they had reinforced Austin's skeleton, tendons, and ligaments.

Which would CLEARLY push them over the budget of six million.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

The arm is a character and Misty is attached prosthetic. The arm has super strength because its made of Mythril.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Did she even do anything with her arm that would put stress on her body? All I remember is her punching the wall a bunch, and even this she mostly used robot fingers to wriggle her way through. I guess punching a wall can be hard on your shoulder, but it's not as egregious as lifting a car or something.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Misty needs a Rand Corporation army base

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Netflix has shut down the Facebook page for Defenders and merged (?) it with NX, their general FB page for sci-fi/fantasy content, so it seems they're serious about not doing another season anytime soon, if ever.

As for IF S2: watched the first episode and it did nothing for me, so I haven't bothered with the rest, aside from a few highlights and the ending of the season finale.

The ending at least hints that S3 might finally properly explore the IF mythos and attempt to be the show I wanted it to be from the beginning, but I'm sure they'll find a way to keep it boringly grounded and street-level instead. No place for any physical powers beyond variations on "can punch things really hard" in the gritty, realistic Netflix Marvel Universe, after all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We get it, this is only the 8,000th time you've complained about it

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I made it two episodes into IF S1. I'm five episodes into IF S2. Danny is a less grating person to look at (lost the goofy moptop, has the mask now, put on what looks to be some muscle mass) and I have enjoyed the fight scenes. I just don't care about any of the characters (I understand this might be different if I could have forced myself to finish S1) and I am not at all invested. I dunno if I'm going to finish. I think Danny is best cameo'ing with Luke Cage when needed than being a stand alone character. I thought he was good in LC S2.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I cannot acknowledge robot limbs as anything other than STRAIGHT UP MALARKY

Robot limbs do exist.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Robot limbs do exist.

Yeah but my entire point is that they don’t give you any super powers.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but my entire point is that they don’t give you any super powers.

And neither has any spider bite in the history of ever, nor has any liquid submersion resulted in a bulletproof black man. Even if we accepted the existence of the latter, Luke Cage still would have died from a traumatic aortic rupture from rapid deceleration, or asphyxiation from being in the middle of an oxygen-consuming explosion, or any of a number of etiologies not covered by "super-tough skin" many explosions ago. So maybe it is not internally consistent to perseverate on the unrealistic depiction of the mechanics of a prosthetic limb when it's among the least egregious of the physiologic falsehoods depicted in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think they've been pretty upfront about not doing another Defenders or like if anyone asks about it the actors/showrunners etc are always very evasive. Suspect if they do another crossover show they'd just call it something else since it's not like that was a particularly important thing.