Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

wooger posted:

You share YouTube accounts, and thus google accounts with people?

Doesn’t that mean you can all see whatever the others watched, and your subscriptions are all intermingled?

I've been paying for Youtube red for the past couple of months but I just canceled it. I mean tbh I really like youtube music but outside of that the content on youtube is complete trash (except for RedLetterMedia and AVE).

If they drop the price to $5 I'll get it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Euro goons, do most of the credit card readers that waiters have also have NFC? When I was last on a visit there, it seemed really ingrained in the culture for you to present your card before the waitstaff would do anything so I never had a clue if the machine would take NFC/Apple pay. By contrast this didn’t seem like a problem in Canada; they seemed content to let me either insert my own card or use my phone.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Gunslinger posted:

Made the switch over to iOS from Android and pretty happy so far. Got an iPhone 8 Plus, its about as big as I want a phone to ever get otherwise I'll get thumb strain from trying to one hand it. The onboarding process sucked, the Move to iOS app just refused to work at all with a generic error message but oh well. Very happy with the quality of apps, I guess I was just used to lovely ports or whatever but man what a difference in some of them. A few of Googles own apps seem better even. Also solved all of my Bluetooth woes, everything just works fine with my car and etc. Battery life is superb but its brand new so that's to be expected. Performance is outstanding, what a difference coming from a Pixel.

I was really worried the lack of customization would affect me but I guess my thinking was outdating, I already switched keyboards and default apps on several things. I guess Apple is a lot better in this regard these days.

I think the only bummer I've encountered so far is the lack of Relay for Reddit. I'm waffling between Narwhal and Apollo right now instead but neither is as good as Relay. That and the anemic default storage in iCloud, 5GB is just laughable.

Why did you switch? I ask because I'm thinking of going to a Pixel 3 when it comes out, whereas I've been an iphone user since the first one came out.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I was really worried the lack of customization would affect me but I guess my thinking was outdating, I already switched keyboards and default apps on several things. I guess Apple is a lot better in this regard these days.

We can change default apps?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Why did you switch? I ask because I'm thinking of going to a Pixel 3 when it comes out, whereas I've been an iphone user since the first one came out.

I don't want to start a big platform debate, basically I was just fed up with various Android issues over the years. Sometimes subpar apps, update nonsense, bluetooth issues and just general quality I guess. Google is just a strange company, at one point they had 3-4 messaging apps going at the same time. So far its been great, I may end up on Android again one day but for now things are going well.

If you're just wanting a change then definitely get a Pixel because it will give you probably the best "Android" experience.

quote:

I changed the keyboard and camera roll upload stuff. I can't seem to change the default browser though.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

EpicNemesis posted:

No, but some some third party apps let you individually pick them - e.g. ‘open links in Chrome’.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Man, the live listen feature looks like it can be used for some nefarious purposes provided you can walk out of a room with your earbud in unnoticed. Turn it on, silence your phone, and leave it in a room and you can hear everything going on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Man, the live listen feature looks like it can be used for some nefarious purposes provided you can walk out of a room with your earbud in unnoticed. Turn it on, silence your phone, and leave it in a room and you can hear everything going on.

Wait what??

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

nwin posted:

Not the person you asked, but security is the big thing for me. iPhone and Pixel are both good on security, but Pixel only gets 3 years of updates and then bzzt.

But... I really want longevity. I used an iPhone 3G for 4 years, and a Nexus 4 for 6 years. I was upset with Apple for the 3G's software updates making it so slow, but ug. I did not realize going into it that security would just end on the Nexus 4 like that. I've stubbornly used an extremely insecure device for 3 years now.

But phone hardware is improving more slowly now, and Apple has turned out to be good about updates. Let's see if I can get this XS to last me 8 years... :)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

crazypenguin posted:

Not the person you asked, but security is the big thing for me. iPhone and Pixel are both good on security, but Pixel only gets 3 years of updates and then bzzt.

But... I really want longevity. I used an iPhone 3G for 4 years, and a Nexus 4 for 6 years. I was upset with Apple for the 3G's software updates making it so slow, but ug. I did not realize going into it that security would just end on the Nexus 4 like that. I've stubbornly used an extremely insecure device for 3 years now.

But phone hardware is improving more slowly now, and Apple has turned out to be good about updates. Let's see if I can get this XS to last me 8 years... :)

Yep, that's the one thing that's making me hesitate to switch-is just the longevity of the phones.

If I pay $750 for an iphone Xr but it lasts 4 years, that's better than buying a Pixel 3 for $650 and it only lasts 2-3 years.

I'm on a 6s right now and it's working great, but I did have the battery replaced a few months ago, so I would assume I would have to factor that into my total cost. It wasn't bad this go around (actually it was free because of my serial number made it eligible for a free one), but I can't assume all of them will be like that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iOS 12 is starting to roll out.

Workflow has been updated to Shortcuts.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Everyone prepare yourselves for an influx of Memojis

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MrBond posted:

Euro goons, do most of the credit card readers that waiters have also have NFC? When I was last on a visit there, it seemed really ingrained in the culture for you to present your card before the waitstaff would do anything so I never had a clue if the machine would take NFC/Apple pay. By contrast this didn’t seem like a problem in Canada; they seemed content to let me either insert my own card or use my phone.

It really depends on the country or city you’re going to.

e: This is weird. Workflow updated into Shortcuts but the app is still called Workflow.

Shortcuts is literally just Workflow but with a blindingly bright white background.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 17, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah looks like iOS 12 dropped, downloading it now..

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah looks like iOS 12 dropped, downloading it now..

Man iOS 12 has grouped notifications now? Honestly tempted to get an iPhone now (no joke). That has been keeping me away from iPhones for the past few years.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

nerox posted:

Verizon has my tracking number up on my order already. Tracking shows in big red letters "Per shipper instructions, package will not be delivered until the scheduled delivery date." which is Friday, but it is already in FedEX's hands.

NOOOOOOO god drat it, what is the freaking point of delaying it???

Fedex is also the biggest rear end in a top hat about delivering on the scheduled day and never before, so they'll really do that :|

Weedle
May 31, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Man iOS 12 has grouped notifications now? Honestly tempted to get an iPhone now (no joke). That has been keeping me away from iPhones for the past few years.

It had grouped notifications 2-3 years ago, then they removed them so they could bring them back with a new stacked-card look and call it an amazing new feature.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Weedle posted:

It had grouped notifications 2-3 years ago, then they removed them so they could bring them back with a new stacked-card look and call it an amazing new feature.

Oh... I didn't know that since I've been on Android for the past 6 years. That was the last big thing keeping me away from the iPhone tbh. Probably gonna pick up a cheap SE (assuming small phone nerds haven't already driven up the price).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: This is weird. Workflow updated into Shortcuts but the app is still called Workflow.

Shortcuts is literally just Workflow but with a blindingly bright white background.

Siri Shortcuts doesn't have a widget. They didn't give them a Control Centre shortcut either when they very well could have.

So, I'll keep using Workflow. It looks like you can import Workflows directly into Siri Shortcuts too, if you'd like.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That update was actually quick and painless. I figured the servers would be a little more bogged down.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Over There posted:

Isn't this iPhone X and up only?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Over There posted:

The world isn't ready for a NPC memoji. The day I see that is the day I quit the internet for good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Binary Badger posted:

Isn't this iPhone X and up only?

Which is weird as Snapchat does it fine which is all I think memojis are.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

So now that Shortcuts is properly integrated into iOS, you no longer have to confirm sending iMessages. It'll just send them out.

Use with caution.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Workflow, but with access to (some) system functions like turning bluetooth/wifi on and off, changing device volume, etc. and the ability to run shortcuts via Siri.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Taima posted:

NOOOOOOO god drat it, what is the freaking point of delaying it???

Fedex is also the biggest rear end in a top hat about delivering on the scheduled day and never before, so they'll really do that :|

This exact thing happens every year. No one is getting an iPhone early.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Uh oh... it looks like iOS 12 broke http://www.makeovr.io kinda. Home screen icons now have borders or shadows or something.

Edit: false alarm, you just have to redo your home screen if you use it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 17, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

enojy posted:

Uh oh... it looks like iOS 12 broke http://www.makeovr.io kinda. Home screen icons now have borders or shadows or something.

Please nsfw that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Awful.app not in the home row? How rude.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

xzzy posted:

Awful.app not in the home row? How rude.

If you’re on it 24/7 you don’t need a shortcut for it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Pivo posted:

Siri Shortcuts doesn't have a widget. They didn't give them a Control Centre shortcut either when they very well could have.

So, I'll keep using Workflow. It looks like you can import Workflows directly into Siri Shortcuts too, if you'd like.

You can’t keep using Workflow. Workflow is now literally Shortcuts.

Kalman posted:

Workflow, but with access to (some) system functions like turning bluetooth/wifi on and off, changing device volume, etc. and the ability to run shortcuts via Siri.

It still doesn’t have the one feature I’d like which is “return to app.”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shortcuts definitely has a widget wtf.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Boris Galerkin posted:

Please nsfw that

What! I value my circa 2013 Steve Jobsian "reach everything with your thumb" mantra, thank you very much.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pivo posted:

:thunk:

Also sending out routine emails to my staff by talking to my phone. The future is now!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

enojy posted:

What! I value my circa 2013 Steve Jobsian "reach everything with your thumb" mantra, thank you very much.

In retrospect he was absolutely right.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:thunk:

Also sending out routine emails to my staff by talking to my phone. The future is now!

It's all fun in games until you accidentally attach nudie photos from your iCloud by accident.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Servers must be getting crushed now. :lol:

Phone updated without issue but the watch is taking forever to download.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I see they’re bravely sticking to their philosophy of wasting a bunch of space on the widgets screen

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Servers must be getting crushed now. :lol:

Phone updated without issue but the watch is taking forever to download.

Watch updates always take forever. HomePod updated as well. You can now make calls from it.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Glad I waited to pull the trigger on an upgrade from my X until I could get my hands on iOS 12. This thing is snappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

New os is definitely faster on the 6s. That’s great-maybe I’ll try and get another year out of this.