Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think at this point one needs to ask the real question...has Roberts been mocaped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's the new WKRP.

in Cincinnati...

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think at this point one needs to ask the real question...has Roberts been mocaped?

He's the liquid in the cup.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Roberts was the wavy-handed Jeremy Clarkson knockoff

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Slow_Moe posted:

Crobbers doesn't take pot shots, he just steals from them instead. He will probably announce that there will be subspace radio stations in SC, complete with the radio DJ dream job that some of the backers want.

Also a radio ship somehow, 350$, new money only thanks.

This is a great call. Also what's hilarious about this is that the "tier 0" implementation of this (a VOIP link linking everyone in the game, mute everyone but the DJ) should take like a whole week to develop _maybe_; yet it'll linger on the backlog for at least a year.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monkeytek posted:

in Cincinnati...

Ha. For those over the pond our radio/tv channels have a certain nomenclature. East of the Mississippi river you get a 'W'. West is a 'K'.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
About the scaling down thing: I don't really know anything about programming physics, so this is pulled from my rear end.
I know you have to ignore some values after a threshold.
Imagine a bouncing ball with physics, that bounces less and less high with each bounce. You have to cut the physics calculation at some point. Otherwise you won't see the ball moving, but you can be sure your physics are still calculating the microns the ball is moving with each bounce.
Same with forces acting on each other. Or Objects hitting each other. At one point you got to tell your physics to stop.
Now if everything is very tiny......

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

iospace posted:

If I were at CIG, and I held enough influence on Chris to be able to pull this off, I'd do this:

-Demand that the game scale gets paired back greatly. Pick out what features need to be included for it to work, then work on them. Remind him of what happened with Freelancer, and how Microsoft was able to make his product theirs.
-State that the game scale needed to be reduced because "either more delays or an actual full release."
-Set a hard deadline.
-End all new ship designs, or at least a moratorium on them.
-Make 45 USD total contributed "full game" access, regardless if a "game pack" was purchased or not.
-Pull every other game developer and take the now "removed" assets and put them in DLC. Those who have contributed 45 bucks by a certain point (release, maybe a bit earlier, like one of the final betas) get them for free, which encourages early adoption.
-Ditch the whale clubs.

But I'm also not invested in a massive scam, so none of this will happen

LOL, Star Citizen is getting in your head mate.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

It's been a while since ol' Ryan Archer was mentioned, so here's a fun look at the Ryan Archer of Comics... Greg Land!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bshNOtERfVI

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yes, I'm sure this will work.

quote:

Note that the top two images here are concept art, and that the rest are screens

Concept Art Lumberyard MMO Take 2

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 17, 2018

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ha. For those over the pond our radio/tv channels have a certain nomenclature. East of the Mississippi river you get a 'W'. West is a 'K'.

WKRP brought back a lot of memories, the "walls" and "door" for Les Nessman are so perfect for SC fanatics and the crap they pretend exists or is definitely coming.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

The funny thing is New World is being torn apart because it is capped at 500 per server, yet the very same detractors are falling over themselves with SC on MMORPG, hmmm.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

The funny thing is New World is being torn apart because it is capped at 500 per server, yet the very same detractors are falling over themselves with SC on MMORPG, hmmm.

Well that's because - as Chris Roberts will no doubt prove any day now - the idea of a 'server' in an MMO is an archaic throwback relegated to the dustbin of history by quantum tunneling and multi-shard hyperlane dream interfacing.

Duh.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

More people in discord than in game.

Also, good Lethality_check.

So, Amazon Game Studios, these guys have enough money to really pull off some amaz....

Ah.

edit: Also that _one_ screen just feels really historically inaccurate, and I'm not sure that it's the best period/place for an MMO. I mean 'rivers of blood' and 'Cortez' are normally fairly close in proximity.

edit2:

quote:

In my 15-20 minutes playing the game, I instead got to kill a few wolves, chop down a tree, then put on some armour and raid another clan's base. This demo is set in one small peninsula of what seems like a gigantic map. Scale, density and population are mentioned as the goals in building this environment.

The most fun part of this demo is a very guided siege of the base of another player, called Jack the Blade. I carry a gunpowder keg to a fragile-looking wall outside, place it down, light a fuse then stand back. As the wall blows, me and a few other players collectively kill the clan leader and the other troops hanging around there, before claiming the territory. The combat feels a bit too gentle to me at the moment, and I prefer aiming and firing a rifle to swinging a sword, but there is drama and excitement to this mini-siege as all the different players clash.

This is just a microcosm of the sort of conflicts the game wants to bring to life. I ask Gilmore how many players they expect to support in this continent. "The land area, and again we have to test and make sure we're right, but the land area is designed for 10,000. That's a lot. That's off in the future. We're going to start at 500, which is already big, and we're just gonna grow it from there."

Groundbreaking...ah...wolf killing gameplay, and tree chopping.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 17, 2018

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I appreciate that this individual exists because their seal of approval on anything is a easy way to tell what I should avoid.

It's like that old Nintendo seal of quality from back in the NES days but for really terrible MMOs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lethality is so loving thirsty to be in early on a game so he can be a founding member of that "community". I truely believe he doesn't give a poo poo what game it is but as long as it gets super popular he wants to be the guy running the discord/fan site/whatever. Its hilarious.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Lol, of course it's lethality hyping another "still in concept" project. Does he ever talk about actual released titles?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

He gets paid by these poo poo companies to be an early influencer right?

Otherwise I don't see how he spends all day and night shilling and running discords and still earns money.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Otherwise I don't see how he spends all day and night shilling and running discords and still earns money.

He still put out a huge shill thread for wildstar even after the game completely shut down so I think it's more likely he's just really broke brained.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

quote:

Amazon's cloud technology is how the game supports this many players. "The biggest breakthrough was that ability to scale one simulation across multiple hubs in the cloud," Gilmore explains, as I pretend to completely understand what that means. "We're leveraging AWS to create a new type of gameplay experience, and that was really kind of the foundation of the game. First we had to build the technology, and then it was all about, what's the customer experience?" Amazon, then, is looking to demonstrate its tech's potential with this game. "Absolutely. Although the technology is bespoke to this game—it's brand new and created just for New World."

The last sentence is worth reading first, as it underlines the 'Amazon's secretly working with CiG' fallacy. RSI is not an Amazon Games Studio, and the competitive advantage goes to the house.

The other bit is the handwaving; in this regard what he describes isn't dissimilar to the old way of running MMOs - large persistance store to handle world state, then you spin up environments (like dungeons or the interior of something), into a separate running instance. You can't do this realtime, BTW, even virtual images take _seconds_ to bring up, so you usually maintain 'hot standbys'. Amazon's strength is that it's commoditized the concept of auto-scaling, even if the actual execution leaves something to be desired.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Carlisle posted:

There are kids out there devaluing themselves over the concept that their time is cheap, and the whole gig economy is really starting to get on it's feet, so the idea of getting in at the ground floor is _really_ popular, but entirely fallacious when you consider the cap on earnings unless you become from of the real *youtube stars*.

giogetmoney appears to be on this same axis, but he has that meatspace appeal that being faceless doesn't get you. Seriously, streamers put themselves on camera for brand recognition.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Wasn’t there supposed to be some docs about the Coutts loan being released, some mandatory filing thing? Or did I imagine as a result of a fidelity induced fever dream?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Can someone catch me up on the last 1k pages or so? Is SC good yet?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes.

You can quote the poo poo out of this is you want.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Inkel posted:

Yes.

You can quote the poo poo out of this is you want.

Perfect. I was hoping I'd have some material to quote the poo poo out of and I'm not disappointed.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

Perfect. I was hoping I'd have some material to quote the poo poo out of and I'm not disappointed.

We need some good MoMA quotes for CitizenCon / Star Citizen Alpha 3.3

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

hows the grey market treating you

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

We need some good MoMA quotes for CitizenCon / Star Citizen Alpha 3.3

I need a hot take on the release date for SQ42. Nay, *require*.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Woah, MoMA is back! What are you most excited to see from citcon?

I can't wait to see Chris play his game live.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Beet how could you strike down Moma so quickly?!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Krycek posted:

Woah, MoMA is back!

This is a really, really good sign. Some good poo poo coming from CIG in the next couple of weeks. We will not be disappointed.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TheAgent posted:

hows the grey market treating you

I'm not dealing in it currently, so don't know.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Hav posted:

I need a hot take on the release date for SQ42. Nay, *require*.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Fuckin LOL moma you are too much

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

This is a really, really good sign. Some good poo poo coming from CIG in the next couple of weeks. We will not be disappointed.

There are expectations to manage!

Blimey.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Using the word “rampantly” seems really on the nose, as I can seriously conceive of Lethality theorycrafting about the inevitable consequences of colonization with a raging erection on that discord he’s attempting to pimp.

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 17, 2018

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Quoting the poo poo out of this for later

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
To get the best out of MoMA we must have Derek back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

BeigeJacket posted:

Wasn’t there supposed to be some docs about the Coutts loan being released, some mandatory filing thing? Or did I imagine as a result of a fidelity induced fever dream?

CIG UK is the company that has the loan and CIG UK and RSI UK have a filing deadline for their accounts at the end of this month. So uh, two weeks. They never file their accounts on time, so it will be more than two weeks.