Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I wonder if he would have been half as funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I wonder if he would have been half as funny.

Half of zero is....?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Multiclass into everything.

Then write a backstory to justify it.

Reminds me of this character:

http://acquisitionsincorporated.wikia.com/wiki/Driebus_Beestinger

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I don't think there's another thread so I'll ask here.

Has anyone checked out that new Witcher TTRPG?

Seems interesting?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

kidkissinger posted:

I don't think there's another thread so I'll ask here.

Has anyone checked out that new Witcher TTRPG?

Seems interesting?

I have. It seems like a decent reflection of the video games. If you go on R Talsorian's website there is a lot of errata from previous rules tweaks during play testing that didn't make it everywhere they needed to be in the book. I feel like there's the makings of an interesting game there, but it needs a lot of polishing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I do really love that central Asia/ eastern-European spin on fantasy/mythology. Just a little different than the standard Anglo-Saxon/Nordic flavor we've all grown up with.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

The Crotch posted:

This is an application I once got for a mid-paragon 4e game I'm running.

The absolute best thing here (and I use the word "best" loosely), is that in 4e multiclassing doesn't even work like that. You don't ever take levels of other classes. Only 3e and 5e used multiclassing like that.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I rather liked how multiclassing worked in 4e. You took a feat that basically splashed a bit of the aspects of another class onto yours. Unless you were a bard, you could only do this with one other class. You can go really far into it though, taking more of that feat tree making a real hybrid, and there was even a paragon path dedicated to doing this.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
There was one bard paragon path that gave bonuses based on every arcane multiclass you took. Always wanted to try it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Similar question to my last, and again, sorry if this doesn't belong here but I don't see a better place:

Anyone know anything about the new edition (4th) of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay that's coming out?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

I know a lot of folks itt hate 5e but I'm playing some Pathfinder tonight for the first time this year and it makes me love 5e every time the GM, who's played Pathfinder for years, has to consult the rulebook.

5E is a remedial step for getting 3E and Pathfinder players into other/better games

Stuff like advantage/disadvantage and proficiency bonus are like, windows into a world of gaming that isn't beholden to the same assumptions as AD&D

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

SettingSun posted:

I rather liked how multiclassing worked in 4e. You took a feat that basically splashed a bit of the aspects of another class onto yours. Unless you were a bard, you could only do this with one other class. You can go really far into it though, taking more of that feat tree making a real hybrid, and there was even a paragon path dedicated to doing this.

Plus there was also a full multiclass option called Hybrid that was weird but not terrible. Came out in the PHB3 but was fully backwards compatible with every other class. If nothing else it was certainly useful to clam up your weird friend that only plays Fighter Mages.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

5E is a remedial step for getting 3E and Pathfinder players into other/better games

Stuff like advantage/disadvantage and proficiency bonus are like, windows into a world of gaming that isn't beholden to the same assumptions as AD&D

I really want to get into a game that is:

- Relatively Light (5e complexity or less)
- Classless
- Not primarily designed for one shots
- Has its own setting, not generic
- Fantasy

D6 Star Wars fits all these except the last one, but I've had trouble finding a non-generic fantasy Open D6/Mini Six setting. I asked in the Recommend a System thread but apparently stumped them too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hybrids actually worked pretty well in practice too, as long as you had a sufficient understanding of basic 4E charopt stuff and the common sense to hybrid classes with some kind of mechanical or ability score synergy.

Probably just because the mechanics and classes in 4E were a lot more balanced than other editions in general, so it was harder to get a really out-of-whack result, but it actually sort of reminded me of AD&D multiclassing (which is weirdly elegant and more balanced than it should've been given how little thought went into it). The only real problem I ever had with AD&D multiclassing is that single-class Thieves were loving terrible and anybody who didn't play a Fighter/Thief (if they actually wanted to backstab people and fight like a modern rogue) or Mage/Thief (if they just wanted to be good at stealing/misdirection/accomplishing things in general) was a huge sucker.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Imagined posted:

D6 Star Wars fits all these except the last one, but I've had trouble finding a non-generic fantasy Open D6/Mini Six setting. I asked in the Recommend a System thread but apparently stumped them too.
West end did publish "d6 Fantasy" when they lost their starwars license and turned it into D6 Space but yeah D6 Fantasy is super generic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
*trap sprung, etc* Shadow of the Demon Lord seems like it hits those? It's not classless but your class is split into three paths, meaning each of those paths is less character-defining than a 5e class because they have to share focus. Depending on why you want something classless, that may be better or worse than 5e.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I keep hearing people gush about Shadow of the Demon Lord but whenever I look into it I find out there's like, poo poo where a demon leech bites your dick off or something to that effect. I'm sure it's not all like that but the theme throws red flags for me a lot.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Glagha posted:

I keep hearing people gush about Shadow of the Demon Lord but whenever I look into it I find out there's like, poo poo where a demon leech bites your dick off or something to that effect. I'm sure it's not all like that but the theme throws red flags for me a lot.

you can safely ignore most of the fluff and just use the mechanics, which are better than anything else d20 out there and mostly free of concrete ties to the fluff

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Serf posted:

you can safely ignore most of the fluff and just use the mechanics, which are better than anything else d20 out there and mostly free of concrete ties to the fluff
There are also tons of alternate rules so your genitals don't have to drop on the floor/grow on your face when you reach high corruption level.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

- Classless
- Fantasy

Runequest Classic

13th Age is almost that, but has classes
Spears of the Dawn is almost that, but has classes
Tunnels and Trolls is almost that, but has classes

Gamma World (7th Edition) is almost that, but isn't traditional fantasy

Savage Worlds is almost that, but requires a separate setting book (I don't know which one, either)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
sotdl has a bunch of so grim dark fluff

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Imagined posted:

- Classless
- Fantasy

That's essentially what the homebrew I play is, except is overly complex. I don't know how you can really do classless and not complex at the same time , wouldnt that end up really freeform?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I used a deliberately hyperbolic example that I kinda half remembered from a secondhand account. I was not expecting my description of "a leech bites off your dick" to get "Yeah but the game itself is still really good!" in response.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Glagha posted:

I used a deliberately hyperbolic example that I kinda half remembered from a secondhand account. I was not expecting my description of "a leech bites off your dick" to get "Yeah but the game itself is still really good!" in response.
It's a fair complain, i like shadow of the demon lord but yeah it goes for gross childish grim dark on a few point (mostly the fluff and some game mechanisms you can easily ignore/change). It's not hard to ignore and the system is great.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The session example right out of the SotDL handbook has the PCs fighting a gore and poo poo monster so you don't even have to exaggerate that much.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I feel like this is the tabletop equivalent of "This anime is really good, no really. Just ignore the parts where the MC is trying to gently caress his sister"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Glagha posted:

your example is pretty mild, tbh. but there is supposedly a "normal" version coming out in like 2020 or so

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
*shrug* It fit the criteria the guy asked for. If you can't or won't deal with having that stuff in the core book, don't play it. :shrug:

The sister loving anime probably would start looking pretty good if most anime fans just watched simpsons season 25 on repeat.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Glagha posted:

I feel like this is the tabletop equivalent of "This anime is really good, no really. Just ignore the parts where the MC is trying to gently caress his sister"
Well, but that anime got really great fights and drama between all the sister loving. It's not family night at the Lannister house 24/7.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"You can ignore the fluff," kinda loses some of its power as an argument when a specific setting is what someone wants.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Glagha posted:

It's just that the mechanics of the game are solid and a game using those don't have to also include the dick-leeches of the setting. The two are easy enough to keep separate. So yes, the MC is trying to gently caress his sister... but you're a pro editor who can just delete that whole scene. And we're telling you, absolutely do delete that scene.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Glagha posted:

I dunno what to tell you - there's body horror aplenty and some juvenile humor because Rob Schwalb is, like, perpetually 13 years old. But it doesn't go for the other grimdark greatest hits - it's not rapey, it's not racist, it's not homophobic or misogynistic...

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

"You can ignore the fluff," kinda loses some of its power as an argument when a specific setting is what someone wants.

i tend to use rul in my games without too much modification. i either play the darker aspects for humor (which seems to be intended) or i just leave out the things i can't make funny. its a good setting with some interesting places

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno what to tell you - there's body horror aplenty and some juvenile humor because Rob Schwalb is, like, perpetually 13 years old. But it doesn't go for the other grimdark greatest hits - it's not rapey, it's not racist, it's not homophobic or misogynistic...

So it's Oglaf: The RPG?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I'll second this one.

Corruption and forbidden magic traditions are compartmentalized enough they're easy to excise if a spell that makes your dick shrivel and fall off isn't your thing (it certainly isn't mine), but even if you don't that's basically as far as it gets: the setting is an already-not-very-nice world that's coming apart as the eponymous "shadow" of the Demon Lord falls over it, but (juvenile) gross humor and body horror aside, it's not an all-you-can-suffer hopelessness/rape/incest/misogyny/racism buffet.

If it's still too much for you that's fine, give it a pass. People have different tolerances for different things.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So it's Oglaf: The RPG?

Oglaf is more sex-charged by several orders of magnitude.

SotDL is rather more like Evil Dead sans Rape Tree.

Up to the player's discretion if they want to be Ash.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 17, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah, I'll second this one.

Corruption and forbidden magic traditions are compartmentalized enough they're easy to excise if a spell that makes your dick shrivel and fall off isn't your thing (it certainly isn't mine), but even if you don't that's basically as far as it gets: the setting is an already-not-very-nice world that's coming apart as the eponymous "shadow" of the Demon Lord falls over it, but (juvenile) gross humor and body horror aside, it's not an all-you-can-suffer hopelessness/rape/incest/misogyny/racism buffet.

If it's still too much for you that's fine, give it a pass. People have different tolerances for different things.
For me it's not a tolerance thing, it's a "I will not recommend this to anyone whose opinion I care about" thing. It's embarrassingly juvenile, and not in the good way.

Serf posted:

your example is pretty mild, tbh. but there is supposedly a "normal" version coming out in like 2020 or so
I heard this but I cannot find any 1st hand info on it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

I heard this but I cannot find any 1st hand info on it.

i heard it through the artist who works on a lot of his stuff and playtests stuff with him. its low on the priority list tho, since he's got the magic supplement, martial supplement, post-apocalypse game for that minis company, sotdl boardgame and not-doom boardgame plus all his 5e work all ahead of it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Isn't the point of market research to figure out how to appeal to people's intuitions and biases? Why would you need to outsmart them?

The point of market research is to research the market: however if your potential market includes a bunch of goony assholes that you no longer want to indulge, well, maybe then you get tweets like this:

Better go give Archfiend Mearls a piece of your mind before he ruins everything

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I know it's not a sweetheart of SA, but Legend of the Five Rings RPG is a pretty good non-D&D fantasy system and setting. I can't think of any cringey parts off the top of my head in the modern game (though the original creator and his self-inserts 20 years ago weren't great).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serf posted:

i heard it through the artist who works on a lot of his stuff and playtests stuff with him. its low on the priority list tho, since he's got the magic supplement, martial supplement, post-apocalypse game for that minis company, sotdl boardgame and not-doom boardgame plus all his 5e work all ahead of it.
Ughhhh. It's mechanically the best game I can use to pull my current group permanently away from 5E but until I can hand them a book with less... everything it'll be a complete no go.