Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

i think some of the less ideological bullshit spreads by people trying to be "balanced" without understanding what that actually means. ive seen people read actual scientific studies and then in order to be "balanced" would read conspiracy theory posts and put both on the same level of trustworthiness

thats a brain disease thats mostly common in the politcal class. regular human beings dont operate like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mushika posted:

How much vinegar do you have to consume to burn your esophagus? I eat pickled vegetables and have sips of dill pickle brine daily because I'm a fiend for anything pickled. I have never had anything close to even a mildly irritated esophagus because. Was she drinking like a quart of apple cider vinegar three times a week?

She said a bottle a day, to be honest I dont even know if I believe her I think she was looking for attention and just ran with something I said.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Graphic posted:

A proud tradition begun with Department of Justice and Department of Defense

We have always been at war with etc.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

babypolis posted:

thats a brain disease thats mostly common in the politcal class. regular human beings dont operate like that

It's also a sin often commited by journalists trying to be balanced.

"Well, we've spoken to some climatologists and they're in agreement: climate change is man made and happening. Now for another perspective, let's hear from Dr. Crackpot McGoodbrain who rejects their findings. "

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/zacharylevine/status/1041019939329519617

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Why do you people put up with that crap? Why can’t sick people be given proper paid leave?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ&t=64s

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"the right doesn't have an advantage, lol, they just have massively better messaging than the libs"

babypolis posted:

theres a big money disadvantage for sure, but i feel theres also structural disadvantages based on what each side wants to communicate. right wing policies are ghoulishly evil so they disguise the meaning of everything with euphemisms and lies. left wing policies aim to actually help people and so the language is more descriptive and less deceptive

Elderbean posted:

Decades ago maybe but 20+ years of insane propaganda has softened their brains. You can blame democrats for being centrist and lovely but at least the average Democrat doesn't live in an alternate reality.
democrats are just another wing of the business party and push rightwing policies as accomplices with the republican party hth

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
left wing messaging is actually pretty simple. for example: medicare for all = all mental, physical, and dental health free, paid for by taxes, full stop. end the wars, full stop.

liberal centrist messaging on the hand is overly complicated to hide the fact that it's also ghoulishly evil too, or at least so absolutely minimally beneficial to regular people in order to lessen its impact on the rulling class. hillary's 18 point plan for 823 different issues, also how when liberals pay lip service to medicare for all they sneak in "access" and "affordable," indicating that they will make it another complicated nightmare that does almost nothing like ACA.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the ACA was literally a rightwing healthcare plan thought up by the heritage foundation, supported by gingrich, and implemented before by mitt romney lol

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Obama straight up admitted he's an 80s republican and democrats are so degenerate that they just went "yeah that's great, the 80s were when republicans were honorable" *sucks fart out of Aaron Sorkin's rear end*

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://twitter.com/cato_of_utica/status/1040962848279732224?s=21

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
workers conditions in america are so beyond hosed up

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zzulu posted:

workers conditions in america are so beyond hosed up

You shut the gently caress up its the greatest country in the world no wait stop don't look behind that curtain

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

they're horrible until you tip over into professional white person work then you get lot of nice fancy benefits. it just makes things more stark for the 90% of americans who will never, ever attain things like paid sick leave or vacation days though.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Frog Act posted:

they're horrible until you tip over into professional white person work then you get lot of nice fancy benefits. it just makes things more stark for the 90% of americans who will never, ever attain things like paid sick leave or vacation days though.

things has been consistently getting worse for professional workers too though, look at the engineers at Tesla or any of the drowning silicon valley companies, people are overworked from staff shortages. Doctors in america also have it pretty bad too in the same way. Not enough trained professionals and too much workload on those that do. If your a med student you basically work 24-hour shifts for several days, increasing the number of mistakes.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
almost like civilization is dying

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

almost like civilization is dying

Healthcare $0
Education $0
Infrastructure $0
Offshore Bank Accounts $21,000,000,000,000
Welfare $0
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my country is dying

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

qkkl posted:

The purpose of allowing companies to make a profit would be to give an incentive for future companies to develop new drugs. Even if the R&D is funded by the government it would still be good to give those researchers who receive the government funds an incentive to work hard. A researcher would work harder on developing the cure for cancer if they knew that they would be a billionaire if they succeeded, as opposed to just receiving their government funded salary.

on the other hand, Jonas Salk, Mr. "As well patent the sun" .

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

For the first 42 days, the employer has to pay you, but I do think you only get something like 70 percent of your regular pay.

That's called short-term disability insurance and you can buy it separately from your insurance provider for a low low monthly fee!

Also you only get like 60% of your income because gently caress you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

babypolis posted:

People who watch fox news sure do, or at least my relatives sure do. You can tell them something completely factual, even tell them where they can check it for themselves, and they interpret it as an opinion and come back with some unrelated "fact" to "balance" it. Like back when obamacare's website was falling apart I mentioned the way the UK handled web stuff was to have one group build the site and then only turn it over to contractors to run instead of having 80 different contractors build it without ever talking to each other, and to "balance" this fact they had to add "yeah but they have really long wait times to see a doctor!"

I'm real glad they moved to another state so we don't have to have thanksgiving with them anymore

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

democrats are just another wing of the business party and push rightwing policies as accomplices with the republican party hth

dems are not left wing

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Crystals
Numerology
Vaccines= bad
Reiki or whatever that is
Feng sui
"Actually giving huge tax breaks is good because this new can factory will create like 100 lovely jobs"
"Man we gotta get Clinton in the white house we need Bill as the first man lol"
Atoms= bad
Chemicals= bad
Gmo= bad
Gluten= bad
"What we never did anything like that in Latin America, America wouldn't do that"

Yeah it's not strictly left but there's plenty of abject morons who do in fact live in some kind of antireal zone

bruh most of these things are postmodernism. marx was a modernist and would disagree with this stuff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

babypolis posted:

dems are not left wing

this is dumb and you know it

They aren't left wing enough by a fair bit, and maybe not by some arbitrary academic ruler you want to impose, but in the US they represent the only organized left.

I hope DSA changes them from within for the better

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Bloop posted:

They aren't left wing enough by a fair bit, and maybe not by some arbitrary academic ruler you want to impose, but in the US they represent the only organized left.

I hope DSA changes them from within for the better

you can define it however you will but i think its impossible to deny that as it stands now the democratic party is completely incapable of passing any left wing legislation

as someone else pointed out the last time they had full control of government they passed the ACA, a healthcare plan designed by the heritage foundation

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

The Bloop posted:

but in the US they represent the only organized left.

Lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

babypolis posted:

as someone else pointed out the last time they had full control of government they passed the ACA, a healthcare plan designed by the heritage foundation

Obama was a centrist pragmatist who valued cooperation and belief in the supposed patriotism of Republicans over jamming through results. It was his biggest flaw as a president.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Or he was ok with the heritage foundation solution

Are we still giving Obama the benefit of the doubt? He could have done other things he promised but never did without congressional approval and actually *expanded* some of the worst things like drone warfare, deportations and surveillance.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The Bloop posted:

Obama was a centrist pragmatist who valued cooperation and belief in the supposed patriotism of Republicans over jamming through results. It was his biggest flaw as a president.

Weird because a bunch of old white people told me he was the most divisive president.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Scary! posted:

Or he was ok with the heritage foundation solution

Are we still giving Obama the benefit of the doubt? He could have done other things he promised but never did without congressional approval and actually *expanded* some of the worst things like drone warfare, deportations and surveillance.

dont forget his lust for a GRAND BARGAIn (cutting social security)

The Bloop posted:

thats a big loving flaw buddy

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Len posted:

I asked a friend who gets that mythical thing called sick time what it's like once. His answer was "I get 5 a year and I've used 4 because getting up on Mondays is rough"

Fucker.

This is where I get to be all European and say that sick time here is basically unlimited and 25+ days holiday in a fulltime job is the norm in any sort of office job.

Hell, if it's under a few days you don't need a doctors cert, and even over that I've never been asked for one for anything less than a fortnight.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Weird because a bunch of old white people told me he was the most divisive president.
Yeah turns out lots of people are super racist

babypolis posted:

thats a big loving flaw buddy
Yeah no poo poo

I'd still take him back in a second over president poop tweet

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The Bloop posted:

Your post works better without the quote.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, what with the expanding the military budget and voting for wars and de-regulating wall street and being owned by billionares.

Yep. The dems are left wing as they come.

The Bloop posted:

I'd still take him back in a second over president poop tweet

Agreed. I prefer it when our overseas murder programs and stateside torture camps don't have such an ugly face.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The current state of US politics can be summed up in two lines.

- The Emperor has no clothes

- The Dems have no balls

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Chomp8645 posted:

The current state of US politics can be summed up in two lines.

- The Emperor has no clothes

- The Dems have no balls

-JEB!

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this is the democrats' idea of what "the left" should be

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Spuckuk posted:

This is where I get to be all European and say that sick time here is basically unlimited and 25+ days holiday in a fulltime job is the norm in any sort of office job.

Hell, if it's under a few days you don't need a doctors cert, and even over that I've never been asked for one for anything less than a fortnight.

Yeah.. This is the standard in the civilized world

Must be hellish working in America

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tetracube posted:

I like the papier mâché B-2 bomber, really adds that extra zing so you have no doubt that this is the Northrup Grumman that makes nuclear apocalypse murder machines and not like, the division that just makes satellite components or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tetracube posted:

can’t wait for the day when one of them finally asks “are we the baddies”