Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A few, but that's just Metroid 2, honestly, fighting the same 3 or 4 variations for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Metroid 2 was the only Game Boy game I ever beat.

I guess it was also one of eight Game Boy games I ever played, including Super Mario Land, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Donkey Kong, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, The Amazing Spider-Man and Star Trek: 25th Anniversary

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Featuring a completely normal pronunciation of "orb"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNjxi1-qTE&t=922s

There's some more examples of the voice talent around 5:55

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Metroid 2 was the only Game Boy game I ever beat.

I guess it was also one of eight Game Boy games I ever played, including Super Mario Land, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Donkey Kong, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, The Amazing Spider-Man and Star Trek: 25th Anniversary

If you haven't played Link's Awakening what's wrong with you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i beat the gameboy kid icarus but i'd be hard pressed to remember any other original gameboy games i beat since i was probably between the ages of 6 and 10 when i had an original game boy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

If you haven't played Link's Awakening what's wrong with you

I never played Pokémon either :negative:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I remember having this Game Boy game that was a side-scrolling platformer and you played a dude with a staff that could sometimes shoot like fireballs and the whole gist of the game was to like fight pollution or something. I think your dude looked like a ninja? That game was rad.

Zen: Intergalactic Ninja. Apparently it was a comic

suuma fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 17, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

suuma posted:

I remember having this Game Boy game that was a side-scrolling platformer and you played a dude with a staff that could sometimes shoot like fireballs and the whole gist of the game was to like fight pollution or something. I think your dude looked like a ninja? That game was rad.

Zen: Intergalactic Ninja. Apparently it was a comic

i remember that. i think it was some knock off comics company's attempt to launch their own version of captain planet. he had a team of nature based allies one of which was a groot-esque plant dude.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never played Pokémon either :negative:

Original Pokemon isn't really worth playing anymore except as a historical thing. Link's Awakening holds up though (though it has a superior GBC port and the Oracle games take the same formula and improve on it imo)

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I played Link's Awakening before I ever played a Mario game with a Yoshi in it, though I knew what the character was, so L:A having both a chain chomp and a yoshi in it was pretty surreal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It has goombas and cheep cheeps too

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Now that I think about it I guess it had bob-ombs too.

7 year old me wasn't prepared for this crossover.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i remember that. i think it was some knock off comics company's attempt to launch their own version of captain planet. he had a team of nature based allies one of which was a groot-esque plant dude.

i googled up a synopsis and jesus christ 90's get your poo poo together

quote:

Digging in his backyard, Jeremy Baker finds a geocrystal. This triggers the rise of Lord Contaminous, who wants the crystal for himself. Zen, also contracted to find the crystal, saves Jeremy Baker, takes him aboard his T-Pod and flies him to his Hypership. Zen contacts the Gordons, who explain the role of the geocrystal, why Lord Contaminous wants it, that Jeremy Baker is Earth's Starchilde and must protect the Earth against pollution. Zen becomes Jeremy's first counselor. Pilot general Karl Lorenz has seen Zen taking Jeremy Baker to his ship and misinterprets this as the abduction of an Earth child by an alien. So now Zen has the army on his back, and he has to prepare for the attack of Lord Contaminous. Luckily, the Gordons left something behind in the cargo bay of Zen's Hypership: a Recyclotron. Back on Earth, Jeremy Baker gathers heaps of garbage and puts the Recyclotron to work. It creates the Recycled Heroes: Can-It, Pulp, Bottle Bandit, Lawnranger and Lights Out. Working together, Zen and the Recycled Heroes are able to defeat Lord Contaminous and his henchmen as well as holding off the army.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Battle Unit Zeoth, motherfuckers

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i googled up a synopsis and jesus christ 90's get your poo poo together

I'M the Bottle Bandit

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Featuring a completely normal pronunciation of "orb"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNjxi1-qTE&t=922s

There's some more examples of the voice talent around 5:55

oh god that music, its insanely jarring

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Original Pokemon isn't really worth playing anymore except as a historical thing. Link's Awakening holds up though (though it has a superior GBC port and the Oracle games take the same formula and improve on it imo)

man I'm playing crystal and so many decisions related to pokemon placement and movesets are insanely baffling to me

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I loved Pokemon as a kid but bounced real hard off of Omega Ruby, Black and Y. I think its the pace, having to spend like 4 hours doing what is effectively a tutorial and then the slow battles. If it had a fast-forward button I think i'd be all over it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I love pokemon but boy does it need a "I've been playing the games longer than the target demographic has been alive, cut the tutorial bullshit" option

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
My tiny 3ds hurts my hands to hold too :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I love pokemon but boy does it need a "I've been playing the games longer than the target demographic has been alive, cut the tutorial bullshit" option
instead they went the opposite direction

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Okay so I had to quit Wildstar early because even after managing to deal with how mediocre to terrible the whole game was the last zone (Grimvault) managed to break me. Imagine Silithus from WoW but 10x the size with 10x the mob density, everything takes at least a couple minutes to kill and the quests require you to kill 10-30 mobs each. Add to this the fact that there's no looping music so you're usually in total silence between the obnoxious sound effects, it looks terrible, and whereas every other zone has had like 7-10 arcs/quest hubs Grimvault has !!!21!!!.

I thought I could pick away at it since they still haven't announced a day for when the servers are actually going down yet, but when I logged in to try and knock out one of the quest hubs it was like all my gaming enthusiasm was sapped out of my body, and I need that hard drive space, so..

I got to level 46, though, so I'm proud I lasted as long as I did.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You could just play good games instead of bad games imo

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

You could just play good games instead of bad games imo

Good and bad are relative. There are people who love the Neptunia games and I'd rather be punched in the gut than touch them. Wildstar wasn't a black hole of goodness, I genuinely liked the aesthetic and housing, it just happened to be wrapped up in a thick layer of poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was referring to how you thought it was bad and yet still kept playing until level 46, not trying to appeal to some nebulous concept of objective goodness

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

I was referring to how you thought it was bad and yet still kept playing until level 46, not trying to appeal to some nebulous concept of objective goodness

Oh, well, yeah. Sunk cost fallacy I guess? I'd already gotten so far and up to a point the game was relatively breezy in its progression. Once you hit the larger zones where both factions shared quest hubs it started to drag on, then the last two really slammed on the breaks and you start to feel the influence of old vanilla WoW from the devs there where everything takes three times as long as it should and is half as convenient. Guess I figured I could power through it.

I think the fact that the Steam achievements I got for the game were listed as some of the rarest on the platform flipped some sort of achievement hunter switch in my brain. Shows you how horribly the game did, the achievements you get for doing the main story quests of all things are held by less than 1% of all users.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean from what i know about the destiny 2 threads there's an entire cult of personality going on over there where the most prolific posters are people with triple digit hours spent in the game that for the entire past year bitched and moaned about how they absolutely loathed everything about destiny 2

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

i mean from what i know about the destiny 2 threads there's an entire cult of personality going on over there where the most prolific posters are people with triple digit hours spent in the game that for the entire past year bitched and moaned about how they absolutely loathed everything about destiny 2

I never understood the hate for Destiny 2. It's not amazing, but it's solid enough to have been worth the purchase price. Maybe if you were a diehard fan of the first one it would be a bigger letdown, I dunno.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It's that Destiny bills itself as a Diablo style forevergame but D2 was really thin on content, had several anti-player design decisions, and esports chasing made the pvp way worse than it could have been.

The raids still seem like fun but I don't have any friends who would want to try them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Verranicus posted:

I never understood the hate for Destiny 2. It's not amazing, but it's solid enough to have been worth the purchase price. Maybe if you were a diehard fan of the first one it would be a bigger letdown, I dunno.

i think the way it worked out was these were people who sunk hundreds upon hundreds of hours into the first destiny and then when destiny 2 came out intended to do the same but it was shallower at launch than destiny 1 was after a couple of years of support. so they still sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into it, but under protest. me and all my friends who picked it up having never touched destiny 1 got our 30 or so hours of it, enjoyed it, and then moved on to other games, like normal people do.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
My biggest issue with the PVP was that teams were so small if I was having a bad game I felt like I was dragging my whole team down. I prefer larger teams where one person sucking doesn't doom you to a guaranteed loss.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
These days I mostly consider "forever games" as games that I come back to for a while when new content launches, rather than as true forever games, and I think I'm happier for it. That said the stars aligned and I'm gonna be raiding again in ffxiv starting tomorrow so

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm similar, in that I consider FFXIV and WoW to be games I can go back to whenever and always enjoy it right away, to the point where I usually don't even uninstall them if I go months and months without playing as a break. Overwatch too, I guess? Though that depends more on my mood.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The funny thing about the Destiny franchise is that Destiny 1 started out in a somewhat primitive, unrefined state with a dearth of content and some very strange design decisions which you'd think any gamer with half a brain would have averted. But over the years Bungie was able to gradually iron out the kinks, release more content, and bash it into a shape mostly resembling a good, sustainable game. Then for Destiny 2 they threw out all of that and started over in a different primitive, unrefined state with a dearth of content and some different very strange design decisions which you'd think any gamer with half a brain would have averted.

The new expansion does seem to be the real deal, though- the game feels completely reinvigorated, with fewer pain points, bad decisions reversed, a ton of stuff to do and more unlocking frequently. I ran one of the raids over the weekend for the first time in months and it was a blast.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

having played launch destiny 2 and now a bunch of the expansion i can safely say it is definitely More Destiny 2 and i don't get the huge wave of rejoicing over it being a complete and amazing overhaul of everything that was wrong with the game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Removing anything resembling BTB was the worst part of Destiny 2. The main campaign was fun and the expansions, including the last one, have been pretty good and added 6v6 back in the mix. I just don't think it's good as a forever game, but then, I don't like forever games. Too many good games around to get stuck playing Diablo or some MMO for hundreds or thousands of hours.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Man I really wish Nintendo would sell switches in all the colors N64s and GBCs came in.

Course I already modded my switch with a clear teal case so :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bloodychill posted:

Removing anything resembling BTB was the worst part of Destiny 2. The main campaign was fun and the expansions, including the last one, have been pretty good and added 6v6 back in the mix. I just don't think it's good as a forever game, but then, I don't like forever games. Too many good games around to get stuck playing Diablo or some MMO for hundreds or thousands of hours.

Also removing warthogs being a stupid thing about D1 and D2.

Also removing all the good progression D1 finally patched in. What the gently caress was that. D2 was literally a re-tread of everything Vanilla D1 hosed up that they slowly fixed over like three years.

Cowcaster posted:

having played launch destiny 2 and now a bunch of the expansion i can safely say it is definitely More Destiny 2 and i don't get the huge wave of rejoicing over it being a complete and amazing overhaul of everything that was wrong with the game

People who have bought into destiny due to being Halo fans are real desperate to justify their purchases, which Bungie keeps making them tithe every 3-4 months even though its still the same game with a tiny bit of new content.

I love Halo and I loved Bungie but drat that poo poo is dead to me.

Seriously if you bought all of D1 and D2 expansions plus both games, you're in for like $300+. Its approaching Star Citizen levels of greed and fan-squeezing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

These days I mostly consider "forever games" as games that I come back to for a while when new content launches, rather than as true forever games, and I think I'm happier for it. That said the stars aligned and I'm gonna be raiding again in ffxiv starting tomorrow so

I'm pretty jealous - I had a static of real-life friends at at the end of Heavensward/first few months of Stormblood and doing savage/EX fights in a regular group is by far the most fun thing in the game. It broke up for reasons, and I haven't had the drive to meet new people and get into a new one yet.

plus I'm bad at the game

• Locked thread