Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I don't get why Matt Berry was hired to do a character in Disenchantment if they were going to make him tone it down.

Ditto any other time a celeb is cast and ends up doing a boring voice.

Yeah, I love Berry but he got like 2 good lines in the whole season.

One of them made me laugh though, more than basically all of disenchanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Recommending Naruto to someone should be a war crime. It's nothing but that chumbawumba song repeated for hundreds of episodes. He learns some things, gets his rear end kicked most of the episode, powers up and wins at the last minute. It bored the hell out of me and I have really low standards for things I spend my time watching.

Worse than that, the "good" parts of Naruto people like are basically all emotional cliches jacked up to 11 to tug on heartstrings as a cheap form of emotional character development. Over and over, these kids have seen so much horrible poo poo, aren't they cool?

My hero academia is naruto but better in every possible regard. Its actually fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JK Rowling writes good prose, has a great sense of pacing, and an exceptional knack for writing mystery/drama page turners.

But her world building ("lore" to kids these days) is basically non-existent, and as soon as you think about ANY spell, or magic item, or whatever for more than 5 minutes it falls apart.

Like Stephen King she should focus more on one-offs than huge shared universes. And stick to magical realism where she can be creative, straight realism isn't her strong suit.

Morpheus posted:

For a more sort of 'consistent' world, I'd recommend The Magicians. Magic in that is almost a science, in that it's complex, based on rules, and loving hard. It's not a matter of waving your wand and saying some bullshit words, it's more like analyzing the phase of the moon, time of day, ambient temperature of the room, and any other host of factors, and changing the motions you make based on all that in just slightly subtle ways to make magic occur.

Magicians has a cool world but the characters are all AWFUL people.

I think it intentional, maybe to make them seem less heroic and more real? Can't stand anybody but Penny though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zaphod42 posted:

I think it intentional, maybe to make them seem less heroic and more real? Can't stand anybody but Penny though.

This is true. Well, at least until the third book, maybe halfway through the second.

But yeah it's weird reading a story where you realize that hanging out with the main character would be an insufferable experience. Maybe it's an indictment of the kind of people that would actually become wizards and stuff. But the world and the overall plot (once it starts rolling) was interesting enough for me to keep moving forward. I also liked how the protagonist decides to pick up sword fighting from a master fighter and very quickly realizes he is terrible at it, and the only reason he wants to do it is because he thinks it'll make him look badass, not realizing how much work he'd actually need to put into it. So he gives up. Was a refreshing change of pace.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that TV Magicians went entirely different from the books. It started off trying to adapt the first one which didn't go too well and then it just ran off into its own thing. They're both neat looks at what if magic was real and wizards were pricks. Also everyone is very pretty and very mean

e: and although I loved the whole Harry Potter thing when I was younger (and there's still bits I really like) good lord I can not stand JK Rowling any more. some people are just awful on social media

McDragon has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Sep 17, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Twitch posted:

If you want something that's like Harry Potter, only the fantasy world is more internally consistent, and it reinforces the idea that whenever you don't see one of the protagonists, they're studying/training their rear end off, you should watch Naruto. It's also a 700 episode long anime, but that isn't stopping me.

If you're going to recommend an anime/manga with someone's hard work paying off, at least have the decency of it being Hajime no Ippo

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The thing about Magicians is that the author was hugely suffering from depression and writing the first book was his way of working through that. The main character is loving unlikable because, let's be honest, depressed, mentally ill people aren't fun to be around, surprise.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm trying g to watch this movie called Demon House and the lead in it is such a douchebag that it's killing me. His name is Zak Bagans (middle name apparently "douche") and he wears his sunglasses in every goddamn scene.

It's supposed to be a ghost hunting/demon hunting "documentary" but it's just so badly acted... I knew it was gonna suck but goddamn. The dude is literally making it harder on himself to see if there's an afterlife by wearing his sunglasses all the goddamn time.

He wasn't acting.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Holy gently caress man, I don't want to read a single one of your lovely posts, much less four in a goddamn row. Find the loving edit button already!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Catpain Slack posted:

Holy gently caress man, I don't want to read a single one of your lovely posts, much less four in a goddamn row. Find the loving edit button already!

Lots of goons have a conniption fit if you edit posts, there's no one solution that pleases everybody. And editing them together would change nothing, you'd still have to scroll down a bit, grow up and move on.

Find the loving ignore button already if it bothers you so much, nobody cares.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

But her world building ("lore" to kids these days) is basically non-existent, and as soon as you think about ANY spell, or magic item, or whatever for more than 5 minutes it falls apart.

Honestly, the worldbuilding probably just wasn't her priority. I imagine it may have been a bit like (and this is a remote comparison - bear with me) Raymond Chandler thought that the mystery and the plot was less important than the character of Marlowe and what his thoughts and feelings were.

Regardless, I feel like the confusion of "worldbuilding" with "storytelling" (and the fixation on the former which you see with certain audiences) is a relatively recent development, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, the worldbuilding probably just wasn't her priority. I imagine it may have been a bit like (and this is a remote comparison - bear with me) Raymond Chandler thought that the mystery and the plot was less important than the character of Marlowe and what his thoughts and feelings were.

Regardless, I feel like the confusion of "worldbuilding" with "storytelling" (and the fixation on the former which you see with certain audiences) is a relatively recent development, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

No it definitely is a new obsession, but authors have always considered these things to some extent.Tolkien obviously was the big one who obsessed over it, along with others. And pre-21st century writing has a lot more 'set up' than modern literature.

Its not confusion, worldbuilding IS a part of story. Narrative is another. But I agree that people miss the forest for the trees often when it comes to "lore" obsession.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Harry potter books are very consistent with solving problems with magic introduced within the same book, but generally ignore previous books.

Harry doesn't solve any problems by casting spells in the first book at all.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

BiggerBoat posted:

Even though she was great in the role, I was always sort of annoyed at Charlize Theron being cast in Monster. There are probably thousands of very competent female actors that don't get roles because they're not pretty enough so, instead of finding a less glamorous actor who can really act, they used unflattering makeup and (I think) prosthetics to make the character less physically attractive.

Not sure if I'm wording my point very well but I can't think of too many male rolls where they took a good looking guy and made him ugly rather than just finding an unattractive actor. Like, female actors who are overweight almost only ever get roles where "being fat" is an essential element of their character while overweight male actors routinely get cast as "regular dude".

I am being irrational.

See also: the upcoming Rob Ford biopic where, instead of hiring a fat actor who would probably LOVE to have the starring-role exposure that is typically not available to fat people, they hired Damian Lewis--a thin actor with a notably narrow and angular face--and coccooned him in a nightmarish fat suit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Patattack posted:

See also: the upcoming Rob Ford biopic where, instead of hiring a fat actor who would probably LOVE to have the starring-role exposure that is typically not available to fat people, they hired Damian Lewis--a thin actor with a notably narrow and angular face--and coccooned him in a nightmarish fat suit.

He finally got to wear the fat suit they didn't give him for Henry VIII

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If it had been Christian Bale, you know he'd have gone out of his way to gain all that weight for real. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Twitch posted:

If you want something that's like Harry Potter, only the fantasy world is more internally consistent, and it reinforces the idea that whenever you don't see one of the protagonists, they're studying/training their rear end off, you should watch Naruto. It's also a 700 episode long anime, but that isn't stopping me.

Holy poo poo that was a good loving joke. Goddamn, what a punchline.

Everyone knows that if you want to see someone rise up from nothing to become a legend, you either play Final Fantasy Tactics or the Yakuza series.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Zaphod42 posted:

JK Rowling writes good prose, has a great sense of pacing, and an exceptional knack for writing mystery/drama page turners.

Like Stephen King she should focus more on one-offs than huge shared universes. And stick to magical realism where she can be creative, straight realism isn't her strong suit.

I agree with this, both about Harry Potter and The Magicians.

However I don’t think that her retroactive “Maybe Hermione was black all along” comment was necessarily trying claim false progressiveness or take credit for the casting. I think she made the comment just to troll the racists who were getting up in arms on the internet over the casting news.
The whole controversy was dumb anyway. Theater as a medium is allowed to take greater risks in casting off type because the audience it reaches is much less than tv shows or movies and a particular actor’s time in a role is generally temporary. For example in Wicked there have been several times that a black man has played The Wizard of Oz, a role that is typically thought of as a white person or for a better example look at Hamilton which has cast plenty of black people in the roles of the (very white) founding fathers.
The news that Hermione would be black in (the original cast of) Cursed Child should have elicited nothing more then “Hmm, that’s an interesting take on that character” but some people treating HP like a sacred text mixed with racists on the internet led to a minor controversy that JK just couldn’t keep from baiting.
I don’t use twitter so I believe the other examples people have posted of her being lovely but I’ve also seen her willing to troll assholes on it so there’s that.

I do think that Dumbledore being gay is totally a lovely way for her to look like she’s progressive without actually having to do anything though.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: the gently caress am I rambling about

Imagined has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Sep 17, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One Piece does the training stuff best: By not doing it. Characters are assumed to be training and working on stuff (and sometimes buying stuff) between chapters/episodes, and when they pull out new weapons or techniques either there's a brief explanation or a short flashback to how they learned it

And some things they don't even bother explaining, like the ultimate technique of technological refinement nipple lights.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Twitch posted:

Naruto gets a hard pass from me. Shonen Jump stuff is just the exact same characters inserted into different worlds/stories and after watching Dragonball Z and Bleach as a teenager I can't really stand them anymore

Japanese superheroes in general are far more the product of hard work than American ones though, who tend to be given their powers through situation of birth/magic/science/whatever.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I don't get why Matt Berry was hired to do a character in Disenchantment if they were going to make him tone it down.

Ditto any other time a celeb is cast and ends up doing a boring voice.

Yeah I'm sure this upcoming Grinch movie will be bad or whatever, but it's so weird that they cast Benedict Cumberbatch and are just having him do some weird flat American voice.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And some things they don't even bother explaining, like the ultimate technique of technological refinement nipple lights.

This explained by the fact that Franky rules

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You know who does good world building stuff imo? Dishonored.

Welp bye

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

dan aykroyd as a blond, blue-eyed smarmy bully is really setting my teeth on edge

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Pastry of the Year posted:

dan aykroyd as a blond, blue-eyed smarmy bully is really setting my teeth on edge

Looks like the kid from silent hill 2,what movie is this?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Looks like the kid from silent hill 2,what movie is this?

Neighbors (1981)

You will believe a Belushi and Aykroyd movie can be bad

But holy poo poo you're kinda right, that's uncanny

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Blue contacts on brown eyes always looks weird and off-putting.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Welp bye

More like oldhonorless

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I suppose one thing to say about Harry Potter is that I don't think a single 6-12 month window goes by without a 'this changes everything' headline story about a new piece of discovered lore hidden in plain sight in one of the novels as discovered by a Reddit user.

I don't know enough about the Pottersverse to know if maybe some retroactive realizations and revelations are a result of that kind of continued fan scouring of the source material AND perhaps the books themselves being full of random draft plot points that were supposed to eventually be fleshed out but were forgotten and abandoned but accidentally left in. It was better to just keep the prose in than take it out. I can see the latter happening.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tunicate posted:

Harry doesn't solve any problems by casting spells in the first book at all.

He freed that snake at the zoo and immediately solved one problem.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schubalts posted:

He freed that snake at the zoo and immediately solved one problem.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

In the Harry Potter books they give a teenager a time machine so she can take extra classes at school but won’t use it to stop a murdering super immortal snake demon magician Hell bent on destroying the world.

They have a time machine, every other problem in every other book could be pretty easily solved.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One thing which always annoyed me about Hary Potter and which had nothing to do with magic is how loving long people wait to do anything.

Malfoy see Hagrid with a baby dragon, everyone's terrified he's going to tell a teacher, but he decides to hold off. No kid thinks like that, especially not a sadistic twat like Malfoy.

All the books have something where the kids or the bad guys just hold off for no reason, so that the climax of the story can happen right at the end of the school year so Dumbledore can give Harry a million points and let his team win the house cup.

Also, Dumbledore never actually explains why he's giving all those points when he's giving them out.

Imagine being all the other kids, "Wow, looks like we won the cup this year, mum will be so proud." Get to the final dinner of the year, Dumbledore stands up, "And a billion points to Harry Potter for hurfing his durf with glorious alacrity."

Other kids, "The gently caress is this bullshit? Is this guy tenured or something?"

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Sep 18, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Didn't Rowling at one point say she wished she hadn't put a time machine into the franchise?

I mean, it's Hogwarts, not Stargate SG-1. Now THOSE people can write a time travel macguffin.

Edit: I thought she later wished she'd not made such a big deal about house points, too.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Sep 18, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

In the Harry Potter books they give a teenager a time machine so she can take extra classes at school but won’t use it to stop a murdering super immortal snake demon magician Hell bent on destroying the world.

They have a time machine, every other problem in every other book could be pretty easily solved.

Yeah, I quit the entire franchise right there. I'm told in a later book the villains blow up the store room containing every last time machine, we swear none left, which is possibly one of the weakest attempts at a franchise closing the barn door after the horse is gone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think JK Rowling has ever seen or played a sport before creating quidditch. I don't know, make it worth 150 points or whatever. It's magic.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Zaphod42 posted:

Absolutely intentional. Quentin was not written as a noble protagonist and everyone else is varying degrees of awful as well. Penny is actually way more likeable in the show than in the books, imo (and gorgeous :swoon: )

McDragon posted:

I like that TV Magicians went entirely different from the books. It started off trying to adapt the first one which didn't go too well and then it just ran off into its own thing. They're both neat looks at what if magic was real and wizards were pricks. Also everyone is very pretty and very mean
I'm still only halfway though season 2 of the TV show but I'm really enjoying how they seem to have decided to keep the spirit of the source material but just make some good fun watching instead of a loyal adaptation. Really good choice for sure.

oldpainless posted:

Welp bye
:bisonyes: :bisonyes: :bisonyes:
Dishonored 2 was loving perfection but I wish they hadn't answered so many questions in DotO that were better and more tantalizing while ambiguous.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Made it a few hours into the first dishonored but it was really boring (sneak through prison, go to sneaky outpost on the harbor, meet boring characters) so I dropped it and played through Deus Ex and then Bioshock Infinite and forgot about dishonored.

Is Dishonored 2 good? I'm all about story and characters. The only game I care about "emergent gameplay" is stuff like Kerbal Space Program.

E: this...isn't the game thread...

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, Dumbledore never actually explains why he's giving all those points when he's giving them out.

King of Foolians posted:

I do think that Dumbledore being gay is totally a lovely way for her to look like she’s progressive without actually having to do anything though.

Almost no teacher really explains why they give and take points so i'm sure the kids are used to it.

I don't think she deserves any special treatment for it but like it's not like dumbledore's lovelife is at all a thing in the story it is lovely however that they arent going to touch on that aspect of him in the upcoming movie apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Finally getting around to watching Solo. The pacing is AWFUL, the editing is an absolute disaster. Things happen too fast and cut too quick for the audience to get invested in the action at all.

I thought the "Han, solo" thing sounded okay on paper but watching the movie its dumb especially because the guy thinks to himself for a moment like he's being original and clever to come up with 'Solo'. If they're gonna do it that way, on a planet of orphans, he should have just been like "another one" and marked him Solo. Being like "hmm, how weird, this guy has no last name! Never had that happen before!" was silly.

And then he's like "Why would you come back here?" And like 5 minutes later one of the thief crew guys is like "psh, who goes back to Corellia?" Its way too much over-emphasizing the point. The director and writer have zero confidence the audience is paying attention to the film. One or the other of them saying that would be okay but with both of them happening its like, does Corellia have a reputation as being literally the worst shithole in the entire galaxy? We already know there's tons of shitholes in Star Wars.

Sorry I totally missed the thread on this one but why are there even normal human troops in the empire during Han's time? This isn't before the prequels, why aren't the stormtroopers just clones? I guess that's basically been retconned at this point?

I don't get how most storm troopers are clones but like... there's a few who aren't because the empire is slapdash or something??

Also struggling to see Maeve as not Maeve, or Woody Harrelson as not being Woody Harrelson. They generally cast nobodies in Star wars movies for this reason guys!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Absolutely intentional. Quentin was not written as a noble protagonist and everyone else is varying degrees of awful as well. Penny is actually way more likeable in the show than in the books, imo (and gorgeous :swoon: )

I'm still only halfway though season 2 of the TV show but I'm really enjoying how they seem to have decided to keep the spirit of the source material but just make some good fun watching instead of a loyal adaptation. Really good choice for sure.

I liked season 2, although I have to say overall everything with Reynard was pretty uncomfortable. I get it was in the books too but jeeze that was super dark and it felt like they kinda glossed over it considering how major that poo poo was.

And I get that Quentin isn't noble protagonist and I like that everything isn't just handed to him, but I need to respect him at least a little in order to want to watch or read about his adventures.